Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2009, 00:53   #481
BHPian

Hi guys,

I met HVkumar and Guderian today (very nice people) and they checked out my scorpio. Just one thing has me a little worried. On removing the dipstick (while the car was running), there was some smoke coming out of the dipstick vent. The car acceleration and power is fine, no overheating issues either. On reading stuff on the net, I came across a few posts stating this could be a sign of a 'blow by' or a leaking head gasket. Has someone else experienced this and what's the diagnosis. Will be giving the car to the ASC on monday for a check-up
Old 2nd August 2009, 21:56   #482
Senior - BHPian

If you've a oil slick in your radiator water/coolant, then it has to be the gasket...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekharlele View Post
Hi guys,

I met HVkumar and Guderian today (very nice people) and they checked out my scorpio. Just one thing has me a little worried. On removing the dipstick (while the car was running), there was some smoke coming out of the dipstick vent. The car acceleration and power is fine, no overheating issues either. On reading stuff on the net, I came across a few posts stating this could be a sign of a 'blow by' or a leaking head gasket. Has someone else experienced this and what's the diagnosis. Will be giving the car to the ASC on monday for a check-up
Old 3rd August 2009, 18:14   #483

I had purchased a Mahindra Scorpio VLS from G3 Motors, Nerul, Navi Mumbai on the 12th of June. I took the vehicle delivery with a defective starter motor. However, the same got rectified with a new starter motor on the next day by the dealership. ever since, my vehicle has been in and out of the G3 workshop on a weekly basis. The vehicle has hardly done 1200 kms. ( Mind you i got the vehicle delivered with the odo meter clocking 306 kms). that means i have not even run the vehicle for 1000 kms.

Last three weeks its been a harrowing experience with my NEW SCORPIO. After paying close to 10 lakhs for the new M Hawk Machine, it is proving to be a DUD Machine. The clutch of the vehicle has failed for the 5th time yesterday. This is despite the fact that each time it went to the dealership they had assured me that the problem has been sorted out completely. The last time it went to the workshop was on 28th June and i got the vehicle delivered to me at my house on 29th with a promise that the problem has been identified and rectified. But, to my dismay, the clutch gave up last night with my family in the car and stranded for help. It took almost an hour to gather my thoughts and get the damn vehicle moving and reach home.

I tried complaining to Mahindra and their response was someone will call me from the service dept. No one called me till now and i do not expect them to call me as well. The dealer ship people are on a high horse. They are least bothered about after sales and once the vehicle is sold their responsibility is over it this specific attitude piss me off. Fortunately, i understand the vehicle better than their service engineers. ( I am a test driver with one of the best known automotive companies in India).

I must also talk about some of the few good men in the dealership. They are genuine and wants to get my vehicle rectified. But they are not the one who are getting the vehicle done; so their knowledge about the mechanical parts of the vehicle is almost nil.
Old 4th August 2009, 11:09   #484
BHPian

How did you get a VLS when it was discontinued in Feb after launch of The fresh Scorpio. Your VLS might be a 2008 model just check.
Old 4th August 2009, 22:22   #485
Senior - BHPian

@ shankarcv: buddy, what kiren said is right. how did you manage to get a discontinued model? did you volunatarily accept the older model? if yes, then it maybe a lemon or may have been lying idle in the stockyard for months.

whatever be the case, demand replacement. dont leave them like this. as far as i have heard, mahindra A.S.S is poor but their customer service helpline is good. try your luck...
Old 5th August 2009, 08:27   #486
BHPian

ShankarCV - talk to the higher ups, seems like a lemon to me. 5 times isnt a joke , in fact its surprising you havent flipped out yet.

While going through the Test Drive of the Scorpio on this forum , I found something that I couldnt understand. 'The automatic does come with a winter start feature (second gear start) which is rather pointless in the Indian context.'

What is this thing?
Old 5th August 2009, 08:35   #487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi-san View Post
'The automatic does come with a winter start feature (second gear start) which is rather pointless in the Indian context.'

What is this thing?
I'd like to know too!
Whatever it is, I would not call it pointless. Right across the Himalayas, where a lot of Scorpios do duty, temperatures are well below zero during the winter months.
Old 5th August 2009, 09:32   #488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
@ shankarcv: buddy, what kiren said is right. how did you manage to get a discontinued model? did you volunatarily accept the older model? if yes, then it maybe a lemon or may have been lying idle in the stockyard for months.

whatever be the case, demand replacement. dont leave them like this. as far as i have heard, mahindra A.S.S is poor but their customer service helpline is good. try your luck...
Hi Raj,
Helpline is good?
I am happy for you if you have had such a good experience with them.
Old 14th August 2009, 19:57   #489
BHPian

Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
...1...after a loud knock and jerk finally moved...
Do you engage the handbrake overnight? If yes, try not engaing the hand brake over night. Sometimes the hand brake liner "sticks" to the drum. If you find it to be the hand brake, ask the A.S.S. to clean the liner and drum. Also, the problem may go away after the rains.

Quote:
...2. when I apply brakes to slow down there is a squeaking sound...
Normal with new / freshly cleaned liners and drums. Does it go away after driving a while? If no them ask A.S.S. to look into it. Hope its not your drums getting cut.

Quote:
...3. Sometimes there is a mysterious sound like a hoow or a whistle...
Does this happen with AC on and not with AC off? If yes, A.S.S. should check the AC expansion valve. If no, then is it related to engine rpm? More details required for diagnosis.

All the best.

Last edited by Mohnish : 14th August 2009 at 19:59.
Old 14th August 2009, 20:04   #490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi-san View Post
...'The automatic does come with a winter start feature (second gear start) which is rather pointless in the Indian context.'

What is this thing?
The vehicle starts out in 2nd gear thereby reducing torque at the wheels so that you don;t wheel spin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
I'd like to know too!
Whatever it is, I would not call it pointless. Right across the Himalayas, where a lot of Scorpios do duty, temperatures are well below zero during the winter months.
Agreed Anup. Additionally, this vehicle is also currently exported and further intended for the U.S. Also, the Auto box is an Australian (now Chinese) company manufactured unit and it very possibly comes standard with this feature as its used in many other vehicles.

Hope that helped
Old 18th August 2009, 13:55   #491
BHPian

Hi guys I have a scorpio CRDE Auust 2005, it was doing fantastic duty till now, but suddenly the average has dropped down to 8-9 kmpl, it belches white and black smoke, other than that there is no loss in power or anything else wrong with it, it has done 81,000kms......any advice?? when I accelerate hard the smoke is maximum
Old 18th August 2009, 17:01   #492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohnish View Post
...Do you engage the handbrake overnight? If yes, try not engaing the hand brake over night. Sometimes the hand brake liner "sticks" to the drum. If you find it to be the hand brake, ask the A.S.S. to clean the liner and drum. Also, the problem may go away after the rains......
Hey Manish,

First of all thanks for a detailed reply.

yes I do engage the hand break whenever I park. However it hasn't happened for a while now.

I gave my car for 3rd free service and the *** cleaned the brakes after which the squeak went away. However it started again when I went for a drive out of town. So I had them clean it again. It's been a day .....so far so good!

The hooting soound comes only when the Ac is on. I'll have them check the A/C expansion valve.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 20th February 2019 at 19:05. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 18th August 2009, 21:22   #493
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virkdoc View Post
...suddenly the average has dropped down to 8-9 kmpl, it belches white and black smoke, other than that there is no loss in power or anything else wrong with it, it has done 81,000kms......any advice?? when I accelerate hard the smoke is maximum
EGR valve choking has occurred. A visit to your service centre should set things right pretty quickly.
Old 19th August 2009, 13:03   #494
Senior - BHPian

Engine Malfunction issue!!

Hi

I am extremely happy to write this mail about the “Exceptional Customer Service” from M&M dealer at Hyderabad- AML!!

On the eve of Independence day, my VLX refused to start in the evening with Engine Malfunction bulb coming on in the panel. This was due to some gizmo work which was attempted and must have triggered the ECU immobilizer lock function. I called up the technical Engineer of ASC,Sandeep and he guided me to check if it is an accidentally activated immobilizer function. With that not working, I was asked to wait for helpline vehicle to come and tow my car to workshop. Sandeep also informed that since it was around 9pm the car can only be returned on Monday, i.e 17th Aug, as it was a labour holiday for 15th Aug.
I had some plans for weekend for which I have been waiting for sometime and needed the car very much! I then called up he ASC's DGM-Service, Mr.ShantiKumar and he assured me that he will try to have my car returned to me on the same night

My car was picked up at around 10pm and was towed to Jeedimetla workshop. Sandeep who was at home then reached Jeedimetla workshop(which is quite a distance!) and have done the necessary corrections to ECU/error codes. Sandeep then came at 1am on 15th August and delivered my car along with Mr.Chandrasekhar(helpline mechanic) and Mr.Venkatesh(helpline driver)!! They infact, wished me a HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY!! Truly!!

That was a truly DELIGHTFUL CUSTOMER SERVICE experience!! I could not appreciate them more.

I thought I would share this with the group to take care while working on any gadgets/gizmo's for our rides!!

Last edited by getsurya : 19th August 2009 at 13:05.
Old 19th August 2009, 15:02   #495
Senior - BHPian

@ getsurya: thats truly exceptional!!! something not expected from mahindra. i remember you have some good contacts in mahindra. so did you need to use them in such a situation or even we can avail of such a good service?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks