Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2010, 20:36   #1351
Senior - BHPian

Have a Few queries.

1)Weather conditions are getting worse here up north,and there is lots of dust in atmosphere,i think intercooler is taking in more dust than air,through the hood scoop,is there anything that i need to take care of?

2)What speed\RPM should i maintain for running in,Currently i am shifting gears around 1500-1800RPM and that translates to speeds upto 80km\hr.
and for how many kms should i be easy with her?

3)I am not able to digest the fact that first service is at 5K kms,should i go for a oil change before that,or just stick to whats recommended.
Old 28th May 2010, 21:05   #1352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Have a Few queries.
aye aye sir, we are here to answer!

Quote:
1)Weather conditions are getting worse here up north,and there is lots of dust in atmosphere,i think intercooler is taking in more dust than air,through the hood scoop,is there anything that i need to take care of?
nothing. JUST LEAVE THE SCORPIO ALONE! DONT BE SO OVER POSSESSIVE!!!

just kidding buddy. i have driven my car through extremely dusty conditions & my car is running perfectly fine, so chillax.

Quote:
2)What speed\RPM should i maintain for running in,Currently i am shifting gears around 1500-1800RPM and that translates to speeds upto 80km\hr.
and for how many kms should i be easy with her?
for the first 1000kms, keep the tacho below 2k rpm & dont maintain a constant speed. thats it.

Quote:
3)I am not able to digest the fact that first service is at 5K kms,should i go for a oil change before that,or just stick to whats recommended.
hey hey hey, the scorpio is a male. so dont pamper him so much!!!
just stick to the recommended services & he will be fine.

any by the way, where is your ownership report with pics?
Old 28th May 2010, 21:30   #1353
Senior - BHPian

I agree with most of what Raj said.

Try to upshift at 2k rpm or thereabouts. Keep varying your speeds and you should be fine. Do take care not to lug the engine, it is as bad if not worse than over-revving.

I would suggest you get the oil changed at 1000 kms. But its just a suggestion and you won't be too worse off if you don't.

Cheers!
Old 28th May 2010, 21:37   #1354
Senior - BHPian

@Rajeev,Thanks

Ownership report coming soon,the hawk has not been registered yet,so not driving around much,have just 350Kms on odo.
Will post the Log soon,along with a Comparo with the bolero.
Old 30th May 2010, 10:21   #1355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Today the hissing continued for about a minute even after I turned the car off. It sounds like some kind of gas being released. I also felt a drop of water on my left foot while driving. I'm going to take the care to th ASC but would like to get a general idea as to how severe the problem is. If any of you have an idea i would appreciate your response. I want to go prepared to the ASC since they're a bunch of rip offs.

Thanks.
Yes, I hear this hissing too. It looks like the compressor is being automatically switched On/OFF during the low position, at regular interval. When you put the AC on high position, the compressor will be always on and you will not notice this. I will need to take a detailed look though.

During high humidity conditions, the AC ducts can accumulate water, if there are gaps in the insulation. Better to get it checked up in detail.
Old 31st May 2010, 13:20   #1356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasperRider View Post
Yes, I hear this hissing too. It looks like the compressor is being automatically switched On/OFF during the low position, at regular interval. When you put the AC on high position, the compressor will be always on and you will not notice this. I will need to take a detailed look though.

During high humidity conditions, the AC ducts can accumulate water, if there are gaps in the insulation. Better to get it checked up in detail.
Casper Rider

Thanks for the tip buddy. I'll get it checked and post the findings here.
Old 31st May 2010, 15:30   #1357
Senior - BHPian

I am getting around 8kmpl from the Scorpio,is it normal during running in?
i was expecting at least 10kmpl
Old 31st May 2010, 16:30   #1358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
for the first 1000kms, keep the tacho below 2k rpm & dont maintain a constant speed. thats it.
raj the turbo kicks in only at 1750 or a shade beyond that. At this rate methinks akshay will be competing only with the ricks in town and will only have time to keep looking at that tach to ensure he doesn't cross 2k .
akshay
its safe to run it till about 2500 rpm, at-least that's what I did and was recommended the same. No issues what so ever.

Quote:
I am getting around 8kmpl from the Scorpio,is it normal during running in?
i was expecting at least 10kmpl
Yeah that's what it tends to give you initially, 2nd service it should improve.
Old 31st May 2010, 16:47   #1359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
raj the turbo kicks in only at 1750 or a shade beyond that. At this rate methinks akshay will be competing only with the ricks in town and will only have time to keep looking at that tach to ensure he doesn't cross 2k .
akshay its safe to run it till about 2500 rpm, at-least that's what I did and was recommended the same. No issues what so ever.

Yeah that's what it tends to give you initially, 2nd service it should improve.
Well as of now i am keeping the turbo under control,live in cantonment,so i easily reach speeds around 70-75,just when you feel the turbo kick in i ease off.
Still trying to learn its road manners,The engine is more powerful than its chasis,bolero was way nimble and stable around curves
After driving it around for 10 days,i took Accent out for a spin last night,and o boy i was delighted,compared to the Scorpio,the hyundai handles as if its on rails.
i feel i will have to live with this Mileage for long,as it wont be used much.
11 days and 400kms on odo,sigh.

Last edited by akshay4587 : 31st May 2010 at 16:49.
Old 2nd June 2010, 21:06   #1360
Senior - BHPian

Mystery solved
the second button to the right inside the glove box is the Valet button.
took help of a nippon service technician and enabled all the features of the Central locking that were previously disabled.

Just noticed that there are 2 engine check lights in the instrument cluster.

1)The one above is normal

2)Second one has check written inside the icon.

When i turn on the ignition,the first one just blinks and goes off
the second one glows and goes off with ABS and the other water in diesel check light(or watever it is).

Is this behaviour normal?
Old 2nd June 2010, 21:08   #1361
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Just noticed that there are 2 engine check lights in the instrument cluster.

1)The one above is normal

2)Second one has check written inside the icon.

When i turn on the ignition,the first one just blinks and goes off
the second one glows and goes off with ABS and the other water in diesel check light(or watever it is).

Is this behaviour normal?
yes buddy, that is normal.
Old 2nd June 2010, 21:54   #1362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
yes buddy, that is normal.
Thanks rajeev,just completed 500kms on odo,in 2 weeks.
she will be registered tommorow most probably,then will take it on short highway spin,so that i can be eligible for ownership report.
Old 3rd June 2010, 12:33   #1363
Senior - BHPian

In normal conditions,the temperature needle stay just a notch below the half mark,i hope this is normal.
Now the query is,it takes around 4-5Kms of driving to reach this normal operating temperature.
being a diesel,shouldnt it reach this mark earlier?
my petrol Accent reaches normal operating temperature within 1-1.2Km of driving.
This is a concern for me,as i have a habit of turning on AC only when engine is at its optimal operating temperature.
In the Scorpio,i have to sweat it out for 4-5kms
Old 3rd June 2010, 13:08   #1364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In normal conditions,the temperature needle stay just a notch below the half mark,i hope this is normal.
Now the query is,it takes around 4-5Kms of driving to reach this normal operating temperature.
being a diesel,shouldnt it reach this mark earlier?
my petrol Accent reaches normal operating temperature within 1-1.2Km of driving.
This is a concern for me,as i have a habit of turning on AC only when engine is at its optimal operating temperature.
In the Scorpio,i have to sweat it out for 4-5kms
Gosh! akshay, you are really worried about your scorpio's health! chill buddy.

coming to your query, its again normal. it will take around 5 kms/5 mins of driving for the mHawk to reach the optimum temperature.

after this, you will notice that the engine response improves, it becomes smoother & also gear shift improves. by the way, you can switch on your AC as soon as you switch on your car. i normally wait for around 10 seconds after i start the engine, thats it.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 3rd June 2010 at 13:10.
Old 3rd June 2010, 16:28   #1365
Senior - BHPian

Akshay & Raj,

I love this discussion. This reminds me of a typical TV interview. Akshay, keep going buddy-Your car is one awesome ride.
Raj, you are the most responsive Scorpio owner on this board who really takes all the time to revert with relevant answers. APPRECIATE THAT!!

Next time when I am in Mumbai, looking forward to meeting you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks