Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2010, 13:04   #886
Senior - BHPian

Hi Bhargava, the year has had a happy start for you, I 'm sure! Good that the problem was resolved easily.

Regarding Ganesh's observation ("only a drop of coolant leak was noticed in the hose"), in hindsight I now feel that unless the coolant pump was running (engine running condition), the coolant leak / spray would not have been visible to you.

On the other, opening the bonnet with the engine running would have invited the risk of hot coolant spray ! Some care to be taken there for sure, when we attempt DIYs. Wising you happy times with your beast !

cheers,
mohit
Old 5th January 2010, 20:10   #887
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Scorpio clutch plates are very sturdy and if you are a good river, the clutch plate replacement will come up only after 1 L kms. Scorpio dealers vouch for life of 1.5 L. I changed my clutch plate at 95k as a preventive maintenance measure, it was still good for another 10-20K at that time.

The 2 engine foundations and 1 gear box foundation need tightening from time to time (dealers will tell you that it does not need to!). The foundation itself should be changed at 1L or earlier depending on state of the rubbers. The replacement reduces vibrations tremendously and makes you feel good. Surprisingly, neither the owners' manual nor the dealers have any drill to change this, and you have to tell them to do it.

Check the bush in the rear balancing rod, that is rubber and requires change. Leaf springs require to be recambered every 50-75K. The spring assembly is dismantled, the leaves hammered into shape, the bushes changed and refitted - takes you less than 2 hours. No need to change any leaf unless it is broken.

Engine noise and vibration - check/replace engine foundation, clean injectors, tighten allen bolts in engine tappet cover, but please do not open it. You may check if the tappet requires adjustment.

In case you have not changed the main belt, please do. Advised every 60,000 kms or 3 years. The least you can do is to take out the belt, examine it closely for cracks and change the belt and the pulley bearings.
I did a replacement of my engine foundations today for my Scorpio (84K on the odo), the results are very good indeed. Vibrations have come down by over 50%. A special thanks to HVKumarji for his advice. New entrants to the Scorpio club benefit tremendously from the experience of the members on this forum, I must say!
Cost details : Rs. 1,100 for the parts (engine isolators, as they termed them in my ASC), and Rs. 700 for the labour. Small price for greatly improved comfort indeed! Regards to all, Mohit
Old 6th January 2010, 21:26   #888
Senior - BHPian

I replaced the Engine mounts of my 2004 Scorpio GLx on 2nd April '08 at my FNG.

The cost breakdown:

Pair of VIR engine mounts - Rs. 650/-
Labour - Rs. 200/-

TOTAL - Rs. 850/-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
I did a replacement of my engine foundations today for my Scorpio (84K on the odo), the results are very good indeed. Vibrations have come down by over 50%. A special thanks to HVKumarji for his advice. New entrants to the Scorpio club benefit tremendously from the experience of the members on this forum, I must say!
Cost details : Rs. 1,100 for the parts (engine isolators, as they termed them in my ASC), and Rs. 700 for the labour. Small price for greatly improved comfort indeed! Regards to all, Mohit
Old 6th January 2010, 21:40   #889
Senior - BHPian

Oi guys!

Anyone got any info on the 3rd gear vibration solution?

The customer care is not responding.
Old 7th January 2010, 07:48   #890
Senior - BHPian

Thanks gd1418 for the feedback. My ASC rates do seem comparatively higher.
Also, while I was at my ASC here in Bangalore I saw, first hand for myself, "leaf spring servicing" being done by hammering away at the leaves, for the recambering of the springs!
Old 7th January 2010, 12:39   #891
Senior - BHPian

That is the universal way all over. The correct and proper way is to replace the entire unit with a new one. Remember, they are one of the most stressed parts in the truck.

Quote:
Thanks gd1418 for the feedback. My ASC rates do seem comparatively higher.
Also, while I was at my ASC here in Bangalore I saw, first hand for myself, "leaf spring servicing" being done by hammering away at the leaves, for the recambering of the springs!
Old 10th January 2010, 15:44   #892
Senior - BHPian

Thanks gd1418. I am putting off leaf spring replacement until I am able to personally check out a Scorpio with composite leaf springs.

Another issue I had with my ASC was regarding the idling rpm setting. I wanted it set at 900 rpm (warm), which was much much more comfortable in terms of vibrations during idling. However, despite my agreeing to a drop in FE, they refused to increase it beyound 850 rpm, claiming that the fuel pump might get damaged.

Calling upon all Scorpio Gurus, please tell me how true is the ASC's claim.
Old 11th January 2010, 01:32   #893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt.chandru View Post
I am not sure if that switch is going to be available, i inquired about it earlier and could not find anything that matches.
All of those who wish to add an additional switch for fog lights without a hole in the dash, there is a switch available which fits into the blanks next to Fuel lid switch / rear defogger switch. Its a simple process, just take out the blank and add this switch. It is manufactured by OCN which makes aftermarket fog lamps (hopeless though) for all cars. It costed me Rs. 200 (I feel I was charged higher than actual but couldnt say anything as the accessory shop is below my office so no bargain power) and has an inbuilt LED for indicating light on.

Also I changed my centre console AC vents (mine is a 2007 model and the vents suck big time) to those of new model. Costed me Rs. 550 and I fitted them on my own as its a simple DIY. I got them from authorised Mahindra parts dealer at Kashmere Gate.

Do PM me for any queries.

Last edited by WanderNomad : 11th January 2010 at 01:34.
Old 11th January 2010, 09:17   #894
Senior - BHPian

Dear Scorpio mHwack/CRDe owners,

This is strictly not a question on problem related to your vehicle but there is no better place to ask.
1. What do you do to ensure quality of fuel in your vehicle ?
2. Have you ever faced any issue like engine sound change or idle RPM fluctuation or smoke due to adulterated fuel ?

I was shown a blueish - green sample producing little froth from my fuel tank ( Not on Scorpio but in Safari) where as Diesel looks little yellowish

Service Adviser told me that this is a very common problem due to adulterated fuel so I just became curious if any one else faced this problem or not.

Actually there is a thread on How to ascertain purity of Diesel but I am not asking a generic question but a specific question on personal experience of Scorpio owners on fuel related issued ( if any) on a Common Rail engine.

Mods please do not move this post to anywhere else.

Last edited by amitk26 : 11th January 2010 at 09:19.
Old 11th January 2010, 10:23   #895
Senior - BHPian

hi amit,

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
1. What do you do to ensure quality of fuel in your vehicle ?
nothing. i just fill normal diesels (no turbojet or hi-speed diesel or any premiuim diesel) from a good pump. i have tried many fuel pumps in my neighborhood & so now i know which pump delivers better fuel quality.

somtimes when i am filling from a shoddy or unknown bunk, i use system-D.

i have seen my scorpio prefers indian oil normally! lesser NVH & effortless pick up.

at the same time, my innova prefers HP!!! if you fill it with IO, it starts to belch out black smoke, no such problems in the scorpio.

Quote:
2. Have you ever faced any issue like engine sound change or idle RPM fluctuation or smoke due to adulterated fuel ?
yes, engine noise change is observed (though not much) when i fill from HP or bharat petroleum. also, when you rev the car a lot, it emits black smoke.

but no idle RPM fluctuation is observed.
Old 11th January 2010, 10:40   #896
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
nothing. i just fill normal diesels (no turbojet or hi-speed diesel or any premiuim diesel) from a good pump. i have tried many fuel pumps in my neighborhood & so now i know which pump delivers better fuel quality.

yes, engine noise change is observed (though not much) when i fill from HP or bharat petroleum. also, when you rev the car a lot, it emits black smoke.

but no idle RPM fluctuation is observed.
I mean adulterated as in Kerosene / neptha / Oil mixed not the premium/non-premium thing. I think people who have driven long distance and filled at unknown isolated villages may have faced this problem some time or other until some precaution is taken not to fill at small pumps in deserted placed.
Old 11th January 2010, 13:00   #897
Distinguished - BHPian

@amit: Adultrated fuel is definitely a problem for CRde engines. However, I suspect it is an even bigger issue with the new generation 2.2 engines from Mahindra and Tata.

This is probably why we may not have heard so much of this issue with the older 2.6 Mahindra CRDe and the 3.0 DICOR from Tata.

As Raj suggested there is nothing much you can do except stick to a single petrol bunk in your neighbour hood which is good. When travelling long distance try to find a better maintained one and if you are forced to fill in a shady pump, fill only minimum required to get you to the nearest big town.
Old 11th January 2010, 14:08   #898
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
I mean adulterated as in Kerosene / neptha / Oil mixed not the premium/non-premium thing. I think people who have driven long distance and filled at unknown isolated villages may have faced this problem some time or other until some precaution is taken not to fill at small pumps in deserted placed.
i understood that buddy. i just added the premium thingy from my side!

IMO, a little adulteration happens in all bunks. thats the reason i said, when i fill from a shoddy/unknown bunk, i add system D. i am really not sure whether it works or not, but it does give a little more courage!!!

as 4x4addict mentioned, the new 2.2s are definitely more sensitive to adulterated fuel. but till now i never had an issue in which i had to open the fuel tank & so i am unaware about the bluish green sample you spoke about.
Old 12th January 2010, 13:08   #899
Senior - BHPian

Two years back I had almost decided on the composite leaf spring for my Scorpio. They were lighter, stronger and retained their camber for long.

But a chance remark from my FNG made me put on the thinking cap again. Although snapping or breaking of the composite leaf spring is unheard off, till now, what if such a thing happened while travelling long distance? This type is not very popular and especially unheard in most of the places.

While the conventional metal leaf spring can be repaired anywhere & everywhere, the composite one cannot. To prevent such an eventuality as this, would one carry the old metal leaf spring set in the boot, just in case? NO. It would add to the weight and eat up space.

That made me decide against it. Secondly, while the composite one supposed to reduce the roll considerably and handles sharp turns at high speed nicely, how many times does one attempt these? SUVs are not meant for cornering.

Increasing the engine idle RPM (warm) from 850 to 900 or even 950, won't stress the fuel pump. Alternatively, you can install an electronic fuel pump just before the diesel filters to prime the main fuel pump and keep enough pressure in the fuel lines.

Quote:
Thanks gd1418. I am putting off leaf spring replacement until I am able to personally check out a Scorpio with composite leaf springs.

Another issue I had with my ASC was regarding the idling rpm setting. I wanted it set at 900 rpm (warm), which was much much more comfortable in terms of vibrations during idling. However, despite my agreeing to a drop in FE, they refused to increase it beyound 850 rpm, claiming that the fuel pump might get damaged.

Calling upon all Scorpio Gurus, please tell me how true is the ASC's claim.
Old 12th January 2010, 18:49   #900
Senior - BHPian

Wow, gd1418, that sure is quite a logical analysis!

Well, in my case, apart from body roll, I also wanted to reduce my feeling of the vehicle's constant bobbing up and down & from side to side, which I have heard is more prevalent in Scorpios (since you also own a Safari, please correct me here, from your personal experience).

I do not know whether the composite leaf spring will help in this case.

Regarding the idle rpm setting at 900 rpm, I will do it at a good FNG nearby. Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks