Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2022, 16:03   #1846
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodspirit View Post
Vw polo 1.5 tdi 2016 October model.

The car has clocked around 80100kms, I couldn't find guidance on when the polo diesel needs timing belt and injector change.

I'm looking to get a stage 1 ecu remap for my. Polo and the guys from code6 said to get a diagnostic report. He mentioned polo needs clutch plate change and timing belt change by 80k kms. While I've heard its over 100k kms. The service is due in upcoming days. Kindly guide me on this.
Thanks in advance.
The timing belt change is due at 90k kms/6 years, which is about now for 2016 car. Please get it changed along with the water pump because water pump tends to fail post 90k kms and will need the timing belt to be removed again.

Clutch plates may face more load with the re-map and will depend on your how hard your driving style is. If it's slipping, get it changed. Please get a second opinion if you're not sure.
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 19:11   #1847
Distinguished - BHPian

My TDI was born in 2014. I was advised, last year, by dealer service that timing belt should be replaced at next service, ie this year.

I do miss the days when service schedules were clearly laid out in the user manual! I think they still were even two years previously, for my 2012 Polo.

i think that the cost of the belt replacement was mentioned as 25k. But I can't remember now if that was inclusive.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 29th April 2022 at 19:12.
Old 29th April 2022, 19:46   #1848

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
The timing belt change is due at 90k kms/6 years, which is about now for 2016 car. Please get it changed along with the water pump because water pump tends to fail post 90k kms and will need the timing belt to be removed again.

Clutch plates may face more load with the re-map and will depend on your how hard your driving style is. If it's slipping, get it changed. Please get a second opinion if you're not sure.
I called the ASS and he said it’s 120k km. He quot3d about 12k just for the belt and 16k for the entire kit which includes the water pump I guess. I’m not sure if these figures are including the labour cost or not.
Woodspirit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 21:21   #1849
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
He quot3d about 12k just for the belt and 16k for the entire kit which includes the water pump I guess.
It sounds like my number might include the labour, then. But maybe not the taxes. There's always something excluded until bill time!
Old 30th April 2022, 14:37   #1850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I called the ASS and he said it’s 120k km. He quot3d about 12k just for the belt and 16k for the entire kit which includes the water pump I guess. I’m not sure if these figures are including the labour cost or not.
I'm speaking from experience though. Earlier it was 8 years or 120k kms if I'm not wrong. But when I went in for my 7th year service at 1 lakh kms, the coolant started leaking as soon as I drove into the garage. Needles to say, the water pump failed. If I'm not wrong, they have rescheduled the timing belt change to 90k / 6 years because it turned out to be more frequent than expected.

You may want to call up the VW helpline to get more details or walk into the VW SC and check out the part replacement chart to take the final call. Maybe it would have been improved for the 1.5 TDI since mine is a 1.6 TDI but that's unlikely.

Last edited by Turbohead : 30th April 2022 at 14:38.
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 18:33   #1851
BHPian

Dear All

I got a pre-owned Polo Comfortline MPI 1.2 2012, done 51000kms some weeks ago. Basically it is for my 19 year old daughter who is to learn driving.
The car runs fine apart from one incident on the day I got the car. Once after starting the car, pressing the Accelerator did not rev up the engine. I opened the Air filter and the hose over the Throttle Body and tapped it, cleaned it a little and it became normal. After that the engine is revving up fine.

After owning big cars like the Scorpio 2.6L Toyota Camry2.5L and Grand Vitara 2.4L I was expecting this small 1.2L NA 3 pot engine to be under powered. I drove it for a few days and was I wrong, what a hoot to drive. This tiny car easily touches 100 in 3rd. I'm so impressed.

I can't figure out this one issue :
After a about 10 seconds of starting the Car I get 3 long beeps.
There are no Engine Check lights or any other warning lights in the Instrument Cluster.Any idea about what this is, and how to fix it ?

I will be getting the Car Serviced for the 50K Kms service once it comes back from a Dent Paint Job.
It will be nice if I could know the reason of the three long beeps before I give it to service, I want to avoid getting scammed by Service Centers.

I tried my OBD2 to check. I'm happy that the OBD2 got connected and I could clear all previous errors and check for fresh recurring errors.
I saw two errors connected to the Throttle. Perhaps these were from the day I disconnected the Throttle connector and cleaned it.
1. P0638-Throttle Actuator Control Range/ Performance Blank 1
2. P0221-Throttle / Pedal Position Sensor / Switch B Circuit Range / Performance.
I cleared the errors and they are gone now.

I posted some pictures of the car here:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5304162 (Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review)

I will post some more pictures once it comes back from a Dent-Paint job in a few days.

Styler

Last edited by Styler : 10th May 2022 at 18:38.
Styler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 19:13   #1852
Distinguished - BHPian

Dashboard lights tell me that I'm going to be adding another (my third) ABS sensor to my next service bill.

Old 20th May 2022, 10:24   #1853
BHPian

Hello all,

Update on my Polo Comfortline 2012.

A lot of people told me that VolksWagen Service is Pathetic and they will take you for a royal ride. I still wanted to give the VW Service a chance. I must say the experience has been really bad and what people told me has been confirmed..

I just needed basic service and a few small things like AC Vent Replacement, Windshield washer not working etc. The invoice for basic service and a few extra things came to Rs 14,290. and the car came back yesterday. There were 3-4 other minor niggles when the car came back from the Service Center. I could fix those myself so I will not mention these here.

The sad part is the Service personnel have no way to diagnose the reason for the three beeps which come 10 seconds after starting the car. They are just eager to sell things like dry cleaning of the car etc, and are incompetent to even diagnose simple but important error beeps. They just do hit and trial and I don't think they have access to any Service Manuals to refer to why a particular alert beep sound is coming. They finally told me it could be because of a faulty Instrument Cluster but cannot confirm it.

I gave this feedback to VW Customer Support and I have started getting calls. This Polo will not go to the VW Service Center again, My local mechanics will handle it much better and will be checking the suspension etc.

In the meantime if anybody has any ideas what could be causing the three beeps 10-15 secs after turning on the ignition ?

Some information about this error :

1. It is not due to Seat Belts - It happens even when seat belts are fastened and I do not see any seat belt warning light in the Polo Comfortline MPI 2012
2. It is not due to low coolant - The Car just came back from service.
3. It is not due to Windshield Washer Fluid Level low - The Windshield Washer fluid bottle was replaced during service and it has no sensors.
4. The beeps happen 10-15 seconds after the ignition is turned on, even when the engine is not started.
5. There are no error lights on the Instrument Panel and during service at the VW service center the diagnosis on the laptop did not show any errors or warnings.

Styler

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 20th May 2022 at 15:08. Reason: Typo.
Old 20th May 2022, 11:10   #1854
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
In the meantime it anybody has any ideas what could be causing the three beeps 10-15 secs after turning on the ignition ?
Was this a scheduled service done after 1 year/15k km from the last service? Have you reset the service reminder through the instrument cluster?
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 11:21   #1855
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Was this a scheduled service done after 1 year/15k km from the last service? Have you reset the service reminder through the instrument cluster?
This was a Paid Service at the Service Center. The last service was in 2019 but the car was not driven much after that.
The Service reminder has been reset. I think the reminder will come again in 7500 kms or 1 year for this car. Can anybody owning around 2012 model Comfortline MPI 1.2L confirm what the Service Reminder resets to - 7500kms or 15000kms.
The service advisor told me that the Instrument Cluster (Meter) could have been tampered as some screws were missing. It is quite possible the previous owner got it repaired, tampered the meter or even replaced it. I'm not sure.

Last edited by Styler : 20th May 2022 at 11:28.
Old 20th May 2022, 11:34   #1856
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This was a Paid Service at the Service Center. The last service was in 2019 but the car was not driven much after that.
The Service reminder has been reset. I think the reminder will come again in 7500 kms or 1 year for this car. Can anybody owning around 2012 model Comfortline MPI 1.2L confirm what the Service Reminder resets to - 7500kms or 15000kms.
The service advisor told me that the Instrument Cluster (Meter) could have been tampered as some screws were missing. It is quite possible the previous owner got it repaired, tampered the meter or even replaced it. I'm not sure.
For a 2012 Polo, this is not the original cluster. The clusters from the pre-2014 Polo came with the red backlit MFD. You have one from the facelifted variants.

Try resetting the interval once again. There’s no harm since the service has been done just now/recently.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 12:11   #1857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
For a 2012 Polo, this is not the original cluster. The clusters from the pre-2014 Polo came with the red backlit MFD. You have one from the facelifted variants.

Try resetting the interval once again. There’s no harm since the service has been done just now/recently.
Thanks for the tip - For telling me that the instrument cluster is not original. Then it is possible that since this is not an instrument cluster for this model, it could be causing the error beeps.

I tried 2 more things
Disconnected the battery for 15 minutes to reset things.
Reset the Service Interval once again - It resets to 7500kms, 190 days.

Beep still remains.
If nothing else resolves this I will try to source a used Instrument cluster and swap and see. That is what the Service Center would like to do.
All issues do eventually get resolved. Let's see how much time this one takes.

Styler

Last edited by Styler : 20th May 2022 at 12:13.
Old 20th May 2022, 18:54   #1858
Distinguished - BHPian

2014 GT tdi 1.5

Last year, after dealer service, I was given a list of items that I was advised to do, but optionally, as they could wait for this year. This was suspension components, engine and transmission mounts, and even clutch plus one or two other things. I was also told that timing belt would come due this year (8) at 25K

This year I went independent, and was advised that all the mentioned components had at least one more year of life, except for rear-wheel bearings (which means entire hub in VW land, it seems).

Timing belt kit and coolant pump supplied and fitted, as per major-major service.

Throw in my third ABS sensor replacement (4800 now!) and some odds and ends.

My independent is not cheap, and doesn't claim to be. However they are honest, realistic and dependable when advising what is, and isn't necessary.

The bill: 62k before tax!

Frankly, I feel that this is more under the heading of rejuvenating one's middle-aged car* rather than buying a new one (there is a thread) which I am, within reason, very willing to do. But it is absolutely not over in one year. There is definitely going to be another instalment (other components mentioned next year.

Looking on the bright side, from the garage, the car drove like a dream! And I am even more willing to keep it for as long as possible. I can't buy new new, and buying a few years old used is just postponing the inevitable. My car has still only got 51k on the clock, the bodywork is still all good, and it has never actually let me down on the road or in the drive.

*thread (Your car's midlife crisis - How to rejuvenate your existing car and save a lot of money). although, today it doesn't feel like saving a lot of money

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 20th May 2022 at 18:58.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 22:20   #1859
BHPian

Quote:

In the meantime if anybody has any ideas what could be causing the three beeps 10-15 secs after turning on the ignition ?
https://Youtu.be/029EIexE8Wo

Some information about this error :

1. It is not due to Seat Belts - It happens even when seat belts are fastened and I do not see any seat belt warning light in the Polo Comfortline MPI 2012
2. It is not due to low coolant - The Car just came back from service.
3. It is not due to Windshield Washer Fluid Level low - The Windshield Washer fluid bottle was replaced during service and it has no sensors.
4. The beeps happen 10-15 seconds after the ignition is turned on, even when the engine is not started.
5. There are no error lights on the Instrument Panel and during service at the VW service center the diagnosis on the laptop did not show any errors or warnings.

Styler
Did you get the battery checked btw ? This beep comes in few Passat variants due to battery replacement.
ankitsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 16:21   #1860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitsharma View Post
Did you get the battery checked btw ? This beep comes in few Passat variants due to battery replacement.
Thanks for the new idea @ankitsharma. No I haven't got the battery checked. Since it was cranking fine, and the battery is just supposed to give a proper 12.5V Current, it never crossed my mind that this can cause the 3 beep problem. Will try a different battery soon. I have just been ignoring the 3 beeps as it is not causing any problem and got used to it.

Update on my Polo is that it's almost done. The final repair thing left was to replace the Right Axel, and an Engine Mounting.

Since the experience with the VW Authorized workshop was not too good, I decided to get the rest of the work done with my trusted local mechanics Harvinder and Kumar, listed in the Team-bhp NCR Directory.

They had already done the entire suspension work, replacing all four Shocks, link rods, Lower Arm bushes etc for the Polo.

Since they could not source the Right Axel and Engine mounting we decided to order these OEM parts from Boodmo. I have my Polo added to my Garage on Boodmo with VIN.

I ordered the parts shown compatible for my 1st Gen Polo 1.2L Comfortline Petrol. Both the Part numbers received are correct as shown but both these parts are slightly different and will not fit. Unfortunately the parts were delivered 12 days ago (Outside the 10 day return Windows of Boodmo), my mechanics were free only today to install these, and that is when it was discovered the parts will not fit.

I have regularly been ordering parts for my Grand Vitara, and Camry from Boodmo, and if the Part no is shown as compatible with my car it has never been a problem. Is it any different for VW Parts, can it not be trusted that the Part numbers shown for a model will surely fit ?

Two parts ordered that will not fit are :

1. DRIVE SHAFT WITH CONSTANTVELOCITY JOINTS (Front Right Axel) Part No: 6RF407762L
The Length is the same, but the grooves for fitting is different.

2. ENGINE MOUNTING Part No: 6RF199262M
Only two screws align and the third screw is out for Alignment.

Attaching pictures here for reference.

Any idea what I could be missing ?

Styler

Update :
I just had a word with Volkswagen.
They have told me that these parts that I ordered are for the Polo Diesel. These are wrongly shown as compatible for 1st Gen Polo 1.2L Petrol on Boodmo.
The correct part numbers for the Petrol Car are the following:
Drive Shaft - 6RF407764H (https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-6rf407764h-28499508/)
Engine Mounting - 6RF199262P - (https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-6rf199262p-32231485/)
I am taking this up with Boodmo now to get the parts replaced.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-polodriveshaft1.jpg  

VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-polodriveshaft2.jpg  

VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-polodriveshaft3.jpg  

VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-polodriveshaft4.jpg  

VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-polodriveshaft5.jpg  

VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-polodriveshaft6.jpg  

Last edited by Styler : 21st June 2022 at 16:47.
Styler is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks