Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2009, 18:59   #301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifts View Post
Hi ,
By "too loud" I mean to say that I could not hear the engine running sound when the blower speed was set at 2. Once I switched off the blower then I could hear the engine sound.
Is the blower noise of your Scorpio's also the same, please confirm.

(also, the test drive did not have a music system) .
well, thats because the mHawk is a silent unit!!! which makes you feel the blower is too noisy!
as i said, in my car, i find it loud on 3 & 4, not in position 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I also prefer the old Scorpio looks and I appreciate the heavy gauge of metal used, which is definitely of a greater gauge/ thickness than the Crde ones. In may ways, the old Scorpio felt more solid.
i absolutely agree to that. the mHawk feels like a kid in front of my non-CRDe, the big DADDY! it is still so tough & robust....
Old 4th June 2009, 09:40   #302
Senior - BHPian

Challenge the Mileage M&M Contest: BOSS WINS!!

Hi Guys,

How are you all? Sorry was busy with work(good to hear this in these days!!isnt it??) and was not able to log on regularly.

I want to give you some good news. My mHawk(aka BOSS) won the M&Ms Hyd chapter "Challenge the Mileage Contest". BOSS returned an astounding 20.6 kmpl of diesel for a ride of 33 km in our regular traffic conditions, ofcourse without AC!! with a 4 adults & 2 children.
I was maintaining an average speed between 40-50kmph as the route is a good mix of traffic laden raods and a stretch of 10 km on the highway!!

I was surprised as my regular FE is 11.5kmpl with AC and ofcourse the vehicle is pushed to its decent speeds and braking etc.
Just wanted to share this with all our group scorpers!!
Old 4th June 2009, 11:07   #303
Senior - BHPian

Hi Surya!
Can't believe the number!
Maybe we need to improve our driving skills!
Old 4th June 2009, 11:40   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
I want to give you some good news. My mHawk(aka BOSS) won the M&Ms Hyd chapter "Challenge the Mileage Contest". BOSS returned an astounding 20.6 kmpl of diesel for a ride of 33 km in our regular traffic conditions, ofcourse without AC!! with a 4 adults & 2 children.
I was maintaining an average speed between 40-50kmph as the route is a good mix of traffic laden raods and a stretch of 10 km on the highway!!

I was surprised as my regular FE is 11.5kmpl with AC and ofcourse the vehicle is pushed to its decent speeds and braking etc.
Just wanted to share this with all our group scorpers!!
hi mate, welcome back.

20.6 kmpl in regular traffic....

man, you broke my record of 16.7 kmpl!

and by the way, why have you posted this in this thread? is your BOSS returning such good FE an "issue" for you? LOL...
Old 4th June 2009, 12:33   #305
Senior - BHPian

For a while now, I've noticed that warm/hot air finds its way into the cabin. The spots around/below the two edges of the dashboard is where this is most apparent (circled area in pic). So while driving, I can usually feel a bit of warm air next to my knees, as can the front passenger. This normally happens after a while, after driving for a while.
While this is not a big issue when the AC is on, it does cause a bit of discomfort when the AC is off. Plus, I am not ok with the idea of engine bay heat entering the cabin.
Has anyone faced this issue? There is a ventilator grille sort of thing at the sides of the dash (see arrow in pic). What are these for? Could the warm air be coming in through these? If not, where else?

Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-img_0669.jpg
Old 4th June 2009, 12:50   #306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.... My mHawk(aka BOSS) won the M&Ms Hyd chapter "Challenge the Mileage Contest". BOSS returned an astounding 20.6 kmpl of diesel for a ride of 33 km in our regular traffic conditions, ofcourse without AC!! with a 4 adults & 2 children.

Srikanth Garu, welcome back

This is amazing FE man.....make sure to turn up fo rthe next hyd meet and we can hear all about it then.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 15th February 2019 at 07:28. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
Old 4th June 2009, 12:54   #307
Distinguished - BHPian

It happens to me too when I start the car off - the first thing - during warm days. Not otherwise. Moreover the car is not completely air-proof at all. A lot of times I find the external smell seeping into the car (for example when you drive within a cloud of smoke - maybe a rubbish dump burning alongside the highway - and the smoke seeps into the car).
Old 4th June 2009, 13:22   #308
Senior - BHPian

Boss Fe

Hi Raj, Anup & Himanshu,

Thanks guys. Raj, no issue with FE at all.

Himanshu, will be there for our next TBHP meet at Hyd.

Anup ji, my experience is very little in front of super seniors like you. For the first time in my last 12 years of car driving, I was driving the car as it supposed to be driven.....probably!!
Old 4th June 2009, 13:31   #309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anup ji, my experience is very little in front of super seniors like you. For the first time in my last 12 years of car driving, I was driving the car as it supposed to be driven.....probably!!
...and there are these fossils who have never done it till date!
Behind the wheel, somehow, it's always a different kind of 'brain' that has its way! Kind of rev happy brain .....
Old 4th June 2009, 14:23   #310
Senior - BHPian

+1 on that. I had posted this earlier somewhere.....

Checked it with the ASC guys, they say there's no leak. I did the AGARBATHY test, lit a bunch of agarbatti sticks inside the cabin and closed the door shut, found the smoke and smell of Agarbatti's leaking thro. the rear door hinges, the middle door and through the qtr glass beadings. Wonder if it would be possible to plug these leaks ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
............... Moreover the car is not completely air-proof at all. A lot of times I find the external smell seeping into the car (for example when you drive within a cloud of smoke - maybe a rubbish dump burning alongside the highway - and the smoke seeps into the car).
I am re-posting an earlier question on the A/C, tech gurus please try to answer:

"What happens when you press HI and LO AC buttons on the scorp? Is it connected to the thermostat; the HI would cut off at lower temps and the LO would cut off at high temps? "
=======

Last edited by ramkya1 : 4th June 2009 at 14:27.
Old 4th June 2009, 16:48   #311
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
+
I am re-posting an earlier question on the A/C, tech gurus please try to answer:

"What happens when you press HI and LO AC buttons on the scorp? Is it connected to the thermostat; the HI would cut off at lower temps and the LO would cut off at high temps? "
=======
Not sure if this makes sense, but when the bloke who came to do a demo of the car with me at home - he said its always better to run the AC in HI mode, as it runs off the compressor. He blabbered something about the Lo which I did not catch.

Since I had had enough of him and wanted to get back to work I did not bug him more. What the heck does the low run on then? A couple of chipmunks running in a flywheel in the engine?
Old 4th June 2009, 19:08   #312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post

"What happens when you press HI and LO AC buttons on the scorp?
Quote:
Not sure if this makes sense, but when the bloke who came to do a demo of the car with me at home - he said its always better to run the AC in HI mode, as it runs off the compressor. He blabbered something about the Lo which I did not catch.
Does the AC compressor have some kind of capacity control?
The fact that the book advises to turn on at Lo and then switch to Hi and back to Lo before turn off seems to suggest capacity control in the compressor.
Old 4th June 2009, 19:20   #313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
For a while now, I've noticed that warm/hot air finds its way into the cabin. The spots around/below the two edges of the dashboard is where this is most apparent (circled area in pic). So while driving, I can usually feel a bit of warm air next to my knees, as can the front passenger. This normally happens after a while, after driving for a while.
Has anyone faced this issue? There is a ventilator grille sort of thing at the sides of the dash (see arrow in pic). What are these for? Could the warm air be coming in through these? If not, where else?
have you set your AC vent control to Top vents only?

secondly, thats not a ventilator grille. it was a slot for speakers. earlier scorpios used to have front speakers in that grille, newer ones have it on the doors. my 2003 non-crde scorpio has the speakers in that slot.

Quote:
It happens to me too when I start the car off - the first thing - during warm days. Not otherwise. Moreover the car is not completely air-proof at all. A lot of times I find the external smell seeping into the car (for example when you drive within a cloud of smoke - maybe a rubbish dump burning alongside the highway - and the smoke seeps into the car).
do you run the AC in re-circulation mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
...and there are these fossils who have never done it till date!
Behind the wheel, somehow, it's always a different kind of 'brain' that has its way! Kind of rev happy brain .....
me included!

Quote:
Since I had had enough of him and wanted to get back to work I did not bug him more. What the heck does the low run on then? A couple of chipmunks running in a flywheel in the engine?
always run it on LO as far as possible. i have read it improves efficiency. have experienced it too. when my AC coil had gone weak, for 2 weeks, i ran it on 3-HI & my FE went down by 1 kmpl on same roads & traffic conditions.
Old 5th June 2009, 13:28   #314
BHPian

Quote:
My mHawk(aka BOSS) won the M&Ms Hyd chapter "Challenge the Mileage Contest". BOSS returned an astounding 20.6 kmpl of diesel for a ride of 33 km in our regular traffic conditions, ofcourse without AC!! with a 4 adults & 2 children...
Woah! Thats some mileage. You must be a really good driver.

Say, what was the tyre pressure that you were running on. Did you happen to check them on the Race day??
Old 5th June 2009, 15:29   #315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
have you set your AC vent control to Top vents only?
Yup, that's the setting I use normally.
Quote:
secondly, thats not a ventilator grille. it was a slot for speakers. earlier scorpios used to have front speakers in that grille, newer ones have it on the doors. my 2003 non-crde scorpio has the speakers in that slot.
Yeah! Now that you mention it, I did dispose of those puny things when I upgraded the ICE.
Quote:
do you run the AC in re-circulation mode?
Even in this mode some outside smells/vapours find their way into the cabin. I intend to get this, along with the heated air issue, checked at M&M soon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks