Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2021, 20:13   #1756
BHPian

Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Very sad. I have done much more damage in terms of dents and removed paint, though I don't think that my worst included an actual hole.
The ramp to the parking lot is a lot stepper, the approach has to be with some momentum to take the car over it without rolling down. Unfortunately I was preoccupied with thoughts and didn't watch my left mirror. There was a pointy thing on the gate which got stuck on my rear quarter panel. I knew it was going to be bad.

Last edited by PacmanBegins : 11th March 2021 at 20:26.
PacmanBegins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 20:19   #1757
BHPian

That's what I've been thinking, NCB may not amount to much vis-à-vis the actual service cost. Anyway I've asked a local body shop for a quote as well. Also since I'm not even halfway through my insurance, what if I have to claim again, it doesn't make sense to not to claim insurance for NCB when you have 9 months left in the coverage.
Old 11th March 2021, 20:21   #1758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_fox View Post
This is what it looks like on mine, have been quoted 5k from 1 local garage but I am looking for a better destination to get this fixed.
Yours doesn't look that bad next to mine. 5k from a local garage really puts things into perspective on what to expect from Volkswagen for my damage.

Last edited by PacmanBegins : 11th March 2021 at 20:31.
Old 11th March 2021, 21:23   #1759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacmanBegins View Post
That's what I've been thinking, NCB may not amount to much vis-à-vis the actual service cost. Anyway I've asked a local body shop for a quote as well. Also since I'm not even halfway through my insurance, what if I have to claim again, it doesn't make sense to not to claim insurance for NCB when you have 9 months left in the coverage.
It depends on what kind of policy your dealer has done for you, some policies allow 1 zero depp claim per year, some 2, some 3 and some unlimited. So check your policy, if you don't find the details, call the customer care number of your policy and they would tell you everything.
yesyeswe is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 22:14   #1760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
It depends on what kind of policy your dealer has done for you, some policies allow 1 zero depp claim per year, some 2, some 3 and some unlimited. So check your policy, if you don't find the details, call the customer care number of your policy and they would tell you everything.
Sure will do, thank you.
Old 12th March 2021, 21:20   #1761
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFang View Post
First of all, I am flabbergasted that such a small thing is linked with something like check engine warning. This experience reinforced my belief that an OBD2 sensor is a must to live peacefully with this car. I am sure that if I had given it to VW service center, consider their reputation they would have surely raised some part replacement quotation.
Engine warning light yet again. This time I felt like an idiot stopping and rechecking the fuel cap multiple times during my commute from work.
That's it. I'm getting a generic OBD II ELM327 from Flipkart. The delivery of the same is scheduled for Monday. To calm my nerves till then, someone please tell the possible reasons for this 'Check Engine' warning. My vehicle is running flawlessly.
Old 12th March 2021, 21:29   #1762
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Engine warning light yet again. This time I felt like an idiot stopping and rechecking the fuel cap multiple times during my commute from work.
That's it. I'm getting a generic OBD II ELM327 from Flipkart. The delivery of the same is scheduled for Monday. To calm my nerves till then, someone please tell the possible reasons for this 'Check Engine' warning. My vehicle is running flawlessly.
Since you had done the service from a non authorized service center and the warning appeared just after the service, advise not to take the warning lightly. Better to take to VW A.S.S for a check up.

Quote:
Yours doesn't look that bad next to mine. 5k from a local garage really puts things into perspective on what to expect from Volkswagen for my damage.
Make sure what technique they are using to fill the hole. Once I had a similar damage to the running board. The repair was looking good from outside. After a year or so the same area got dented and a big chunk of metal paste fell out exposing the hole again. Opted for a running board replacement this time.

Last edited by poloman : 12th March 2021 at 21:35.
poloman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 15:11   #1763
BHPian

Quote:
My 3 months old Polo had a gate crash while parking. The left door and the left rear quarter panel had starches and paint ripped off. The quarter panel has been damaged the most with a hole in the panel right next to the left rear door.
I got a quote from Volkswagen and from a local garage. Volkswagen quoted 8k plus taxes for the repair. They would work on the dent/hole and not replace the entire panel.
The local garage toucheuppeople quoted 6k to 9k depending on the service. They offer 3 package Budget, Premium and Platinum. They had a offer running, if the vehicle is less than 6 months they offer 25% off on the platinum package.
I've decided to go with Volkswagen only because they are the OEM.

Although the insurance would cover it, I've decided to foot the bill.
PacmanBegins is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 21:47   #1764
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I got a quote from Volkswagen and from a local garage. Volkswagen quoted 8k plus taxes for the repair. ...
That's good. I'm sure you'll be pleased with the result. Let us see the "after" pics on completion please!
Old 16th March 2021, 00:37   #1765
BHPian

Quote:
I have had several instances of Check Engine light showing up in my Ameo 1.2MPI without any noticeable change in car's behavior. This was until I got the throttle cleaning done during the annual service in January.

When the car was scanned during service, the error code clearly showed 'Air Intake too low'. The throttle body was taken out and the carbon deposits (that had accumulated over the time) were easily visible on it. The body was cleaned with petrol and then sprayed with some chemical mix to make it shine as new. Needless to say, the check engine light hasn't popped up again after this.

The service technician advised to avoid driving the car at low RPMs for too long. This will prevent the carbon particles to accumulate on the throttle.

Take a look at the carbon deposit that was cleaned out using petrol and a small brush -
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-file_000.jpeg  

neeraj08 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 14:03   #1766
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj08 View Post
I have had several instances of Check Engine light showing up in my Ameo 1.2MPI without any noticeable change in car's behavior. This was until I got the throttle cleaning done during the annual service in January.

When the car was scanned during service, the error code clearly showed 'Air Intake too low'.
Thanks. Do you remember the fault code?
I'm getting the following fault code in Torque pro.

P0068 MAP/MAF - Throttle Position Correlation

A quick google search reveals the following.
"disparity exists between the computer's sensors as to the volume of air entering the intake manifold."

Anyone aware of this in a VW Polo 1.2MPI?
Old 16th March 2021, 14:50   #1767
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Do you remember the fault code?
I'm getting the following fault code in Torque pro.

P0068 MAP/MAF - Throttle Position Correlation

A quick google search reveals the following.
"disparity exists between the computer's sensors as to the volume of air entering the intake manifold."

Anyone aware of this in a VW Polo 1.2MPI?
I do not remember the fault code I got, but the code you mentioned seems related to throttle intake only.
You can try getting the throttle body checked at your FNG or VW service centre.
If it’s indeed due to low air intake, you can get the throttle cleaned.
Old 16th March 2021, 16:11   #1768
Distinguished - BHPian

A P0068 is a so called generic code, which means that all cars with an OBD onboard are likely to have this implemented.

There are multiple reason why this code can appear, not just the throttle body.

If you have an OBD code and want to know a bit more pop it into something like this:

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0068

There are quite a few of these sites, but I find this one pretty good and comprehensive.
It describes the code, causes, diagnostic steps and possible solutions.

I have been promoting proper diagnosing techniques ever since I joined TeamBHP 10 years ago. Don’t start swapping parts without proper diagnosis. As this example shows, there could be at least 10 different causes, including, but not limited to the throttle body.

Have a look at the section for diagnosing: A lot of the initial trouble shoot checks are very simple. Its about finding potential air/vacuum leaks, checking electrical connections etc. Very simple, very fundamental to identifying the real cause. The root cause might still be something different all together.

E.g. you might find an air leak in a hose. That can be fixed easily, but why did it start to leak. Something rubbing against it, rubber deteriorated etc.

Modern OBD analyser tend to have all of the above (causes, diagnostic steps) included in an easy to use menu. So the technician gets guided through the actual trouble shooting based on the error code. Very handy, but to some extent, takes away some autonomous thought and analytical mind set of the technician.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 16:31   #1769
BHPian

Quote:
I've decided to go with Volkswagen only because they are the OEM.
Yes that would be the right choice as there is practically no difference between the two anyway. VW ASS generally do a very good job on the car (I had a minor accident with suspension level damage a few years back, repaired to AS-NEW condition) and it lasts! Waiting for the AFTER pics and the happy ending to this saga.
Old 19th March 2021, 13:45   #1770
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Let us see the "after" pics on completion please!
Got the car back from Volkswagen yesterday. Attaching the before and after pictures.

VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-comapre.jpg

Happy with the work done by Volkswagen.
PacmanBegins is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks