Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2013, 17:05   #3361
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative View Post
Pain owning one of these (owned only jap cars before this).
my boss was like "they put this car together with toothpicks or what"... :(

I guess Tata and Mahindra are ticked off as companies never to touch EVER again..........
Come-on!! These are just minor niggling issues we can live with. The pros of the Scorpio are quite overpowering.
And Japanese cars also have their own share of problems
Old 18th April 2013, 10:05   #3362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Sounds like the infamous pinion bush/bearing, been through that too .

Currently the driver side power window is having it's mood swings and decides to get stuck half way.A mild pull of the glass and it gets rolling.
I think I will have to make another visit to the A.S.S. to have this sorted out.

As far as your window goes, get the door paneling opened at a local garage, it may be the frame assembly or the pully which may be having some issues. I have already replaced 2 of them (both right side windows) on account of the broken plastic parts inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I woud have the ICE replaced with something better so that the money spent feels worth it.

Take an estimate of the Nippon repair from multiple places and I m sure you can get it done cheaper. How much does a new unit cost?

Is the clutch sound not the result of a worn out clutch spring or a bush at the pedal?
I am on the verge of replacing the car so don't want to spend much on the ICE, so just thinking of the options since I am not missing it too much.

The clutch thing will have to be looked at the A.S.S. soon
Old 18th April 2013, 20:54   #3363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am on the verge of replacing the car
mupreti,

Considering the number of niggles/issues you have faced, you have been a brave customer so far to ensure the obligations are met.

I hope M&M does evolve itself into a better quality driven manufacturing set up, to provide peace of mind to its customers.
Old 19th April 2013, 09:54   #3364
BHPian

Guys, Need advice on using Shell Diesel for Scorpio.

Mine is a Scorpio Lx 4wd, clocked 14k KMS.
Is it ok to put Shell diesel. Given the fact that price difference is 7 rupees, i am contemplating on using Shell diesel during highway trips. Doing a ECU reset (disconnect battery for 15 mins) should re-calibrate the ECU to adjust to Shell diesel... isn't it.?

Any inputs on this? Anyone tried shell diesel on Mhawk before?
Old 19th April 2013, 10:17   #3365
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative View Post
list of issues faced as follows. Car model Sep 2012 SLE done 7000 kms till date.
None of the issues mentioned by you are serious enough to be regarded as deterrents against buying a Scorpio.

All vehicles have their share of quirks and I can safely say that the Scorpio is amongst those who has the least of them in its segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
Guys, Need advice on using Shell Diesel for Scorpio.
I own a CRDe and have filled Shell diesel a couple of times with no issues at all.
I do not think the MHawk will be averse to it as well.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2013, 10:24   #3366
Senior - BHPian

Our Scorpio SLE turns 3 this May with about 45K on odo.
List of issues faced till date
1)5th gear synchro failed,and vehicle started slipping from 5th gear to neutral intermittently,fixed at 30K service,5th gear kit replaced under warranty.
2)Driver side power window winder replaced under warranty.
3)Fused parking bulb.

Not sure if these can be called as major niggles/issues,other than that performance has been flawless.
Old 19th April 2013, 10:50   #3367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
mupreti,

Considering the number of niggles/issues you have faced, you have been a brave customer so far to ensure the obligations are met.

I hope M&M does evolve itself into a better quality driven manufacturing set up, to provide peace of mind to its customers.
Thanks getsurya, you have been one of the old timers and privy to my woes. However, despite the niggles I have had the my fill of enjoyment with the Scorpio with the support of m&M & the A.S.S. (G3 Motors, Nerul) and since I normally change vehicles between 4th and 5th years of ownership this is perfectly normal .

Since, the options seem to be limited (mainly price, since Rexton, Fortuner, and the likes are overpriced) I may be going in for a XUV5OO pretty soon.
Old 19th April 2013, 17:16   #3368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have had the my fill of enjoyment with the Scorpio
mupreti,

I agree, completely! In fact, when we are looking out for our next SUV, my family's first response was 'should we buy Scorpio again?'. In fact this coming from my wife & my mother is an awesome recognition for M&M as both of them would urge me to take my sedan out for long drives instead of my first Scorpio(boat)!

XUV is an ideal choice(I am not convinced of the overtly done front and rear design and the niggles/issues!) and am watching that space till I make a decision.
Old 19th April 2013, 17:29   #3369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
mupreti,

I agree, completely! In fact, when we are looking out for our next SUV, my family's first response was 'should we buy Scorpio again?'. In fact this coming from my wife & my mother is an awesome recognition for M&M as both of them would urge me to take my sedan out for long drives instead of my first Scorpio(boat)!

XUV is an ideal choice(I am not convinced of the overtly done front and rear design and the niggles/issues!) and am watching that space till I make a decision.
Well I guess both you and me (including the families) share the same view, my better half wanted another Scorpio (White this time )

XUV is a good bet if you discount the heavily done external cosmetics. The niggles are almost down to a trickle and the remaining would be manageable
Old 19th April 2013, 21:16   #3370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
...The niggles are almost down to a trickle and the remaining would be manageable
I really don't know how much of this I can agree with. My almost seven years old Scorpio has had far fewer 'niggles' than what all the current ones seem to have! After all, that is what this thread is about and I read it thoroughly. The niggles are on the rise!
I am convinced that the quality is going down, not up!
anupmathur is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2013, 07:59   #3371
BHPian

Yes I do agree. I am yet to get permanent solution for my ac gas leakage issue even after 2 years of first occurance. Additionally, Service Center add to my woes by creating new issues due to their negligence like during last servicing, they forgot to properly fit front window glasses and meter console glass. Now window glass movement is like they will fall or stuck any moment and meter console glass is making vibration noise more than engine and tyres do collectively.

Now I avoid going to ASC as long as possible. Eagerly waiting to complete my warranty period so that I can get maintenance done at private garage as per my satisfaction.

Last edited by amk_2009 : 20th April 2013 at 08:01.
Old 20th April 2013, 10:07   #3372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
I really don't know how much of this I can agree with. My almost seven years old Scorpio has had far fewer 'niggles' than what all the current ones seem to have! After all, that is what this thread is about and I read it thoroughly. The niggles are on the rise!
I am convinced that the quality is going down, not up!
I meant the XUV niggles. As far as the Scorpio is concerned my 5 year old had its share and now its is regular issues that any electro mechanical device would have
Old 20th April 2013, 12:03   #3373
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
I really don't know how much of this I can agree with.
He was mentioning the XUV niggles here and not the Scorpio.
Further even the current crop of Scorpios are as trouble free as the older breed for most people except those cheap Chinese (?) Electronics having their mood swings.

The XUV as it stands now is, like m_upreti said, worth a shot safely.
Old 21st April 2013, 07:43   #3374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
He was mentioning the XUV niggles here and not the Scorpio.
Further even the current crop of Scorpios are as trouble free as the older breed for most people except those cheap Chinese (?) Electronics having their mood swings.

The XUV as it stands now is, like m_upreti said, worth a shot safely.
To me, looks like Anup was mentioning about the 'attitude' towards quality in general. This is fully applicable to the ASC folks as well as the quality of OEM parts used now a days.

While mupreti talked about XUV, I would like to use Scorpio as the yard stick (because they are around for a while).

I was at a nearby Mahindra dealer checking out a Scorpio (well, actually a Rexton, but that's for another thread). I sat in one at the showroom and the cost cuts are glaringly visible. Right from the seat fabric quality to the plastic switches as well as the door pads and knobs - everything felt flimsy. Switching back to my 5 year old Scorpio seemed like built to last.

Now I agree these were only cosmetic, but the trend to cut cost is so visible on such areas, I wonder what will be case with the mechanical parts.

Is there a correlation between this phenomenon and the number of issues on the rise with newer vehicles? (I.e., parts with compromised quality and ASC with ill-trained/ill-skilled staffs due to cost cutting everywhere)!

Sorry about the OT, but I wanted to bring this view out here to help understand the issue behind issues. (Mods, please remove or move to appropriate thread if required).
Old 21st April 2013, 08:34   #3375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMo View Post
To me, looks like Anup was mentioning about the 'attitude' towards quality in general. This is fully applicable to the ASC folks as well as the quality of OEM parts used now a days.

...... Switching back to my 5 year old Scorpio seemed like built to last.

Now I agree these were only cosmetic, but the trend to cut cost is so visible on such areas, I wonder what will be case with the mechanical parts.
GunMo, yes, indeed, I meant 'quality' as a company policy. If compromises are made to one model they will, most certainly, be made on other models too!
Mechanical problems? Hah! Power windows not working is a prime example in a shockingly large number of Scorpios that have not had their third birthday yet!
On my seven year old they work like they did when new!
All features work except for one door switch (tailgate). That is the extent of the 'niggles' I have seen. Even the AC has not asked for a gas top up.
However, I must mention it upset me greatly when I had to change the starter motor at five years. A new Bosch motor cost me rupees 6K5 at the friendly neighbourhood garage. The armature could have been renewed in the old Lucas motor that came as OEM, but I opted to replace the entire motor. The Bosch motor was a direct fit.

Other than this I have had no problems of any sort. How many of the newer Scorpios can make such a claim?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks