Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2009, 14:35   #331
Senior - BHPian

Unni, I agree with what your line of thought is!
This is experimental technology and there is no documentation on long term effects.
I consider it pre-mature and am of the opinion that the customers are being used as guinea pigs!
The very basis of this inane approach is shocking, although it ostensibly comes from a house of repute, to put it mildly! There are just too many unanswered questions!
Old 15th June 2009, 14:44   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Unni, I agree with what your line of thought is!
This is experimental technology and there is no documentation on long term effects.
I consider it pre-mature and am of the opinion that the customers are being used as guinea pigs!
The very basis of this inane approach is shocking, although it ostensibly comes from a house of repute, to put it mildly! There are just too many unanswered questions!
So true. Also, if the AC is on and the engine shuts down, the engine starts up with the AC compressor online (hope you understood what I mean!!). Isn't that bad for the engine/compressor?

Like you very rightly put it, too many unanswered questions.
Old 15th June 2009, 14:58   #333
BHPian

Quote:
This, I presume, is the thermostat that cuts off the compressor at about 4° C to prevent frosting on the evaporator coils? Not user adjustable.
Is that the one?
Hi,
I think you are right, the guy called it Anti Freeze switch...
Old 25th June 2009, 09:04   #334
BHPian

loss of pick up

Folks,
In the recent past i am feeling a loss of pickup,engine grunts when i push it hard from 1st and 2nd.
Recently a mechanic applied Oil on the air filter (smeared it) , could it be the case? It was not in Mahindra SS. The Air filter itself is around 20 k old.
Would the issue be with Turbo?
Is there any other sensor associated with pick up?

Pls advice.

tnx
Old 25th June 2009, 10:16   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR View Post
Recently a mechanic applied Oil on the air filter (smeared it) , could it be the case? It was not in Mahindra SS. The Air filter itself is around 20 k old.
Would the issue be with Turbo?
Pradeep, oil is never to be smeared on the airfilter! It is a 'dry' type filter.
Any oil carry over could start a turbo fire!!

First, do get the air filter element renewed. If that does not solve the problem, you could start looking at other possibilities.
Old 25th June 2009, 10:44   #336
Senior - BHPian

WHAT??? why did he do that? first thing first... change the mechanic.
Old 29th June 2009, 08:56   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Pradeep, oil is never to be smeared on the airfilter! It is a 'dry' type filter.
Any oil carry over could start a turbo fire!!

First, do get the air filter element renewed. If that does not solve the problem, you could start looking at other possibilities.
Hi AnupM/ Raj,
Changed my air filter immediatly and removed any oil remaining there, there is definitly a huge improvement but, certainly not in the class it used to be.Mileage on highway after filter change was a decent 11.90 at speeds of average 90km/h and full a/c and loaded.
I have done 43k now, i think car needs a decent service.
Kindly advice the problem areas for pickup.
1.Fuel filter?
2.Any sensor?
3.Turbo? i feel it does not really kick in FULLY and i do not feel that SURGE as before? But i can the turbo sound. As a layman i doubt this to be the issue.if so what can be done.I really follow the min 30 sec idle before running/switch off schedule.
Anything else? Always use system d once every 3 fills and normal HP disel ONLY.
Gurus pls guide.
Old 29th June 2009, 09:15   #338
Senior - BHPian

hi pradeep, since you have changes the filter, half the problem is solved. also do consider a fuel pump servicing. this was done is my older scorpio & had given a considerable improvement.
about the turbo, do you follow the 1 minute idling procedure after starting & before shutting down the engine?
Old 29th June 2009, 14:26   #339
BHPian

Anyone help me on my previous Query #316 !
Old 29th June 2009, 14:29   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
hi pradeep, since you have changes the filter, half the problem is solved. also do consider a fuel pump servicing. this was done is my older scorpio & had given a considerable improvement.
about the turbo, do you follow the 1 minute idling procedure after starting & before shutting down the engine?
Hey Raj, when did you get the fuel pump serviced? i mean at what Kms.? Was it suggested by the SA? How much were the charges? Mine has done just 32k. Does it make any sense getting it done so early?
Old 29th June 2009, 15:12   #341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
do you follow the 1 minute idling procedure after starting & before shutting down the engine?
Hi, is this procedure required / recommended. The user manual does not mention this.

I remember the older gen diesel vehicles where it was mandatory, (up to the extent of the orange glow for heating before starting)
Old 29th June 2009, 16:09   #342
BHPian

The two fundas are completely different.

Old gen diesels were InDirectInjection where the fuel was jetted into the manifold and needed a warm combustion chamber to ignite. The newer cars are DirectInjection where the fuel is sprayed into the combustion chamber itself and the pure air that is compressed is hot enough to burn the diesel.

The latest CRDe tech takes it to the next level with extremely high pressure injection.

Hence on the older diesels, you had to do the glowplug routine.

The newer turbodiesels need a startup / switch off ritual to get oil into the turbo at startup and to drain the turbo of the oil efore shutdown.

Thanks
Vijay
Old 29th June 2009, 16:31   #343
Senior - BHPian

Dear Vijay,

Thanks a lot for the inputs. I will start the ritual from today onwards.

I still have a lot to learn about diesels (specially turbo ones), but things should be simple with Guru's like you around.

Regards
Maneesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
The newer turbodiesels need a startup / switch off ritual to get oil into the turbo at startup and to drain the turbo of the oil efore shutdown.
Old 30th June 2009, 09:09   #344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpMan View Post
Hey Raj, when did you get the fuel pump serviced? i mean at what Kms.? Was it suggested by the SA? How much were the charges? Mine has done just 32k. Does it make any sense getting it done so early?
i got it serviced at around 85,000 kms. yes, the SA suggested this & that was when i complained about lack of acceleration. i did notice a slight improvement but i dint get what i expected.
i am sorry i dont remember the charges as this was done pretty long back.

in my opinion, it does not make sense getting it done at 32k.

i never touch the 'unprofessional' mahindra technicians touch any part of my car until & unless its absloutely necessary. more often than not, they create more issues after the vehicle comes out of the A.S.S.

for example, my driver's door in my mHawk was squeaking. there was no problem in any other doors. i told the A.S.S. to correct it. i dont know for what reason, they adjusted & 'tightened' all the doors. now my driver's door still squeaks & even the passenger side has started squeaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Dear Vijay,

Thanks a lot for the inputs. I will start the ritual from today onwards.

I still have a lot to learn about diesels (specially turbo ones), but things should be simple with Guru's like you around.

Regards
Maneesh
this is always to be done in turbo diesels. i always do this in my mHawk but i used to avoid this in my non-CRDe. i guess now after 6 years, the turbo is in a bad shape. that must be the reason for it's lack of grunt.
Old 30th June 2009, 17:39   #345
Senior - BHPian

I think the companies should properly guide the owners on such important things.

Quote:
this is always to be done in turbo diesels. i always do this in my mHawk but i used to avoid this in my non-CRDe. i guess now after 6 years, the turbo is in a bad shape. that must be the reason for it's lack of grunt.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks