Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2016, 18:43   #1051
BHPian

Took my polo petrol which has clocked 77k kms for change of brake pads. Upon inspection it was found that the discs also need to be changed. They measured the disc thickness, it was 19mm on both sides.
I need to ensure that does 19mm thickness of the discs actually warrant change? I feel the braking to be absolutely fine even now when the current set of brake pads are almost gone (won't last more than 300-400 kms)

This will be my second set of brake pads, the original set was replaced at around 36k kms and the discs were not changed at that time.

Kindly advise.
Thankyou
Old 30th July 2016, 19:18   #1052
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

An interesting observation, hence this PSA. VW has two kinds of jacks for the Polo in India - one known as the Widowmaker (I'm not making this up, I promise!) and a more regular jack.

The Polo initially came with Widowmakers as standard - see for example this image from the Polo GT TDI review
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-vwpologttdi21.jpg

It looks like this
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-_mg_0321.jpgm1372965819.jpg

There have been a ton of reports online of this jack not working very well. Some people have reportedly died under their car because the jack is unstable and the car collapses when the surface isn't perfectly flat or doesn't have enough friction. The reports I read were mostly of injuries, but still, no laughing matter.

Interestingly, newer Polos (and the Ameo) get a more traditional jack. It's wrapped in plastic here but you can see it is clearly not a Widowmaker anymore
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-vwameo30.jpg

I'm trying to work out when they upgraded the jack. Was it also with the 2014 facelift? In any case, if you have the old jack, it might be worth swapping over to the new one and you can get the nice styrofoam compartment to avoid rattling as well. In general, tyre punctures are when we first take the jack out and they are usually stressful situations (we're late, stranded in the dark, etc.) so the last thing you want is a jack collapse to add to your misery.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2016, 21:15   #1053
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
There have been a ton of reports online of this jack not working very well. Some people have reportedly died under their car because the jack is unstable and the car collapses when the surface isn't perfectly flat or doesn't have enough friction. The reports I read were mostly of injuries, but still, no laughing matter.
It's idiotic to get underneath a car supported by a simple jack like this.

Mind you, some may be worse than others, and I would be pretty upset if a jack didn't even hold the car while I was changing a wheel. Wouldn't do the car much good, even if no body parts were in the way.

But even with professional-quality jacks being used to raise it, nobody should work under a jack-supported vehicle. At the very least, they should get some bricks!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2016, 00:14   #1054
BHPian

Did the 4th year service of my Polo TDI today at EVM Trivandrum. The car has done 36K km so far. The car had done only around 3K km since last year service since I was out of station, so not much was expected to be done. But horror struck when the SA was inspecting my electricals - the indicators on the body panel were not working. Closer inspection revealed that it was due to rat bite . This was the second time the rats were chewing on the wires. The final bill came to 13.5k. The rats contributed around 3k of that.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-wp_20160805_002.jpg  

Old 6th August 2016, 13:20   #1055
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Polo initially came with Widowmakers as standard - see for example this image from the Polo GT TDI review.
You have raised an excellent point. My 2012 Polo had the Widowmaker and I used it once and frankly struggled with it. I remember cursing the design then as the footplate is insufficient for most surfaces.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2016, 15:08   #1056
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
An interesting observation, hence this PSA. VW has two kinds of jacks for the Polo in India - one known as the Widowmaker (I'm not making this up, I promise!) and a more regular jack.

The Polo initially came with Widowmakers as standard - see for example this image from the Polo GT TDI review
Attachment 1535612

It looks like this
Attachment 1535613

Interestingly, newer Polos (and the Ameo) get a more traditional jack. It's wrapped in plastic here but you can see it is clearly not a Widowmaker anymore
Attachment 1535611

I'm trying to work out when they upgraded the jack. Was it also with the 2014 facelift? In any case, if you have the old jack, it might be worth swapping over to the new one and you can get the nice styrofoam compartment to avoid rattling as well. In general, tyre punctures are when we first take the jack out and they are usually stressful situations (we're late, stranded in the dark, etc.) so the last thing you want is a jack collapse to add to your misery.
Though intially enthused about the compactness of the jack, it quickly fell out of favor with me. Unless you are using it on a perfectly level and hard piece of ground it is a dangerous piece of kit. I use the wheel jack of my father's i20 and it is so much easier and stress free.

Anyway good to see that VW is giving more sensible kit with the new cars.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2016, 19:17   #1057
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The Polo initially came with Widowmakers as standard - see for example this image from the Polo GT TDI review ... ... ...
Just checked my jack (GT TDI 1.6 2014). It is like the one in the first picture, so I guess I'd better warn my wife!

I think that a thick rubber mat, or even a square board, would make this thing a bit safer.

By the way: the only time I tried to change a tyre on my '12 Polo, it was impossible anyway. I could not loosen the nuts even by standing on the wrench --- and neither could the guy at the puncture-repair place (hole in the wall, mostly bike stuff, no pneumatic gear). Best we could do was he inflated it for me which got me to the proper tyre shop 1.5km away. What if I had been in the middle of nowhere? That which an impact wrench has done cannot be undone by mere mortal hands.

Hmmm... Add to accumulated stuff in boot: one rubber pad, one piece of wood, one steel-tube wrench extender. And elsewhere, GTO, in a basic car-care thread, advises, don't use your car as an attic. No chance!

My back seat is the loft, boot is the toolshed!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 6th August 2016 at 19:19.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2016, 01:54   #1058
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Just checked my jack (GT TDI 1.6 2014). It is like the one in the first picture, so I guess I'd better warn my wife!

I think that a thick rubber mat, or even a square board, would make this thing a bit safer.
I would recommend that you go for a new jack instead - trying to make that contraption work isn't worth the risk. Keeps your boot a little less messy too.
Old 7th August 2016, 10:16   #1059

What would be a good jack that you folks will recommend? I have had some really bad experiences with this jack but since I have never used another one, I just assumed this is how jacks work!

Ashwin
Old 7th August 2016, 15:42   #1060
Distinguished - BHPian

It is a bit like standing on one leg. For the clearance needed to change a wheel, I think it is ok.

Never, ever get under a car supported only by a jack anyway. ...not even the super-pro hydraulic wheelly ones.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 12:27   #1061
BHPian

Got a question,

How much does a VW front Logo costs ? Is there a place in Bangalore that I can source it from, a TVS XL's handle while crossing across bumped right into my VW polo's Logo and broke it, I didn't notice it till that evening, the Chrome Trim and the black plastic in the middle got broken. ASS quoted 2000 for the same

thanks
kk
Old 16th August 2016, 12:55   #1062
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishore1984 View Post
How much does a VW front Logo costs ?
If you are OK shopping online, check AliExpress. They'll definitely have it done VW is popular.
Old 16th August 2016, 14:17   #1063
BHPian

All,

I have Polo HL 1.5L Tdi 2015 Nov model, I want to replace my HU to a better one with reverse cam and bigger screen, without having to loose the steering mounted controls. Please advise.

Thanks,
Rajesh

Last edited by 2500cc : 16th August 2016 at 14:18.
Old 16th August 2016, 14:49   #1064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishore1984 View Post
Got a question,

How much does a VW front Logo costs ? Is there a place in Bangalore that I can source it from, a TVS XL's handle while crossing across bumped right into my VW polo's Logo and broke it, I didn't notice it till that evening, the Chrome Trim and the black plastic in the middle got broken. ASS quoted 2000 for the same

thanks
kk
It's available on ebay India. Check the below URL

http://www.ebay.in/itm/252-VW-VOLKSW...gAAOSw-YBXGnSt
Old 16th August 2016, 15:44   #1065

Folks,

I was talking to the service rep at VW Whitefiled (Apple Auto). He quoted INR 12000 for a lock carrier for VW Vento diesel. Users in the forum have paid <4K in the recent past. Please advise.

Ashwin

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks