Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2009, 23:17   #511
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
IMO a diesel pump problem will translate into a loss of power as well as starting problems, so also will injector blockage...
I have experienced black smoke without a noticeable loss of power in a Mercedes Benz 1984 240D, hence my suggestion.

Quote:
... the reason is likely to be a stuck-open EGR valve - this is making the fuel consumption go up as the electronics tries to compensate for the low-oxygen air with extra fuel. 80k km is a good time to take a look at the functioning of the EGRV....
Isn't the EGR the thing that regulates the pressure to spin the turbo? If yes, wouldn't an EGR stuck result in the turbo not spinning at optimum and providing the correct boost? = major and noticeable loss of power. Also, does the Crde have an O2 sensor?

Quote:
... Could also be due to spurious diesel. But that again will show up as loss of power.
I am not entirely convinced that there is actually no loss of power. It could be very slight and may go unnoticed depending on the normal driving style.

@virkdoc do keep us posted...this is a learning experience!

Last edited by Mohnish : 20th August 2009 at 23:22.
Old 20th August 2009, 23:28   #512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohnish View Post
I have experienced black smoke without a noticeable loss of power in a Mercedes Benz 1984 240D, hence my suggestion.
He said white and black smoke

Have you checked the radiator is there any loss of coolant or any oily deposit ?
If yes it could it be head gasket

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-gasket-2.html
Old 21st August 2009, 08:51   #513
Senior - BHPian

Engine Malfunction issue!!

Hi Happy wheels & Raj(my old pal),

My ASC did not give me the opportunity to reach the M&M contacts to get this resolved. All on their own!
I went to the ASC day before yesterday and gifted the 5 service personnel involved 5 Timex watches for which the M&M pals were present.
The service staff were more than delighted, to say the least!!

Happy Motoring!
Old 21st August 2009, 09:31   #514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Hi Happy wheels & Raj(my old pal),

My ASC did not give me the opportunity to reach the M&M contacts to get this resolved. All on their own!
I went to the ASC day before yesterday and gifted the 5 service personnel involved 5 Timex watches for which the M&M pals were present.
The service staff were more than delighted, to say the least!!

Happy Motoring!
hello surya, good to hear that!

also, it was a great gesture from your side to gift them watches as this would give them some morale boost! they totally deserve it.

this is what happens when we receive something we totally do not expect. we go out of the way to please them!
Old 21st August 2009, 17:27   #515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I wonder why M&M havent arrested this type of basic irritant...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohnish View Post
Possibly the quality of plastic used...also, I wonder how many people really go back to the A.S.S. and complain of a mild rattle. It probably is one of the lesser evils M&M are dealing with!!!...
On second thoughts and considering as Raj pointed out, this probably is not a universal problem and could be specific to some RVMs. Hence, not "corrected" at manufacture stage. Any how, its an easy DIY and in no way a damper on a superb vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
He said white and black smoke...
Which led me to doubt the diesel pump. Timing out / interittent rich or lean mixtures.

Quote:
Have you checked the radiator is there any loss of coolant or any oily deposit ?
If yes it could it be head gasket...
Shouldn't the engine then overheat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by virkdoc View Post
Is it somehow possible that you got water ingress into your fuel? Again the contaminated fuel thing option. I ask as these days there has been rain...

Last edited by Mohnish : 21st August 2009 at 17:37.
Old 21st August 2009, 19:38   #516

@raj_5004: Thank you for your help - I got this checked and it seems that the clutch pedal return spring was not changed last time. I getting this done now.

@ Mohnish: Thank you for your help. I am getting the retun spring replaced with a new one. Clutch plate and some associated parts were changed last time - I'll confirm to you the details of 'other' parts - pardon my ignorance please. On issue no#2 - I had done wheel alignment & balancing twice - let me give it one more shot.
Old 22nd August 2009, 11:19   #517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kl14 View Post
@raj_5004:... clutch pedal return spring was not changed last time. I getting this done now.

@ Mohnish: Thank you for your help. I am getting the retun spring replaced with a new one.....
I think that would help. Btw the A.S.S. had mentioned to me that they had to regularly change the return spring as it would sqeak.
Old 22nd August 2009, 11:46   #518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kl14 View Post
@raj_5004: Thank you for your help - I got this checked and it seems that the clutch pedal return spring was not changed last time. I getting this done now.
typically mahindra!

i hope this solves the issue buddy.
Old 27th August 2009, 19:59   #519
Distinguished - BHPian

My Scorpio is due for its first service (the four month / 5000 km whichever is earlier period is over). It has covered some 1250 kms till date. There is no problem at all of any kind till date.
What all checks can I be advised to get done?
Is an engine oil change necessary as it has not yet done the recommended 5000 kms ?
Any other valid point to note from fellow Scorpio owners?
Old 28th August 2009, 23:28   #520
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
My Scorpio is due for its first service (the four month / 5000 km whichever is earlier period is over). It has covered some 1250 kms till date. There is no problem at all of any kind till date.
Fantastic. Congratulations - your scorp passed the first 1000 klick litmus test. Just like the first 100 kms is the litmus test for the Safari, the first 1000 it is for the Scorpio and the first 100,000 it is for the Innova.

Quote:
Is an engine oil change necessary as it has not yet done the recommended 5000 kms ?
Any other valid point to note from fellow Scorpio owners?
Follow the service manual to the T. Go ahead and change the engine oil - it IS recommended by stalwarts at T-BHP in any case. However, I did not do it and I was not too hassled with it - am not driving a Ferrari - red lining at every instance for god sakes.

Valid point: Make sure you stand next to your car and guard it like an eagle would guard its babies.
Old 28th August 2009, 23:35   #521
Distinguished - BHPian

Battery Caution Light ON after start - vanishes on extreme revving!

So let me cut to the chase. Come 10,000 kms and the Scorpio decides she's had enough of being goody two shoes and decides to play truant to my fill it, shut it, forget it life.

Observation:
1. Switch on car
2. Battery light comes on (as usual)
3. Start car
4. Battery light stays on.
5. Rev car to about 2000 rpm - battery light goes off (indicating charging).
6. Battery light comes on ever so faintly - a flicker if you will as you drop your rpm range when you drive.

What do you reckon could be the issue? The RPM levels are perfectly normal. Something to do with the Alternator? What, exactly? I have only seen instances where the alternator does not charge at all and the battery light remains lit up all throughout.

Am heading for my second service on Sunday. Just want to get on top of this before I get there.
Old 28th August 2009, 23:49   #522
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My Scorpio is due for its first service
Ask to check and tighten all nuts and bolts - chassis, suspension, engine and gearbox mountings.

An oil change afte the first 1.5k km is good for the engine in any case. Do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
6. Battery light comes on ever so faintly - a flicker if you will as you drop your rpm range when you drive.

What do you reckon could be the issue?
Most likely to be a loose terminal wire - either field or ground terminal. Else the regulator of the alternator is due for replacement.

Warranty should cover it.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 28th August 2009 at 23:53.
Old 29th August 2009, 17:13   #523
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ask to check and tighten all nuts and bolts - chassis, suspension, engine and gearbox mountings.

An oil change afte the first 1.5k km is good for the engine in any case. Do it.
Thanks SS Traveller

Quote:
So let me cut to the chase. Come 10,000 kms and the Scorpio decides she's had enough of being goody two shoes and decides to play truant to my fill it, shut it, forget it life.

Observation:
1. Switch on car
2. Battery light comes on (as usual)
3. Start car
4. Battery light stays on.
5. Rev car to about 2000 rpm - battery light goes off (indicating charging).

What do you reckon could be the issue? The RPM levels are perfectly normal. Something to do with the Alternator? What, exactly? I have only seen instances where the alternator does not charge at all and the battery light remains lit up all throughout.

Am heading for my second service on Sunday. Just want to get on top of this before I get there.
Quote:
Fantastic. Congratulations - your scorp passed the first 1000 klick litmus test. Just like the first 100 kms is the litmus test for the Safari, the first 1000 it is for the Scorpio and the first 100,000 it is for the Innova.

Follow the service manual to the T. Go ahead and change the engine oil - it IS recommended by stalwarts at T-BHP in any case. However, I did not do it and I was not too hassled with it - am not driving a Ferrari - red lining at every instance for god sakes.

Valid point: Make sure you stand next to your car and guard it like an eagle would guard its babies.
Thanks Red Liner valuable advice.Can stick to every point of yours but not to the most important of them all- "guarding the car like an eagle." Thats because my taking off from work at this moment is tough.Next the dealer is closed on Sundays. So it will be a service like any other average user and not a teambhpian or a Red Liner!!
Your alternator problems may be due to something getting loosened somewhere during the 10,000kms . Wish you a Happy Servicing and Happy Driving till the 3rd and final Free Service.
But I really envy you as you are able to watch your car during the
servicing !
Do post about the servicing done tommorow!

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 29th August 2009 at 17:20.
Old 29th August 2009, 22:41   #524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If you have a multimeter ( buy it if you don't have just 120 Rs these days ) check teh alternator voltage while vehicle is idling. Or get them checked at some battery shop before going to ASC.
If alternator voltage is OK then It is faulty battery which is not retaining charge fully both are costly items so try getting them replaced under warranty rather then repair of alternator.
IMHO this kind of problem can not be due to contacts being dirty or loose.
Just my hypothesis do post the actual cause and resolution.
Old 30th August 2009, 15:08   #525
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If you have a multimeter ( buy it if you don't have just 120 Rs these days ) check teh alternator voltage while vehicle is idling. Or get them checked at some battery shop before going to ASC.
If alternator voltage is OK then It is faulty battery which is not retaining charge fully both are costly items so try getting them replaced under warranty rather then repair of alternator.
IMHO this kind of problem can not be due to contacts being dirty or loose.
Just my hypothesis do post the actual cause and resolution.
The charge from the alternator when idling drops to about 13 point something and raises to 14 point something on revving. So it is an alternator issue. Here we go.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks