Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2015, 16:17   #4006
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Okay people, I need some advice.

My 12 year old Non-CRDE Scorpio had an issue last week. The Brake pedal would go soft and go in randomly. A few pumps and it would brake.

Since the brake oil level had not come down at all, and there was no leakage from any of the Wheel Brake Cylinders, it was deduced that the culprit was the Master Cylinder.

Today morning I bought a new Bosch Master Cylinder from the After market. It had 3 Outlets for pipes, 2 on the side, one at the bottom and on the box was written "For SPACIO", but is the same for the old non-crde scorpio.
Got it installed from the FNG.

Total cost is as follows
Bosch Master Cylender Rs 2,000
Castrol 250ml Dot3 Brake Oil Rs 110
Labour Rs 200
Total Cost RS 2310

The brakes are working just fine.

The mechanic did not bleed the brake oil from the Wheels. He did make me pump the brake pedal after he installed the new Master cylinder though.

A thought that came to my mind is, when the 3 brake oil pipes are removed from the master cylinder and put back on the new one, will the pipes not take some air ?
Is it not necessary to bleed the air from the wheels too ?

The brakes are working fine, so I did not question the mechanic. This is just an after thought.

Styler

Last edited by Styler : 22nd April 2015 at 16:19.
Old 22nd April 2015, 19:13   #4007
BHPian

Continuing from my previous post, another thing I noticed is that when I press the Brake Pedal I get a Shhhhhh kind of sound.
The mechanic told me that this comes from the Brake Booster and is normal.
This sound was not there before replacing the Master Cylinder.
Any thoughts on this ?
Old 24th April 2015, 16:21   #4008
BHPian

Update to my previous posts about the replacement of the Master Cylender.
The Master Cylender was replaced at Rakesh Motors Gurgaon by one of their mechanic.
I had told him that there was a shhhh kind of sound coming when the Brake Pedal is pressed while idling. He said that it is the sound of the Brake Booster and is normal.
The sound wasnt coming earlier, and the brake pedal was effective much lower than I expected so I thought of going to me neighborhood mechanics Kumar and Harvinder the next morning.
They opened the Master Cylender and found that the mechanic at Rakesh Motors had put in both the Rings (Old and New) in the master cylinder when it was installed on the Brake Booster, so there was a leak.
The Master Cylinder was fitted properly by Kumar and all the sound is gone. Brake pedal is up now, and more effective.
Simple negligence causes so much problems sometimes.
All is well that ends well without going to the Authorized Service Center.

P.S Contact Details of Harvinder & Kumar are listes in the NCR Directory
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/delhi-...unj-delhi.html

Last edited by Styler : 24th April 2015 at 16:23.
Styler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2015, 14:51   #4009
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Update to my previous posts about the replacement of the Master Cylender.
Good to know your issue is resolved styler. So its not just me who gets a feeling these days that Rakesh Motors is heading south when it comes to trust. GD never believed when I said this though. Time to check your guy whenever possible.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 18th March 2019 at 14:37. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 28th April 2015, 15:55   #4010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheG2 View Post
Good to know your issue is resolved styler. So its not just me who gets a feeling these days that Rakesh Motors is heading south when it comes to trust. GD never believed when I said this though. Time to check your guy whenever possible.
The problem is Rakesh just leaves everything to novice mechanics and doesn't overlook and supervise pro-actively. He has to be prodded to look into things. I brought the noise to his notice too but he also didn't carefully check the Noise of the leak from the Brake Booster.

Styler
Old 11th May 2015, 12:10   #4011
BHPian

I did a 700KM drive recently and my Scorpio LX behaved beautifully. I have a question, when I push beyond 110 / 120 KMPH, I notice that the steering wheel and the vehicle vibrates a bit. Is this common or should I check the balancing of my wheels?
Old 11th May 2015, 12:15   #4012
Senior - BHPian

For the last 1 week or so I have noticed that the front tyres are losing rubber and I can see kind of scratch marks even after a small drive and I could see the tyre marks on the tiled floor of the parking even though the speed of the vehicle was around 10 Kmh. before parking.

Any advises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwakarmuthu View Post
I did a 700KM drive recently and my Scorpio LX behaved beautifully. I have a question, when I push beyond 110 / 120 KMPH, I notice that the steering wheel and the vehicle vibrates a bit. Is this common or should I check the balancing of my wheels?
This is common to the Scorpio and endemic to the design itself. I normally drive one handed however the moment I cross 3 digits its has to be 2 hands firmly on the steering.
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 12:15   #4013
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Diwakar,
No harm in getting it checked as it is not a common thing if the vibration is high. You may also want to check your engine mounts if your beast has run way above 50k kms.

Happy Scorping!
Old 11th May 2015, 12:43   #4014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Normally, if there is a balancing problem, vibration is from 90 - 120 kmph, and not beyond.
Old 11th May 2015, 14:52   #4015
Senior - BHPian

[quote=m_upreti;3704117]For the last 1 week or so I have noticed that the front tyres are losing rubber and I can see kind of scratch marks even after a small drive and I could see the tyre marks on the tiled floor of the parking even though the speed of the vehicle was around 10 Kmh. before parking. QUOTE]

Adding the pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-img2015051100050.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-img2015051100051.jpg  

Old 12th May 2015, 17:00   #4016
BHPian

Hi folks.
I need some urgent advise (apologies if it is already provided somewhere—I couldn't find a satisfactory answer anywhere on the forums).

I own a three year old mHawk LX 4WD. It has done nearly 30000km and has been a fantastic vehicle with just very minor issues so far.

Yesterday, while cruising on the highway at a moderate speed of 60 I had to stop rather quickly because a trucker decided to take a u-turn ahead of me. Nothing dangerous but afterwards I noticed that the engine check light had turned on. I pulled over on the side lane, turned the engine off and started it again. The light remained so I drove sedately and reached home without any problem. The characteristics of the engine had hardly changed except this annoying light remaining on all the time.

Since I have to soon go for an outstation trip, I decided to get this checked this morning at Koncept auto in sector 2, Noida. They informed me that their software has been corrupted and advised me to go to their sector 66 ASS. At that place when they diagnosed the issue it was found that the turbocharger is not activating on start which is causing this issue (there is a small lever that gets depressed automatically when the engine starts—there seems to be some oil on the suction cup below it and they claimed that the oil has seeped into the turbocharger and it will need to be replaced at a cost of 40000 + labour. I pushed the little lever down with my finger while the engine was running and noticed that the lever remained depressed thereon but the 'check engine' light remained on. I asked them how come it didn't turn off. The mechanic said that it will be reset once the new component is in, and, he said, the fault cannot be fixed on this turbocharger since they do not repair these crucial parts. My vehicle is out of warranty (the extended warranty scheme was not available when I bought it) so I have to bear such costs.

My questions are: (1) is this a common problem and should it happen so early in life of a scorpio (i.e., are the ASS guys trying to make a fool of me)?, (2) can there be any other issue causing this and how that can be fixed, (3) if turbocharger does need replacement, can it be done cheaper (e.g., repair, swap from an old vehicle etc).

Although this is my second scorpio (the first was a 2wd and never gave any problem for the two years I owned it) I am rather worried by this incident. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 12th May 2015, 17:38   #4017
Senior - BHPian

Hoopoe, my advice would be that you do not fall for what the service centre guys are telling you. That sounds like a very unlikely story to me.
Since the engine is behaving normally, just keep using it for a few more days and see if any new symptoms develop.
The check engine light does come on at times and there seems to be no problem whatsoever with the engine. And it goes off by itself after a few hours or a day or two sometimes. I have experienced this a few times in my 2006 CRDe 4WD also.
anupmathur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 17:55   #4018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopoe View Post
My questions are: (1) is this a common problem and should it happen so early in life of a scorpio (i.e., are the ASS guys trying to make a fool of me)?, (2) can there be any other issue causing this and how that can be fixed, (3) if turbocharger does need replacement, can it be done cheaper (e.g., repair, swap from an old vehicle etc).
I had a similar issue on my VLX 2008, with the engine check light coming on and was "identified" to be a turbo charger issue by the A.S.S. and I was quoted 27,500.00, however since there was no impact on the vehicle performance I let it go and the light continued to be on for almost 6 months without any issues. My advise:

1. Go to a nearby mechanic and get the OBD error (the exact error on the laptop) and the code.
2. Google it, more often than not you will find some clue for the issue / I can mail you the EMS Diagnostic Manual for the Scorpio (4.5 gb pdf)

In my case the culprit were the vacuum tubes which were degraded and disconnected. I came to know of the issue when the brakes lost the vacuum pressure and I checked the tubings.

I have replaced all the vacuum tubings and the engine check light is no longer on.

Please go through this thread for detailed diy and photographs that I have posted (you will find the latest one on this page itself)

Last edited by m_upreti : 12th May 2015 at 17:57.
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 18:03   #4019
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopoe View Post
...sector 66 ASS. At that place when they diagnosed the issue it was found that the turbocharger is not activating on start which is causing this issue...
Can you share the error code that showed up on scanning?
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 19:38   #4020
BHPian

Thank you folks for quick response. Much appreciated. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur
The check engine light does come on at times and there seems to be no problem whatsoever with the engine. And it goes off by itself after a few hours or a day or two sometimes. I have experienced this a few times in my 2006 CRDe 4WD also
You reassure me Anup Ji! I will follow your advise. For the moment I will not take the car on long drive and will use another car for outstation travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti
1. Go to a nearby mechanic and get the OBD error (the exact error on the laptop) and the code.
2. Google it, more often than not you will find some clue for the issue / I can mail you the EMS Diagnostic Manual for the Scorpio (4.5 gb pdf)

In my case the culprit were the vacuum tubes which were degraded and disconnected. I came to know of the issue when the brakes lost the vacuum pressure and I checked the tubings.

I have replaced all the vacuum tubings and the engine check light is no longer on.

Please go through this thread for detailed diy and photographs that I have posted (you will find the latest one on this page itself)
Dear M, I had gone through your thread before this trouble occurred with me. I have a good mechanic in Khan Market who can help me out I think at least to sort out the vacuum leakage problem but I doubt he will have skills or equipment for working with error codes (he is an old school type and operates out of Khan market)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Can you share the error code that showed up on scanning?
I can’t remember the exact error code but I do remember it showed two errors one of which was possible water in fuel filter. Despite my repeated requests to clean that out they insisted it was this problem and said that if water was the issue the ‘water in fuel’ light would have glowed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks