Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2009, 11:03   #811
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR View Post
Folks,
Mine is 49k on the odo, redid the entire front suspension.Noticed that the front left S.A has leaked. I just changed my OE jk vectra to Apollo Hawk A/t. Will this issue spoil handling/tyres and braking.Is swapping it a simple chore or the tyre needs to be removed to change the S.A is a replacement is bought.Should both be changed ? Pls advice.
Folks,
Pls give inputs
Old 14th December 2009, 11:20   #812
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR View Post
Folks,
Pls give inputs
Changing the shock absorbers is not a very critical job, though removing them is sometimes a little tricky because of jammed nuts. Since you've recently redone your suspension, that should not be an issue. Access to shock absorbers can only be done after removing the tyres (to remove lower end bolt), and by opening the bonnet to release the upper mounting.

Leaky shock absorbers do lead to handling/braking problems as well as uneven tyre wear.

Ideally both shock absorbers on the same axle should be changed together, but in reality, your mechanic can check the other one for adequate damping effect manually, and advise you to retain it. But the other one does need to be opened out and checked at least, when replacing the leaky one.
Old 14th December 2009, 11:44   #813
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atanand View Post
... a humming noise from the Engine bay...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Humming usually indicates a bearing issue.
There is no easy way to diagnose this...
One of the easier ways to localize the humming to a particular component (AC compressor, water pump, idler pulleys, steering pump, alternator etc.) is to use a stethoscope (MECHANIC'S STETHOSCOPE; Chain Auto Tools & Accessories). In the absence of one, improvisation can be done using a long (18" +) screwdriver - placing the tip on the relevant area and listening with the ear to the handle. Careful about getting the tip fouled with moving parts.
Old 14th December 2009, 12:17   #814

Scorpio Brake Fail

Hi,

I had a terribly weired experince yesterday which I would like to share with fellow members.

I have Scorpio Dx (CRDe 2005) model. I got is serviced 1.5 months back from a reputed service station (SS) in Mumbai (I have yearly contract with them). Since last 4 days I realized the tail light (brake light) remain on even in the driving mode. I decided to show this to SS yesterday. I went there in the afterooon and after brief review he eletrical mechanic confirmed that some rubber bush / pad should be changed near the brake paddle. He changed it free of cost and I drove my car back home (3 kms). While driving I realize brakes where harder than normal. I assumed it may be becoz of replaced part.

In the evening I have to attend my best friends receiption which was some 30kms from my home. While driving I realize brakes become very hard and car was not picking up speed and was unable to climb flyovers even on 4th gear. After driving for 20 kms the brakes gave away, i was teribbly shocked but fortunately I managed to control the vheicle and halted it on snatacruz flyover. Well I realized both front tyres where very very hot and in smoke, also grease was ozzing out. I had my wife and daughter with me.

Well after a lot of coordination SS personal arrived (the one who worked on it in the afternoon) and tested the car. By that time I sent my wife and daughter back home and my plan to attend receiption were off (big loss as he is my best friend).

Finally mechaniic drove the car back to SS and he kept in stating that he is pumping brakes several times so they work, I am not sure what that ment.

Also I realized later on (as told by mechanic) there was another switch which was disconnected by mechanic. He says it was for central locking and has nothing to do with braking ssytem.

Today I called SS up and they say everthing seems fine and nothing is wrong. they also state the change made yday should not affect braking but they also conncted switch for central locking which seems to be fishly to me.

Well have anyone ever experienced / heard of such incidences. I was fortunate to survive without any hassle but things might have been different.

I need some experet advice on this so that I can be more careful next time.

Thanks in advance.

Tushar.
Old 14th December 2009, 12:36   #815
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Something is quite fishy.

The Authorized centre has goofed up.

1) The Central locking switch being switched off ?? why do it in the first place.
2) They seem to have tightened some part of the braking system such that it was in contact with the pads while driving (like pulling the hand brake and driving.) Causing the disk and pads to heat up, and grease to ooze out (not from the braking system which uses oil) but from the wheel hub.
3) If it was not their fault they would have charged you a bomb for the brake repairs. I suspect that your disk and pads may have been excessively used in this process. they may have polished the disks off and use the same to save on a major expense.
Old 14th December 2009, 12:41   #816
Distinguished - BHPian

First of it is not clear if it is an Authorised service center or not. I too feel that they screwed up what ever part that was replaced causing your brakes to jam and the pads to wear out. This issue is specific to your vehicle and to the service center you use. Not sure what advice team bhpians can give you other than to use a reputed place which you say it is. If it is an authorized server center you should take this up with Mahindra corporate immediately. They will get involved and sort out the issue. If it is not Authorized place, it's just bad luck, I guess.
Old 14th December 2009, 12:47   #817
Senior - BHPian

this sounds totally weird.
is this an authorized service centre or not?
it is difficult to say what could have caused this and frankly i wonder what connection could possibly be there between the central locking and the brakes!
It is possible that during servicing the personnel there may have done something wrong in brake maintenance which has resulted in this.
either way I think you need to immediately take up the problem at the highest level at the workshop and get M&M involved too!
Old 14th December 2009, 14:03   #818
Senior - BHPian

As he said "pumping the brakes several times" it means brake bleeding in correct terms.
This is done to remove all the air from the brake lines whenever any brake adjustment is done and not doing so will result in brakes being hard after a while. May be they did not bleed the brakes properly earlier or forgot to put in some washer / nut so there was air in the brake lines.

Just ask them what exactly they did and seems this is not connected to your central locking in any way.

Last edited by amitk26 : 14th December 2009 at 14:04.
Old 14th December 2009, 14:24   #819

Hi,

Thanks for quick reply. The service center where I have AMC is quite reputed one and is mahindra authorised.

Well they are ensuring that they will look into all issues and resolve those. Well two issue flagged above (regarding disks and pads) helped a lot so that I can speak with them on this.

let me know if the above incidence affects any other part of my car so that I can follow-up with the SS.

Thanks again.

Tushar.
Old 14th December 2009, 14:36   #820
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvsakpal View Post
Hi,

let me know if the above incidence affects any other part of my car so that I can follow-up with the SS.
Get the hubs re-greased and seals checked as you mentioned grease was oozing out, Lack of grease may have impact of bearings.
Old 14th December 2009, 15:11   #821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
The front suspension of the Scorpio 4WD and Safari 4WD has a Torsion Bar set up. These are adjustable. You can confirm by doing the following. Park your vehicle on level ground. Measure the distance from ground to the middle of the fenders on both sides of the vehicle. This way you can confirm the issue.
got sorted out in 20 minutes (but 2 hours into and back from service center). Torsion bar adjustments - the left lean was 35 mm.
Old 14th December 2009, 23:47   #822
BHPian

Greetings,

Finally, i am taking my car to the *** tomorrow for the 50k service and replacement of the " KIT " ( as stated by A.S.S.) , which is going to stop my 3rd gear vibration.
Will keep you guys posted on the service and the change if any.

I am also looking forward to change to a K&N Air Filter , what do you people suggest ?
Old 15th December 2009, 07:53   #823
Senior - BHPian

"After driving for 20 kms the brakes gave away"

Tushar,
Looks like the brake oil circuit might have suddenly leaked because of the brakes getting locked and resulting high pressure. Please check the brake fluid level at the earliest, to make sure the SS has topped it up.
Old 15th December 2009, 09:01   #824

Dear All,

Thanks for all your comments and guidance. Well the beast is back and rurrning good. My contact pint at SS did agreed that electrical mechnic goofed up, he diodnt tighten a switch properly which resluted in the incident. I am still going to take this up with SS manager as at least they should not repeat such things.

Another query though, I drove 22 kms today and avg speed was 75-80 kms/hr (as its a highway). After parking my car in office i checked all 4 tyres and the wheel caps were quite hot. I never tested this earlier hence not sure if this is normal. Please guide.

Thanks,
Tushar.
Old 15th December 2009, 10:21   #825
Senior - BHPian

Only Beige interiors in SLE?

Hi Guys,

I'm planning to buy a Scorpio SLE 7 Seater in 2-3 months, and would like to know:

Does this variant have dark grey interiors for any body colour at all (I just HATE Beige!) ? If yes, then that's my colour of choice.

The lady at Sahyadri Motors in Pune said that Fiery Black & Mist Silver do have dark grey interiors, but she didn't seem too confident, and the website doesn't validate her assertion. I've emailed M & M customer care but have yet to hear from them.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Cheers,
Vikram

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks