Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2014, 17:20   #3871
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Every 50-60,000 kms, depending on wear and age, the suspension components need change - tie rod ends, bushes, link rods, etc. There is nothing like a one-time change. If you have leaf springs, do the leaf overhaul once very 40-50,000 kms depending on whether the vehicle "sits down" or not.
Thanks Kumar, i have the coil springs version - 2010 model. As of now, it is running smooth. My understanding was there might be complete change of the kit.
Old 4th October 2014, 09:44   #3872
Senior - BHPian

Last few days I am feeling a change in the driving behaviour of the car. There is a lot of feedback from the wheels to the steering. Till some time back I was driving with a single light hand on the steering, couple of days back while driving over a rough stretch of the road the car fishtailed wildly twice and it took an effort to bring it under control.

Next day I tried on the newly paved concretised highway which is not all too smooth to drive, the behaviour is the same and every small bump, pit on the road is being transmitted to the steering.

Currently I am maintaining a tight grip on the steering and trying to use both hands, but before I have this looked at the garage, wanted to know if some one has faced this issue / what could be the issue.
Old 4th October 2014, 10:32   #3873
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Last few days I am feeling a change in the driving behaviour of the car. There is a lot of feedback from the wheels to the steering. Till some time back I was driving with a single light hand on the steering, couple of days back while driving over a rough stretch of the road the car fishtailed wildly twice and it took an effort to bring it under control.

Next day I tried on the newly paved concretised highway which is not all too smooth to drive, the behaviour is the same and every small bump, pit on the road is being transmitted to the steering.

Currently I am maintaining a tight grip on the steering and trying to use both hands, but before I have this looked at the garage, wanted to know if some one has faced this issue / what could be the issue.
1. Check wheel alignment

2. Check tyre pressure

3. Check tie rod ends

4. Check link rods

5. Check steering stabiliser arm bushes

6. Check steering column
hvkumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2014, 11:20   #3874
BHPian

Hi

Does anybody have the address of a reliable Mico-Bosh Diesel Service Center in Delhi NCR where I can get the Injectors of my Non-CRDE Scorpio cleaned ?

My Scorpio is running fine, just that it has a little high and uneven rps on idling. Since it has done 1.2 lac kms I was advised that it will be a good idea to get the Injectors serviced.

Styler
Old 4th October 2014, 13:40   #3875
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Check wheel alignment

2. Check tyre pressure

3. Check tie rod ends

4. Check link rods

5. Check steering stabiliser arm bushes

6. Check steering column
Thanks HVK.

1. Wheel alignment was checked 2 weeks back - Fine
2. Tyre Pressure is correct

Will get the other 3 things checked on priority
Old 5th October 2014, 16:08   #3876
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Does anybody have the address of a reliable Mico-Bosh Diesel Service Center in Delhi NCR where I can get the Injectors of my Non-CRDE Scorpio cleaned ?
Did you try Rakesh's place? He also knows people in and around who are worth recommending.

Else, slightly after Rakesh, after the Force Motors showroom, there is a lane turning left which leads to a Bosch Car Care centre owned by a friend Devender. You can try him too. Both these places are good and VFM.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2014, 21:27   #3877
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Simple. The sensor connected to gear box must have come off. Any mechanic can fix it.
You got it spot on HVK, the wire housing was damaged and the yellow wire was cut and the black one was hanging by thread, red one was still ok, as the entire cable was hanging on the under body, I remember pointing this out to the A.S.S. almost a year back but was told it is the way it is.

So first did the non recommended thing of jacking up the car and getting under, realised how risky it was so immediately came out and removed the jack and slid under again (with my frame I still had plenty of space), used a cutter to open the wire housing and connected the wires and taped it firmly and tightened the cable by pulling it up on the cable retainer.

The Speedo and odo are up and running, thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by axlerod View Post
The bottle is inside the fender cavity. The flexible pipe where you fill the water shall lead you to it.
Tried reaching the motors but it seems that it is embedded pretty deep in the fender cavity, tried but gave up as the under body is thickly coated with mud and the screws and plugs are too tight. Will try again after getting the underbody pressure washed.

Last edited by m_upreti : 5th October 2014 at 21:29.
Old 10th October 2014, 18:19   #3878
BHPian

For those who like to solve issues themselves.
Here follows a description of how to remove / replace / adjust the headlamp height adjustment motor on the scorpio.

Attachment 1297465

This is the light unit we are dealing with today.

Attachment 1297466

This is the height adjustment motor. I am pointing out the plastic screw which can be used to adjust the height manually.

Attachment 1297467

To remove the height adjustment motor, simply twist it counter clockwise.

Attachment 1297468

Pull outwards to remove.

Attachment 1297469

For reinstalling the motor, anchor the floating reflector (Here I am doing it with my left thumb, pulling it towards me). The peg of the adjustment motor has to slide into the groove on the floating reflector. This has to be done taking the peg in a downward motion. Once the peg is in the groove then the motor just needs to be twisted clockwise to lock in place.
axlerod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2014, 14:24   #3879
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For those who like to solve issues themselves.
Thanks axlerod, need guidance on replacing the rear washer motor.
Old 12th October 2014, 00:05   #3880
BHPian

Request guidance from experts on the cause of kat kat noise from steering on turning end to end. The noise is such as if some motor is trying to turn the steering further but facing resistance. Since there is no motor in a hydraulic setup, what can be the cause? It comes only when the steering is at its extreme end and also when driven at dead speed in this position. This is a 2007 CRDE Scorpio done 86K.
Old 12th October 2014, 00:10   #3881
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderNomad View Post
Request guidance from experts on the cause of kat kat noise from steering on turning end to end. The noise is such as if some motor is trying to turn the steering further but facing resistance. Since there is no motor in a hydraulic setup, what can be the cause? It comes only when the steering is at its extreme end and also when driven at dead speed in this position. This is a 2007 CRDE Scorpio done 86K.
There is a stopper with a rubber pad that is meant to stop the steering. When the rubber wears out, the metal-to-metal causes noise, but that is only once when the steering reaches the end of its play.
Old 12th October 2014, 00:47   #3882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Thanks axlerod, need guidance on replacing the rear washer motor.
Sir!!! Leaving tomorrow for Bombay. Allow me to get back (Friday probably) and I shall try and post the whole procedure with photographs!!!
axlerod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2014, 12:08   #3883
Senior - BHPian

Current status of issues:

1. Speedometer and Odometer not working - Resolved, DIY, thanks to HVK. The connecting wires on the sensor were cut, went under the car, re-joined and taped the wires.

Quote:
Simple. The sensor connected to gear box must have come off
2. Engine check Light - DIY, with some inputs from a local mechanic who pointed out the error could be due to the connection of the turbo sensors since there was no impact on the performance of the car, but he was not wiling to touch it, so last Sunday at home:
a. Removed the engine cover and unplugged all the connectors (to ensure I did not miss the right one)
b. Cleaned the connections using a sandpaper and reconnected
c. The engine check light refused to go.
d. Unplugged the battery and left it for 30 mts.
e. Reconnected the battery.
f. Eureka, the light is gone and hasn't come back on for the last 1 week

3. AC Blower not working (resister burnt, got it checked at a local garage, they did not have a replacement) - No option but to visit the A.S.S. as soon as I get time, till then driving with all windows open.

4. Rear washer not working - The motor is gone, I checked it by swapping the connections for the front and rear motor. Will wait for detailed instructions from axlerod to open the panels and replace. I am not in a hurry, since I have lived through the monsoons without that, few more days will not make a difference.

Quote:
Sir!!! Leaving tomorrow for Bombay. Allow me to get back (Friday probably) and I shall try and post the whole procedure with photographs!!!
5. Steering / Tyre Play - Non issue, checked using axlerods 'home remedy' & HVK's pointers. The roads on which I currently drive are almost non existent thanks to the metro work and the famous Mumbai monsoon. The potholes big enough to swallow a Nano and patching, re-patching, with tar and paver blocks coupled with the movement of very heavy vehicles (60 footers, huge cranes, bull dozers etc.) have rendered the drive almost impossible. So I have limited my speeds to 30-40 KmH, or less on these patches and am maintaining a tighter grip on the steering.

Quote:
Here is a 'home remedy' to check if your tie rod ends really are past their prime
1) Engine should NOT be running and steering should be centred - done
2) Slightly work the steering wheel in both directions. There should be NO play - No Play
3) If you encounter play then pop the hood and inspect the steering linkage (a black rod having a rubber link in between) - Still checked this
4) If the play is NOT because of this rod's rubber having worn away then your tie rod ends are bad - The rubber is worn away, but there is no play
5) However if the play is because of the steering linkage rod's rubber being bad then use your hand to work the steering linkage beyond the rubber bush. There should be NO play here - Could not find any play
Quote:
1. Check wheel alignment - No issues
2. Check tyre pressure - No issues
3. Check tie rod ends - These need to be replaced as per Mahindra First Choice, but as usual they do not stock parts, so on hold till I visit the A.S.S
4. Check link rods - These need to be replaced as per Mahindra First Choice, but as usual they do not stock parts, so on hold till I visit the A.S.S
5. Check steering stabiliser arm bushes - No issues
6. Check steering column - No issues

Last edited by m_upreti : 12th October 2014 at 12:17.
Old 12th October 2014, 19:07   #3884
BHPian

Folks, my Scorpio CRDe, upon starting, is revving on its own. And by revving I mean the rpm is increasing and decreasing on its own, as though there is a human foot controlling the accelerator pedal. I thought it might go after it moves for a few feet. Then the car stopped and refused to start. After about 10 minutes it starts again and the routine continues. What could be the issue?

I'm gonna tow it on a flatbed to my trusty mechanic. He sent a person to my doorstep and that guy had a look. He said there might be an issue with the turbo. I however don't think it's am issue with the turbo because the car was running fine just the previous night. No loss of power whatsoever. The mahindra guys say it might be because of contaminated diesel. I did fill diesel in a bunk and thus problem started after that refill.

Please help. Totally confused and tensed.
Old 12th October 2014, 22:19   #3885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_Octane View Post
Folks, my Scorpio CRDe, upon starting, is revving on its own. And by revving I mean the rpm is increasing and decreasing on its own, as though there is a human foot controlling the accelerator pedal. I thought it might go after it moves for a few feet. Then the car stopped and refused to start. After about 10 minutes it starts again and the routine continues. What could be the issue?

I'm gonna tow it on a flatbed to my trusty mechanic. He sent a person to my doorstep and that guy had a look. He said there might be an issue with the turbo. I however don't think it's am issue with the turbo because the car was running fine just the previous night. No loss of power whatsoever. The mahindra guys say it might be because of contaminated diesel. I did fill diesel in a bunk and thus problem started after that refill.

Please help. Totally confused and tensed.
Looks like choked injectors?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks