Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2014, 16:14   #3841
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer4x4 View Post
Thanks, SST. Yes, the sound is indeed similar. In the track, the sound starts quite loud and then goes down. My noise is similar to the lower pitched noise. So, am I looking at konked vacuum modulators?:banghead:
If the noise is only limited to the lower pitched sound (a distant 'hum') then it might not be a problem after all. If you're not experiencing any of the adverse symptoms of a failing EGR mentioned above, then there might be no need to get the whole thing replaced.
You can take your SUV about it's business for some days even with the noise, if there is a problem, the only adverse part shall be excessive emissions. Drive in the low rev band and the need for the EGR shall be reduced, hence counteracting the problem.
I've heard this distinct hum in one Scorpio since forever (she's done about 50,000 kms). It only happens on occasion and under certain driving conditions.
The best way to tackle this would be to scan the ECM. If there is a problem with the EGR then it registers an error in the ECM which can then be tackled accordingly. As the service guys to whip out their laptop and voila!!!
Old 28th August 2014, 10:10   #3842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by axlerod View Post
If the noise is only limited to the lower pitched sound (a distant 'hum') then it might not be a problem after all. If you're not experiencing any of the adverse symptoms of a failing EGR mentioned above, then there might be no need to get the whole thing replaced.
You can take your SUV about it's business for some days even with the noise, if there is a problem, the only adverse part shall be excessive emissions. Drive in the low rev band and the need for the EGR shall be reduced, hence counteracting the problem.
Thanks, axlerod. The noise does not appear under city driving conditions and I am not seeing other symptoms. But, I'll still get this checked. Will update the forum about this further.
Old 10th September 2014, 22:31   #3843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
.....That is vacuum modulator noise. Both the modulators sit just under the air filter box.
Bingo, SST. You were absolutely correct. The vacuum modulator was faulty and it hit me with a INR 2k strike.
Also got the car serviced with all oils and filters change and got the front wheel hubs greased. Total bill came out to ~15k.
Sometimes with the Scorpio you do get the feel of owning a Merc or a Beemer without owning one, with such bills.:banghead:
wanderer4x4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2014, 07:54   #3844
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The vacuum modulator was faulty...
Which one? The one controlling the turbo, or the one for the EGR?
Old 11th September 2014, 09:42   #3845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Which one? The one controlling the turbo, or the one for the EGR?
That I did not ask, but its the one with two vacuum release outlets, sitting just below the air intake hose.
Another question. After the front hub greasing yesterday, I am hearing some noise while going over rough patches. The mechs had checked and given the suspension a thumbs up. So, don't know from where the noise is coming. Any pointers?
Old 11th September 2014, 10:01   #3846
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...I am hearing some noise while going over rough patches.
...don't know from where the noise is coming. Any pointers?
Ask mechs to recheck tightness of hub-retaining bolts immediately.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2014, 10:52   #3847
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by axlerod View Post
Can try one thing, a little bit of WD40 in-between the channel gap. Sprayed once up and down all the dimensions of the channel seems to work wonders for problems like this. Temporarily though. Have had the same problem in extreme cold weather in Leh. However a can of WD40 did the job and upon return to the plains everything worked out fine again.
Seems to be some problem with the winder since the motor is working fine, the winder was replaced one year back at a local garage, supposed to be OEM but I have my doubts now.

My woes with getting air in the car continue, first the window and now the blower also has failed, seems to be the capacitor has gone kaput (it was not working in position 3 for last few months).

The list for post monsoon servicing is growing with the following items in my list:

1. 40K Km. Servicing and related oil and other replacements.
2. Check up of the entire suspension since there are hardly any roads left in the area where I live and work due to the monsoons and Metro Rail work going on.
3. Engine check light - Some loose turbo sensor wire, though there is no compromise on the performance of the vehicle
4. Blower Capacitor
5. Window winder

Anything, else the gurus would like to suggest since this car is going to be with me for at least one more year, till I decide on going for the refurbished Scorpio or a Fortuner.
Old 18th September 2014, 12:22   #3848
Senior - BHPian

Had a rather mixed experience with the Mahindra First Choice Servicing today.

Started with a call on Saturday, where the lady on call told me that they have an offer for servicing (mechanical & electrical) at Rs. 899.00 which included:

1. Complete checkup of mechanicals and electricals
2. Exterior shampoo and wash
3. Interiors vacuuming.
4. Top of oils / coolents etc. up to 200 ml.

Since I already had plans to get the car serviced post monsoons, I decided to take a bite and told them to ask someone from the outlet to call me:

I got a call and I listed some issues which I was having and asked a confirmation that if I came over I would be able to get the following resolved / parts replaced if required:

1. Engine Check light
2. AC blower not working
3. Driver side window winder not working

I was promised that by Wednesday the parts would be available and I could come over on Thursday.

This morning I went over (a detour of 3 kms. from my usual route to the office) and was pleasantly surprised by the quick response from the reception to the Service Advisors and group of technicians (3) who quickly checked all the vitals (lights, wipers, oil etc., etc.) and then we were off to a test ride where nothing unusual was detected and the car ran fine.

Back to the Service Center, I am given an estimation of Rs. 10 k odd which does not includes the above issues mentioned by me, this includes:

1. Engine oil & filter change
2. Decarbonisation
3. Brake cleaning
4. Clutch adjust
5. Air filter change
6. Servicing

First thing I notice is the servicing which instead of Rs. 899.00 is mentioned as Rs. 1000.00 minor but enough to raise my eye brows.

What about the issues I pointed (additionally I had mentioned that the rear washer was not working).

I get the answer, we will check and see what is wrong. Surprisingly I had already done the diagnosis and advised in advance and waited for 3 days for the parts to arrive.

1. AC Blower - Resistor gone, I checked it behind the glove compartment it smells burnt) - Not Available
2. Window Winder - The Winder is broken (I had opened the door panel, the pulley is broken) - Not Available
3. Engine Check Light - Loose Turbo sensor wire
4. Rear Washer - Motor gone - Not available.

So I decide to forgo the servicing all together after wasting 2 hours and take the appointment from the A.S.S. for next week. Despite this I will be meeting my friendly local mechanic Sonu on Sat / Sun and see how many things he can resolve and probably save my trip to the A.S.S.

Will I recommend a Multi Brand Servicing Outlet to any one - NO - NEVER

My Advise: Go to the A.S.S. till the warranty lasts & then find yourself a reliable local garage / mechanic
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2014, 13:43   #3849

Hi All, I've a 2012 Scorpio SLE. For the last one week, the AC does not seem to be working. The blower fan works but there is no cool air, just the normal warm air is blown. I thougt the Coolant / Gas needs to be filled and took it to the A.S.S at Guindy today. The SA told me that there is enough Gas, but the AC is leaking at three four places. He says it would cost around 3.5K to fix. I told him vehicle is under extended warranty, still he says the bill will be 3.5K as all these will not be covered in the warranty. Can you please help.
Old 18th September 2014, 15:43   #3850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags Rocks View Post
Hi All, I've a 2012 Scorpio SLE. For the last one week, the AC does not seem to be working. The blower fan works but there is no cool air, just the normal warm air is blown. I thougt the Coolant / Gas needs to be filled and took it to the A.S.S at Guindy today. The SA told me that there is enough Gas, but the AC is leaking at three four places. He says it would cost around 3.5K to fix. I told him vehicle is under extended warranty, still he says the bill will be 3.5K as all these will not be covered in the warranty. Can you please help.
If there is enough Gas then what is leaking?

Go through the extended warranty conditions / exclusions in detail. I will check my documents as I had also taken the extended warranty for my Scorpio.
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2014, 15:54   #3851
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Strange. If its leaking, how come there is 'enough gas'? And if its leaking, it should be covered under warranty. My suggestion: Check the fuse for the AC. Mostly it would be near the positive terminal of the battery housed in a small fuse box. One end of the fuse would be clamped on the positive battery terminal.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2014, 11:30   #3852
Senior - BHPian

Can the gurus throw light on the following OBD II code from Scorpio mHawk
no one is able to diagnose the issue, the engine check light is on:

658 Boost Pressure Control. Regulation no plausible
Old 23rd September 2014, 10:03   #3853

Thanks a lot for the info m_upreti and saket77.

I did throw these facts at the ASS and they changed the SA for my car. It seems the AC Evaporator has gone kaput and it was changed under warranty.

This whole exercise has removed all the gas inside the A/C unit and it was refilled for 2300 (including labour and all taxes).
Old 23rd September 2014, 11:18   #3854
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the info m_upreti and saket77.

I did throw these facts at the ASS and they changed the SA for my car. It seems the AC Evaporator has gone kaput and it was changed under warranty.

This whole exercise has removed all the gas inside the A/C unit and it was refilled for 2300 (including labour and all taxes).
Again goes to prove that you cannot trust the SA's, for me every visit to the A.S.S. originally ended in shouting (by me) and escalation to the A.S.S. top management and M&M till I found a SA who is intelligent enough to understand things. Now I only talk to him and unless he is available I do no venture to the A.S.S.
Old 23rd September 2014, 11:28   #3855
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
658 Boost Pressure Control. Regulation no plausible
Get your turbocharger checked at a competent garage. It looks like it is an error related to the boost/lack of it being produced by the turbo.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks