Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2016, 14:27   #901
BHPian

Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Hi All,
I am using Polo TDI and getting new hissing sound in my AC for past few days. Whenever I switch on the AC, the hissing sound comes for few seconds. After switch off the AC, hearing the hissing sound for 10 seconds. Normally I hear the same sound in our home windows ACs after switch off, but not sure why it is coming in Car AC suddenly.
Anyone facing this issues? Please help me to understand the problem before going to ASC for check-up. Thanks.
Old 8th January 2016, 10:03   #902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencharles View Post
Got all 4 speed sensors replaced (after a repeat diagnostic test). Cost of sensors/taxes/labor 17 K. Operations Normal. Questions/Lessons:-
1. Does failure of one speed sensor subsequently affect other sensors? The mechanic had some opinion like this. I landed up changing all sensors eventually. A stitch in time saves nine?
2. The butter smooth steering was a result of wrong sensing of speed (lower than real) due defective speed sensor and thus more power assist being given to turn the wheel; could be dangerous when actually at higher speeds.
That's the best way to go. I had a repeated "Check Engine" sensor issue for about 6 months last year and it simply wouldn't go away even after 6 visits to the SC. Each time the blame was put to some other issue and the car returned after some "temporary fix". The warning light would return in 4 to days.
Finally, after due escalation, only when the sensor was replaced was this completely resolved. Mine was done free of cost(still under warranty), though I was given the invoice which stated about Rs.4000.
aneezan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2016, 07:23   #903
Senior - BHPian

Polo TDI has covered 11,000 kms in 9 months. Been running on 205 Continental MC5 tyres.

Have noticed when braked at speeds roughly in excess of 70 kmph, I could see vibrations in brake pedal. This was there for quiet sometime....may be I have been noticing since 2-3k kms on ODO. Most of the runs are within heavy traffic region, so the chances of experiencing this is rare, except when I take it on highways...so attention to it got postponed every time -:(

Sent it to a garage for oil change at 7500 kms as it runs on a remapped version, so prefer to change oil at 7.5K interval. Mechanic observed the same issue & suggested to get the front rotors refaced. Indicated a cost of Rs.4K to get this done. Never had similar problems with any of my previous cars so soon.

Not sure whether this will be covered under warranty..anyway planning to get it to the service station.
Old 10th January 2016, 23:00   #904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Polo TDI has covered 11,000 kms in 9 months. Been running on 205 Continental MC5 tyres.

Have noticed when braked at speeds roughly in excess of 70 kmph, I could see vibrations in brake pedal. This was there for quiet sometime....may be I have been noticing since 2-3k kms on ODO. Most of the runs are within heavy traffic region, so the chances of experiencing this is rare, except when I take it on highways...so attention to it got postponed every time -:(

Sent it to a garage for oil change at 7500 kms as it runs on a remapped version, so prefer to change oil at 7.5K interval. Mechanic observed the same issue & suggested to get the front rotors refaced. Indicated a cost of Rs.4K to get this done. Never had similar problems with any of my previous cars so soon.

Not sure whether this will be covered under warranty..anyway planning to get it to the service station.
Couple of points:
- My rotors were replaced at 14,000km for the same issue. Would have been better if you had raised the issue at less than 10,000km, but still worth a shot - I'd first raised the issue at 8500km, so the mileage wasn't an issue for me. This issue normally relates to disc thickness variation or uneven wear on the rotors (usually incorrectly referred to as rotor warping). So, it could be a manufacturing issue with the disc, or relating to how the rotor was installed.
- Even VW takes Rs. 700 to get the rotors skimmed. Either ways, 99.9% that should fix the issue. I don't see why your mechanic should charge Rs. 4,000. For close to that price, you'll get a new set of rotors, if I recall correctly.
- Remapping modifies a lot of items, but none of them have anything that would require engine oil being changed early. Just know that you're using synthetic oil, and there's no scientific or mechanical reason to change it so early. However, to each his own, and if you'd like to continue the practise, I'd recommend getting it done from VW itself. It doesn't seem like your mechanic is too cheap, and this way at least you'll form a good relationship with your local VW service station, something that'll go a long way with any issue that may arise in the future.

Last edited by bosporus : 10th January 2016 at 23:01.
bosporus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2016, 21:00   #905
Senior - BHPian

Our Polo just got its first cut. Dad reversed the car and didn't notice that he was too close to the gate.

The good news is, the mirror took the hit (the new ones don't fold the other way) and the body didn't touch anything. The bad news is that the dealer says it'll cost around Rs. 5000 and the part isn't available for a couple of days.

1) Is it worth paying for this out of pocket or should I use the zero dep insurance?

2) Also, is there somewhere that I can verify this price? It's the new body colored mirror with integrated blinkers and electric adjust. Manual folding though. The price includes labour and painting so just double checking that I'm not being cheated.

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 12th January 2016 at 21:30.
Old 13th January 2016, 13:16   #906
CPJ
BHPian

Hi Team,
Just completed the first free inspection of my VW Polo TDi Highline.
The car covered 7500 KM in about 5 months of time. Took the service appointment @ Volkswagen Pune West (B U Bhandari) about a week in advance and went there at the allocated date and time.

The service centre was quite busy as it was Saturday, however was attended by the Service Advisor immediately. He asked for any issues and informed me that, only inspection would be carried out of the vehicle and the oil top up would be done. I said fine and told him that I would be waiting at the service centre itself.

This being the first free inspection,the filters were cleaned, all major components checked for any issue, battery health was checked and Oil top-up was done.The oil top up was done in front of me and the car took in close to 1.2 litres of oil. I was informed that it is normal for a diesel car to consume that much oil in the first six months. Is it true? The car was then sent for washing and I was out of the Service Centre in about 4 hours.(Close to a hour was lost due to lunch break).

Overall, it was a good experience and the bill for the oil top up (2X1 litre Oil bottle) came out to be around 1900/- with taxes, with the remaining oil out of the 1 litre bottle given to me.

Regards,
CPJ.
Old 14th January 2016, 19:33   #907
BHPian

Hi,
can anyone help me with the service costs and expenses with the new polo diesel.
i'm seriously planning to buy one but hearing these unnecessary comments about the service costs and expenses.
Thanks in advance.
Old 16th January 2016, 13:31   #908

I just dropped my Polo TDI for first service at VW Mangalore after running 15k kms in 10 months. Attached is the estimated cost given by the SA (quantity and costs not finalised).

1. Do they really use 4.9L of oil?
2. Is it advisable to just clean the fuel and AC filters instead of replacing as done by some fellow members?
3. The item 'PLUG WITH' is, as told by the SA, an aluminium plug which once removed (for oil changing purpose) cannot be used again. Is that true?
4. I opted out from WA/WB/WR since I have a trusted wheel expert in my place. Is this a good decision?
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-img_20160116_131223.jpg  

Old 16th January 2016, 17:32   #909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPJ View Post
Hi Team,
Just completed the first free inspection of my VW Polo TDi Highline.
The car covered 7500 KM in about 5 months of time.

The oil top up was done in front of me and the car took in close to 1.2 litres of oil. I was informed that it is normal for a diesel car to consume that much oil in the first six months. Is it true?

Regards,
CPJ.
Consumption of 1.2 lit of oil in 7500 km does not look normal to me.

Please check the current oil level on the dipstick (in the morning after an overnight parking). Is it above the maximum mark (due to 1.2 lit top up)? More oil than necessary can cause great problems in the engine.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2016, 19:18   #910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayazhajimalang View Post
I just dropped my Polo TDI for first service at VW Mangalore after running 15k kms in 10 months. Attached is the estimated cost given by the SA (quantity and costs not finalised).

1. Do they really use 4.9L of oil?
2. Is it advisable to just clean the fuel and AC filters instead of replacing as done by some fellow members?
3. The item 'PLUG WITH' is, as told by the SA, an aluminium plug which once removed (for oil changing purpose) cannot be used again. Is that true?
4. I opted out from WA/WB/WR since I have a trusted wheel expert in my place. Is this a good decision?
4.9 litres of engine oil? Drain of some oil either from a FNG or from the service centre. The engine oil level should not exceed the Max level A in the dipstick when the engine is at OPERATING temperature( refer your manual).
Did the service for my Vento day before and they filled 4.8 l. Went back yesterday after filing a complaint. They drained the oil a bit ( a few 100ml just to get it to Max level A) with a lot of hesitation. They claim it's perfectly normal and it won't cause any harm. Decided to go against their wishes for peace of mind.
Plug with is replaced during every service. But when they drained the oil yesterday they didn't change it. Will check the engine oil regularly anyway to check abnormal loss due to leak.
Looks like it's a common practice in all the VW service centres in Kerala to fill 4.8 to 4.9l of engine oil when VW recommends 4.3( which will cover only 40% of the dipstick). Strange.
Old 17th January 2016, 17:20   #911

I will drain some asap then. Never knew excess oil would do harm.

I received my car yesterday at around 5pm. The final invoice is attached. Here are some points I noted.

1. I checked the oil and it was black! When I asked about this, the SA told that oil immediately becomes black in diesel cars. Though I found the same info when I searched on the forum, does it really become black after driving for 6 kms? How can I make sure that it was replaced and not just topped up?

2. This is important. The fuel filter they fixed was different than what was shown in the estimate. The SA told me nothing about this. I noticed price difference and asked him. The estimate had filter with part no. 6RF127400A (Rs.1128) but the final invoice had one with part no. 6RF127401A (Rs.1701). The SA told that this was the new version which is used in Vento and VW now sends the same filter for Polo and Vento. How true is that?

3. The final invoice initially had a 'brake cleaning' service (around Rs.200). I told SA that I never opted for it. He tried to bluff that it was part of the routine service. When I proved to him that I was an informed customer (thanks to TBHP), he agreed and cancelled it. Was that 'brake cleaning' really necessary?

4. Is it a good practice to ask for and take the old filters with you to prevent misuse by these people?
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-final-invoice-polo-16012016-1.jpg  

Old 20th January 2016, 15:38   #912

Hi all,

I have some bad news. A bike with 4 passengers moving at high speed on a cross section (4 way) banged into my driver side door head on because the biker could not control the bike and bike partially skidded into my car door. The accident damaged the driver side door with a hole and adjacent passenger side door. The doors are stuck now and I didn't force them to avoid problems with auto lock. Unfortuantely this incident happened while driving through a village in TN (Tamil Nadu) about 350KMs from Bangalore. The person didn't know hindi/english and didn't had any insurance/license (found after visting Police station), there was no scope of getting any compensation from them. They were just being aggresive. I just left after giving them Rs. 500/-. I paid them in name of settlement and left the wretched place at 5.30pm to reach Bangalore because I wanted to cross the village roads before it got dark.

Now I need to make insurance claim about this. I have not made any claims in past but a conversation with insurance helpline did tell me that FIR is not needed to make a claim. He wanted to know if I will claim in TN or Karnataka. I said I don't know now, then he told me you can claim later as well.

What is the recommendation here from experienced folks?

Should I tell the story as is or change? Will the company not ask me to get claim from biker or something? Also will this affect my future premiums? My NCB is just Rs. 670/-. My insurance provider is Bharti Axa with Comprehensive insurance policy.

Also posting here because I want to know which VW service center in Bangalore should I give this to. The work needed is on car body and doors body (may be replacement of driver door). All internals are working fine, including door switches and auto locking. No major damage to paint either. (pictures attached)

I have recently done service (Dec 2015 end) at VW Hessarghatta branch and service was strictly fine (I will put that experience too in another post but I want to take a pic of bill which is in my car right now). This branch is around 28 KMs for me.

I have dealt with VW Whitefield in past service (Aug 2014) and service experience was that they are not a communicative bunch. I have also heard bad things about VW Hosur road and avoided them but they are also closest to me (6-7 KMs).

VW Rajaji Nagar is the branch I don't know about & couldn't get suitable appointment here.

Please give some guidance. I have attached pictures of damage and damage is just to body. Car drives fine and all electricals/mechanicals work fine.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-img_20160117_170832.jpg  

VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-img_20160117_170823.jpg  

Old 20th January 2016, 15:45   #913
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hunt View Post
The person didn't know hindi/english and didn't had any insurance/license (found after visting Police station), there was no scope of getting any compensation from them. They were just being aggresive. I just left after giving them Rs. 500/-. I paid them in name of settlement and left the wretched place at 5.30pm to reach Bangalore because I wanted to cross the village roads before it got dark.

Please give some guidance. I have attached pictures of damage and damage is just to body. Car drives fine and all electricals/mechanicals work fine.

Thank you.
Did you file an FIR or have a complaint acknowledgement from the Police?

If not you can only file a self accident, if you mention 3rd party involvement insurance might insist on an FIR.
Old 20th January 2016, 15:49   #914
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hunt View Post
I have dealt with VW Whitefield in past service (Aug 2014) and service experience was that they are not a communicative bunch. I have also heard bad things about VW Hosur road and avoided them but they are also closest to me (6-7 KMs).

VW Rajaji Nagar is the branch I don't know about & couldn't get suitable appointment here.
Sorry to hear about the accident. In all probability they will replace the door.

I do regular service at VW - Hesarghatta cross and they seem to be better than the Whitefield Service center ( visited once).
Old 20th January 2016, 15:54   #915

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Did you file an FIR or have a complaint acknowledgement from the Police?

If not you can only file a self accident, if you mention 3rd party involvement insurance might insist on an FIR.
I didn't file FIR and didn't take copy of complaint acknowledgement. The letter simply said that I'm settling and will not file FIR for this in future. That's what the police guys wanted else they kept me waiting for 2.5 hours in name of FIR & keeping car till Monday to show motor vehicle inspector.

What should I say if I'm filing self accident given the pics of damage?

Most Viewed