Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2022, 13:45   #1861
BHPian

Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Hello All,

I have visited PPS motors, Hitech city workshop in Hyderabad for fixing the engine coolant leakage issue with my polo GT TSI. There is coolant leakage, I can see coolant on the floor as soon I start the car and a lot of noise coming from the engine bay, the service advisor mentioned it could be the water pump issue, and they would investigate and fix it. Since 75k service is due, I have asked to do the regular 75k service also. The same day he called me and mentioned that the water pump failed, it has to be replaced and also there is a lot of wear and tear on the brake discs and they have to be replaced, I said ok.

When delivering the vehicle, I was surprised to see items below in the invoice which I felt are not right for the work done.
1. Special A/C cleaning package
2. AC evaporator cleaning
3. GFF and consumables

The SA was trying to justify that the A/C cleaning package is standard for the service. I asked to call his manager, and then he consulted his manager and removed that one from the bill saying they made it complimentary now (seems they have a tie-up with 3M). But still, I'm sceptical about "AC evaporator cleaning" and "GFF and consumables" items in the bill. When asked why they are needed, he mentioned that when we replace the water pump they have to perform "AC evaporator cleaning" and it is mandatory. I don't understand why it is needed. Can you please help me clarify? Also when I asked about "GFF and consumables" he fumbled and said that it is for resetting the service, removing error codes if any and something related to the camshaft, I asked what did they do for the camshaft? He said it is related to GFF and I don't how camshaft is related to "GFF and consumables", it was very late almost 9 PM. I don't want to argue further. I paid the bill and left the workshop.

Can you please let me know what "GFF and consumables" mean, I thought the work is related to ECU upgrades and modifying existing settings. I don't know the purpose here. The SA mentioned that they did not perform any firmware upgrades. But why would they charge to reset the service?

What is "AC evaporator cleaning"? The SA mentioned that it is required since we replaced your water pump. I'm not convinced why it is needed for the water pump replacement. Can you please share your inputs here?

VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-page1.jpg

VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-page2.jpg

VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-page3.jpg
Old 22nd June 2022, 14:01   #1862
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabhu View Post
Can you please let me know what "GFF and consumables" mean
Guided Fault Finding.

They plug in the laptop and check for faults stored.

Quote:
there is a lot of wear and tear on the brake discs and they have to be replaced, I said ok.
Did you feel anything amiss with the brakes? If not, the service advisor has successfully taken yet another customer for a ride, inching closer to his monthly target.

Quote:
What is "AC evaporator cleaning"?
Your car's AC throws in chilled air through the AC vents when the blower blows air through the evaporator coil located inside the cabin, behind the dashboard. The evaporator coil can get clogged over time leading to various issues but if your AC was working fine, this was yet another unwanted job. Something you could have done yourself for < Rs. 900. And they have charged Rs 3k for this!

Quote:
The SA mentioned that it is required since we replaced your water pump.
That's rubbish! The AV evaporator has R134a gas going through it not the coolant.

Please do not fall for all this. And if your car is out of its warranty period, please take it to a competent aftermarket garage that deals with German cars. You get better turnaround time, they don't add unwanted jobs and the cost of servicing is better (parts are nearly the same price).

Before dropping the car for every service, tell them the list of jobs that has to be attended to. Car sanitising (a new entrant after covid struck), brake jobs, evaporator cleaning, radiator cleaning, wiper changing, germicide treatment, anti-rodent treatment etc - please do not fall for all this. Your car's service manual states what job has to be done when. Just stick to it.
Gannu_1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 14:16   #1863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post

Did you feel anything amiss with the brakes? If not, the service advisor has successfully taken yet another customer for a ride, inching closer to his monthly target.

Your car's AC throws in chilled air through the AC vents when the blower blows air through the evaporator coil located inside the cabin, behind the dashboard. The evaporator coil can get clogged over time leading to various issues but if your AC was working fine, this was yet another unwanted job. Something you could have done yourself for < Rs. 900. And they have charged Rs 3k for this!

That's rubbish! The AV evaporator has R134a gas going through it not the coolant.

Please do not fall for all this. And if your car is out of its warranty period, please take it to a competent aftermarket garage that deals with German cars. You get better turnaround time, they don't add unwanted jobs and the cost of servicing is better (parts are nearly the same price).

Before dropping the car for every service, tell them the list of jobs that has to be attended to. Car sanitising (a new entrant after covid struck), brake jobs, evaporator cleaning, radiator cleaning, wiper changing, germicide treatment, anti-rodent treatment etc - please do not fall for all this. Your car's service manual states what job has to be done when. Just stick to it.
Thank you Gannu for your suggestions. The braking was ok but not like earlier, so I said ok for changing the discs.

I should have asked him for the list of jobs beforehand that's my mistake. I will try to raise the "The AC evaporator cleaning" item in the list with VW support.
Old 22nd June 2022, 15:11   #1864
Distinguished - BHPian

I do think that brake parts should be replaced before any fault is felt while driving. There should be, for instance, a stipulated brake-pad minimum thickness.

I don't think that the items for each service are included in the manual any longer. This is a shame, as it enforces transparency. Stuff like AC vent disinfectant (which many of us consider useless anyway) has been adopted as "standard" by dealers.

My dealers were never too bad. They would not, for instance, replace wipers without my consent or request. I used to make that an annual event anyway, but now do it every two years.

The thing is to remember these "standard" items for next time(s) and specifically instruct not to do them. It gets written on the job sheet, so arguments, and if it does get done and charged it will be removed from the bill pronto because your instructions are clear.

I have gone independent now, because my recent service was an expensive one (timing belt, water pump, plus some other components). Next year I will probably need suspension overhaul and brake parts, so will stay independent.

It is part of the service agents job to advise of other work needed, but none of it should be done without confirmation.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 08:55   #1865
BHPian

What are the preferred service centres in Delhi? I moved recently and have no idea. Thanks in advance.
Old 27th July 2022, 21:27   #1866
Senior - BHPian

My Polo 1.2 MPI shows the INSP sign with a spanner when I start it. It's been less than a year and 10k km run since the last service.

Is this an overzealous reminder or could it be a sign of something else that I need to get checked? If not, I assume I can just do this:

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 27th July 2022 at 21:30.
Old 29th July 2022, 15:46   #1867
Senior - BHPian

Previous post issue was settled by just resetting the service interval which was 10k for some reason instead of 15k.

Another issue now: The rubber beading along the engine bay leaf catcher (not sure what the name is) has fallen off at some point. VW service is quoting Rs. 2800 for this part.

VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-img20220729153429.jpg
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-img20220729153436.jpg

Does anyone have the part number for the missing rubber beading or know where I could find it in Mysore/Bangalore/Chennai?
Old 25th August 2022, 12:44   #1868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGearBox View Post
This fix worked for some time, but the petrol smell returned after a few days, although it is fainter this time.
Hi,
Did you manage to get this fixed?

Facing the same issue since 1 week, took the car to ASS and they quoted 13k for replacing the fuel line. Since the part is not in stock will take a week or more to get it done.

For now I have taken the car back and looking for aftermarket / cheaper options.
Old 1st September 2022, 13:06   #1869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop.u View Post
Hi,
Did you manage to get this fixed?

Facing the same issue since 1 week, took the car to ASS and they quoted 13k for replacing the fuel line..
Yes, got the fuel line replaced at a FNG. I don't remember the exact cost but it was definitely nowhere close to 13k.
Old 1st September 2022, 19:23   #1870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Does anyone have the part number for the missing rubber beading or know where I could find it in Mysore/Bangalore/Chennai?
The part number is 6R0823723C, you can try on boodmo, gomechanic.
The link to the part, Figure. no 38.
https://oriparts.com/39/721/72698/3630729#item_75524767
adityarobb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 21:13   #1871
BHPian

Hi All,

Need a bit of advise regarding my 2011 Polo 1.6 petrol car. Was planning to get the coolant flushed and replaced as the car is now over 10 years old and its never been done before.

The existing coolant is hazy pink in color and the reservoir mentions G12 on it.

I checked with the SVC regarding a coolant flush and replacement. The quote i got was around 15000/- SMH!! for a flush and coolant refill.

I found this way overpriced as a 1 litre bottle of G12 Evo sells for about 400/- on Boodmo and FNGs charge about 600/- or so to complete the same activity. Assuming even 5 Litres of G12 evo coolant is required, the whole thing would cost less than 3.5k inclusive of Distilled water and a Liqui Moly coolant flush bottle at the FNG.

The queries I have are

1. What is the exact amount of Coolant needed for the Polo/Vento 1.6 petrol engine
2. What is the average life of the VW G12 coolant. I was unable to find clear information anywhere. Some places indicate 5-6 years other Use for lifetime and Keep topping up. Confused.

Thanks in advance for any inputs that can be provided.
Old 19th September 2022, 16:43   #1872
BHPian

In my Ameo 1.5 TDI DSG, on starting the car and engaging gears, there is a lag of 2 to 3 seconds from engagement to power delivery. I have brought this up to VW SA and he says all the parameters are within tolerance and only clutch setting is required. He says there is only 1mm difference and it is within tolerance.

However, I still ask, is the lag between engagement and power delivery normal? It was not the case when the car was new.

And if it is not normal, what to do? As SA says it is not an issue and unless it shows in VCDS, they cannot offer a warranty replacement.

Note: I've already had one flywheel replacement under warranty (around 60K) and another one scheduled again under extended warranty (around 105K).
Old 21st October 2022, 18:15   #1873
BHPian

Gents - Any recommendations for a good VW ASS in Bangalore for me Polo GT 1.2 TSi in and around Vasanthnagar, 560001?

Many Thanks!

Last edited by Quarter Mile : 21st October 2022 at 18:18.
Old 27th October 2022, 10:20   #1874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarter Mile View Post
Gents - Any recommendations for a good VW ASS in Bangalore for me Polo GT 1.2 TSi in and around Vasanthnagar, 560001?

Many Thanks!
Which VW will be recommended around bellandur/sarjapur area for regular service of Polo GT TSI?
Old 1st November 2022, 10:12   #1875
BHPian

Hello folks!

I have encountered a weird but very annoying and possibly expensive issue with my Polo. Few months back, I changed my car perfume and went for the diffusion type perfume which has to be hund on rear view mirror. For few weeks, everything was fine but one fine day, as I was navigating few dreaded potholes near my home, I noticed couple of droplets fell from the perfume. I cleaned up most but of them dropped on the audio system button near aux cable port. It went out of my notice and I didn't use car for next 2 days. On third day, when I went in the car, I noticed something. It appeared as oil or grease spot on the audio system and when I tried cleaning it, the black color peeled off from the button.

I am not sure how to fix this, but this has left me kind of heart broken. Kindly guide. I will post a picture once I take it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks