Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2016, 10:48   #1021
BHPian

Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
This service should not affect warranty, as per SA in Pune, it was added later on as people were not checking oil level in between leading to issues. Skipping a 1 Yr 15K , 2 Yr 30 K service etc will cancel your warranty.

Rahul
Thanks for that, Rahul. I did get an appointment fixed with BU Bhandari for the 19th. Must say, the entire process they have in place for servicing is pretty robust! It was a pleasure interacting with the folks there, looks like they have an enthusiastic bunch of people. Let's see how the inspection goes this Sunday!
Old 13th June 2016, 18:26   #1022
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanaticOnWheels View Post
I did get an appointment fixed with BU Bhandari for the 19th. Must say, the entire process they have in place for servicing is pretty robust! It was a pleasure interacting with the folks there, looks like they have an enthusiastic bunch of people. Let's see how the inspection goes this Sunday!
I'm very happy with service provided by BU Bhandari. About an year and half ago I had called to book for my 30K service, and a issue with gears slotting they said they did not have a slot, to which I had replied that my warranty was about to get over, they called me immediately, and replaced the defective gear shifter and cables free of cost, and appointment for service was given for the following week.

Another incidence was about brake pads. the SA had said VW recommends that brake pads are changed at 30K km. I had replied is it really needed, to which he said let me check wear, the lining was more than 11 mm, when new has lining of 14 mm, I did not change it then.
recently at 60K km I again checked, it was 9 mm, to which he said even if lining remains, it hardens in with age so replace at 3 Years even if there is no wear, to which I agreed. Most other SA's say it is compulsary to change brake pads at 30K km.

Rahul
Old 13th June 2016, 18:54   #1023
BHPian

Quote:
I'm very happy with service provided by BU Bhandari. About an year and half ago I had called to book for my 30K service, and a issue with gears slotting they said they did not have a slot, to which I had replied that my warranty was about to get over, they called me immediately, and replaced the defective gear shifter and cables free of cost, and appointment for service was given for the following week.

Another incidence was about brake pads. the SA had said VW recommends that brake pads are changed at 30K km. I had replied is it really needed, to which he said let me check wear, the lining was more than 11 mm, when new has lining of 14 mm, I did not change it then.
recently at 60K km I again checked, it was 9 mm, to which he said even if lining remains, it hardens in with age so replace at 3 Years even if there is no wear, to which I agreed. Most other SA's say it is compulsary to change brake pads at 30K km.

Rahul
Quite true. I had a flavour of it when I checked my coolant level, and it was at the Min. level line. I was about to buy a coolant from their store, when they offered to check the levels just to be sure. A person came and checked, and told me the level is perfectly fine (it apparently has to go below the arrow for any alarm to be raised), and told me there is no need to purchase a coolant. Just double checked the engine oil levels, and got an appointment for the 7500km/6 month inspection for this week. Looking forward to the check up. Looks like these guys work with true intent!
Old 14th June 2016, 19:29   #1024
BHPian

Did the 1yr/15k service at KTC Volkswagen, Cochin.

Based on the service operations mandated by VW, I gave the SA a list of things to be done on the car. I did explicitly mention that I would not pay for anything else. Gave the car at 9am and got it back by 2:30pm. The proforma invoice had an unnecessary item which the SA said was the charge for checking errors etc. I refused to pay and asked him to strike it off which he did without any resistance. The labor rate mentioned seemed to be on the higher side as the VW website/app shows a lower rate for my city. I let it slide and will probably send a mail to VW later seeking clarification. Maybe they have increased the rates recently, but haven't updated the website/app.

The oil looks light black in color now and the dipstick shows the right quantity. Coolant was topped up to a shade above the max level, shall reduce it to the correct level. Checked some of the filters and it looks brand new. The gears seem to have gained a wee bit more slickness than before. There was a slight rattle from the cluster on tiled/broken roads which seems to have vanished now. They also washed and cleaned the car inside-out.

Here's the bill:
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-first-service-12523-kms-copy.png

Last edited by BigBrad : 14th June 2016 at 19:37.
BigBrad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2016, 14:53   #1025
Senior - BHPian

They are billing 4.31 lit of Engine oil !!.
in Pune they bill 4+1 Lit and return the tin with about 700ml in it for top up.

Rahul
Old 17th June 2016, 18:09   #1026
BHPian

Quote:
They are billing 4.31 lit of Engine oil !!.
in Pune they bill 4+1 Lit and return the tin with about 700ml in it for top up.
At the dealership here, oil is dispensed from those big barrels with a metered mechanism. So the technician can fill in the exact quantity required.
Old 20th June 2016, 21:08   #1027
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I got a concern and would really appreciate any expert advice/opinion:

Last weekend had taken my GT out to my in-laws farm and on the return leg, the car was completed loaded (boot) with 4 adults on board. One of the railway crossing had a very weird speed breaker, which was wide and tall.
I slowed down to a crawl but soon as the front wheels had crossed, the centre sank and scraped the hump quite loud (bad) !!

- I don't see any damage that is alarming, or at least nothing that I could make out. Anything in particular that I must be looking at?

- This is the first time that this had happened? Anybody else have had this experience and any tips to share on the damage analysis?

- I don't have any underbody coating or anything of that sorts. Would that help with such mishaps?
Old 20th June 2016, 21:35   #1028
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Guys, I got a concern and would really appreciate any expert advice/opinion:

- I don't have any underbody coating or anything of that sorts. Would that help with such mishaps?
Well underbody coating is done to make the chasis rust proof. It is helpful for folks staying in humid areas. Just try to visually inspect if there is any sort of bend or something. VW cars have a very strong chasis among all the cars out there.So my guess is that there would not have been any damage in your car. Well in such a case you will appreciate why VW cars have such a big hump in the middle, to protect the exhaust pipes and fuel lines. So do not worry if your car is new.
You can refer to
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3618918

Last edited by redcruiser : 20th June 2016 at 21:37.
redcruiser is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2016, 22:07   #1029
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I slowed down to a crawl but soon as the front wheels had crossed, the centre sank and scraped the hump quite loud (bad) !!

- I don't see any damage that is alarming, or at least nothing that I could make out. Anything in particular that I must be looking at?

- This is the first time that this had happened? Anybody else have had this experience and any tips to share on the damage analysis?

The sound was of the underbody chassis scrapping or even hitting against the speed breaker. Mostly, they are well forgiven by our machines. If every thing feels okay, it must be so. Do not worry too much. Just observe the underbody during the next service when the car is on the ramp. You may notice a few scrapping marks there and that should be it. As a corrective action, you may apply some paint to cover the scratches at the most to prevent rusting, if bare metal is out.
At the most, you may hit the catcon/ silencer muffler but had you damaged the muffler enough to pierce it, the sound of your exhaust would have changed. I am guessing that is not the case. Most cars have enough underbody protection or design to isolate critical parts being damaged in such occurances. Just be sure NEVER to hit the under engine area like the engine sump, oil filter or the gearbox.

You may in future take on the tall speed humps at an angled (angled approach) which helps clear most of them; just be cautious of rear traffic.

Source:
My all life experience of owning only notoriously low ground clearance cars- Fiat 1100D, Maruti Zen and Honda Civic
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2016, 22:15   #1030
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
[b]
No such coatings would help as mentioned in the previous posts.

All seem fine but ensure to check( personally) for any under body damages during the next service.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2016, 10:05   #1031
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post

So do not worry if your car is new.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post

You may in future take on the tall speed humps at an angled (angled approach) which helps clear most of them; just be cautious of rear traffic.

Source:
My all life experience of owning only notoriously low ground clearance cars- Fiat 1100D, Maruti Zen and Honda Civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

All seem fine but ensure to check( personally) for any under body damages during the next service.
Thank you loads red cruiser & volkman10 and really appreciate your suggestions

This is the very first time I have actually scrapped any if my cars in nearly 10yrs of driving. In fact, the same speed breaker was dispatched without any fuss during the onward journey when it was just me and wifey onboard. So going forward, I will ensure to be doubly cautious while sailing over any speed bumps, especially if I have >2 occupants.

@saket77 - I can only imagine what sort of expertise you may have gathered from driving 'One of the Hottest Cars' in India ever (Civic) with the most notorious flaw of any cars (ground clearance). So I take you word for that buddy.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2016, 14:06   #1032
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is the very first time I have actually scrapped any if my cars in nearly 10yrs of driving.

I had to check back as to what you are posting about, and am relieved to find that your meant scraped. Also, slightly ashamed that, as a native English speaker, I had to check with Google Define --- but it is the kind of spelling mistake or typo that I have been making all my life!

All the best for the underside of your car. I hope it is ok. You might get it checked before the next service is due: if there is any damage to the underseal then rust might start.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2016, 14:18   #1033
BHPian

what kind of an effect do these VCDS mods have on warranty ? i have a 2 week old polo and would the ASS notice these changes done during checkup and void warranty ?

I am planning to install a new cabin light and also automatic headlight sensor on the car but now I am starting to worry as a lot of my friends are advising not to mess with it much

anyone had issues with regards to warranty ?

thanks
kk
Old 21st June 2016, 14:27   #1034
Senior - BHPian

Under body scraping big humps is common in most low slung sedans. In my opinion only Corolla and SX4 are free of that.
I must have done it a few 100 times, initially I used to check the underbody, but never the edges below the running board (Jack Points) which often bend. I realised the hard way that the rib below the underbody that the jack slots into bends, and you cannot fit the jack there. The middle of the car is designed to not damage on scraping.

Rahul
Old 21st June 2016, 15:02   #1035
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

I had to check back as to what you are posting about, and am relieved to find that your meant scraped.
Ah the benefits of having "iOS (Mac)" decide right word while typing

Thank you Thad E Ginathom for correcting the word in my post, I am quite sure I remember typing 'Scraped', but inadvertently was updated to 'Scrapped' I guess.

And yes, thank you for the suggestion. I have a long way to go for the next service though, but surely will get it on the ramp and get it inspected very soon for any damages.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks