Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2014, 10:16   #3736
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
While driving with window in up position and not particular to bad roads.
my two cents:
in my Xylo also, sometimes on the driver side- when the glass is fully rolled-up, it makes a squeaking or tuk-tak noise. I just try rolling down & then up, to ensure that glass is fully 'locked'. I believe its something the uneven gap in the rubber beading that holds glass. It automatically goes off. I have used few times WD40 within the beed inner lining to make the glass roll smoothly. The better spray should ideally be silicon based, to keep the rubber soft !
pcpranav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2014, 11:16   #3737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPVEN View Post
Dear Friends,

My SLX 2008 model has crossed 1,00,000 km.For some time now, there is a screeching / squeaking noise when AC is turned on . This is only for a short while, after which it subsides. This is always the case when starting after parking for a few hours.
Mahindra service says it is the Compressor pulley bearing, for which the total shaft assembly has to be replaced.
Anybody who has had this problem, and tackled it successfully ?

Rgds,

Venu
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
The compressor pulley bearing will have to be replaced. And associated parts in the compressor only, it wil be certain only once they open and inspect the compressor.
My opinion of Mahindra service has come down a notch. The Service Centre informed that the Compressor pulley assembly will have to be replaced, as the bearing replacement cannot be done. Approx cost-7000/-.
I had my old mechanic check the problem, and immediately on hearing the sound, he stated that the problem was due to the Idler Pulley bearing , which can be replaced. 2 hours and the problem was solved. Total cost -580/-

Venu
Old 28th May 2014, 10:19   #3738
BHPian

Over the last week, I experienced two unique issues with my car (Scorpio mHawk LX BS IV):

1. After doing a 15kms stretch, I put the vehicle in neutral with the engine running and stepped out to clear something out of the way in the parking lot. When I tried to move the car after getting in, I noticed that the gear didn't shift as required. It gave a grunt that you get when you shift the gear without flooring the clutch. I checked if there was a fluid leak or any other leak but none I could figure out. I then noticed that the clutch is pressed halfway and it was stuck. Using my hand, I floored the clutch and with the gear in neutral and pressed it multiple times but it was back to normal. So I parked the car and tried it the next day morning and all was fine. As a precautionary measure, I took it to the service center and they checked all fluid levels, took it for a test drive and confirmed all parameters are working fine. What could be the reason?

2. Yesterday morning (26th May), I drove another 13 kms and while coming back, I parked nearby a shop. When I came back, I noticed that the car wouldn't start. I doubted the battery as it is due for a change. I called the road side assistance. The road side assistance arrived after an hour. When we went to check the car, the car ignited in a single crank. We checked the battery and everything was fine. The mechanic indicated that the battery has started to bloat on the sides and it is better that I go for a change. I plan to do it over the weekend. Could a weak battery behave like this?

I took the car to the service center and asked them do a test drive and a complete check. All the checks were right in front of me and the car absolutely behaved fine. Surprising. Any thoughts

Appreciate your opinions or comments
Old 28th May 2014, 10:51   #3739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwakarmuthu View Post
Over the last week, I experienced two unique issues with my car (Scorpio mHawk LX BS IV):

1. After doing a 15kms stretch, I put the vehicle in neutral with the engine running and stepped out to clear something out of the way in the parking lot. When I tried to move the car after getting in, I noticed that the gear didn't shift as required. It gave a grunt that you get when you shift the gear without flooring the clutch. I checked if there was a fluid leak or any other leak but none I could figure out. I then noticed that the clutch is pressed halfway and it was stuck. Using my hand, I floored the clutch and with the gear in neutral and pressed it multiple times but it was back to normal. So I parked the car and tried it the next day morning and all was fine. As a precautionary measure, I took it to the service center and they checked all fluid levels, took it for a test drive and confirmed all parameters are working fine. What could be the reason?
Your clutch slave cylinder must be gone.

Quote:
2. Yesterday morning (26th May), I drove another 13 kms and while coming back, I parked nearby a shop. When I came back, I noticed that the car wouldn't start. I doubted the battery as it is due for a change. I called the road side assistance. The road side assistance arrived after an hour. When we went to check the car, the car ignited in a single crank. We checked the battery and everything was fine. The mechanic indicated that the battery has started to bloat on the sides and it is better that I go for a change. I plan to do it over the weekend. Could a weak battery behave like this?
YOur battery is badly gone, please replace immediately.
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 19:35   #3740
BHPian

@HV Kumar, shouldn't the clutch plates last longer. I know I can get it covered under extended warranty, but want to know for my understanding sake.

Will change the battery over the weekend
Old 29th May 2014, 19:49   #3741
M35
BHPian

Quote:
@HV Kumar, shouldn't the clutch plates last longer. I know I can get it covered under extended warranty, but want to know for my understanding sake.
It should be the clutch slave cylinder not the clutch plates the culprit. The slave cylinder can be replaced under warranty but not the clutch plates.
Old 29th May 2014, 21:32   #3742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Will change the battery over the weekend
Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
It should be the clutch slave cylinder not the clutch plates the culprit. The slave cylinder can be replaced under warranty but not the clutch plates.
It is the clutch slave cylinder, not the clutch plate.

Clutch plate wear-out is entirely a function of driving style. Some wear it out in 15K also.
But the Scorpio clutch plates last really long - if you use them well, a life of 1.5 lakh is not uncommon.
Old 30th May 2014, 13:27   #3743
Senior - BHPian

Not surprised about the slave, just got mine done yesterday before my long drive through Goa to Palakkad next week. Mhwak 4x4, August, 2011, 42K on the Odo.

Engine oil is changed every 5 K kms, all noises attended to immediately. Been facing starting trouble on an off, the engine fails to crank, started 9 months back, after a bad fuel fill on the A'bad-Rajkoat highway. When I push the plunger on the fuel filter a couple of times, it starts pronto, the frequency is increasing. The fuel filter body is electronic, no jugad possible, friends at the ASC said, change it, slowly it will fail completely, it costs about 7 K! Please be careful where you fill fuel form for Mhwak, its a sensitive animal, had no such problems with my earlier Crde, did 80K Kms in 4 years without a hitch.

Left side winder was getting stuck on and off to, give the door pads a hard bang it comes back to life, but then gets stuck again. ASC promised to change the while machine.

I am a careful driver, do not ride the clutch, but lots of city driving too, my left knees have started paining, hard clutch at 42 K kms! Told ASC to check clutch and sure enough, they said change the clutch plates, pressure plates, slave and pipe. Since I am on extended warranty and in good terms with all the ASC guys, I got the filter body, clutch plates, slave and pipe and winder mechanism changed FOC. However the engine oil, both diff oils, brake oil and coolant top ups + labor was 10.5 K!! On scrutiny, found M&M have doubled the 40K labor cost to about 3500/-, nothing has changed the way they do the service, but general check up as usual. As the total package was fine, I was OK with that.

Friends at ASC say the Mhwak clutch does not last longer 40-50 K kms in most cases! Is this true? Wonder why? My Crde ran for 70K without problem, that too I insisted on the change before Ladakh drive, I think it would have done another 20 K kms easily. Is it technology, or inferior clutch or something else?

Getting also the underbody, rain protection coating from a friends workshop, 3 years back when I got did it for 2.5K, now it's 3.5! I think its a must to protect your truck it if you plan to run on rains.

Even after the clutch changes, on 1st, when I release there is a small vibration which was not there, the gear liver vibration has increased marginally. Taking it again to them to check all nuts and bolts. Am I missing anything?

--Ramky
=====

Last edited by ramkya1 : 30th May 2014 at 13:32.
Old 30th May 2014, 13:49   #3744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
.... Am I missing anything?
Ha ha, indeed you are!
Our 'desi' manufacturers will never learn! Their product quality is on an ever declining slope, unlike their counterparts from Japan and elsewhere!
It is easy to see that there will not be many repeat customers for M&M vehicles in the future if this trend continues.
Old 30th May 2014, 13:54   #3745
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Ha ha, indeed you are!
Our 'desi' manufacturers will never learn! Their product quality is on an ever declining slope, unlike their counterparts from Japan and elsewhere!
It is easy to see that there will not be many repeat customers for M&M vehicles in the future if this trend continues.
Anupji, Namaskar!

Are you saying this is a deliberate attempt to fleece customers? I can understand the Labor charge hike to make money, but quality of components? That's suicidal for customer retention!

Other owners with Mhwak, can you comment on the clutch life and experiences with clutch change?

Thanks.

--Ramky
======
Old 30th May 2014, 18:22   #3746
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Other owners with Mhwak, can you comment on the clutch life and experiences with clutch change?
M-Hawk Sle 2009

Clutch related issues ?
  • ODO: XX to 51,110 km – absolutely no glitches whatsoever. Performed like a dream !
  • ODO : 51,110 km – Oops ! Clutch Slave cylinder failed all of a sudden. Got it replaced under warranty along with the Clutch plate, though it had about 10,000 kms of life left. The ordeal here:http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3025617
  • Post 51,110 km [Currently ODO reading is close to 73,xxx kms] – absolutely no glitches whatsoever. Performing like a dream

Last edited by M35 : 30th May 2014 at 18:24.
M35 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2014, 15:07   #3747
Senior - BHPian

After resetting it a dozen times my TPMS is still blinking most of the time. The only solution is to get them replaced under warranty. Will have to go to the service centre again, what a pain!
Old 12th June 2014, 12:11   #3748
BHPian

Hi All

I need help again with my Non-CRDE Scorpio 2003 Chain Drive.

I am planning to do a long trip to Spiti and have ran into some problems.

First My AC Cooling Coil leaked. I got the whole AC done (Cooling Coil Replaced, Compressor Serviced) and for this the Dashboard was removed a few times. The Ac worked for 2 weeks and then suddenly cooling stopped. It was diagnosed that there was no current coming into the Compressor. With some playing around with the AC Compressor Relays and fuses in the Fuse box and the Thermostat Switch the AC started working again.

A lot of cables including the Autocop cables go around the fuse panel and the very next morning the Autocop Central Locking stopped working.

My Scorpio is a DX Model and came from Factory with Manual Central Locking (Driver Key trigers the gun which trigers the locks on the rest of the doors).

I got an Autocop Guardian Central Locking system . The Original gun in the Driver Door was replaced with a single Nippon Gun (Nippon gun fits properly when replacing the original gun). The Central Locking worked without any problems for the last 10 years.

Suddenly the Central Locking System stopped working. The reverse alarm still sounds, the Alarm is randomly giving out tak tak tak beep sounds all the time.
I called up Autocop and their engineer came yesterday.
First without checking anything he said the Autocop Controller had gone bust and has to be replaced with a new unit. I was okay with that but I told him to check first as the Manual Central Locking (Manual Driver Key turn triggering locks on other doors) was also not working.
He was a man in a hurry and not willing to listen. He opened the door panel (breaking most of the clips) and then un-taped the connections to the gun, and then connected another gun to check and that too didn't work.
He left telling me that first I needed to get the Factory installed manual Cental Locking working first then I could get a new Autocop unit installed.
He left the Door panel all loose and badly installed as the clips have broken.

Now I am confused how I should go about getting this resolved. We all know the state of affairs of the Mahindra Service Centers and what a nightmare it would be to go there and explain things.

Would only the Service Center be able to fix the Manual Cental Locking. Most probably there is some electrical connections gone bad for this. Now with the original Gun replaced with the Nippon Gun, and Autocop installed they are sure to wash their hands off it.

In the meantime I had the number of the original person who installed the Nippon Gun in the Door. He worked to install Accessories at the Dealership then, and Now he has become a senior at Minda. He is sending his engineer from Minda to check. I told him I do not have any issues replacing the Central Locking system to Minda as long as everything starts working and they are able to figure out why the Manual Central Locking is also not working.

I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Any suggestions ?

Styler

Last edited by Styler : 12th June 2014 at 12:13.
Old 12th June 2014, 13:40   #3749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Any suggestions ?

Styler
I mean this seriously: Get rid of this car and settle for even a more modest one if you want any peace of mind and reliability!
Never look at desi makers again, except perhaps Maruti Suzuki.
Old 12th June 2014, 13:46   #3750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
I mean this seriously: Get rid of this car and settle for even a more modest one if you want any peace of mind and reliability!
Never look at desi makers again, except perhaps Maruti Suzuki.
Sir;the vehicle in question is 11 years old;such issues ought to come up.
Let me know of a vehicle that will not show tantrums like these after a decade(leaving aside a few toyota's).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks