Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2009, 13:43   #406
BHPian

Okay, now I'm getting a little uneasy. I hope the CRDE will be trouble free at least for the next couple of years till I decide to buy a new car.

What about rallies, wow would I love to do a manali-leh workout!
Old 24th July 2009, 13:48   #407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekharlele View Post
Okay, now I'm getting a little uneasy. I hope the CRDE will be trouble free at least for the next couple of years till I decide to buy a new car.
Hey, don't get worried!
Never stalled anywhere to date!
My Scorpio has done duty almost entirely in the mountains at tough, offbeat places for almost three years now!
Old 24th July 2009, 13:56   #408
BHPian

Whew, thanks Anupji. I've been having buyers regret for the last day or so. Dunno why. I get this feeling often when I buy expensive stuff (including my latest Nintendo Wii). Just that used vehicles make so much more sense to a finance professional like me! But then, used is used, no matter how well. I just realised the AC is leaking some water in the left passenger side (front) and the sump guard has it's leftmost bolt broken.

I know for a fact that the car went for a paid service to NBS motors a month back. Why the heck can't they figure these things out? I mean my boss spent 18 K on the car, he would have definitely not had a problem spending 2 K more that time.

I have budgeted about 25 K for other knick-knacks like Seat Covers, Polishing, Tyres and minor maintenance issues. Hope that's enough. This will put the total cost of the car at 4.5 lacs. How much do you reckon I should get for this car after say 2 years?
Old 25th July 2009, 10:41   #409
BHPian

*Bump* Anupji, What are your views?
Old 25th July 2009, 10:43   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Had an issue with my Scorpio day before yesterday which left me stranded.

I've been following your posts almost from the day you bought your Scorpio. Looks to me like the gremlins are still following you around.

Cheers,
Old 25th July 2009, 11:01   #411
Senior - BHPian

Shekhar, M&M service is quite pathetic. They seldom do all that is required and also suffer from the problem of very large attrition rate amongst their mechanics and service advisors!

The service centres are totally over burdened now with the Logans and Xylos also being handled by the same facilities!
Very shoddy!

The success that M&M has enjoyed might well turn out to be short lived if they do not get their act together.
Heck, I advise everyone against buying a Scorpio if the requirement is for a standard 2WD vehicle. The Innova is the best one around. It is my opinion that one should only look at a Scorpio or a Safari if 4WD is required.

As for resale values, sorry, I am not at all in touch with that scene. My Scorpio is with me for a long haul!
Old 25th July 2009, 11:49   #412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
M&M service is quite pathetic. They seldom do all that is required and also suffer from the problem of very large attrition rate amongst their mechanics and service advisors!

The success that M&M has enjoyed might well turn out to be short lived if they do not get their act together.
Entirely agree with anupmathur. A lovely car spolit by ASCs. My only problem with the Scorpio is having to go to the ASCs. The company officials are also non-responsive and complaints lodged with them go unheard. The so-called company-owned/operated ASC in Bombay NBS International can also be classified as the worst ASC. They not only do shoddy work but also steal things from the car. The manner in which ASC work has jeopardised the safety of my Scorpio can make even Ralph Nader blush!

Read about it in
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1323352-post11.html
and
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1323465-post16.html

Last edited by hvkumar : 25th July 2009 at 12:00.
Old 25th July 2009, 12:02   #413
BHPian

Hi Kumar saab, Anupji....

Damn, these realities are making my buyers regret even worse! I've had my share of lousy experiences when I owned my Fiat Uno. Just run 27,000 Kms and had to be sold for almost scrap value only because spares and service was non existent. I certainly DON'T want to be in that situation again.

But, Mahindra is an Indian manufacturer,so does it make more sense to go to the trusted local mechanic for small niggles?

And in my particular case, the car is under warranty for Gearbox, Engine and Differential only. So, for minor stuff like bolts and srews and ac, why not go to the local mechanic?
Old 25th July 2009, 12:07   #414
Senior - BHPian

Mechanics outside ASCs can be even worse! So, in all the 4.5 years I have owned my Scorpio, I have gone only to the ASCs - at least they have the right spares and the correct tools, plus familiarity with the car. Plus, when you are under warranty, you are supposed to go only to M&M ASC.
Old 25th July 2009, 12:17   #415
Senior - BHPian

Another problem which I came across:

I had been having some minor oil leaks in the engine cover area for last year or so. On being queried, ASC promptly dismisses it as a "gasket ka problem, badli karo". I listened to this "diagnosis" for some time. Then one day I opened up the plastic cover over the engine and found all the 8 allen bolts were LOOSE! I tightened them up - thanks to Guderian - and the leaks have completely stopped. I am worried how allens came out loose - are the threads worn out, or is it because it is a periodical check and tighten routine that has not been either recommended or followed?

I have been also complaining to ASC about oil leaks around the oil separator, which they say means oil separator has to be changed - but they do not have the part perpetually. But I find that the leak is coming from the clip around the joint - but our ASC has no inclination to get it tightened, changed or cleaned up despite several sorties to the ASC - and I must say the sorties have meant that I spent Rs 1.50-1.75 per kilometer on maintenance over the lifetime of my Scorpio.

Some of the safety issues:

- They changed my accelerator wire and forgot to loop it properly, resulting it getting bruised and ending up with accelerator getting jammed in the steep mountain slopes of Bhutan, which means the car refuses to stop!

- overhauled my leaf springs and forgot to put the bushes in between, resulting in 5 leaf springs breaking simultaneously during a high-speed rive between Pune and Ahmednagar, but I managed to control and stop the car without mishap

- changing the timing belt, but not the pulleys, resulting in bearing ceasure and consequent brake/ fan failure

When I was on my North East drive in April, the nuts on the LHS of the steering balancing rod assembly completely came off - and the rod was hanging on the RHS! I checked out the underbody myself and got the ASC at Gauhati to get it fixed, they did not have the standard nuts and used non-standard ones. I came back to Bombay, they still do not have the standard fasteners - how can a company not have fasteners which cost under Rs 100 and are the most standard of parts?

My power steering tank cap is leaking, but they have neither the cap nor the tank - they say the design has changed!

My mud guard splash guards (not the mud flaps) are torn and gone, but they do not have the spares.

The list is endless!

Last edited by hvkumar : 25th July 2009 at 12:26.
Old 25th July 2009, 12:17   #416
BHPian

Sigh....I guess we have only one solution. PRAY nothing goes wrong with the car.

I am surprised that despite an almost 100% localised content, spares are not available!? Even the Safari and Indica have seen many variants, but i do not recollect having any spares issue with my Indica. Dunno about Safari, though. Let me ask you this, if you were to look at buying an Indian SUV again, would you still choose the scorpio?
Old 25th July 2009, 12:28   #417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekharlele View Post
Let me ask you this, if you were to look at buying an Indian SUV again, would you still choose the scorpio?
The Scorpio is excellent, but I would not buy it again - and that is because of the ASC service issues. I go to an ASC who has been voted the BEST by M&M year upon year - and I shudder to think of the lesser ones!
Old 25th July 2009, 12:47   #418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I go to an ASC who has been voted the BEST by M&M year upon year - and I shudder to think of the lesser ones!
HVK, I'd suggest you try the 'lesser' ASCs!
Voted the best year after year? Gosh, that's scary! Like with everything else in our great nation I'm sure great politics and sycophancy lies behind this great award!
Old 25th July 2009, 13:02   #419
BHPian

I am more and more convinced that buying a good used car is the way to go here, especially if it belongs to Indian manufacturers. Use the car for a couple of years and then take a decision if you want a new car by paying 9 odd lacs from the same stable.

I am clear now: I will use the scorpio for 2 odd years, maintaining it as required and then decide if I need a new one and that too a scorpio. The attitude of the ASC is very concerning. This probably means that M&M top the worst service in India? Or is it similar across manufacturers, give or take a few things here and there.

Also, technically speaking, can you folks advise on what parts of the engine are common between the CRDE, Non CRDE and the latest Mhawk? Which parts of the latest version are backward compatible?
Old 25th July 2009, 13:51   #420
Senior - BHPian

Shekhar, while I can understand how you are feeling, do bear in mind the almost runaway success of the Scorpio.
Further, it is worth noting that when fleet operators/taxi services pick up a vehicle, that is a very solid endorsement of the total cost of ownership!

We do tend to be rather critical but this vehicle still represents very good value for money.
I may say the Innova is the best in this segment but the cost of spares, if needed due to no fault of yours, is very high in comparison.

I'm hoping that some private garages will learn to repair the Scorpio at a much smaller cost than the authorized centres! Therein will lie the salvation for many buyers who already dread going to the unscrupulous authorized service centres.

M&M, ARE YOU LISTENING????

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks