Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2009, 14:27   #451
BHPian

Thanks, will keep you posted
Old 27th July 2009, 14:52   #452
BHPian

Hi,

Can I get ski racks fitted after-market since my scorp does not have them. Will there be issues of water leakage etc. after doing it, also any indication of what it might cost?
Old 27th July 2009, 14:58   #453
BHPian

Hi All,

I have been a silent spectator of this thread for sometime now. Just found time today to post my 2 Cents.
I own a 2003 Model Non CRDE, Gear Drive (SZ2600 Plus) Scorpio, Done just 60,000 Kms.
I use it only to drive it to the hills, because I always prefer Sedans to drive in Delhi.
My Scarpio has been to Leh, Lahaul Spiti, Jalori Pass a few times. I have not faced any problems with starting or anything else at all.

I have not even got the Injectors Cleaned till now. I use the paper Air Filter.

The Following major repairs have been done on my Scorpio

1. Brake Booster & Master Cylender Changed under warranty in the 2nd Year. (There was aparently a manufacturing defect.

2. Both the Clutch Cylenders were changed by my Local Mechanic ( I trust him more than the ***). I go to *** for service etc, or when i need to change some things like rupper hose pipes etc because they won't be easily available in the market.

3. Power Window of the Driver Seat failed recently.

About a month ago a thought occurred to me, that this is an old Scorpio and maybe I should sell nd buy the new MHawk. I was at the Bhasin Motors (***) in New Delhi. I am pretty friendly with the Local Service Advisors, they have seen pictures of this scorpio in 3 feet of snow. I asked them if I should upgrade to the Mhawk. What they told me (Privately) is that the NON CRDE Chain Drive scorpio is the best. They told me that it's the easiest , most troublefree and the cheapest to maintain of all the models.
Their view was that the CRDE was introduced because of the Tighter Pollution Norms.

I know this because the NON CRDE will never pass a new age pollution test in the proper way. I pay Rs 100 for a PUC without any test just before I am going out of town.

I have myself driven the CRDE Scorpios, and have not found any difference in power. Infact I somehow feel that my NON CRDE Scorpio has better power at the low end.

The Only Issue with the scorpio are the small little niggles that keep happening. The biggest thing against a Scorpio is the quality of service at the ASCs.

I have decided that I will keep my existing Scorpio, and if i ever feel I need a new vehicle, I will buy a Toyota Innova. A new Scorpio, and the same pathetic ASCs does not go down well with me.

Styler
Old 27th July 2009, 15:16   #454
BHPian

Hi Styler,

Welcome to the thread (and the forum). Stay here for some super advise from old scorpio hands like Anupji and Kumarji......and some novice questions from the likes of me.
Old 27th July 2009, 16:47   #455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekharlele View Post
Hi Styler,

Welcome to the thread (and the forum). Stay here for some super advise from old scorpio hands like Anupji and Kumarji......and some novice questions from the likes of me.
Hey thanks, Shekhar.
I've already said nearly everything that Styler has mentioned. It's almost like a vindication of what I said earlier.
Styler, you're spot on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Far more reliable over a long term of even callous usage.
Far better low end torque. Truly gives the feeling of 'tractable diesel engine'!

Will certainly give a lower total cost of ownership. When you consider there is not such a frightful difference in power, kinda makes it a very attractive proposition.

So what is causing all the grief? Emissions! That's the only reason that CRDe had to be brought in!

For somewhat old world people like myself, I'd take the non-CRDe anyday! So there!
Quote:
Mostly in the mind, Raj! Do drive each one back to back and see for yourself! Only minor differences.
I'm frankly not too impressed with paper specifications.
Quote:
Of course I know! In fact I explained the 'birth' of the M2DI in an earlier post. Taxi drivers in the hills were simply not buying the CRDe!!
If a 4WD option is offered in non-CRDe Scorpio now, I'd go for it! The M2DI is a little tooooooooo much, LOL! But if reliability and 'getting the job done' are the ONLY requirements, nothing can beat it!
Quote:
Shekhar, M&M service is quite pathetic. They seldom do all that is required and also suffer from the problem of very large attrition rate amongst their mechanics and service advisors!

The service centres are totally over burdened now with the Logans and Xylos also being handled by the same facilities!
Very shoddy!

The success that M&M has enjoyed might well turn out to be short lived if they do not get their act together.
Heck, I advise everyone against buying a Scorpio if the requirement is for a standard 2WD vehicle. The Innova is the best one around. It is my opinion that one should only look at a Scorpio or a Safari if 4WD is required.
Old 27th July 2009, 21:02   #456
BHPian

Hi Guys,

The good news is that the blower started working fine after the resistor was changed. Cost me 650 bucks. The bad news is that the weird noise is still coming from the leftmost vent.

The sump guard bolt has actually broken mid-way, so it is a full one day fitter job. I have currently got the sump guard attached with a wire in the place where the bolt was.

Also, I spoke to a guy called Umesh from M&M. I was enquiring about the car's service history and these guys have the records irrespective from where the servicing has happened. He told me all services were carried out as due except the 1st and 3rd service. I asked him if that would create a problem with the warranty and he said no, the warranty is still on. Now, do you people feel I need to get this in writing? The reason I ask is the manual mentions the warranty is applicable only if all services are completed as per schedule.
Old 28th July 2009, 10:00   #457
BHPian

*Bump* Please help.....worried about the warranty
Old 28th July 2009, 10:10   #458
Senior - BHPian

as per my knowledge, the warranty would be void.

umesh wont take the chances by giving it in writing. better contact the mahindra helpline.
Old 28th July 2009, 12:00   #459
BHPian

I tried that Raj, helpline is not even aware of any such warranty. Now my question is, while the records of the 1st and 3rd service are not available, all other service records are fine although some services have been done at a slightly longer interval than recommended.

But, no work has been done on the car outside of ASC. Now, my point is, since the warranty is on the engine, differential and gearbox:

1. How likely is it to get a failure on any of these components in the next 13 months? (assuming I give it for one more service since the last service has been done in June)

2. Can Mahindra void the warranty of the car even though they have changed the oil seperator under warranty in 17/08/2007 and all services after that are fine.

3. Whom do I speak to in M&M to address this issue?
Old 28th July 2009, 15:07   #460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Kumarji,

........ So, then I will just buy the JK Elanzo for the front and transfer my 'good' elanzo's to the rear.

Please go for another alternative to Elanzo, they did not work for me, lasted hardly 35 K Kms. I've changed over to Yohos, they're great.

I know Yokos may be more expensive, in the range of 5700 to 6000, but worth the monye, I'd strongly advise you to go for it as safety and concenience are costly. As HVK said, you can go through this thread to read on experiences......

Team-BHP - The Definitive Indian Car Community

I feel this thread shoul be re-worded to "overrated tyre"

=======
Old 28th July 2009, 20:15   #461
BHPian

Hi Ram,

The alternatives are expensive. But I can still afford 2 of them. Is it OK if I have 2 of yoko on the front and elanzo's on the rear?
Old 28th July 2009, 20:46   #462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Ram,

The alternatives are expensive. But I can still afford 2 of them. Is it OK if I have 2 of yoko on the front and elanzo's on the rear?
That is a bad idea since the tyres have completely different handling characteristics.

Recently, I was forced to switch temporarily to having Bridgestone ATs in the rear and Bridgestone HTs in the front, and the road behaviour was not pleasing. Suggest you change over all 4 to same type/ brand.
Old 28th July 2009, 20:49   #463
Senior - BHPian

few days back while driving my scorp, i felt a small shudder in the brake pedal while braking slowly. it lasted for just half a second. a similar incident happened yesterday too. today also, it happened followed by the 'ABS malfunction' light continously glowing. BUT, when i switched off the car & re-started it, the light went off & never came back.
what could be the cause?
Old 28th July 2009, 21:15   #464
Senior - BHPian

Prima facie it appears to me that there is a malfunction in the brake-boosters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
few days back while driving my scorp, i felt a small shudder in the brake pedal while braking slowly. it lasted for just half a second. a similar incident happened yesterday too. today also, it happened followed by the 'ABS malfunction' light continously glowing. BUT, when i switched off the car & re-started it, the light went off & never came back.
what could be the cause?
Old 28th July 2009, 21:26   #465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Shekhar, to answer your question, let me say, you may use different brands of tyres front and rear on your Scorpio.
Technically there is no major hazard or issue. You will not be compromising on 'safety' as many might imply!
These gentlemen are talking about 'handling', 'thrill' etc. If you are willing to forego these, you can go ahead with purchase of just a pair of tyres if that is what suits you currently.

I hope yours is not a 4WD ....

Last edited by anupmathur : 28th July 2009 at 21:27.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks