Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2013, 15:52   #391
BHPian

Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina View Post
All,
Got the 3rd service of P 1.6 done around the end of last month.

Work done - Regular 3rd service fluids/lubricants, filters change; brake adjustments/sanding; door noise fix; spark plug replacement; fix engine vibration on start (I do have hydraulic mounts); other minor bits here and there.

have they remapped the ECU?

Improved FE

Note: Had noticed a vibration (noise) from somewhere under the dashboard under acceleration at RPM range of 1500-2200 2nd and 3rd gear
Wow! Stunning replication of the same problems..

By the way, I have a Fabia 1.6 approaching 2 years of ownership and just celebrated a 20k kms of trouble free ownership a couple days ago.

But the niggling and nagging issues continue-
1. The driver side door still gives that irritating squeak at the 3rd stage of door opening. There's probably no other lubricant in this world that I have not tried - WD40, WS220, White Lithium Grease! Arrgh. I did make a mention of this to the service advisor but it's so low in decibels that the noise at the workshop silences the squeak.

2. Thanks for the suggestion regarding tightening the "hydraulic" engine mounts. Yes, I went through the warranty replacement once. It has almost started to sound like a diesel when cranked.

3. I still do have a corrective job to be done with a rattling noise emanating from the left side suspension over rough roads. Just couldn't manage to replicate the sound while the service engineer joined me for a pin.

4. The rattling noise emanating "seemingly" from the dash need NOT be from the dash. I had a similar problem, and then it was diagnosed to be a rattling hose pipe in the engine bay. It never re-surfaced.
Old 6th February 2013, 19:11   #392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
• Minor rear seat noise.
Quote:
Also there was a very very minor noise (bearable) coming from rear left. They diagnosed the problem that shock absorber is defective.
Quote:
VW Millenium, Gurgaon spent 2-3 days (different days, I never left the car with them) in diagnosing but they could not.

So, this time, I went to VW, Motinagar, Delhi for 30k service AND this noise. They spend lot of time and in the evening, I suggested them if there is something between body and shock absorber, that needs to be checked. They checked the mounting and bang on, this was the reason. They did not have it in stock so they checked it with another Polo's mounting. So, problem diagnosed.
Finally, after 8 months, the problem fixed. The culprit part replaced. The part number is 1J0513353B (Shock Absorber Mount)

Total cost Rs.1768/- (1493 parts + 275 labor)
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-u.jpg  

Old 7th February 2013, 20:12   #393
BHPian

Hey guys,

I'm going to be getting my Polo by this month's end. Any tips on maintaining it well?

Thanks & Regards
Old 11th February 2013, 13:37   #394
BHPian

I got my Polo TDI serviced on Friday. This was the 15K service. Bill came to Rs. 8200(I told them not to do interior cleaning), which would have costed another 1K.

Initially the SA said there was the seat frame campaign to be done on my car and he will need 2 days. The second day when I called him up, he said seat frame campaign is not required, but there are two others that will be done. Suspension spacers & steering wiring cover. When I went to take delivery, only suspension spacer thing was mentioned in the work sheet. It is supposed to reduce suspension noises and raise the ride height by a couple of mm. Polo owners please note, if you scrape the bottom often or have suspension noise issues you should go check with VW service.

I found the air filter & the ac filter in the boot. When I check with the SA for the oil filter & diesel filter, he said we do not give it out since it may spoil the interiors(oil leakage). So I am not sure if the workshop has actually changed the oil filter & the diesel filter. Is there anyway I can confirm this?

I checked the oil and it was already greenish black. I wasn't expecting this. I know diesel engine oil turns black quickly. But the VW workship in Pune has hardly any space to drive around. They would not have driven more than 500 M within the compound. So is it possible that the oil would turn black in such short interval?

Since the service I have been driving around over the weekend. Did a fair amount(~200km).

- The first thing I noticed was I was revving more than I usually do. I usually keep it under 2500 RPM. Now I was doing 3000 RPM without even noticing(Vibrations/Noise/Feel if you know what I mean). So either the engine has become incredibly smooth, or the second point below.

- Before the service the turbo used to start spooling at 1500 RPM would provide a kick until about 2100 RPM. All of that is gone. I wondering if they tool away my turbo and replaced it with a faulty/old one? Or could this be a ECU remap?

I know I sound paranoid. But my experience with VW service hasn't been good. See below -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-motors-2.html

Last edited by Ph03nix : 11th February 2013 at 13:38.
Old 11th February 2013, 19:09   #395

Hi Team-BHPians,

I have a very troubled experience with our VW Polo which started around 2 months back. The car is 1.8 years old and has had an approx run of about 10k kms till date. The car was in good condition till this problem emerged. We started experiencing the following issues and hence had to take the car to the service center despite being 6 months away from the next due routine check.

1) The car was vibrating considerably in neutral gear.
2) The car a/c cooling was setting in very late. It seems to be a problem with other VW models too as per my understanding from other threads in the forum. In our case the cooling kicks in post 10 mins of running and it runs like a fan till then.
3) The car MI indicator started glowing and manual mentioned that there can be a problem with the catalytic converter and hence one should not drive the car and take it to the nearest service station possible.

So we took our car to the service station in the western suburb and after around a week we were told that there was a problem in the engine head and hence spare parts need to be ordered from VW Germany as these are not easily available in India and that it will take some time. We were also updated that the logs indicated decreased efficiency in one of the cylinders (around 70% to 80% instead of 100%) and hence the part replacement is the only option. However it will take nearly 1-2 weeks for the spare part to arrive and hence we were told to take our car back due to minimal availability of parking space in the garage. However since the indicator was switched off/reset we could drive the car in the meantime.

However after driving the car for around 40kms the problem surfaced again and the MI indicator began blinking in the panel. We hence had to abandon driving and took the car to the garage after 2-3 weeks post arrival of the spare part from VW. Now it is nearly 2.5 weeks since we have deposited our car and there is no news on how the issue has been addressed and whether the problem wont surface again even if it has been fixed. The mechanic mentioned that he will give us a detailed invoice of the part replaced in the car and that we need not pay a penny (even though it costed around 1.2 lakhs to replace the expensive part). The dealer also happened to bang the car with the closely parked cars in the garage and on close examination, we refused taking delivery of the car till the entire body work is completed including fixes to the dents and scratches that arose while our car was parked in the garage. A similar bang had happned around 6 months back when we had deposited our car with the dealer for the routine check to be done post completion of 1 year.

While the dealer has mentioned that we need not bear any expenses since the warranty is still on, I have a few questions which I would like the fellow Team BHPians to answer.

a) What do we check when we are called to take the delivery of the car ?
b) Is there a need for taking extendy warranty since an issue like this if it happens during non warranty period can be very expensive to the owners.
c) How do we trust the dealer that he has done a very thorough job of fixing the issue and all associated problems ? We only have to drive and feel the difference in case there is any.
d) Do we demand logs and other detailed analysis which the dealer would have shared with the VW authorites for justification of the spare part replacement ?
e) Any other pointers in this regard which will help us deal with the problem smoothly. We had to live without a car for the last 2 months and is there any compensation that we should expect from VW/Dealer for such a delayed service ? We have had to call them numerous times and also the dents have further delayed the time for taking possession of the car.

Please advise so that this will be a easier experience for novice folks who have had little experience dealing with the mechanics and representatives of the VW dealer.

Regards
VW POLO Owner.
Old 12th February 2013, 13:30   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highersan View Post
b) Is there a need for taking extendy warranty since an issue like this if it happens during non warranty period can be very expensive to the owners.
It is highly recommended that you take an extended warranty on the car. This gives you additional 2 years without worry on the replaced part or any other defect that may have occured due to the existing fault. Remember that you can take an extended warranty only when you have a valid warranty which in your case expires in the next couple of months.
kutts is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2013, 00:20   #397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutts View Post

It is highly recommended that you take an extended warranty on the car. This gives you additional 2 years without worry on the replaced part or any other defect that may have occured due to the existing fault. Remember that you can take an extended warranty only when you have a valid warranty which in your case expires in the next couple of months.
Agree. I bought for my Polo and Vento first thing. The parts are super expensive and I will give a serious thought of retaining the cars after completing 4 years. No doubt I love them and may settle for a 3rd VW too.
Old 16th February 2013, 17:19   #398
BHPian

Guys. Some of the polo ventos have been reported to carry exposed iron seat frames. They are subject to rust and my SA on service advised me to get the same changed under warranty at Frontier Gurgaon. The same was done today conveniently and neatly. Do not foresee any issues so far. Suggest other users check on their vin numbers. Enclosing a picture of the replaced frame.

Name:  ForumRunner_20130216_171857.png
Views: 12721
Size:  380.9 KB
Alisiddiqui is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2013, 18:30   #399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph03nix View Post
Since the service I have been driving around over the weekend. Did a fair amount(~200km).

- The first thing I noticed was I was revving more than I usually do. I usually keep it under 2500 RPM. Now I was doing 3000 RPM without even noticing(Vibrations/Noise/Feel if you know what I mean). So either the engine has become incredibly smooth, or the second point below.

- Before the service the turbo used to start spooling at 1500 RPM would provide a kick until about 2100 RPM. All of that is gone. I wondering if they tool away my turbo and replaced it with a faulty/old one? Or could this be a ECU remap?

I know I sound paranoid. But my experience with VW service hasn't been good. See below -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-motors-2.html
Ph03nix, I own a vento tdi 1.6 and have felt a similar smoothness in engine and drop in power/muted turbo response after its recent first service.

The main reason for this, IMHO, is due to the update of the ECU software. VW is updating the software of all their diesel engined Polos and Ventos (dont know abt their other models and petrol engines) in response to reports of higher engine noise sometimes sluggish cold start performance. The ECUs' are re-flashed with a new set of parameters for fueling and timing, among others, resulting in smoother running but a very slight drop in performance which most people are not able to perceive. This is the reason why even I had landed up revving the engine beyond the normal 2000-2200 rpm without realizing as the engine was smoother/quieter and the usual turbo 'kick' beyond 1500 rpm was much milder.

Its un-likely that they would have swapped the turbo, though not entirely impossible, knowing the problems few VW owners have faced.

Why dont you take your car to another service center just to cross-check. As per the reports of fellow Vento owners in Pune, BU Bhandari seems to be a very good service center.

Regards
Old 28th February 2013, 16:31   #400
BHPian

Hey guys,

I had the ABS light flashing on the VW polo and experience pickup drops. hence left the car and they said the it could be a faulty sensor and changed the same. After they did an internal road test they claim the problem is not yet sorted and the issue could be something else.

They are still diagnosing the problem and yet to revert to me on the actual issue. IF the ABS unit has failed it would cost 30k !!!!! Car is 2.5 years old and done 38k. I dont think the ABS can afford to fail at this stage.

Has anyone else experienced this problems of ABS light burning before.

Kindly help
Old 5th March 2013, 15:22   #401
BHPian

I had a query regarding AMC contract of VW. Can it be purchased before completion of 1 year from the showroom/ service center?

My Polo is due for servicing later this month at VW Thane, the lady fixing the appointment mentioned a cost of approx Rs. 9500/- + taxes. When I exclaimed "9500??!!", she said this is approximate cost.

It is this cost*3/4 servicing which made me think if it would be cheaper to go for a AMC? Is that possible?

EDIT: Checked with KSM Motors, they said we cannot purchase AMC separately. However I doubt that. Checking with other dealers.

Last edited by vivekz : 5th March 2013 at 15:50. Reason: Update for the post
Old 5th March 2013, 18:51   #402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekz View Post
I had a query regarding AMC contract of VW. Can it be purchased before completion of 1 year from the showroom/ service center?

My Polo is due for servicing later this month at VW Thane, the lady fixing the appointment mentioned a cost of approx Rs. 9500/- + taxes. When I exclaimed "9500??!!", she said this is approximate cost.

It is this cost*3/4 servicing which made me think if it would be cheaper to go for a AMC? Is that possible?

EDIT: Checked with KSM Motors, they said we cannot purchase AMC separately. However I doubt that. Checking with other dealers.
If its a petrol I think you should be able to get an AMC, only the diesels don't get it.

The quote seems a little steep. My Polo diesel came upto 9970 for the first service without wheel alignment or balancing. Lot of unnecessary charges like mobility charges, software updation charges etc
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2013, 16:58   #403
BHPian

Quote:
They tend to exaggerate on the estimates, so that instead of getting shocked seeing the actual amount, you end up thinking that you got off relatively cheaper, expect the actual cost to be anywhere b/w 500/- to 1500/- less than the quote.

But just make sure you don't agree to unnecessary costs and services which they might tell you.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 30th March 2019 at 17:53. Reason: Spacing
envy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2013, 17:23   #404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
If its a petrol I think you should be able to get an AMC, only the diesels don't get it.

The quote seems a little steep. My Polo diesel came upto 9970 for the first service without wheel alignment or balancing. Lot of unnecessary charges like mobility charges, software updation charges etc
I have been trying for it, even VW Thane said that you cannot purchase the AMC separately. Tried reaching out to VW customer care. The person at the 1800.. call center number asked to contact the nearest dealer (surprising, at least VW should be aware of AMC policies and not ask me to contact dealer for the same).

I then tried shooting a mail to customer care email id. They called me back but again the lady had no idea on the policy She had forwarded it again to VW Thane, but then I know what reply they will give me. So it doesn't seem like I will be able to go for the AMC.

Btw, what is mobility charge? And software updates should be free AFAIK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by envy View Post
They tend to exaggerate on the estimates, so that instead of getting shocked seeing the actual amount, you end up thinking that you got off relatively cheaper, expect the actual cost to be anywhere b/w 500/- to 1500/- less than the quote.
But just make sure you don't agree to unnecessary costs and services which they might tell you.
Sure, the forum has enlightened me on the unnecessary costs which are pushed by VW.

What would be the approx cost of wheel rotation at a decent place? And what other "unnecessary" services should I be aware of?
Old 6th March 2013, 17:55   #405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I then tried shooting a mail to customer care email id. They called me back but again the lady had no idea on the policy She had forwarded it again to VW Thane, but then I know what reply they will give me. So it doesn't seem like I will be able to go for the AMC.

Btw, what is mobility charge? And software updates should be free AFAIK.
I've no idea about these, tried arguing with them but they kept insisting it is "normal" charge and showed me atleast 5 invoices where people had paid up. I was in a hurry so just decided to pay and leave. Will not pay the next time!

You can try posting on their fb page too

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks