Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2020, 20:06   #1711
BHPian

Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparam View Post
Hi guys,

Don’t know whether this is the right topic for my query. Please move to appropriate if not.

I have attached image and that circled part is missing. Can anybody enlighten me about the part name and whether it will be available. Authorised centre is little far and they couldn’t reply me in phone.
The part no is 6R0864759, it seems to be there to block water ingress into the engine compartment(??). The ASS probably won't have it in stock but they can order it, though it will take a couple of weeks. Honestly, I don't think its that important.
SH1N1G4MI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 21:28   #1712

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH1N1G4MI View Post
The part no is 6R0864759, it seems to be there to block water ingress into the engine compartment(??). The ASS probably won't have it in stock but they can order it, though it will take a couple of weeks. Honestly, I don't think its that important.
Thanks a lot for replying. So can I cut some foam in same size and place it there. Just for being in safer side.
Old 6th December 2020, 00:41   #1713
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparam View Post
Thanks a lot for replying. So can I cut some foam in same size and place it there. Just for being in safer side.
Yeah, you can do that but I think even that is unnecessary. My car didn't have that part when it was delivered and I've yet to see any ill effects.
Old 22nd December 2020, 15:38   #1714
BHPian

I need some suggestions from my fellow Polo owners.

I own a 2017 Polo GT TDI. Third year service was done in the month of November 2020 and the car was running fine after that. During my recent trip to Mysore I got the car washed in a local service station. I noticed that the service station guys were cleaning the engine bay but didn’t think too much about it. After the wash I went home, which is very near to the service station, and the car was parked there for 3 days.
The next day, when I drove the car, although within the city, it just didn’t feel like before. There was no pickup which didn’t take me long to realize there was no turbo pull. So I took the car to a place where I could drive it more freely. I could feel the turbo pull then but just not the same as before. Previously, say in second gear, the turbo was pushing me to the seat at around 2000 RPM with just 30 to 40 percent of the throttle opened. And now turbo pull was experienced at around 2600 to 2700 RPM with full throttle pressed. It just didn’t feel like a Polo GT.

I went to the local service station to inquire and they said they used pressure washer to clean the engine bay. Apart from expressing my dissatisfaction there was nothing more I could do. I thought this would be the cause of the problem but was not sure. Since my home is very near to the place, I didn’t realize the lack of pickup on the day the car was washed so I cannot say for sure that pressure wash has caused this problem.

Anyway, I took the car to Volkswagen Mysore and explained what had happened. The SA took the car for a drive, I accompanied him, but he said everything was fine. I explained about the turbo pull not as sharp as before and he didn’t quite agree to it . He also mentioned if there were any issues with the engine, it would show on the speedometer console and since there was none, the car was fine. I asked him to run the diagnostics but he wasn’t too keen on it as he claimed he didn’t experience the problem. Apart from getting an already known advice to not get the engine bay pressure washed, nothing much happened. At this point, I, too, thought maybe the drive back to Bangalore will help me experience the problem better, if it exists.

Just as expected, the drive back to Bangalore wasn’t like before, it felt like it wasn’t the GT I was driving. Yes, there was the pull when I floored the pedal but the car wasn’t as enjoyable as before.

I searched for some helpful articles on the forum and I got the below threads
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ir-filter.html (Solved: VW Polo GT TSI power drop after service! It was the air filter)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post4383377

While both these threads say the problem would be with air filter, I’m not sure if that’s the case with my car too because the car was running fine after the yearly service with the new air filter.

Now, I’m not sure what to do. Would there be a problem because of the pressure wash? Would it clog the air filter to some extent? If I take the car to a service center here in Bangalore and if they say the same as the SA in Mysore, what do I need to do? Any suggestion would be helpful.
vishaljawahar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 16:21   #1715
BHPian

Just open the Air filter box, and ensure that there was no damage due to air. In case you see any water or damage due to moisture, replace the air filter. This should solve the issue. Meantime also check all the hose and its connection for any damage.
manjubp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 17:09   #1716
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm a bit disturbed by the second recent instance of hearing something like "Nothing on the dashboard: Nothing is wrong." or "Computer shows no fault: there is no fault."

If that is all a service advisor can say, then "Nothing in SA's brain. Useless. Sack him."

No doubt there are people who imagine problems with their cars, but for the most part, if a customer says something is wrong, then the customer's perception should be treated very seriously.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 11:29   #1717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishaljawahar View Post

Now, I’m not sure what to do. Would there be a problem because of the pressure wash? Would it clog the air filter to some extent? If I take the car to a service center here in Bangalore and if they say the same as the SA in Mysore, what do I need to do? Any suggestion would be helpful.
Few Pointers:
1. Rev the car in Neutral - do the revs move freely in the band ?
2. Check brakes for any jamming - touch the front and rear wheels after a drive with minimal braking. They should not be too hot.
3. Try blowing air in the engine bay esp. at all connectors and critical areas that don't get engine heat, to clear the moisture if any.
KkVaidya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 14:24   #1718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishaljawahar View Post
Try to go to a service centre and make them do a thorough check. Ask them to check the air filters and all hoses, pipes and connectors running through the engine. I had a power loss when my turbo hose pipe got torn/damaged (god knows how). It was just a mere power loss initially but the damage got worse after a few days where I was getting significant jerks when I press down the accelerator.

P.S I don't mean to say turbo hose pipe would be the issue but I just wanted to give an idea of what all could go wrong. Best to get it checked!
logicalidiot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 16:45   #1719
BHPian

For anyone that is in Mumbai and looking at alternative options for servicing or repairs, I recently tried Motofyx for brake work, engine oil flush and filter change and ABS sensor replcements and found their entire process quite unique. A lot would depend on the garage that they tie up with to get the work done, in my case there was a definite improvement in driveability.

A full mechnical checkup revealed several gremlins in the entire steering assembly as well as the suspension system though this work is still pending. The earlier reported AC issue was also narrowed down so all in all it was a worthwhile experience.

Getting all of these issues sorted would mean the car would be good enough for another 7 year stint with me.
Old 27th December 2020, 21:04   #1720
Senior - BHPian

How long do the shock absorbers on newer Polos (Gabriel components) last?

I had a leak on my right front strut and noises when turning the steering wheel. The car is a 2015 unit with 33k km on the clock. VW said it had to be replaced and suggested doing only one side. The cost was around Rs. 5000 for the right front unit (parts + labour).

My questions:

1) Isn't 33k a bit early for suspension component replacement? The car isn't driven on bad roads. I notice there are some reports like this - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...-vw-vento.html (Installed! TRW Struts in my VW Vento) - of early suspension replacement on the Polo/Vento so is this normal?

2) Is changing only the right front a good idea? The car feels normal to drive after the change but new parts on only one side seemed an odd idea. SA says it's fine though.

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 27th December 2020 at 21:06.
Old 27th December 2020, 21:36   #1721
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
How long do the shock absorbers on newer Polos (Gabriel components) last?

I had a leak on my right front strut and noises when turning the steering wheel. The car is a 2015 unit with 33k km on the clock. VW said it had to be replaced and suggested doing only one side. The cost was around Rs. 5000 for the right front unit (parts + labour).

My questions:

1) Isn't 33k a bit early for suspension component replacement? The car isn't driven on bad roads. I notice there are some reports like this - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...-vw-vento.html (Installed! TRW Struts in my VW Vento) - of early suspension replacement on the Polo/Vento so is this normal?

2) Is changing only the right front a good idea? The car feels normal to drive after the change but new parts on only one side seemed an odd idea. SA says it's fine though.
Parts for VW are either a hit or miss.

Running on the original shock absorbers at 1.05 lakh kms. Did change some of the suspensions components last year/ 20k kms ago. Pretty sure the link rods have already given up with clear rattling sound from the suspension.

If the shock absorber on the other side is perfectly within the manufacturer determined specs, it should be ok. If it's slightly worn out, better to get it replaced.
Turbohead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 19:09   #1722
BHPian

I am getting the smell of petrol in the cabin of my 2011 Polo 1.6 MPI. The service center has ascertained the reason to be a leaky fuel line. They are quoting Rs 12k to replace it. Any economical alternatives?
Old 29th December 2020, 19:33   #1723
Distinguished - BHPian

See your local independent garage. Repair might even be possible. Maybe that is a concept that the service centres don't like. Although labour ought to me more profitable to them parts.

I would regard it as urgent. Maybe even consider the car dangerous to drive. Worst case: 12k is cheaper than flash-whoosh-bang.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 09:45   #1724
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGearBox View Post
I am getting the smell of petrol in the cabin of my 2011 Polo 1.6 MPI. The service center has ascertained the reason to be a leaky fuel line. They are quoting Rs 12k to replace it. Any economical alternatives?
Please get it rectified ASAP. Petrol is easy to ignite and your car is a ticking timebomb!
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 19:33   #1725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGearBox View Post
Had a similar issue with my 2012 Polo Petrol couple of years back. Got it fixed at an independent garage. Don’t remember how much I paid but it was less than 12K.
Get it fixed immediately. In my case, the smell inside the cabin was so strong that waiting was not an option.
thetank is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks