Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2014, 21:30   #3826
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
The clutch slave issue still persists. Our company had purchased two Scorpios on 4th February 2014. VLX in 2WD and one had a clutch failure around 10 days ago and another had one, today. Both are near the 30,000kms mark.
Thought to update this. The earlier car had indeed a clutch failure issue, but the one about which I reported yesterday, a screw/nut had fallen off/sheared causing loss of some oil. That part was replaced & it was back to work (with top up of that specific oil). Some solace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
The clutch slave failure issue has been there in Scorpios since 2009. I own a Non-Crde Scorpio which has been reliable apart from the small niggles.
Old 25th August 2014, 01:53   #3827
BHPian

Dear Wanderer4x4
First off, the humming noise that you are referring to is (strictly layman's terms) one of the electrically driven components that do the job behind the scenes to keep everything working fine. The humming noise is not going to be just happening in the conditions that you describe. It could happen when, for example, the engine is left idling for too long with the A/C on and then shut off without any driving. Exact identification of the particular module making the noise would be difficult without description of the conditions when the sound is coming. However, needless to say that this is pretty routine and is nothing to worry about for sure. To put peace to mind, I recall a discussion that I was having with an engineer involved quite some time back, about installation of an electrically driven pre charge pump for building up the oil pressure upon cold starting and hence avoiding the hideous clatter that this particular engine produces in that condition till the mechanical pump builds pressure.

As for the motor, I think that the problem that you're facing is with the bearings. The motor, along with it's complete housing can be unshipped and then if you want to go the alternative way, then you can remove the motor from the entire assembly and then get the old bearings extracted and replaced. However, for a peace of mind job I would suggest you to get a new assembly as it would avert any untoward niggles.
Old 25th August 2014, 03:31   #3828
Senior - BHPian

The worst part of a Scorpio is that new noises - squeaks, rattles, clatters & clicking sounds spring up from various parts of the vehicle suddenly at regular intervals. And it is supposed to be my dream vehicle as I am reminded by the voice assist every morning!
Old 25th August 2014, 08:41   #3829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer4x4 View Post
I have two strange issues with my 60K run Scorpio M Hawk VLX 4WD.

1) Of late I have been noticing that there is this strange humming, buzzing sort of noise coming from the area highlighted in the image below. It emanates after the vehicle has run for around 50-60 kms and is audible after the engine is switched off. With the engine running, the noise can not be heard. The noise stays on for sometime even after ignition is turned off and key is removed and goes off on its own after around 5-10 mins. The noise and vibration can be felt in the MAF sensor hose and the air intake. But, the driving character and feel of the vehicle is as it is and I don't feel anything amiss. Can someone please point me to the right cause?
Attachment 1277838
Image Source: Internet

2) There is this gut gut type of noise coming from the AC blower motor when it is run. The MASS identified it as bushings gone bad in the motor shaft. As per the AC technician, there are two bushes, top and bottom, at the end of the shaft and they need replacement. But, ASC does not repair blower motors and I was advised to get the entire blower motor assembly replaced for around Rs 6.5K. Can someone throw some light whether the bushes can be replaced outside?
Quote:
Originally Posted by axlerod View Post
Dear Wanderer4x4
First off, the humming noise that you are referring to is (strictly layman's terms) one of the electrically driven components that do the job behind the scenes to keep everything working fine. The humming noise is not going to be just happening in the conditions that you describe. It could happen when, for example, the engine is left idling for too long with the A/C on and then shut off without any driving. Exact identification of the particular module making the noise would be difficult without description of the conditions when the sound is coming. However, needless to say that this is pretty routine and is nothing to worry about for sure. To put peace to mind, I recall a discussion that I was having with an engineer involved quite some time back, about installation of an electrically driven pre charge pump for building up the oil pressure upon cold starting and hence avoiding the hideous clatter that this particular engine produces in that condition till the mechanical pump builds pressure.

As for the motor, I think that the problem that you're facing is with the bearings. The motor, along with it's complete housing can be unshipped and then if you want to go the alternative way, then you can remove the motor from the entire assembly and then get the old bearings extracted and replaced. However, for a peace of mind job I would suggest you to get a new assembly as it would avert any untoward niggles.
If you are sure it is not coming after the engine is off, then it can be the air filter. Any hole or gap in the air filter intakes can cause whistling, humming noises too.

Otherwise, humming noises can also be attributed to wheel bearings
Old 25th August 2014, 10:01   #3830
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1) Of late I have been noticing that there is this strange humming, buzzing sort of noise coming from the area highlighted in the image below. It emanates after the vehicle has run for around 50-60 kms and is audible after the engine is switched off.
Problem with the turbo/EGR vacuum modulator(s). Need(s) replacement.

Quote:
Can someone throw some light whether the bushes can be replaced outside?
Yes. Or simply lubricating the bushes will also remove the noise and extend life of the motor for some time.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 10:11   #3831
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by axlerod View Post
Dear Wanderer4x4
First off, the humming noise that you are referring to is (strictly layman's terms) one of the electrically driven components that do the job behind the scenes to keep everything working fine. The humming noise is not going to be just happening in the conditions that you describe. It could happen when, for example, the engine is left idling for too long with the A/C on and then shut off without any driving. Exact identification of the particular module making the noise would be difficult without description of the conditions when the sound is coming. However, needless to say that this is pretty routine and is nothing to worry about for sure.
My car is absolutely bone stock, and does not have any extra electrical accessories.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
If you are sure it is not coming after the engine is off, then it can be the air filter. Any hole or gap in the air filter intakes can cause whistling, humming noises too.

Otherwise, humming noises can also be attributed to wheel bearings
The noise stays on even after the engine is turned off. It comes on only after the vehicle has run for sometime in highway conditions i.e, for 50-60 kms in 60+kmph speed. The noise is not like the bearing wheel humming, its kind of a buzzing sound somewhat similar to the noise made by electrical transformers. One can feel the vibration on the hose marked in my previous post. The noise is not audible when the engine is running and goes off on its own after 5-10 mins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Problem with the turbo/EGR vacuum modulator(s)..........
Had there been problems with these, wouldn't have I faced power loss or pick up issues? The vehicle does not show any such symptoms.
But, if indeed I need to get something like this done, can you point out how much I would get hit with financially?

Last edited by wanderer4x4 : 25th August 2014 at 10:27.
Old 25th August 2014, 12:15   #3832
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Had there been problems with these, wouldn't have I faced power loss or pick up issues? The vehicle does not show any such symptoms.
But, if indeed I need to get something like this done, can you point out how much I would get hit with financially?
Not in the initial stages.

~2-2.5k for each modulator at MASS. ~1.5k at FNG.

The noise is from the modulator solenoid.
Old 25th August 2014, 13:19   #3833
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My car is absolutely bone stock, and does not have any extra electrical accessories.

The noise stays on even after the engine is turned off. It comes on only after the vehicle has run for sometime in highway conditions i.e, for 50-60 kms in 60+kmph speed. The noise is not like the bearing wheel humming, its kind of a buzzing sound somewhat similar to the noise made by electrical transformers. One can feel the vibration on the hose marked in my previous post. The noise is not audible when the engine is running and goes off on its own after 5-10 mins.
Could it be a leak in the cooling system hoses? Noise of steam?
I have faced such a problem before because of a small leak in the cooling system - gaskets, hose clip area - which is audible after the engine is switched off
Old 25th August 2014, 15:37   #3834
BHPian

Quote:

The components we're addressing are stock too. Tell me, is there any reduction in mileage? Any change in appearance of exhaust smoke (darker? bluish grey?)
Noise stays on even after you've turned off the key all the way and taken it out? After a few seconds when it's done, it just shuts off on it's own?

On an perpendicular subject though, Isn't the VLX 4WD Stock just fully functional and appropriate? I've kept mine like this too. Don't miss anything!
Old 25th August 2014, 15:42   #3835
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...strange humming, buzzing sort of noise...
Just to confirm - can you listen to the soundtrack at the link and say if the noise is similar?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0T...it?usp=sharing

Listen at 0:57 for the noise to start...

That is vacuum modulator noise. Both the modulators sit just under the air filter box.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 25th August 2014 at 15:45.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 16:11   #3836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Just to confirm - can you listen to the soundtrack at the link and say if the noise is similar?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0T...it?usp=sharing

Listen at 0:57 for the noise to start...

That is vacuum modulator noise. Both the modulators sit just under the air filter box.
Thanks, SST. Yes, the sound is indeed similar. In the track, the sound starts quite loud and then goes down. My noise is similar to the lower pitched noise. So, am I looking at konked vacuum modulators?:banghead:
I'll be able to take the car to ASC only after about 10 - 12 days. Hope it won't aggravate the issue. During last service I was not able to replicate the noise even after driving for some distance with the SA.
BTW, for my understanding can you throw some light on the genesis of this problem in the Scorpio and how does the noise emanate even with engine shut off for 5-10 mins? Does it inflict all of them after certain kms or its a one off case?
Old 25th August 2014, 17:35   #3837
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...after about 10 - 12 days. Hope it won't aggravate the issue. During last service I was not able to replicate the noise even after driving for some distance with the SA.
BTW, for my understanding can you throw some light on the genesis of this problem in the Scorpio and how does the noise emanate even with engine shut off for 5-10 mins? Does it inflict all of them after certain kms or its a one off case?
The noise is due to vacuum leak from the modulator.

You might find the turbo not kicking in in a gradual manner, the car might feel heavy or suddenly feel very powered-up, might have tailpipe smoke on acceleration, and/or fuel economy might go down.

Let the service guys listen to the noise recording, they'll know.
Old 26th August 2014, 12:20   #3838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
The worst part of a Scorpio is that new noises - squeaks, rattles, clatters & clicking sounds spring up from various parts of the vehicle suddenly at regular intervals. And it is supposed to be my dream vehicle as I am reminded by the voice assist every morning!
Add to it the frequent failures of the electrical & electronics.

For last 3 weeks I can't roll up the drivers side window. The motor is fine and the winder seems fine (I opened the door panel and checked) but the window just goes down and does not come and has to be pulled up and fixed in place by hands. Not getting time to go to even the local garage to get this checked.
Old 27th August 2014, 00:04   #3839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Add to it the frequent failures of the electrical & electronics.

For last 3 weeks I can't roll up the drivers side window. The motor is fine and the winder seems fine (I opened the door panel and checked) but the window just goes down and does not come and has to be pulled up and fixed in place by hands. Not getting time to go to even the local garage to get this checked.
Can try one thing, a little bit of WD40 in-between the channel gap. Sprayed once up and down all the dimensions of the channel seems to work wonders for problems like this. Temporarily though. Have had the same problem in extreme cold weather in Leh. However a can of WD40 did the job and upon return to the plains everything worked out fine again. Worth a try.

Note from Support: Please do not type excessively dotty posts. Thanks!
axlerod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 09:16   #3840
Senior - BHPian

Among the list of bad experiences listed above I failed to list the worst when the centre balance bolt broke! It was some real trouble and the vehicle had got stranded.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks