Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2013, 11:10   #3451
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : 2007 Mahindra SLX

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Hi InControl,

The charges mentioned and the components estimated to be replaced seem too high.

Can your friend bring his vehicle to Anant Cars at Bannerghatta road for a second opinion? I will align the folks I know there to take a close look at it.

Please PM me your contact number so that I can call you directly.
All thanks to you Sir , We got the car back last week from ANanth Motors and are very happy with the work carried out over there.The bill came out to be 56k (Inclusive of Suspension overall).I will be sharing the details in 1 or 2 days.The clutch pedal hardness is still there (Clutch was not replaced), service personnel have told that there is still a lot of life left in it.The Ride Quality has definitely improved, So is the pickup, the issue was with the air sensor which was cleaned up and put back
InControl is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2013, 09:37   #3452
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Hi all,

I have a Non-CRDE Scorpio which has done 1 lac kms and the only thing done on the alternator was change of the bearing , that too was preventive because we thought it was making some sound.

This is about a friend who owns a 2007 CRDE Scorpio which has done 70,000 kms. Day before yesterday, at night while driving to Delhi from Gurgaon his alternator stopped working and slowly all electricals went down. The Scorpio would not even start after the battery drained out. He left the Scorpio in Delhi. Yesterday I took my trusted electrician Harvinder to fetch the Scorpio to the workshop. In the morning the Battery had regained some power and the Scorpio started and drove to the Workshop. The Alternator was not working. When it was opened we found that one of the Copper Slip Disk of the Armature on which the Carbons press to pass current had broken off. Apart from this the cutout was damaged. I would have preferred to change the Armature but my Electrician thought it better to get the armature repaired at the machine shop by putting in a sleeve below the Copper Slip Disk and then fixing a new Disk. He was confident that this is reliable enough. He replaced the Cutout and the total cost of repair including parts and labour is Rs 1700.

Now I am worried if an Mico Alternator fails like this on a 70,000 done Scorpio it can always fail in our Scorpios which have done much more in a remote place. Now the questions that come to mind are

1. What is the life of a Scorpio Alternator as it is a critical component and can leave you stranded. What all repairs to the Alternator have been done on other Scorpios in this forum ? HVK Sir your Scorpio maintenance record is the best guide for all of us. Can you please share what all maintenance has been done on your Scorpio Alternator till now ?

2. Is there any way to check if the Alternator is about to fail and needs any preventive action before trips to Leh etc ?

Styler
Old 24th May 2013, 10:03   #3453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Hi all,

I have a Non-CRDE Scorpio which has done 1 lac kms and the only thing done on the alternator was change of the bearing , that too was preventive because we thought it was making some sound.

This is about a friend who owns a 2007 CRDE Scorpio which has done 70,000 kms. Day before yesterday, at night while driving to Delhi from Gurgaon his alternator stopped working and slowly all electricals went down. The Scorpio would not even start after the battery drained out. He left the Scorpio in Delhi. Yesterday I took my trusted electrician Harvinder to fetch the Scorpio to the workshop. In the morning the Battery had regained some power and the Scorpio started and drove to the Workshop. The Alternator was not working. When it was opened we found that one of the Copper Slip Disk of the Armature on which the Carbons press to pass current had broken off. Apart from this the cutout was damaged. I would have preferred to change the Armature but my Electrician thought it better to get the armature repaired at the machine shop by putting in a sleeve below the Copper Slip Disk and then fixing a new Disk. He was confident that this is reliable enough. He replaced the Cutout and the total cost of repair including parts and labour is Rs 1700.

Now I am worried if an Mico Alternator fails like this on a 70,000 done Scorpio it can always fail in our Scorpios which have done much more in a remote place. Now the questions that come to mind are

1. What is the life of a Scorpio Alternator as it is a critical component and can leave you stranded. What all repairs to the Alternator have been done on other Scorpios in this forum ? HVK Sir your Scorpio maintenance record is the best guide for all of us. Can you please share what all maintenance has been done on your Scorpio Alternator till now ?

2. Is there any way to check if the Alternator is about to fail and needs any preventive action before trips to Leh etc ?

Styler
Symptoms of impending Alternator failure are evident in starting trouble, flickering lights & perceptible dimming of all lights when electrical load increases. Bearings that are failing will signal their plight by way of excessive vibration & noise in alternator area, which can even be felt inside the cabin. Alternator failures are rarely abrupt. You can check health of alternator by running a battery load test at your battery waalas which will exclude any starting trouble problems to be due to battery problems.

I have not faced alternator failure so far, and am on my original MICO BOSCH alternator. It has been opened up thrice so far, all in the BOSCH Service Centre to replace bearings (twice), regulators and rectifiers. I detected the problems beforehand because of my attention to vibration/ noise, flickering of lights, starting trouble, etc.

Always go to the BOSCH or Lucas service centres - they are very good, avoid going to a local mechanic

And my SCorpio's BOSCH alternator has crossed 342,000 kms.

I would not do any "jugaad" meaning I would prefer to change the parts as and when they fail instead of trying to mend them. Local mechanics also try to fit in parts that may not be compatible. On the other hand, I found the BOSCH service centre guys very competent, have all the parts & return your alternator in 3-5 hours. Not very expensive either.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2013, 10:19   #3454
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post

Styler
I have not had any issues with my BOSCH alternator for the past 90k kms apart from one regulator change done at 70k kms since the lights used to flicker once in a while at night.

Kumar has mentioned the symptoms of alternator trouble and failure in his post below.
Old 24th May 2013, 13:30   #3455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzledMoose View Post
Guys I have another issue with ac. The cooling is not the same every time I use the truck. It's chillier at times and standard at times although its acceptable. Does this hint a faulty thermostat etc?
Did anyone go through the same issue.
Dear all
Can anyone help me out with this issue?
Does anyone has to have ac filters cleaned up at 2 years before warranty.
Please help
Old 24th May 2013, 16:29   #3456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzledMoose
Can anyone help me out with this issue?
Does anyone has to have ac filters cleaned up at 2 years before warranty.
Please check if your Scorpio is equipped with an AC Filter. Get it cleaned every 10000 kms or 5000 kms if driving in dusty conditions.
Old 30th May 2013, 13:10   #3457
BHPian

need some urgent help,my car is at ASC for 55K service and just received a call stating the steering column needs to be replaced , i have extended warranty is this part covered under warranty .
Old 30th May 2013, 13:45   #3458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
need some urgent help,my car is at ASC for 55K service and just received a call stating the steering column needs to be replaced , i have extended warranty is this part covered under warranty .
It will depend on how hard you fight for it!
I fail to see why the steering system would not be covered under extended warranty! It is not a consumable part!
Old 30th May 2013, 14:09   #3459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you have the extended warranty booklet with you? If yes, the items which ARE covered / not covered are listed in detail in that [surprisingly, the standard owner's manual doesn't have this list ].

IMO, it should be covered.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 30th May 2013, 14:43   #3460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Question is why did it fail so early!

Stress your point that the part must have manufacturing defect!
Old 30th May 2013, 14:57   #3461
BHPian

I have informed the SA to confirm on extended warranty coverage for the said part ,waiting for them to revert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
It will depend on how hard you fight for it!
I fail to see why the steering system would not be covered under extended warranty! It is not a consumable part!
as per scorpio website steering system is included in extended warranty,however the ASC should not nitpick on any sub assembly lets see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Question is why did it fail so early!

Stress your point that the part must have manufacturing defect!
lets see what they have to say, i am going to stand my ground for replacement under warranty
Old 30th May 2013, 15:14   #3462
BHPian

Hi,

My 1 Lac done NON-CRDE Scorpio got a heat stroke last week.

Normally the temperature needle of My Scorpio remains at the Half Mark between the Cold and the Red. On the Only occasion that it rose previously, the AC Fan had stopped working.

Last week in the sweltering Delhi Heat with temperatures around 45, I got caught in a bad Traffic Jam due to an accident.
It was stop-go traffic for 30 minutes and I noticed that my super-efficient AC was not so efficient. Then I realized that the temperature needle had gone up more than half way between the half-mark and the Red Dot. It did not hit the Red Mark till then, and I just shut down the AC to prevent any damage. After 10 minutes of this we got out of the traffic jam and picked up speed. The temperature came down to slightly above the half-mark. I did not stop to check as the temperature had come back to slightly above Half Mark. I then turned on the AC Again, and it remained under control slightly more than the half mark.

I was fearing that the AC Fan would have stopped working, because that caused the temperature to rise in a similar hot June summer in Delhi.

When I reached home I checked and the AC Fan was running, then I checked the Coolant and that was just below the Max Mark in the bottle. I checked for leakages, and there were none to be seen. To summarize everything looked fine.

Now what could have caused the temperature rise, could it be that the Radiator is clogged and is loosing it's cooling capacity. My Radiator has not been cleaned ever in the last 10 yrs. I guess the cooling system needs some kind of overhaul, perhaps Radiator cleaning and coolant change.

Any ideas on what should be done ?

Styler
Old 30th May 2013, 15:57   #3463
BHPian

M&M has agreed to replace steering column under warranty .
Old 1st June 2013, 16:09   #3464
BHPian

Not sure if anyone has raised this issue here before. This is an issue, though not specific to Scorpio, is very much nagging for me as a scorpio owner.
The problem is this. When your windshield gets dirty with dust and grime, you would like to clean in on the run without having stop and pour water over the front glass. This is why there is a provision to spray water and wipe the windshield by pulling the wiper lever towards you. Right? What happens when you do so? The wiper blades start movement BEFORE the water jet hits the glass. The wiper blade damage the glass surface by grinding the dust and grime against the glass. What is the point in pouring water over the glass now? The damage is already done! Instead, the water stream should hit the windshield first, much before the wiper starts wetting it and removing at least part of the dust followed by the wiper movement. That way, 1) at least part of the dust would have been removed, 2) the water would have moistened the glass surface reducing the scratches and 3) the lose dust would be washed away by the jet.
Old 1st June 2013, 16:25   #3465
BHPian

Rajith
Mean while iam getting a humming noise in AC blower while running at speed 2, after 15 min of operations

Blower is silent in all other speeds and during first 15 min.Please advise.

I suspect blower resistor, mine is under extended warranty.Hope resistor is covered under the same.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys,

I got my AC blower fan replaced (38000kms done) under extended warranty.
Now no humming sound in any speed.

Rajith

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks