Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2015, 19:12   #3961
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real_man View Post
Thanks for the feedback hvkumar, I am really inspired by the amount kms clocked by your Scorpio.

I understand that you are from Mumbai. Would you recommend a good mechanic in and around Vashi or Andheri area?

Is there any specific item that you'd recommend me to check for resolving the two specific issues that i am facing?
Connect with me over the weekend, I can talk to the mechanic who takes care of my car and find out what he has to say
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2015, 12:00   #3962
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Connect with me over the weekend, I can talk to the mechanic who takes care of my car and find out what he has to say
Quote:
HVK you are a Scorpio legend among us BHPians.

I am due for a 40K servicing (in 6.5 years ) but as you mentioned I am afraid to take it to the A.S.S. since the car is running perfectly and I don't want a rerun of issues which I faced in the 1st year of ownership. But I am unable to find a decent local garage in and around Kharghar to trust my car with.

Please advise on the below:

1. Oil Changes (engine, gear, brake)
2. Air Filter Clean / Replace
3. AC Blower resistance burnt and is not available in the market (Navi Mumbai).
4. Rear Washer not working - suspect either the motor is blown or the pipe is disconnected (I could see 1 hanging pipe behind the left indicator)
5. Suspension - Its is extremely hard and the Tie Rods, Link Rods and the Ball joints may require replacement.
Old 30th January 2015, 13:54   #3963
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks HVK,

There has been some development from my side as well. Yesterday evening I got a call from a senior advisor Global Galleria Thane he offered to pick the car (at no cost) for diagonosis. I made my point clear this time, I am not paying anything until I am convinced the problem is resolved. Today morning the car was picked up, they could recreate the Oil pressure warning unlike the ABS light issue.

Not that I am (pro) Global Galleria, I had my own share of bitter experience with them but straightened it out after escalation to Mahindra Customer care. I decided to give the vechile to them after lot of thought last night, my rationale is they need to complete their unfinished work and that there is a accountability factor.

Meanwhile I have established contact with a Senior technician (Mahindra trained). I have an option to to get the car done in a private garage under his supervision. I am sure the labour cost would half of what ASC is charging.

Lastly, I figured out that a close friend of mine has never gone to the ASC, he has a 2008 CRDE Scorpio & done 160K. He gets the car serviced by a regular mech in Khargar when we compare our anual bills, his turns out to be half of mine.
Old 30th January 2015, 18:08   #3964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lastly, I figured out that a close friend of mine has never gone to the ASC, he has a 2008 CRDE Scorpio & done 160K. He gets the car serviced by a regular mech in Khargar when we compare our anual bills, his turns out to be half of mine.
Can you get the contact details of this Mechanic in Kharghar, I would like to pay him a visit as I am staying there.
Old 30th January 2015, 21:01   #3965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So do I. Having given up on Global Gallerie 3 years ago, my Scorpio runs fine & I source parts in the open market - not easily though - and get my work done through some trusted mechanics. Had my Scorpio been M&M ASC-serviced, I doubt if it would be running today
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2015, 01:49   #3966
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Can you get the contact details of this Mechanic in Kharghar, I would like to pay him a visit as I am staying there.
Sure! I will PM you as soon as I get the number.
Real_man is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2015, 02:44   #3967
BHPian

Done 60K on our Scorpio in around about 4 years. However some issues that havn't been resolved.

Both passenger side windows not functioning (closing or opening).
Rattling (I guess its common)
Personally, I can't seem to get a smooth transition to the second gear
The Auto lock functions wheneve it wants to.

Main issue is definitely the window one
Old 31st January 2015, 11:35   #3968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartavya View Post
Done 60K on our Scorpio in around about 4 years. However some issues that havn't been resolved.

Both passenger side windows not functioning (closing or opening).
Rattling (I guess its common)
Personally, I can't seem to get a smooth transition to the second gear
The Auto lock functions wheneve it wants to.

Main issue is definitely the window one
1. Both passenger side windows not functioning (closing or opening).
a. Are you able to hear the motors running.
b. If no then the problem could be with the motors or the wiring.
c. If yes then the issue would be with the rolling mecanism which may require either greasing or replacement (costs around 1000 Rs. + 300 Rs. for fixing)
d. If you have the time open the panels and check before taking it to a mechanic, you may be able to solve the issue by cleaning the connectors / greasing the mechanism.

2. Rattling (I guess its common)

a. It is common but it can be managed, take a spanner and tighten all the nuts that you can see including the doors, seats, etc.
b. Completely pull out the glove box and expand it a bit by pull apart the sides and refit it.
c. Open all the windows (once you get the rear ones fixed ) and press down the window beadings hard.
This should take care of the general rattle. For suspension rattling you may need to visit a local mechanic.

3. Personally, I can't seem to get a smooth transition to the second gear
The Scorpio gears are hard as you already know, but have the play in the clutch adjusted, it should help it ease a bit.

4. The Auto lock functions whenever it wants to.
Whatever is said less about the Nippon system is enough, you would have to live with it. If it stops working intermittently try using the key to open and close 5-6 times in a succession, in my case it makes the car relearn the system and it works perfectly for a few months before I have to teach it to auto lock again.

Last edited by m_upreti : 31st January 2015 at 11:39.
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2015, 13:09   #3969
BHPian

Thanks m_upreti!

I am going to have a long session with it in 2-3 weeks and sort out these niggles.

The motors definitely don't run,so I will try and sort it out or just get quotes and see if its worth it.
Old 2nd February 2015, 13:25   #3970
BHPian

Quote:
So do I. Having given up on Global Gallerie 3 years ago, my Scorpio runs fine & I source parts in the open market - not easily though - and get my work done through some trusted mechanics. Had my Scorpio been M&M ASC-serviced, I doubt if it would be running today
I am getting the car back today. I am determined not to go to the Mahindra ASC again for this car. Thanks for your input.
Old 2nd February 2015, 15:11   #3971
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
I am getting the car back today. I am determined not to go to the Mahindra ASC again for this car. Thanks for your input.
Last week, I was in Goa and my clutch pedal gave in suddenly. I suspected a slave cylinder failure. M&M ASC was telephonically contacted - predictable response: No, sir, we don't have it in stock. I managed to locate a spares parts shop in Margaon which stocks M&M parts - and I visited the shop.ON asking for the SCorpio slave cylinder, he casually turned back & took out the slave cylinder - as though he was selling you a Gold Flake cigarette

How is it that a mall spares part shop in a corner of Goa - area less than 250 sq. ft - have a less-used part for a 10-year old out-of-production model when the 15,000 sq.ft. company-authorised service centre does not?

If M&M bothers to answer this Q honestly, it will go a long way....

It has also got to do with the DNA of the company - everytime I ever encounter a M&M person - like a ASC - the Q they ask is, why are you not changing your car? Looks like they want to make sure everyone buys their new cars - and to that effect, starve the customer of any spare parts that he may require
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2015, 15:28   #3972
BHPian

Quote:
Last week, I was in Goa and my clutch pedal gave in suddenly. I suspected a slave cylinder failure. M&M ASC was telephonically contacted - predictable response: No, sir, we don't have it in stock. I managed to locate a spares parts shop in Margaon which stocks M&M parts - and I visited the shop.ON asking for the SCorpio slave cylinder, he casually turned back & took out the slave cylinder - as though he was selling you a Gold Flake cigarette

How is it that a mall spares part shop in a corner of Goa - area less than 250 sq. ft - have a less-used part for a 10-year old out-of-production model when the 15,000 sq.ft. company-authorised service centre does not?

It has also got to do with the DNA of the company - everytime I ever encounter a M&M person - like a ASC - the Q they ask is, why are you not changing your car? Looks like they want to make sure everyone buys their new cars - and to that effect, starve the customer of any spare parts that he may require
at the end of the day it boils down to the revenue earned $$ irrespective of how its earned. The trick of the trade is by introducing obsolescence.
Old 2nd February 2015, 15:35   #3973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
at the end of the day it boils down to the revenue earned $$ irrespective of how its earned. The trick of the trade is by introducing obsolescence.
Well said
For an Indian company that prides itself on its technological prowess, it is indeed the tilting factor why they have lost out to all the newbies in the same product segment. They don't get it right the first time - given the poor quality when it comes out of the plant, mess up with a poor after-sales network & worsen it by not bothering to serve their loyal customers - quite a business case study in insolence & path to oblivion
Old 2nd February 2015, 16:50   #3974
BHPian

HVK Sir

It is sad that this is the attitude of the ASCs and they are almost rude to the customers owning old vehicles.

On the other hand, I have made some friends in the ASCs here in Delhi and in places like Leh, and privately the mechanics have told me that I should keep my 10 year old NON-CRDE scorpio as it is the best model ever.

When I ask for their personal advice if I should replace my car with a new model they tell me in their personal capacity that this is the best model for people like us who drive to really far away places. No-ECU, trouble free, and more over one person pointed to me that your 11 year old Scorpio does not have a spot of rust whereas 3-5 year old newer models are getting rusted.
He told me that the Metal sheets used in the original models were much heavier and of thicker gauge than the current models.

I also follow the strategy of sourcing spares in the open market and going to the FNG. Recently I saw that there is a really reasonable priced Korean sourced Clutch Plate and pressure plate available at Rakesh Motors, Gurgoan.

I managed to find the original TURBO 2.6 DX stickers in the after market last week after all the Service Centers told me it is not available.

Now whenever the ASCs call me that my Scorpio is due for service, I tell them a list of parts which are not available, and tell them I will come for service when you have all these parts in stock. They never get back to me.

Styler

Quote:

Quote:
Old 2nd February 2015, 17:13   #3975
BHPian

Nice to read through the experiences of non-crde owners. Mine is a 5 year old mhawk and am already working on fixing rust in a couple of places irrespective of how good you maintain the car.

One additional observation is that finding a neighborhood mechanic to service the Scorp is next to impossible. Even if you find one, sourcing for spares is another big headache.

Over the last decade, I have owned 2 cars and never had a good experience with the ASC's. Guess we are at their mercy and they are taking advantage of this

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks