Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2013, 11:07   #3271
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Hi, my VLX seems to be now failing me more often now. It refused to start in the morning again. The battery was replaced 3 weeks back. It seems to be a cold start problem, any clues, inputs.
The new battery was completely drained out, so I have had it taken out and last night sent for charging (for 200 Rs.). It seems that the music system is the culprit, some lights remain on with the key out also and the set is getting heated up, so along with the battery I have pulled out the connections of the system also.

I have not installed any electrical accessories except for a couple of LED strips on the headlamps.

Once the battery is back I will see the response (after removal of the music system) and decide further course of action.
Old 26th February 2013, 11:53   #3272
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
How is the FE before and after decarbonising?
Update here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3050897
Old 26th February 2013, 12:34   #3273
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Quote:
There seems to have been a slight drop in the FE compared to the previous figures and I attribute it to multiple reasons:
1. The brand new Geolandars are very grippy.
2. The new MLD is yet to run-in.
3. The clutch, at 85k km is not exactly very new.
You wouldn't consider attributing the drop in FE to the decarbonising you had done, would you? Would like to get Roshun's & gd1418's feedback about their own Scorpios' FE figures after decarbonisation.

And I thought new tyres improved FE vis-a-vis old tyres.

Why and how do you run-in an MLD?

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 26th February 2013 at 12:36.
Old 26th February 2013, 12:41   #3274
BANNED

Quote:
You wouldn't consider attributing the drop in FE to the decarbonising you had done, would you? Would like to get Roshun's & gd1418's feedback about their own Scorpios' FE figures after decarbonisation.

And I thought new tyres improved FE vis-a-vis old tyres.

Why and how do you run-in an MLD?
There is no reason the de carb would decrease the FE.
Roshun's FE has gone up by around 10% post the de carb and he is now getting 11.5 plus kmpl in Delhi traffic. GD's TB-I's FE is yet to be measured.

The MLD is a new component and like any other new mechanical part, needs to bed in with the rest of the mechanicals and "age" to run completely smoothly.

Yes, new tires due to their increased size and grip levels will result in a drop in the FE.
Old 26th February 2013, 12:56   #3275
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There is no reason the de carb would decrease the FE.
Injectors delivering a less atomised charge after having been opened up too much due to the decarbonising chemicals?
Quote:
The MLD is a new component and like any other new mechanical part, needs to bed in with the rest of the mechanicals and "age" to run completely smoothly.
You aren't expecting metal wear in the MLD by any chance, are you? In that case you'd want to check the diff oil and the magnet on the drain bolt for metal shavings ASAP...
Quote:
Yes, new tires due to their increased size and grip levels will result in a drop in the FE.
Increased size = bigger diameter = increase in FE.
Increased grip = reduced transmission loss from engine to road = increase in FE.
Both reasons you mention should contribute to increasing FE, not dropping it.
Old 26th February 2013, 14:50   #3276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Injectors delivering a less atomised charge after having been opened up too much due to the decarbonising chemicals?
How about injectors not atomizing well due to carbon deposits/trumpets on the tips?
Decarbonizing would remove these and allow optimal atomization, thereby giving improved FE.
Old 26th February 2013, 16:22   #3277
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
How about injectors not atomizing well due to carbon deposits/trumpets on the tips?
Decarbonizing would remove these and allow optimal atomization, thereby giving improved FE.
You need to do the decarbonisation and see. First question to answer would be: What was the drop in FE prior to decarb, when compared to the 10k km old car? Would like to know for your Scorpio, for example. Mine hasn't varied beyond usual limits till now.
Old 26th February 2013, 17:01   #3278
BANNED

Quote:
Injectors delivering a less atomized charge after having been opened up too much due to the decarbonizing chemicals?
You are bent on negating the effects of the de carb, aren't you??

Quote:
You aren't expecting metal wear in the MLD by any chance, are you? In that case you'd want to check the diff oil and the magnet on the drain bolt for metal shavings ASAP...
I did, and hence the diff oil was changed at Kurnool and a few filings were found.
Increased size = bigger diameter = increase in FE.
Quote:
Increased grip = reduced transmission loss from engine to road = increase in FE.
Higher grip levels = more rolling resistance = reduced FE.
Old 26th February 2013, 18:03   #3279
Senior - BHPian

Happy to report The Bull's mileage post 1.6L kms service and decarbonisation. While I previously used to get a consistent 11.83 kms to a litre, under similar conditions have got 12.8 in the recent tank-full.

The vehicle has a more peppy pick-up.
gd1418 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2013, 21:10   #3280
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You are bent on negating the effects of the de carb, aren't you??
No, just scientifically analysing whether every car deserves to be decarbonised, and whether decarb benefits are as high as they are purported to be. Why should a highway-going vehicle consistently running at 3k rpm have any substantial carbon deposits that need chemical decarbonisation?
Quote:
I did, and hence the diff oil was changed at Kurnool and a few filings were found.
You wouldn't consider that the filings were generated due to repeated engagement/disengagement of the MLD when you went off-roading?
Quote:
Higher grip levels = more rolling resistance = reduced FE.
Rolling resistance is not exclusively a factor of grip as much as it is dependent on multiple other factors, especially diameter and inflation pressure. Tyre pressure, tyre diameter, tyre construction, tread pattern and other factors all have an effect on rolling resistance.

Tyres with a smaller diameter have a higher rolling resistance with the same tyre pressure, because tyre deformation is proportionally greater. In other words the tire is “less round”.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Happy to report The Bull's mileage post 1.6L kms service and decarbonisation. While I previously used to get a consistent 11.83 kms to a litre, under similar conditions have got 12.8 in the recent tank-full.
11.83 km/l consistently in both summer and winter? Or just the average? And what about Roshun's Scorpio?
Old 26th February 2013, 21:26   #3281
Senior - BHPian

I've averaged the figures. If you want to be specific, then with the AC on continuously I got 11.5 in the city and 12.3 on the highway.

Quote:

11.83 km/l consistently in both summer and winter? Or just the average?
I guess he will have to answer for himself. But if I remember correctly he mentioned something like 12.8 after decarb while he never got above 10.9 before.

Quote:

And what about Roshun's Scorpio?

Last edited by gd1418 : 26th February 2013 at 21:28.
Old 26th February 2013, 21:35   #3282
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...with the AC on continuously I got 11.5 in the city and 12.3 on the highway.
Quote:
...have got 12.8 in the recent tank-full.
12.3 HWY average with AC versus 12.8 CITY average without AC at present - not a massive jump.
Quote:
...he mentioned something like 12.8 after decarb while he never got above 10.9 before.
Now that's a big jump.

To conclude, FE gain post decarbonisation is inconsistent in this case study, where 3 similar cars decarbonised at the same time show a gain in one, no major gain in the second, and a loss of FE in the third.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 26th February 2013 at 21:38.
Old 27th February 2013, 17:39   #3283
BHPian

Actually I also got my Scorpio Decarbonised at Rakesh Motors when Dev's Hariya was dismantled for the MLD fitment. I did notice a smoother and more peppier engine. I normally do not measure FE except when I drive on the highways. Even before the Decarb my Non-CRDE Chain Drive Scorpio gives 12.5-13 to a litre.

I am also in line to get the MLD fitted once after Devdath's Scorpio does some more kms.

Styler.

Last edited by Styler : 27th February 2013 at 17:57.
Styler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2013, 20:59   #3284
Senior - BHPian

I was at the ASC for my Scorpio's 40k service today, and found these boards put up by them.

Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-photo0034.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-photo0035.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-photo0036.jpg

These prices are applicable for Pune, but I guess they should be on similar lines in most other cities.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2013, 08:55   #3285
BHPian

In Delhi the Service Charges for a Scorpio at the ASC is Rs 2800. Compare that to Rs 950 for a Toyota Camry.
Styler is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks