Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2012, 19:25   #286
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Quote:
Erratic behavior of Windows.. sometimes fail to roll down single touch and sometimes when rolling up single touch they close and open again.
No single-touch control on mine :(

But, window-logic oddities: twice I have been unable to close the driver's door window. Some combination of starting/stopping/starting engine sets it right, but I don't know what.

(EDIT: Maybe they used Microsoft Windows )
Old 11th July 2012, 20:12   #287
BHPian

Folks - My Vento got vandalized last night. The front grill emblem was stolen. Ascrewdriver was used to try and remove the rear one as well. The rear emblem stayed on but the crevice that it sits in is damaged in one place due to the sharp edge of the scre driver. This car is 2 weeks old and I am really sad to see this. Its been bugging my mind all day. Any suggestions on what I should do and how much a new one costs? Thanks
Old 11th July 2012, 22:33   #288
Distinguished - BHPian

Very sorry to hear that. I still feel bad about my Polo rear window, even though that was relatively easy to replace and there was no body damage.
Old 19th July 2012, 18:18   #289
BHPian

Continuation of my post #285

Got the car back today. Actually, it was ready on Tuesday but I was out of station.

They have changed AC coil that was leaking along with Air/ AC/ Fuel filter. Oil changed. AC is now silent without any hiss at start as well as running. AC job was done under warranty hence free of cost.

Hopefully windows problem is also fixed. Can't tell as it was erratic. Not happening at every operation.

In general car is more smooth now. Steering has become very light. (Tyres not topped up as I have nitrogen in them and I had instructed not to top up with air)

Total cost 6287. Will post details soon.
Old 19th July 2012, 18:24   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
Folks - My Vento got vandalized last night. The front grill emblem was stolen. Ascrewdriver was used to try and remove the rear one as well. The rear emblem stayed on but the crevice that it sits in is damaged in one place due to the sharp edge of the scre driver. This car is 2 weeks old and I am really sad to see this. Its been bugging my mind all day. Any suggestions on what I should do and how much a new one costs? Thanks
I think Skoda had started replacing stolen emblems FREE of cost. Maybe VW has followed the pattern. Although, it should cost you approx 800-900rs.
Earlier each emblem cost approx 2k-3k, Skoda reduced the prices as a good will gesture since loads of them were been stolen.

Last edited by mb_jg : 19th July 2012 at 18:25.
Old 20th July 2012, 16:58   #291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg View Post
I think Skoda had started replacing stolen emblems FREE of cost. Maybe VW has followed the pattern. Although, it should cost you approx 800-900rs.
Earlier each emblem cost approx 2k-3k, Skoda reduced the prices as a good will gesture since loads of them were been stolen.
This is the best way to reduce robbery. Thieves will stop stealing logos if they are readily available at a descent price.
Old 20th July 2012, 17:16   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
This is the best way to reduce robbery. Thieves will stop stealing logos if they are readily available at a descent price.
True, once people are completely aware that the logo's are either provided free or at a really discounted price they wouldn't bother buying from the grey market. This would definitely deter the logo thieves.
Old 20th July 2012, 17:34   #293
Distinguished - BHPian

Probably a stupid question, but what's the attraction anyway? Why do people want these logos?

A Mercedes star, I could sort of understand. There was a time when VW logos got ripped off because they were very like that of a rock band of the day --- but (and with all due respect to Skoda owners) Skoda?
Old 20th July 2012, 18:18   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
A Mercedes star, I could sort of understand. There was a time when VW logos got ripped off because they were very like that of a rock band of the day --- but (and with all due respect to Skoda owners) Skoda?
I doubt there's actually a 'reason' behind such vandalism. I've had the Bajaj sticker on the front fairing pulled off my Pulsar150 when parked along Indiranagar 100ft road, and the dealer sells it for just 15rs/.

Often times, the *vicks* engaged in the activity are attracted to anything that doesn't look like a Maruti.

Your question at the end? --Let's just leave it at that to stop any possible brand wars within the same family.
Old 22nd July 2012, 16:08   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Probably a stupid question, but what's the attraction anyway? Why do people want these logos?

2 reasons:
  1. Logos that are very rarely seen can be sold in the gray market. But I do not know who the buyers are - Really sickening!!
  2. Heavier logos are stolen for the metal. Brass is usually sold by weight. These guys steal any thing made out of metal and sell it at metal market...
VW logos are a lot heavier that Skoda..

Last edited by Chethan B G : 22nd July 2012 at 16:10.
Old 22nd July 2012, 19:50   #296
BHPian

Quote:

Hi,
person who damage, steal property, do it for kicks.
Its a mind game where the cars attraction is a show off, and damaging it is victory.

To another person the same car may signify happiness, prosperity, achievement.

Some in the community avoid show off, for the very same reason.
Old 23rd July 2012, 01:00   #297
Distinguished - BHPian

Hmmm, sad. I had thought that such sickness was not yet so common in India, but I learnt the lesson at the cost of a new rear windscreen*. I heard that a new Swift in this street also had its glass smashed recently.

Does anyone have any problems with electric windows?

On a couple of occasions, when bringing the car home, I find the driver window will not close. 'rebooting' the car once or twice makes the problem go away, but I hate this kind of thing, confidently expecting that if I tell the dealer they will operate the switch, say, "look, it works: there is no problem," and shrug.

*plus the rather larger cost of a semi-solid car shed with bamboo blinds all round. Stone proof. Added advantage: the car will stay dry in the rains and we can keep it covered, but still, we didn't need the expense.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 23rd July 2012 at 01:03.
Old 26th July 2012, 18:36   #298
Senior - BHPian

I went for monsoon check-up today. Also there was a very very minor noise (bearable) coming from rear left.

They diagnosed the problem that shock absorber is defective. They refused to replace it under warranty. The car is 14 months old and 25.5k kms driven.

The S.A. said they replace the shock absorber under warranty upto 10k kms only.

When I asked, he gave me the same in writing also.

I am really surprised to know this. I read that shock absorber is not covered in extended warranty but how can they refuse to replace it well within basic warranty.

How should I take it up now?

The relief is, the sound was very very less and it did not re-appear on the short distance from VW workshop to home. I will check it out tomorrow.
Old 26th July 2012, 18:51   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
They diagnosed the problem that shock absorber is defective. They refused to replace it under warranty. The car is 14 months old and 25.5k kms driven.
Welcome to the world of German Engineering topped by Indian el-cheapo-service-centers.

If there's a competing VW dealer/service center in your city or somewhere within 3hours from there, I suggest you make a trip there and do another diagnosis without giving them the background of what you've been told already. See if diagnosis matches.
Old 26th July 2012, 18:59   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
Welcome to the world of German Engineering topped by Indian el-cheapo-service-centers.

If there's a competing VW dealer/service center in your city or somewhere within 3hours from there, I suggest you make a trip there and do another diagnosis without giving them the background of what you've been told already. See if diagnosis matches.
My question is not if they diagnised the problem correctly or not. What they say that they interchanged rear shock absorbers and the noise that was coming from left shifted to right after they interchanged them.

My question is how can they say that a part like shock absorber (or any other part of their choice) can only be replaced under warranty upto 10000 kms. They don't have a printed record to confirm their denial.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks