Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2017, 12:15   #4321
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Motor and tank is common with the front wiper spray system. Only a capillary goes to the back with an obvious drop in pressure. Rear system not working then check whether the capillary has come off. Park the vehicle. Start engine. Check for enough water in the tank. Press the lever by pulling and look for spillage under the rearpart / tailgate door.

Scorpio clutch is a two stage system get is readjusted at the ASC first.
Old 24th June 2017, 09:19   #4322
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Having a weird problem with my '13 Scorpio. Fuel gauge seems to come down to zero at random!
There is most likely a loose connection, either at the float or in the dashboard. Have that checked, it should resolve it.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2017, 10:02   #4323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel5915 View Post
So here's an update on my clutch issue.
Although the clutch pedal and box assembly was replaced but the clutch noise came back again slowly but surely.
At first I thought that it might be something psychological but then wife also told me the same thing.
What kind of noise is it? Are you refering to the change in engine noise when the clutch is pressed? Or is there a gentle squeaking sound when pressing or depressing the clutch?

That bolt might have broke cause they would have tighten it too much.
Old 24th June 2017, 10:20   #4324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
What kind of noise is it? Are you refering to the change in engine noise when the clutch is pressed? Or is there a gentle squeaking sound when pressing or depressing the clutch?

That bolt might have broke cause they would have tighten it too much.
It's not squeaking but rather a low frequency grinding sound.

Anyway yesterday I took it to Shiva Mahindra in Sahibabad for first service and also to get the noise checked again (noise had come back).
Mahindra representative and engineer were also there.
They got the slave cylinder inspected and found nothing wrong there.
After the servicing the clutch is very smooth and quiet but I don't how long will that last.

I drove one other Scorpio that was there and found no sound or roughness of the clutch.
I think the roughness might be due to some air in the hydraulic line of the clutch.
The noise, however, remains inexplicable.
Old 24th June 2017, 11:40   #4325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel5915 View Post
It's not squeaking but rather a low frequency grinding sound.
Where do you feel the sound coming from? Where do you think the judder is, Clutch pedal or engine?
I would suggest you to complete the run in period first, a lot of sounds, squeaks, and little judders will settle down on their own, its also called the self healing capabilities of a car.

I believe that bolt broke because it was tightened too much. They can make more stupid mistakes like that.

I also was skepticle about few sounds coming from my brand new car, I too had clutch related queries, which were:
1. Change in engine noise(a distinct clatter) and vibration when the clutch is fully pressed.
Ans: natural behavior of the mHawk engine, engine clatter(which were specially present at the first cold start of the day) also faded as the kilometers piled up.

2. Felt light vibrations in clutch paddle when car was new.
Ans: it eased down with the usage.

3. There was a short period of time when the clutch pedal would make a light squeaking sound sometimes and particularly while upshifting to 3rd or downshifting from 3rd, moreover it was next to impossible to reproduce the sound during inspection. My trusted FNG mech suggested it could be related to clutch plate. But since the car was in warranty and only about 6 months new, I went with my gut feeling that nothing is wrong with my car and its just a temporary issues that could be because of wet roads during monsoon season as some part could have got wet and moisture might be the culprit. Turned out that I was right, and the sound went away after a while.

After you have completed the run in period, I would also suggest you to practice the italian tune-up method once in a while to keep components running smoothly. But do that with caution.

Last winter there was a squeaking sound coming from the steering column, and it went away with the winters, maybe my car caught a cold. It could have been because my usage had dropped drastically from about 19k kms in the first 10 months to just 6k in the next 10.

A lot of components, parts and other things eventually settle down with use. Atleast give your car 6 months of time and some 5000 Kms to prove itself. You have already got a lot of parts replaced, now give it some time.

Since your car would be in warranty for atleast the next couple of years, I would not advise you to let them service guy toy with your still brand new car.

We all think too much and pay more than needed attention when the car is brand new its a natural tendency with the enthusiasts I believe.

Last edited by Aditya : 8th August 2017 at 08:41. Reason: Typo
wrongturn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2017, 12:42   #4326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
Since your car would be in warranty for atleast the next couple of years, I would not advice you to let them service guy toy with your still brand new car.
We all think too much and pay more than needed attention when the car is brand new its a natural tendency with the enthusiasts I believe.
Thanks for your advice and description of your experience.
The noise is from the clutch while depressing and not from the engine.

I was getting skeptical because of the breakdown.
Had it not broken down I would have left it like that and believed the service guys.

Will see how it goes for the next 5k.
Old 24th June 2017, 15:19   #4327
BHPian

Since there are a lot of experts here I want to take your views on an issue faced by Non-CRDE Scorpios in high altitude. I have faced this a few times including a trip to Himachal last week. I have discussed with HV Kumar who has driven a similar model for over 5 lac kms now and he tells me he has faced the same issue too.

At high altitude (Over 2200mtrs places like Kalpa, Spiti, Leh) after a decent drive when you turn the key and remove it to switch the engine off, it wont stop and will keep on running at a lower rpm and different lower kind of sound. Then what HVK and I generally do is turn into 5th Gear and release the clutch to stop the engine. The strange thing is that it happens only in High altitude, and the moment you come down it will begin to switch off normally.

This behavior is also a sign of a Turbo leaking oil and this caused my Engine Runaway and damage in Jan 2016 so I was very worried when this happened in Kalpa in June 2016 during my Spiti Trip. I took the Scorpio to a mechanic in Peo and he discussed it with my mechanic here and checked the Turbo for oil leak. There was no leak so I continued on to Spiti and completed the trip. The difference in behavior between before my engine runaway and this time was that before the engine runaway this would happen even in Delhi. Now it is happening only at high altitude and the engine shuts down normally when we come to lower than 2000 mtrs altitude.

Another thing that I have noticed is that this did not happen during the Leh Trips before my engine runaway and rebuild. In my Scorpio it started happening during my trips to high altitude after my engine Rebuild. The diesel pump, injectors were serviced during the engine rebuild and the solenoid switch was replaced before the engine runaway because we thought that might be causing the engine to not stall at that time.

Any ideas ?

Styler

Last edited by Styler : 24th June 2017 at 15:24.
Styler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2017, 17:07   #4328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Since there are a lot of experts here I want to take your views on an issue faced by Non-CRDE Scorpios in high altitude. I have faced this a few times including a trip to Himachal last week. I have discussed with HV Kumar who has driven a similar model for over 5 lac kms now and he tells me he has faced the same issue too.
At high altitude (Over 2200mtrs places like Kalpa, Spiti, Leh) after a decent drive when you turn ....Any ideas ?
Styler
Thank you Styler for this very useful post, particularly for other users of elderly Scorpios. I have not driven to high altitudes - (Kausani, 1890 m and Mukteshwar, 2171 m is about the max, tho' these are regular trips) - but I shall certainly be observant henceforth. I too look forward to inputs from others on the forum.
Shashanka
Old 26th June 2017, 15:11   #4329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
At high altitude (Over 2200mtrs places like Kalpa, Spiti, Leh) after a decent drive when you turn the key and remove it to switch the engine off, it wont stop and will keep on running at a lower rpm and different lower kind of sound. Then what HVK and I generally do is turn into 5th Gear and release the clutch to stop the engine. The strange thing is that it happens only in High altitude, and the moment you come down it will begin to switch off normally.
Styler
In rarefied atmosphere with fuel-air ration higher, the engine may get hot enough for fuel to ignite on its own. As older direct ignition engines were all mechanical they could run on their own if the inside of the combustion chamber was hot enough. That is why many trucks had an opening in one cylinder which would be activated mechanically to stop the engine.

http://www.flashoffroad.com/Diesel/F...n/shutdown.htm
https://mercedessource.com/problems/...the-key-turned
https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/a...ion-switch-off
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2017, 15:29   #4330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
In rarefied atmosphere with fuel-air ration higher, the engine may get hot enough for fuel to ignite on its own. As older direct ignition engines were all mechanical they could run on their own if the inside of the combustion chamber was hot enough. That is why many trucks had an opening in one cylinder which would be activated mechanically to stop the engine.

http://www.flashoffroad.com/Diesel/F...n/shutdown.htm
https://mercedessource.com/problems/...the-key-turned
https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/a...ion-switch-off
With one of the articles above talking about vacum being used to stall the engine, it came to mind that at the time of engine rebuild the vacuum pipe to the EGR valve has been disconnected as the EGR Valve has causing a problem. Could this be connected to the issue ?
Old 7th August 2017, 16:51   #4331
BHPian

Dear All,

I am getting ready to get 20K last free service done on my Scorpio. I wanted to get your feedback on Engine oil - Should I go for maximile (Mahindra's) or other brands ? I was thinking of SHELL SYNTHETIC, but it's very costly around 5K for 7 liters or go for normal SHELL oil which will cost around 1500 Rs

What do you guys suggest ? I had always used Synthetic oil for my Toyota Etios earlier
Old 7th August 2017, 17:43   #4332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgovencat View Post
What do you guys suggest ? I had always used Synthetic oil for my Toyota Etios earlier
Other than feeling good about it there is no discernible benefit that you will get by using full-synthetic engine oil.
anupmathur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 18:32   #4333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Other than feeling good about it there is no discernible benefit that you will get by using full-synthetic engine oil.
My understanding was that it keeps engine cleaner and also helps reduce wear and tear !!
Old 7th August 2017, 18:45   #4334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgovencat View Post
My understanding was that it keeps engine cleaner and also helps reduce wear and tear !!
Your understanding may well be correct. What I said is that any such benefit that may accrue will be so small that it will not be discernible to you. I will never argue about the feel-good factor.
anupmathur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 19:55   #4335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

At high altitude (Over 2200mtrs places like Kalpa, Spiti, Leh) after a decent drive when you turn the key and remove it to switch the engine off, it wont stop and will keep on running at a lower rpm and different lower kind of sound.
What happened if you turned the "ignition" back on?

Regards
Sutripta

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks