Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2009, 17:24   #541
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
sorry, i dint get the meaning of the part marked in bold.
@ Raj: You said
Quote:
@ SS-Traveller: in my case, only the ABS light blinks. so i assume the brakers are okay.
Since your (!)(P) light is off, it indicates
Quote:
your hydraulics are fine. (And your handbrake is off too!)
THe (!)(P) light is a single light that lights up in case of hydraulic failure OR low brake oil OR when the handbrake is on. That's what I meant.
Old 12th September 2009, 19:28   #542
Senior - BHPian

another strange thing i noticed is that today i could feel a slight smell of diesel from my car. when i opened the bonnet, it was indeed diesel. the smell is coming from the bonnet & i suppose there is a leak somewhere.

bad thing is- my car is giving headaches.
good thing is- both problems came together & can be solved together in one visit to the A.S.S (that is, if mahindra's technicans are good enough!)
Old 14th September 2009, 18:52   #543
Senior - BHPian

Thank you guys for your help. the issue of the ABS light was traced to a loose connection in the wiring. issue is solved, as of now.

Quote:
another strange thing i noticed is that today i could feel a slight smell of diesel from my car. when i opened the bonnet, it was indeed diesel. the smell is coming from the bonnet & i suppose there is a leak somewhere.

bad thing is- my car is giving headaches.
good thing is- both problems came together & can be solved together in one visit to the A.S.S (that is, if mahindra's technicans are good enough!)

about the issue of the diesel smell coming from the bonnet, i was right. the fuel return pipe unplugged itself from its hose automatically! the car was taken to the A.S.S some 25 kms away & around 25 litres of diesel was wasted on the road! it was replaced under warranty.
Old 14th September 2009, 19:00   #544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

about the issue of the diesel smell coming from the bonnet, i was right. the fuel return pipe unplugged itself from its hose automatically! the car was taken to the A.S.S some 25 kms away & around 25 litres of diesel was wasted on the road! it was replaced under warranty.
What was replaced under warranty? The pipe, of course; but what about the diesel?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
One more confirmation of my diagnosis!

... or a loose electrical connection.
Bang on target.

Last edited by anupmathur : 14th September 2009 at 19:03.
Old 14th September 2009, 19:04   #545
Senior - BHPian

the diesel... well, its gone!
because just to reach the A.S.S, i had to fill some 25 lit of diesel on my way there. i dint want to take the risk of stalling the vehicle. so the scorpio reached the A.S.S with 1/4th tank of diesel.
also, i dont expect mahindra guys to pay me for the diesel nor fill in some for me. even if they do, they will hand over the bill to me!

remember, i was charged Rs. 3000 for AC gas filling which was leaked due to defective AC coil which was under warranty!
Old 15th September 2009, 15:45   #546
BHPian

Hi Raj,

Did you not try calling the MAhindra helpline for road assistance rather than drive with a probably leaking fuel system? It could have also saved you some diesel.
Old 15th September 2009, 16:04   #547
Senior - BHPian

actually, i had plugged in the pipe myself before leaving my house & thought that it would stay there till i reach the A.S.S, but some constant headlight flashing of cars in my RVM made me stop & check. the pipe had come loose again! then i was already half way to the A.S.S & so, i drive till there with more 2 stops in between to plug the pipe!
Old 16th September 2009, 19:25   #548
BHPian

Going off topic here. How much is the difference between brakes with and without ABS? There are many guys here with the older scorpios without any ABS. Are the brakes in those vehicles adequate? The kind of driving i am referring to is mostly in city (80%) and some highway driving. Even the highway driving will be mostly restricted to speeds not in excess of 90-100 kph at max.
Old 16th September 2009, 19:36   #549
Senior - BHPian

braking in a non-ABS scorpio is pathetic. we do have a non-ABS scorpio too & the car simply refuses to stop at speeds in excess of 60 kmph! but in all my experiences, the scorpios without ABS has always come to a halt in a straight line.

ABS is a must in the scorpio.
Old 16th September 2009, 20:35   #550
BHPian

Thanx buddy. Considering the weight and size of the vehicle, good braking has to be a must. ABS does seem absolutely worth the premium from what you describe.
Old 17th September 2009, 09:34   #551
BHPian

I own a CRDE 2.6 and the braking is adequate provided you do not throw the car around much on curves. Ofcourse, ABS is welcome, but it's not as if the non abs braking is so bad as to pose a hazard. One must know what his vehicle is and is not capable of and stay within those limits.
Old 17th September 2009, 10:43   #552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekharlele View Post
I own a CRDE 2.6 and the braking is adequate provided you do not throw the car around much on curves. Ofcourse, ABS is welcome, but it's not as if the non abs braking is so bad as to pose a hazard. ....
Totally with you on this, Shekhar!
The braking is adequate; could have been better.

Most important is the fact that these Scorpios are not meant to be chucked around with gay abandon!
Old 17th September 2009, 13:00   #553
Senior - BHPian

About braking , How can ABS actually alter the effective braking ( under normal conditions ) ?

Does m-Hawk has different brake pads / lining / hub or disc diameter or modification in hydraulic system then cRDe or 2.6 ?

As per my understanding braking effectiveness depends on the brake pad , lining , hub and hydraulics and ABS comes in to picture only if lockup is detected by ABS sensor. So with an equally effective brake without ABS you will end up locking wheels and turning 90 deg or turtle under slippry conditions but with ABS the brake will be released in pulsating motion preventing lockup of wheels and improving stability.

As an example Safari VX / GX ( With ABS) and EX/LX ( without ABS) braking is almost same on dry road you can see the difference only in extreme condition where EX/LX wheel would lock.
Old 17th September 2009, 18:27   #554
Senior - BHPian

amit, even i dry conditions & at high speeds, if emergency braking is applied, the wheels of the SUV do lock up due to its weight & inertia.

yes, but in some situations, in dry conditions, a car without ABS CAN stop faster than the same car with ABS. but the trade off is that, car with ABS can be steered to safety while braking. if you try this in cars without ABS, the vehicle would swerve out of control.
Old 18th September 2009, 08:49   #555
BHPian

Hey Amit,

You make an interesting point. ABS helps in preventing brakes from locking up under heavy braking conditions, but it works with the existing brake system of the vehicle, which means the same brake liners, pads, booster et al. What is possibly of more interest is the EBD or electronic breakforce distribution, which sort of distributes braking power between front and rear wheels. The Mhawk has ABS, but not EBD (I think)...

Now, coming to throwing the scorp around on curves, I noticed a curious thing. I stay at Lokhandwala (andheri) and for those familiar with the area, the back road has a beautiful 90 degree curve on the road. None of my vehicles including the Indica, Santro or even the Innova manage to corner it well (meaning, giving me a feeling of stability) over 40. The scorpio also faces the same issue of pitching to the left at anything above 40, but If I try, I get a distinct feeling of moving in my seat! But this could also be due to my worn out tyres. Any of you experienced similar stuff?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks