Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2009, 11:10   #661
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohnish View Post
It was done to a Maruti Omni many years back that my Dad owned.
The kamaniwallahs I knew were quite averse to recambering Maruti (800 and Omni) spring leaves. Those cars only had a single main leaf holding up the car, not a bunch of leaves, and what the fellows had to say was that the metals came highly tempered (more so than Ambys/Fiats), and hammering them was bound to make them crack.

Quote:
Honestly, hvkumar I wonder if repairing of leaves has not been a bad thing at all in your case, considering the number of times you have had issues with the leaves. I have never till date had a broken leaf, though the Maruti I referred above did snap a leaf, maybe cause the leaves were recambered, like in your case.
HVK, I guess you've had your suspension attended to maybe 3, 4 times? That's not bad at all. Incidentally, BOTH my M-800 springs broke within 10 days of each other (completely original, never hammered/recambered/heated) at @45,000 km after my trip to Gangotri and Badrinath.

Springs break - hammering or no hammering. No big deal. But then...
Quote:
I guess, to each their own!
Old 21st October 2009, 11:26   #662
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

this is absolutely correct.
I ve seen this many a time on the old Amby's and Fiats as well as the Old Mahindra Jeeps and some of the lorries too. It was a regular road side cottage industry in the 1970's, 80's and even 90's.
And it WAS funny to see the suddenly raised rear of the Amby after the leaf springs had gotten re-cambered with the old hammer and blowtorch method.The amby acquired, (to my mind), a slightly "constipated" appearance after re-cambering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Mohnish, this 'fixing' or repairing of leaf springs is an old tradition in our country! In complete ignorance, all and sundry have re-cambered leaf springs with a modest hammer and at times a blow torch, ever since the advent of the first of our Indian automobiles like the Baby Hindustan and the Landmasters! I've seen this highly questionable practice for over five decades now!

Last edited by khan_sultan : 20th February 2019 at 19:16. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 23rd October 2009, 11:18   #663
BHPian

I went to a tyre shop yesterday. I wanted to get 4 Tubeless Tyres fitted.

The guy was checking my front tyres for a buyback. He observed there were "Gaddas" (Small Uneven Patches on the Almost new Bridgestone H/T Tyres. He advised me that I needed to get the Shock Absorbers and the Suspension checked before I fitted new tyres.

Now tomorrow I am planning to go to MASS (Bhasin Motors, New Delhi) for this. My NON CRDE Scorpio has done 66,000 kms Can the seniors please advise about what all needs to be checked. What could be the causes of this. What all in the Suspension and Shocks could be wrong at this stage of the Vehicle ?

HV Sir, what was the maintainence schedule of the Suspension and Shock Absorbers on your Scorpio. YOur inputs would be really helpful.

Thanks
Styler
Old 23rd October 2009, 11:54   #664
Senior - BHPian

I would change the tie rod ends and other rubbers in the suspension after checking if it is frayed and old. Normally, I do my suspension overhaul (changing rubbers, etc) every 50,000 kms. Shock absorbers may be good, very little reason to change them unless they are leaking or otherwise faulty.

I would suspect your wheel alignment - change your wheel alignment guy and see how the car performs.

Have hub degreasing also done - that will also check out the state of your wheel bearings and replace if necessary (although Scorpio bearings are very robust and long-lived)
Old 23rd October 2009, 12:01   #665
BHPian

@pramod

I have seen many a VLX with broken alloy wheel protrusions. (the cup like thing that sticks out). In all probability your's would have cracked and then broken. Now Mahindra fixes the flat round caps in the centre. See if you can get those fitted.
Cheers
Old 23rd October 2009, 12:15   #666
BHPian

I had the flat round one, I certainly believe it was intentional by someone or may be boys playing in the basement, because the vehicle was standstill for almost 45 days, anyway its out of stock at service center for now, they will let me know when its in , anyone willing to help me from there town is appreciated.

-Pramod
Old 23rd October 2009, 12:22   #667
BHPian

Hello guys,

I just returned from a Mumbai-Sasan Gir- Mumbai road trip. In 5 days I drove my VlX for a distance of about 1,850 Kms. Most of the drive was on excellent tarmac roads with a little off roading in Gir. This is the first time that my Scorp went interstate and I must say that this vehicle is very reliable, responsive, sturdy, comfortable and commands respect from everyone else on the road.

After the trip I have noticed some creaking in the front seats. I also found that the steering shakes / vibrates between speeds of 100-120. Is this because of a wheel alignment issue?

My car has just completed 20,000 kms and the servicing is due. Do you guys know what is to be checked, tightened, lubricated and replaced during the 20k service? 'Cos last time I left the Authorised Service Centre after the 15K servicing, the service rep said " next service mein balancing, alignment karega aur fuel / diesel filter change karega" and a bunch of other things. It somehow sounded like preparing me in advance for a major rip off. I could be wrong though. Do any of you guys know what exctly has to be done in the 20k service?

Cheers

Last edited by Wolfheart : 23rd October 2009 at 12:33.
Old 23rd October 2009, 12:28   #668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
I had the flat round one, I certainly believe it was intentional by someone or may be boys playing in the basement, because the vehicle was standstill for almost 45 days, anyway its out of stock at service center for now, they will let me know when its in , anyone willing to help me from there town is appreciated.

-Pramod
Try calling the toll free Mahindra helpline, they should be able to help arrange for it. The number is imprinted on your car key.
Old 23rd October 2009, 12:32   #669
Senior - BHPian

hi wolfheart, here are the details of the 20,000 kms service of my scorpio:

Quote:
here is the break up of the service bill:

1) Maximile supreme oil - 6 lit. - Rs. 912/-
2) Oil filter - 1 - Rs. 138/-
3) Max treat (Oil additive added on my request) - 1 - Rs. 346/-
4) Fuel filter - 1 - Rs. 1445/-
5) Washer - 4 - Rs. 64/-
6) Cotton Waste - 2 - Rs. 17/-
7) W.D. 40 - 1 - Rs. 54/-

Labour Charges:

1) Change engine oil - Rs. 300/-
2) Fuel Filter - Rs. 300/-
3) Vehicle Washing - Rs. 450/-

# Whats shocking:
1) Rs. 17/- for the cotton waste!!! why are they acting like beggars?
2) Labour charge Rs. 450/- for vehicle washing! does every A.S.S. charge for this?
Old 23rd October 2009, 12:44   #670
Senior - BHPian

20,000 kms is too early to do any serous work on the Scorpio. Like what Raj said, it will typically be a oil-filter change service.

Check out wheel balancing and alignment - explains the vibration problem.
Have the brake pads cleaned, will have taken lot of dust during the GJ trip.
Have them check all the underbody nuts and tighten, if necessary.
Old 23rd October 2009, 12:48   #671
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I would change the tie rod ends and other rubbers in the suspension after checking if it is frayed and old. Normally, I do my suspension overhaul (changing rubbers, etc) every 50,000 kms. Shock absorbers may be good, very little reason to change them unless they are leaking or otherwise faulty.

I would suspect your wheel alignment - change your wheel alignment guy and see how the car performs.

Have hub degreasing also done - that will also check out the state of your wheel bearings and replace if necessary (although Scorpio bearings are very robust and long-lived)
Thank you for the prompt response.

Styer
Old 23rd October 2009, 14:07   #672
BHPian

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Try calling the toll free Mahindra helpline, they should be able to help arrange for it. The number is imprinted on your car key.
I didn't realized the numbers imprinted on the key are toll free number, I had to search the manual during leh trip to call the help line, a big thanks, now I know I don't have to go back and see the manual for number!!
-Pramod
Old 23rd October 2009, 14:22   #673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
hi wolfheart, here are the details of the 20,000 kms service of my scorpio:
hello Raj,

Good to hear from you again. My A.S.S guys are rip offs, they charge me 650 for a full car wash with pressure hoses and they wash the underbody as well. The local petrol pump does it for less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
20,000 kms is too early to do any serous work on the Scorpio. Like what Raj said, it will typically be a oil-filter change service.

Check out wheel balancing and alignment - explains the vibration problem.
Have the brake pads cleaned, will have taken lot of dust during the GJ trip.
Have them check all the underbody nuts and tighten, if necessary.
Thanks HVKumar! I got the oil changed at 13000 Kms. Do I get it changed this time or would it last longer? Is it advisable to get the alignment and balancing done from a Tyre Shop, since they would be more efficient and cheaper as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
I didn't realized the numbers imprinted on the key are toll free number, I had to search the manual during leh trip to call the help line, a big thanks, now I know I don't have to go back and see the manual for number!!
-Pramod
You're welcome Pramod. Is your Scorp 4WD? I read your Ladakh travelogue. I'm flirting with the idea of driving my Scorp there next year, however mine is a 2WD and I love it a lot. Would the ladakh trip cause any irreversible damage?

Last edited by Wolfheart : 23rd October 2009 at 14:28.
Old 23rd October 2009, 14:30   #674
Senior - BHPian

Oil change - depends on state of engine oil. Since you have done a long trip, maybe you should check and change, if required.

My Scorpio was fantastic in Ladakh, don't even dream of going any other way next year.
Old 23rd October 2009, 14:43   #675
BHPian

nope, its 2WD , no damage as such from Ladakh trip, I may do it again next year!
-Pramod

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks