Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2012, 15:58   #3136
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfvinay View Post
Is the old one a Amaron Black battery? I had a Amaron Black in my CRDe and it gave me exactly 23 months life which I thought was very less. Thinking it a one off case I replaced it with the same battery again. Now I wonder if the Amaron Blacks life is just around 2 years while most other batteries serve a lot more.
Yeah. Its the Amaron Black. Coincidental or company strategy?
Old 12th December 2012, 00:06   #3137
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Check if the brake lights remain on all the time. Explained in detail here...
Thanks for the reply. I have checked the brake light and it works normally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
As SS has mentioned, it is most likely your break or clutch sensor. Can you also check if your Micro hybrid is working?
I usually switch off the Micro Hybrid but after reading your post I have checked it and it seems to be working fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
My front RHS window stopped working recently, it would wind up only about of couple of inches down and stop. It was making some sounds and a oily line was coming through on the glass for last few weeks but finally it stopped completely.

Took the car over to a local garage, one of the supporters (white plastic arm) had broken and the entire winding assembly had to be replaced by cutting the rivits and reinstalling with bolts.

The assembly cost me Rs. 780.00 & Rs. 300 for the fitting.

If you can tell which light was flashing (engine check ? , as it is usually orange) it may get more insight on the issue. The krr sound would be the ignition turning but the engine not firing.

I have had this issue, the problem was on acccount of one of the connecting wires which had broken. The vehicle slows down because once you apply the cruise control and leave the accelerator the ECU is not taking over the control of the fuel supply.
Looks like I need to get it checked it at the service center. Need to take it there this weekend.
Old 12th December 2012, 11:14   #3138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
As it turned out, the battery had gone dry and one of the battery cells had conked off so had to replace the battery. To eliminate all doubts, everything worked fine with a different used battery so the culprit was correctly identified. Picked up the SF Jumbo 8800 for 5200 Rs.

Additionally, in the Crde, harshness/vibration is a bit too much at idle and even during the drive. Is there no solution to that? Engine/body mounts? Any fuel/engine oil/transmission additive? I used Mobil Delvac MX this time but it didn't reduce the harshness as much as it does in my TCIC Safari.
Good to know that the solution was so simple, however the batery getting conked off in slightly over 2 years is a cause for concern.

The CRDE I think sports the previous generation suspension which was improved with the mHawk, there is no way any additive would help reduce the viberations, you may check with the A.S.S. if the replacement of the engine and body mounts with the latest ones (if compatible) would help. But personally I feel that the CRDE is much more rugged and gives a much rougher (read Jeep like ) feel than the much subdued feel in the mHawk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane78 View Post
Looks like I need to get it checked it at the service center. Need to take it there this weekend.
It would be advisable to have the gizmos like Cruise Control etc. worked at the A.S.S. since the local garages do not have the required knowhow of the wirings and complexities involved.
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2012, 13:36   #3139
BANNED

Quote:
Additionally, in the Crde, harshness/vibration is a bit too much at idle and even during the drive. Is there no solution to that? Engine/body mounts?
CRDe engines seldom wear out and whatever vibration you are feeling is due to worn out engine mounts (2) and the gearbox mount (1). Get them replaced and the vehicle should be fine.
The replacement is easily done at the ASC in less than an hour.
Old 12th December 2012, 20:47   #3140
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
batery getting conked off in slightly over 2 years is a cause for concern.

The CRDE I think sports the previous generation suspension which was improved with the mHawk, there is no way any additive would help reduce the viberations, you may check with the A.S.S. if the replacement of the engine and body mounts with the latest ones (if compatible) would help. But personally I feel that the CRDE is much more rugged and gives a much rougher (read Jeep like ) feel than the much subdued feel in the mHawk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
CRDe engines seldom wear out and whatever vibration you are feeling is due to worn out engine mounts (2) and the gearbox mount (1). Get them replaced and the vehicle should be fine.
The replacement is easily done at the ASC in less than an hour.
Thanks Guys, Getting the mounts changed might change things I guess. Also, has anyone heard of suspension damping pads. The rocky nature of the Crde is a painful experience. Does changing to mHawk shocks and springs make it any better?
Old 12th December 2012, 20:59   #3141
BANNED

Quote:

Thanks Guys, Getting the mounts changed might change things I guess. Also, has anyone heard of suspension damping pads. The rocky nature of the Crde is a painful experience. Does changing to mHawk shocks and springs make it any better?
I m surprised you are not happy with the suspension, at the driver's seat. Nevertheless, changing to Bilsteins changes things dramatically.
Old 12th December 2012, 21:06   #3142
BHPian

It would be advisable to have the gizmos like Cruise Control etc. worked at the A.S.S. since the local garages do not have the required knowhow of the wirings and complexities involved.[/quote]

It would be done at the A.S.S itself. have never got the vehicles checked outside of A.S.S
Old 12th December 2012, 21:14   #3143
BHPian

Quote:
I m surprised you are not happy with the suspension, at the driver's seat. Nevertheless, changing to Bilsteins changes things dramatically.
I recently had to take a ride in the back seat of my CRDe and it was unbearable. Mine is a 05 CRDe with leafspring setup. Recambering guy was mentioning I can add one or two more leaves if I frequently carry high loads which I do not. For normal use, does adding a leaf help improve the ride quality or does it worsen it?

Any idea of the cost of Bilsteins?
Old 12th December 2012, 21:29   #3144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfvinay View Post

I recently had to take a ride in the back seat of my CRDe and it was unbearable. Mine is a 05 CRDe with leafspring setup. Recambering guy was mentioning I can add one or two more leaves if I frequently carry high loads which I do not. For normal use, does adding a leaf help improve the ride quality or does it worsen it?

Any idea of the cost of Bilsteins?
For my 2.6 TDI non-crde, I had changed the rear springs to composite fiber leaf springs. These are single leafs. The ride quality and body roll had improved drastically. And they were completely maintainence free. Used them for close to 5 years without a problem; including a trip to ladakh. They were still going strong when I sold it few months back. Cost me some 18k that time (am told they've become costlier now), but it was totally worth it.
Old 12th December 2012, 21:39   #3145
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Yup. As 4x4addict had once pointed out, the bump-stops are hit way too often and hence the extremely rocky nature plus the wallowing nature of the Crde is a pain especially because I drive the Scorpio once in a while and my daily drive is a torsion-beam 4wd Safari which is a boat too but a way-less rocky one.

Bilsteins are 38k for a set of 4 for the 540. Assuming a similar rating for the Scorpio, its not economically feasible.

I am going to enquire about the suspension damping pads. They supposedly improve the ride.
AVR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2012, 21:55   #3146
BANNED

To add to what Mandar said, Bilsteins costing around 25k INR for a set of two and CFL s for the rear are the two most optimal changes one can make to improve the ride quality of our leaf spring cousins, and improve it does.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2012, 22:05   #3147
BHPian

Quote:
To add to what Mandar said,
CFL s for the rear are the two most optimal changes one can make to improve the ride quality of our leaf spring cousins, and improve it does.
Lol Dev,
For a moment I'm like- I didn't fit any bulbs at the rear!
But it's true, and I speak from experience- the Composite leafs are very good.
Old 13th December 2012, 16:43   #3148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It would be done at the A.S.S itself. have never got the vehicles checked outside of A.S.S
Till the time my Scorpio was under Warranty (2+2), I was visiting the A.S.S. for the smallest of things, but post Sep 2012, I have found a reliable garage close to my place to have the basic electrical & mechanical issues sorted out (till date only 2 times - Horn not working - The wiring was broken and the A.S.S. was struggling to find the point of breakage & replacement of the front RHS window winding assembly).
Old 13th December 2012, 21:31   #3149
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have checked the brake light and it works normally.
I usually switch off the Micro Hybrid ... and it seems to be working fine.
Before you do, check/do the following:
1. Retry engaging cruise control, after removing battery leads and reconnecting after 15 minutes.
2. Press clutch and brake pedals, and let them snap back to rest position once or twice (instead of easing off the foot pressure as we usually do).
3. Press the cruise control buttons hard a few times.

Scorpios have a self-healing ability on being provoked, unheard of in most other cars - try it once. My MicroHybrid and CC have misbehaved and auto-cured like this before.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2012, 23:27   #3150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Before you do, check/do the following:
1. Retry engaging cruise control, after removing battery leads and reconnecting after 15 minutes.
2. Press clutch and brake pedals, and let them snap back to rest position once or twice (instead of easing off the foot pressure as we usually do).
3. Press the cruise control buttons hard a few times.

Scorpios have a self-healing ability on being provoked, unheard of in most other cars - try it once. My MicroHybrid and CC have misbehaved and auto-cured like this before.
This sounds good. Will try it first thing tommorow. Thanks for the tips SS-Traveller .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks