Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2021, 13:15   #1831
BHPian

Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by msksalman View Post
Hey Guys,

I am looking for Help regarding the Service of my GT Tsi (2018 June). It has run around 43k kms, and recently I have started feeling that the suspensions have become Hard. I can literally feel even small potholes or bad roads inside the car.
Well, people are ready to pay lakhs of rupees to make their Polo suspension much more stiffer and lower, its strange that you are complaining about this free gift!

Well jokes aside, when suspension degrades then it tends to get softer instead of getting stiffer. I would rather first check the condition of tyres is the road imperfection starts filtering out inside the cabin. If tyres are fine then some rubber parts in the suspension may need to be replaced.

Anyways how old are your current tyres? If your car is still running on the first set of tyres then its high time to replace them since most tyre start nearing to end of their life after 40K kms, especially if they are factory fitted stock tyres with average quality.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 26th October 2021 at 13:21.
tbppjpr is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 10:59   #1832
BHPian

Hi,

Which service centre would you guys recommend for Mumbai western suburbs for my VW polo?

Tia
Old 10th January 2022, 04:09   #1833
BHPian

Hi!

I'm from Shimla, a place which has never seen the comfort of having a Volkswagen Service Centre within its bounds and I have to travel down to Chandigarh for every small part.
Mine is a 2011 Polo 1.2 TDi Highline and I was quoted 20k for my 1.30 lakh service in Nov 2021. So, I ended up sourcing the following products:

VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-img_0626.jpg
  • Liquimoly TopTec 5W40 VW 505.01 complaint (4950/-) and Ceratec (3050/-) from Amazon
  • LiquiMoly Engine Oil Flush (400/-) and Diesel additive (300/-) from a LiquiMoly dealer (Purchased 10 cans of Diesel Additive altogether)
    VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-e0fa3fc2738f4750af5991adca00e75a.jpg
  • VW Lumax make air filter (300/-) and VW Mahle Austria engine oil filter (250/-) from a local shop

Labour: Rs. 100/- as I just wanted the guy to get under the car and drain the old engine oil.

Total Damage to the pocket: Rs. 9350/-

The brakes were serviced 4 months before (NO REPLACEMENT OF THE FACTORY BRAKEPADS or rotors), had changed the diesel filter just 6 months before and dusted the cabin filter as it was in a pretty decent condition (Bought a carbon activated VW one from boodmo in November 2020)
It was a precautionary yearly service as the vehicle was driven not more than 3000 kilometres from the previous service.
In my Nov 2020 service, I had tried Meguin's Low Emission 5W40 (VW 505.01 complaint) with Ceratec which delivered decent results with improved acceleration but decided to try LiquiMoly this time.
Anyway, can't say if that Engine oil filter was actually original seeing it's price, it was simply an experiment.

I could have done a normal service with Castrol, Mobil or Shell without any Ceratec stuff seeing the age and mileage of my car and wrapped up the whole service under 5k but 'Dil hai ki maanta nahi!'.

Once the car is out of the warranty period, I don't find a good reason to get it serviced at the Volkswagen Service Centre. It's better to procure the spares Yourself and learn stuff about the car. Air filter, cabin filter change etc. can be easily done by any common person as it doesn't involve any rocket science.

Thanks to TeamBHPian @gannu_1 for putting up all the steps involved on TeamBHP as well as YouTube to help the world!
vgaquarius is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th January 2022, 10:47   #1834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgaquarius View Post
Mine is a 2011 Polo 1.2 TDi Highline and I was quoted 20k for my 1.30 lakh service in Nov 2021.
  • Liquimoly TopTec 5W40 VW 505.01 complaint (4950/-) and Ceratec (3050/-) from Amazon
  • LiquiMoly Engine Oil Flush (400/-) and Diesel additive (300/-) from a LiquiMoly dealer
Thanks for sharing.

Quick question, is this the first time you're doing the engine flush or was it done earlier too? I have the same 2011 Polo 1.2 TDI clocked 1.15 lakh kms and never done an engine flush before. Been thinking of doing the same since the performance has reduced noticeably over the years, but at the same time I'm a bit hesitant as I've heard engine flush is not recommended for old engines/high odometer cars since it can result in leaks from seals or cracks of the engine (if any) as the sludges in the nook and corner is what prevents leaks in old engines. Not sure if it is really worth the risk to have the engine flushed.

Also, how is the performance with LiquiMoly? I'm planning to shift to this one during the next service. This does seem to be bit costlier than the other VW spec engine oils in the market. Is it worth it? Would probably buy it from Amazon only. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by logicalidiot : 10th January 2022 at 10:50.
Old 10th January 2022, 10:58   #1835
Team-BHP Support

Guys, the engine flush additive is as good as snake oil - there are no tangible benefits of using it. I've used one on an occasion or two and honestly, it was a waste of money. The internet is divided between the opinions and you'll find many manufacturers warning users against using one. Unless the carbonised sludges have become like gunk like chyawanprash, you do not need oil flushes. If your oil changes have been done on schedule, you do not have to use oil flushes.
Gannu_1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th January 2022, 13:58   #1836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgaquarius View Post
Hi!
In my Nov 2020 service, I had tried Meguin's Low Emission 5W40 (VW 505.01 complaint) with Ceratec which delivered decent results with improved acceleration but decided to try LiquiMoly this time.
I am doubting that changing an Engine oil brand/Grade will improve acceleration! More of a Placebo effect
Old 10th January 2022, 16:44   #1837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalidiot View Post
Thanks for sharing.

Quick question, is this the first time you're doing the engine flush or was it done earlier too? I have the same 2011 Polo 1.2 TDI clocked 1.15 lakh kms and never done an engine flush before. Been thinking of doing the same since the performance has reduced noticeably over the years, but at the same time I'm a bit hesitant as I've heard engine flush is not recommended for old engines/high odometer cars since it can result in leaks from seals or cracks of the engine (if any) as the sludges in the nook and corner is what prevents leaks in old engines. Not sure if it is really worth the risk to have the engine flushed.
Hi!
I flushed the engine for the first time at 1.17 lakhs kilometres in 2019 with LiquiMoly Engine Oil Flush. Can't comment on leaks or cracks because my car already had some engine oil leaks from the tappet seals and every mechanic advised me not to get them replaced as no one would be able to seal the tappet cover back like the factory fitting thus causing more problems.

Quote:

Also, how is the performance with LiquiMoly? I'm planning to shift to this one during the next service. This does seem to be bit costlier than the other VW spec engine oils in the market. Is it worth it? Would probably buy it from Amazon only. Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
I am doubting that changing an Engine oil brand/Grade will improve acceleration! More of a Placebo effect
To be honest, there will be a drastic difference when you observe the engine noise and vibration. After a service with Castrol, the car used to sound the same as before but I did observe some better throttle response after using Liquimoly. I have used Ceratec which might have caused the change as far as I think and engine braking has reduced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Guys, the engine flush additive is as good as snake oil - there are no tangible benefits of using it. I've used one on an occasion or two and honestly, it was a waste of money. The internet is divided between the opinions and you'll find many manufacturers warning users against using one. Unless the carbonised sludges have become like gunk like chyawanprash, you do not need oil flushes. If your oil changes have been done on schedule, you do not have to use oil flushes.
I did the engine oil flush just thinking of it to be a ritual TBH and I've never missed a single service. I just thought it helps because last year I had seen a mechanic do an engine flush in a Zen dating back to the early 2000s and it did ooze out the chyawanprash stuff.
There was a sieve type mesh in that car's engine which was blocked by the sludgy deposits.
Old 15th January 2022, 20:27   #1838
BHPian

The cover of front left wheel came off during the drive and I realised only after parking it. I drove it first time after service, so most probably result of shoddy work at workshop. My question is how much would it cost me to get a new one?

Last edited by cryptarchy : 15th January 2022 at 20:27. Reason: Grammar
Old 21st January 2022, 15:01   #1839
BHPian

Greetings,
Need advice from Senior Members regarding My 2014 Polo Comfortline.
The vehicle was earlier used only in the city commutes, but thanks to the current situations, it is now taken on long inter state commutes.
As a preparatory step, went for Wheel Alignment and balancing.
The technician called me to show the damaged suspension parts and worn out rubber bushes.
My FNG who is MAS, agreed to do the job if I procure, Lower Arms (VAG brand), Stabilizer Links, Balance Rods, Tie Rods and Ends ( Monroe Brand).
Are these parts and the respective brands good enough or should I change the shock absorbers as well?
I'm attaching the pictures for the reference.
Would be thankful if I get valuable advice regarding the above.
Thanks in advance.VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-img_20220121_121813.jpg

VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-img_20220121_121733.jpg

VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-img_20220121_120720.jpg

VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-img_20220121_120627.jpg
matchvan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 10:47   #1840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchvan View Post
Would be thankful if I get valuable advice regarding the above.
Thanks in advance.
The brands stated above are reputable and good. No need to change Shock Absorbers if they are not leaking oil and damping property is acceptable.
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2022, 15:03   #1841
BHPian

Hi,

Could anyone please suggest a good and genuine garage / service centre who is capable of working on my Polo in Mumbai (western suburbs or townside).

Really struggling to get hold of some genuine guy as I am getting fed up of sub-standard work by service centres.

Last edited by rahulk2510 : 6th March 2022 at 15:10. Reason: Spell check
Old 12th March 2022, 14:24   #1842
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

4th ABS sensor also replaced in my car. Please be advised, the OEM sensor part cost+labor now come at approx 6K. This is totally astronomical. So for 4 sensors it will cost 24K since all fail in a period of 2 years once the issue starts. Strangely the highest service cost in my Polo has come from this otherwise insignificant part.

Last edited by poloman : 12th March 2022 at 14:25.
Old 16th March 2022, 02:01   #1843
BHPian

I got the 4th service of my Polo 1.2L MPI done last month at Mody Autocorp. Attaching copies of the invoice. Got wheel alignment done there too, as well as an add-on warranty for the 5th year. This was the first time that the wheel alignment was done, since the car has done just 16,000 kms.

Upon being told that the final invoice amount was Rs. 11,255/-, I wasn't too pleased considering that the SA had added a Carbon Activated Air Filter and some unexplained 'Parts consumables' costing Rs. 1,000/- under Requested jobs without my consent. Unfortunately, he happens to be an acquaintance, which is why I just let it pass. The Add-On Warranty cost was Rs. 10,219/-. Apparently, since the 4 year warranty expired in January, the Add-on would only be activated 1 month after paying for it - something that the SA mentioned only after I swiped my card.

Also, the sales guys have goofed up the sale date. The car was delivered on 18th Jan 2018. The same date is mentioned on the tax invoice. However, the date of sale on the Add-on warranty is given as 30th Oct 2017. When I enquired with the service center, they simply washed off their dirty hands stating that the data was entered by the sales person and it can't be changed.

I now regret the decision of getting the car serviced there, considering that there is a way better FNG not too far from where I live, who would have serviced the car for just around Rs. 7000. The only reason I did it was to get the warranty extended, considering that I had 5 ABS sensors replaced under warranty over a period of 2 years.

VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-inkedinkedwhatsapp-image-20220316-1.35.26-am-1.jpg

VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-whatsapp-image-20220316-1.35.26-am-1.jpeg

VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-whatsapp-image-20220316-1.35.26-am-2.jpeg
Old 24th March 2022, 15:33   #1844
BHPian

Quote:
I recently bought a set of fog lamps for my
Attachment 2211910

However, I'm not really sure if this is an actual plug in connector or a dummy one. Pardon me for my limited knowledge but I'm confused if I should cut this and connect the wires using tape or if there is a connector being sold for this. Any leads would be helpful.
That's a plug for low tone horn installation and you have to remove the dummy connector and then reverse connector wires for the horn to make it work.
Old 29th April 2022, 15:37   #1845

Vw polo 1.5 tdi 2016 October model.

The car has clocked around 80100kms, I couldn't find guidance on when the polo diesel needs timing belt and injector change.

I'm looking to get a stage 1 ecu remap for my. Polo and the guys from code6 said to get a diagnostic report. He mentioned polo needs clutch plate change and timing belt change by 80k kms. While I've heard its over 100k kms. The service is due in upcoming days. Kindly guide me on this.
Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks