Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2013, 21:02   #3511
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Guys,

Is there any dealer in Bangalore/Mysore who will install ABS on my Scorpio LX?
I know, there is considerable amount of risk with dealer installed ABS, but i am willing to consider the pros and cons of such an installation.
The current wet weather and my frequent trips this time of year is making me think of installing ABS provided the dealer installation risk is low.
Old 21st July 2013, 21:05   #3512
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
I know, there is considerable amount of risk with dealer installed ABS, but i am willing to consider the pros and cons of such an installation.
The current wet weather and my frequent trips this time of year is making me think of installing ABS provided the dealer installation risk is low.
ABS will need to be installed at the factory. Also, ABS is not for wet weather conditions as such. I think traction control would be better for slippery conditons, but again that is also a factory installed option.
Old 21st July 2013, 21:18   #3513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
ABS will need to be installed at the factory. Also, ABS is not for wet weather conditions as such. I think traction control would be better for slippery conditons, but again that is also a factory installed option.
Oh...I thought ABS avoids locking of tyres on hard braking, irrespective of the weather and there by avoid chances of skidding after tyre locking in wet weather.
Please correct me if wrong.
Anyways, what options i have in Bangalore (IG, Sireesh,Chrome, Anant) anyone does the installation?
Old 21st July 2013, 21:30   #3514
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Anyways, what options i have in Bangalore (IG, Sireesh,Chrome, Anant) anyone does the installation?
One option - get a new vehicle
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2013, 21:35   #3515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
One option - get a new vehicle
Well Thanks, but as of now that is not an option for me. I am in love with my vehicle except for this.
Old 21st July 2013, 21:49   #3516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well Thanks, but as of now that is not an option for me. I am in love with my vehicle except for this.
I am afraid,installation of ABS is not something that can be handled by any aftermarket garage.Getting a vehicle with ABS is your only option.
Old 21st July 2013, 22:00   #3517
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... i am willing to consider the pros and cons of such an installation.
Let's consider what components you'll need to install ABS:
  1. The ABS controller/EHCU (of course)
  2. A complete set of hydraulic lines from the ABS-equipped model
  3. The 3 wheel speed sensors (2 on the front calipers, one on the rear diff - I believe newer Scorpios come with 4 channel ABS, with sensors on all 4 wheels)
  4. New front calipers
  5. New diff with socket for sensor
  6. New wiring harness for the ABS electronics
  7. What else did I miss?
And then you need a wizard of a mechanic (even in an ASS they don't have mechs who are trained to do a ground-up install of ABS).

Total cost can be worked out based on the components required, plus labour. Add the headache of initial troubleshooting an after-market ABS installation.

Worth it? Or would it prove cheaper to change cars?
Old 21st July 2013, 22:27   #3518
BANNED

Quote:

Technically speaking a retro fit is possible but not recommended. No dealer would fit it officially which means you will lose your warranty and the ABS components too will not have any warranty on them.
If you are still ok to take the plunge send me a PM or reply to this post and I shall point you to the best guy I know and can trust.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2013, 22:30   #3519
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Technically speaking a retro fit is possible but not recommended.
I'd say - Theoritically speaking a retro-fit is possible. But when even a drum to disk-brake swap is not without it's challenges, after-markte ABS / TCS etc are not going to be attempted in most situations ...
Old 21st July 2013, 23:04   #3520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Let's consider what components you'll need to install ABS:
  1. The ABS controller/EHCU (of course)
  2. A complete set of hydraulic lines from the ABS-equipped model
  3. The 3 wheel speed sensors (2 on the front calipers, one on the rear diff - I believe newer Scorpios come with 4 channel ABS, with sensors on all 4 wheels)
  4. New front calipers
  5. New diff with socket for sensor
  6. New wiring harness for the ABS electronics
  7. What else did I miss?
And then you need a wizard of a mechanic (even in an ASS they don't have mechs who are trained to do a ground-up install of ABS).

Total cost can be worked out based on the components required, plus labour. Add the headache of initial troubleshooting an after-market ABS installation.

Worth it? Or would it prove cheaper to change cars?
As i said above, replacement is not an option now. Either install the ABS or learn to live without ABS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Technically speaking a retro fit is possible but not recommended. No dealer would fit it officially which means you will lose your warranty and the ABS components too will not have any warranty on them.
If you are still ok to take the plunge send me a PM or reply to this post and I shall point you to the best guy I know and can trust.
When you say void the warranty, does it apply to complete vehicle warranty or just the affected parts.
Mine is under 1 year and has covered 21K KMS. I have purchased extended warranty also. Will all these be lost?
Yep, i know ABS will not have any warranty. It is just the trust.

Yes, please PM me the contact details. I will check with him.
Also, there is customization department in M&M, do they address these kind of requests or is it only bling bling stuff.
Old 22nd July 2013, 07:08   #3521
Senior - BHPian

gypsyFreak, consider this: You currently have a reliable braking system that works.
You are apprehensive about wet road conditions that you will frequently encounter and thus about the possibility once in a while of having to use hard braking in an emergency situation.
And, alas, the retrofit ABS braking system lets you down in that moment of dire need! A distinct possibility.
anupmathur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2013, 07:52   #3522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Trust me friend not worth the headache and SS-T has covered all that needs to be retrofitted to get this thingy working. Lets say you source all of these and have the money too, close to impossible to find someone with the needed expertize to carry out a good job.

Edit :

PM fellow member brraj who was keen on getting the ABS retrofitted in his car. He should be able to give you a good insight into the works involved since he did a bit of research on this.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 22nd July 2013 at 07:54.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2013, 10:37   #3523
Senior - BHPian

ABS is nice to have but not absolutely essential. Considering that till recently there was no ABS and lacs of vehicles still move around without it. ABS will just add another point of failure, and woe betide if it fails just when you need it.

On wet surface even with ABS you will have a longer braking distance, there is no instant stopping solution with any system. Just accept that braking under wet surface is difficult and modify the driving style accordingly.

I just wish that the law changes so that we have an option to get factory fitted ABS on all variants (and not just the top end).
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2013, 11:32   #3524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
1. TPMS - Use the L5 reset and see if it works, else disconnect the battery terminals and reconnect.

What is this L5 reset - and how can it be done? Can i do it myself or will i have to goto the A.S.S for getting it done?

I have also seen this all tpms sensors blinking together - but in my case, i also got the beeping sound. Also - it went away after a little while, i did call up by service advisor in the workshop and he said to not to worry, might be some issue with the sensor, manually check the tires for any issue - and drive on.

Asked me to get it checked when i next visit the workshop - and as is usually the case, they could not find anything wrong.
Old 22nd July 2013, 12:34   #3525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
On wet surface even with ABS you will have a longer braking distance, there is no instant stopping solution with any system. ....
This misses the point.
ABS is not meant primarily to shorten the braking distance; it's more about retaining steerage while braking.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks