Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2015, 10:41   #706
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by F2005 View Post

Any pointers in Bangalore to remove it.
Hey F2005 sorry to see your Polo in that state. If you are in B'lore, ensure to:

- Keep some distance from the vehicle in front.
- Try to avoid panic braking as far as possible. Many 'Two wheeler riders' in B'lore love trying out the proverbial "Threading a needle" in peak traffic conditions & Junctions !!

You can try any of these based on your convenience:

Sai Colorium:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bangal...-colorium.html

Trend Automobiles:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bangal...bangalore.html

Last edited by Vik0728 : 23rd January 2015 at 10:43.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2015, 11:43   #707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
- Keep some distance from the vehicle in front.
- Try to avoid panic braking as far as possible. Many 'Two wheeler riders' in B'lore love trying out the proverbial "Threading a needle" in peak traffic conditions & Junctions !!
This was on the elevated highway and not panic braking. Another two wheeler managed to stop.
Quote:
You can try any of these based on your convenience:
Thanks, will check them out.
Old 5th February 2015, 16:10   #708
Distinguished - BHPian

Sundaram motors did a beautiful job on my rear door and wing. Looks like new. They failed to do minor touch up dab-of-paint work on the minor scratches, as required. Have logged that, and will probably take it back at my convenience.

It's a bit depressing to post all the money detail, because I spent total Rs.23,000, but I think the tinkering/painting cost me 9,000.

Those inevitable broken AC Vents... no warranty, of course, but kicking up a bit of stink in reception leads to them "seeing what they can do." They got me a free horn replacement, on this basis, last year, so I left it at that. They cam back with my having to pay 50% of one AC vent and 30% of another. Whatever formula led to this remains a mystery, but it was enough to satisfy my pride, and I accepted.

They assure me that, yes, VW have taken account of the poor quality leading to breakage. and the new ones will last longer than 2 years. That leaves one vent which will surely break this year. I probably won't bother to fight about that!

They told me they needed the car until Monday, and gave it back on Saturday. That enabled me to have an otherwise cancelled day out on Sunday. Good marks!

On the whole, given that perfection is impossible to find in the motor trade, and that Abra motors service station is a loooong way from my home (I have nothing else against them), I can say that Sundaram Motors, Whites Road, are not bad people to deal with. Whilst the extended warranty lasts, I'll certainly go back to them.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 5th February 2015 at 16:14.
Old 6th February 2015, 12:03   #709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F2005 View Post
After driving 10k kms in 4 months, I get my first dent.
A two wheeler who couldn't stop on time managed to hit the under part of the rear bumper.

There are only minor scratches and a small dent. Any pointers in Bangalore to remove it.
Thats very sad to hear. Most commuters are so aggressive in Bangalore and they just arent focused on the job in hand i.e driving/riding safely.

The car seems to be new considering its only 4 months old. Maybe you want to go to the showroom on your next visit?

Last edited by noopster : 6th February 2015 at 12:25. Reason: Please check PM
Old 6th February 2015, 22:55   #710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Those inevitable broken AC Vents...
Lord, how does one avoid this? Sewing machine oil? Or is there no way at all? I can't find any good cheap stuff on aliexpress either..
Old 6th February 2015, 23:37   #711
Distinguished - BHPian

I believe there is no way one can avoid it. Mine lasted longer than many. It would probably have been an easy claim if they had failed in the first year.

I don't think it is a matter of lubrication, just of weak or badly designed plastic parts. I doubt that one could apply anything that would help --- and one runs the risk of permanent oil smell thereafter.

I hope it is true that the replacements are of an improved standard. One hopes that they also put the same improved ones into the production line. But when? Does anyone have any clue?

My Polo is a 2011 car, bought in Feb 2012. Certainly it was fitted with the rubbish vents.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 6th February 2015 at 23:40.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2015, 09:36   #712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Lord, how does one avoid this? Sewing machine oil? Or is there no way at all? I can't find any good cheap stuff on aliexpress either..
Mine too had broken, but when i opened the assembly what i saw that the pegs got displaced from its seat probably by some force applied by me or someone while changing vent direction.

I used some cello tapes to make sure they dont jump out again. The right side vent had a broken peg which surprisingly was still lying in the vent assembly, I used good old stick-fast to put them back into place though it required lots of eye straining and using tweezers to hold the peg and to avoid stick-fast on your fingers. Also to avoid any future similar problems, I did the cello tape procedure on the left side vent also which was perfectly ok.

Just one thing to be kept in mind is to not try to move the vents once you see them misaligned (or maybe one would feel its broken), you may break the little peg which would then warrant replacement of the entire assembly. Apologies for not taking any pics when I did this.
rahulk2510 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2015, 11:21   #713
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I don't think we have to worry as yet. If you have noticed, none of the owners from the 2013 batches onward, have complained of their vents breaking down. Will wait and watch if ours too fail eventually. *fingers crossed*

As for Aliexpress, the vents are available as a set or individually (link). Send a message to the seller for getting the quotes for the individual vents.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 7th February 2015 at 11:34.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2015, 13:03   #714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
I don't think we have to worry as yet. If you have noticed, none of the owners from the 2013 batches onward, have complained of their vents breaking down. Will wait and watch if ours too fail eventually. *fingers crossed*

As for Aliexpress, the vents are available as a set or individually (link). Send a message to the seller for getting the quotes for the individual vents.
Gannu, that's fantastic to hear! I saw the exact same link at 76$ and got a shock!
Old 7th February 2015, 14:38   #715
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Gannu, that's fantastic to hear! I saw the exact same link at 76$ and got a shock!
Yep. VW service centers quotes some 8k odd for these. These guys ship it using the regular postal services a.k.a snail mail. If there are a bunch of guys looking for replacement, a GO (group order) can bring down the pricing. These dealers can be negotiated with reasonably. And the consignment can be shipped using a better courier service like DPEX (shipments reached me in a week's time; no duties charged) or DHL. Duties could be shared and the whole thing will end up being cheaper.

Replacing the vents is a simple DIY job - centre vents, side vents.

PS: Donating to the site is useless. There are no user profiles and the popups would still appear.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2015, 09:52   #716
Senior - BHPian

Might be OT...

Has anyone used the RogerAB suspension inserts? I wanted to firm up the suspension a bit especially at the rear...and was thinking of using these.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 15th February 2015, 08:33   #717
BHPian

I have a repair solution for VW air vents. I have successfully repaired all 4 of my vents and now they are stronger than they originally were. I cannot post pictures as I have already repaired all my vents but I will explain how to do it. I have also demonstrated to the Kolkata Budge Budge workshop supervisor how to do it and he is one happy man.

The point of failure is the miniature pins on the lower end of each vane. They are so small that you can barely see them and after they break out of their respective slots they are invisible. You will notice that on each vane there is a thicker pin portion at the bottom but this is the portion to which the actual vane pin was moulded. The trick is to make a support for this portion which when pushed from the front will hold it in place.

You will notice that there is a long gap at the bottom of the vane all along the portion where the thicker pins of the vane rotate. This is about 1 mm thick. Cut some hard plastic sheet like the one's you get behind collars of new shirts. The width should be about 1.5 mm. and then trim the length to the gap below the vent where the thick pins sit. Now make sure that all the vent pins are in position and insert this strip of stiff plastic in the gap along the bottom of the vane. At this point if you keep the plastic strip pressed by your finger and try to rotate the vanes from the front it will work fine. Now, carefully use some superglue/feviquik dabs on the top of the plastic strip that you have inserted. Be careful, if too much glue falls out you would stick the thick pins to the body rendering the vane useless. Use just enough to stick the plastic strip to the non-moving part of the body. Let it dry and test to see if pressure from moving the vane from front tries to dislodge the plastic strip at any point along the length. If so, dab the glue that point. Let it dry and use your vent without worry forever or till any other portion breaks - this portion will not break ever.

If any one in Kolkata has VW broken vents he is welcome to bring it to me and we will work on it while taking pics so that everyone is benefitted.
Deepak K Gupta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2015, 14:11   #718
Distinguished - BHPian

I do hope someone takes you up on that. It sounds like you did a very good job there, and a photo how-to guide would be useful.
Old 18th February 2015, 20:00   #719
BHPian

Got my first service done on my Polo 1.5 TDI at VW hosur road. Did it when it when the car is 13k kms itself as the oil was low and the car felt a little rough.
Total bill of around 11.6k without alignment and balancing.

VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-ary6z1rkjxkc41tjnc4q5gkt86yihw9nx7bzzbumehoo.jpg
Old 18th February 2015, 20:13   #720
Team-BHP Support

Sr. nos. 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11 could have been avoided IMO. You should have a look at some of the bills posted in the previous pages in this thread - gives you an idea of what to change and what not.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks