Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2012, 13:09   #3091
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I feel there is a problem with the contact for the switch at the position 3. I dont see any other reason which can cause this.
I thing you are right, let me see if I can do a DIY this weekend or probably visit my neighbourhood garage (since the car is out of warranty anyways)
Old 3rd November 2012, 16:11   #3092
BANNED

***A question to all the CRDe Scorpio owners on the forum***.

I have this practice of gunning Hariya to his top speed one time during my trips to check his health and performance.

It goes without saying that this is done with utmost safety in mind and in practice and is by no means a show of power, speed or reckless driving

For the past 6 months or so, I ve observed a distinct drop in his top speed. He would nudge 160kmph earlier but now struggles to go beyond 140kmph even with patient prodding and hence I was beginning to wonder if there is something I need to get checked.

What is the top speed that your CRDe Scorpio attains?

OT: Apart from the drop in top speed, there are no other signs of trouble. No black smoke, initial pick up is normal, fuel efficiency has slightly decreased to around 11.25 at 100kmph on the highway...that is all I can think of.
Old 3rd November 2012, 17:13   #3093
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
***A question to all the CRDe Scorpio owners on the forum***.

I have this practice of gunning Hariya to his top speed one time during my trips to check his health and performance.

It goes without saying that this is done with utmost safety in mind and in practice and is by no means a show of power, speed or reckless driving

For the past 6 months or so, I ve observed a distinct drop in his top speed. He would nudge 160kmph earlier but now struggles to go beyond 140kmph even with patient prodding and hence I was beginning to wonder if there is something I need to get checked.

What is the top speed that your CRDe Scorpio attains?

OT: Apart from the drop in top speed, there are no other signs of trouble. No black smoke, initial pick up is normal, fuel efficiency has slightly decreased to around 11.25 at 100kmph on the highway...that is all I can think of.
How do you find overall pick-up now that you are observing this behavior?
How do you find your clutch? Hard/soft/mediocre/same as compared to when it used to cruise higher easily earlier? Any grunt heard/observed while using clutch or trying to accelerate?

Seems to me like signs of clutch wear and tear, get it checked and if required replaced. That could be the solution.

Last edited by parsh : 3rd November 2012 at 17:15.
Old 3rd November 2012, 17:53   #3094
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
How do you find overall pick-up now that you are observing this behavior?
How do you find your clutch? Hard/soft/mediocre/same as compared to when it used to cruise higher easily earlier? Any grunt heard/observed while using clutch or trying to accelerate?

Seems to me like signs of clutch wear and tear, get it checked and if required replaced. That could be the solution.
The overall pick up is smooth and there is no loss of power at lower speeds. The clutch is as soft as it has always been. No grunts whatsoever.
Old 3rd November 2012, 18:11   #3095
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The overall pick up is smooth and there is no loss of power at lower speeds. The clutch is as soft as it has always been. No grunts whatsoever.
Thats a bugger. You may be also knowing this, mostly if all else is well, the pick-up and FE drop can be due to the wear/hardening of the clutch as that is the critical component to transfer power in-between. Have you replaced your clutch anytime or whats the current clutch run upto so far? Do get it checked.
Old 3rd November 2012, 18:21   #3096
BANNED

Quote:
Have you replaced your clutch anytime or whats the current clutch run upto so far? Do get it checked.
The clutch is 75k kms old but since I hardly drive Hariya in the city and do not ride the clutch at all, I feel it still has life in it.
Also, a worn out clutch should have other symptoms, correct?
Old 3rd November 2012, 20:36   #3097
Senior - BHPian

Loss in top speed is mainly due to
. Wear and tear in the transmission train mostly in clutch and universal joints
. Drop in engine efficiency due to carbon accumulation
. In rare cases due to fuel starvation - the fuel injection pressure may be lower or the quantum of fuel delivery required for top speed is reduced. Check the fuel lines and check the pump full pressure delivery volume.
. Of course usual suspects like brake binding or clutch slipping may also be there.
Old 3rd November 2012, 20:48   #3098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The clutch is 75k kms old but since I hardly drive Hariya in the city and do not ride the clutch at all, I feel it still has life in it.
Also, a worn out clutch should have other symptoms, correct?
Majority of 75k city driving would have surely indicated clutch issue. But if you say hardly city driving, this is surely a bugger. As I know the symptoms would be bit of trouble in starting up, vibrations, more noise, lower FE and more importantly the most visible symptom being pick-up loss at higher speeds. That is why my thoughts are coming back to clutch again. Pure H/W driven vehicles can go on even beyond 1L in some cases as I have seen quite a few Innovas doing so. But also some Innovas needing clutch replacement even at 40k. So unless you think there is engine trouble, IMO the only other option could be clutch. Just to be sure, do get it checked thoroughly. But again, the only way to check clutch is rely on expert mechanic trained for Scorpio with a long drive of an hour or so with varied high speeds. It can be judged only by getting feel externally by driving. They are generally averse to open and check clutch unless it is to be replaced. Because they have to dismantle the gear box and waste labor in their language. General inspection of clutch plate may also not show any issues to our open eyes. But if indeed the issue is with clutch, then the fly wheel is at risk which will cost a bomb, even if one does with less FE and loss of pick-up.

I am no expert but rely on various knowledge gained so far, so just trying to reason on the same basis after seeing your query and seeing symptoms of clutch Pls do consult experts.
Old 3rd November 2012, 20:58   #3099
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Loss in top speed is mainly due to
There is no brake binding or clutch slippage. I intend to get the HP lines checked but the ASCs do not have the equipment required and hence I m looking for a reputed Bosch service centre at Bangalore.
If this doesn't lead to anything significant, I ll look at the UJs and their condition.
Do you feel that the EGR valve malfunction could be a reason for this?

Quote:
It can be judged only by getting feel externally by driving.
The vehicle has been driven by very experienced mechanics and none of them could feel anything wrong with the clutch thus far, hence the dilemma.
Old 3rd November 2012, 20:58   #3100
BHPian

Just back from a one day trip of 430 kms. Just when returned home, ignition off, then make the ignition to ON position without cranking the engine, vrmmmmm kind of unusual sound starts where i can feel air filter vibration and surrounding parts. It lasts for around 20 seconds and slowly goes off. To experience this again, i need to crankthe engine and then ignition off and then try.

Mhawk LX 6100 kms. Anyone has any advice?

Last edited by SharathScorp : 3rd November 2012 at 20:59.
Old 3rd November 2012, 21:08   #3101
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharathScorp View Post
Just back from a one day trip of 430 kms. Just when returned home, ignition off, then make the ignition to ON position without cranking the engine, vrmmmmm kind of unusual sound starts where i can feel air filter vibration and surrounding parts.
Is the engine still warm? If so, it could be the fan for all you know.
Else, the ECU is known to hum like a mosquito in the cabin and can be heard when the environment is very silent.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2012, 21:15   #3102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath
Is the engine still warm? If so, it could be the fan for all you know.
Else, the ECU is known to hum like a mosquito in the cabin and can be heard when the environment is very silent.
Yes, Engine was warm, Devdath. I just dint think about fan noise as possibility as it was a bit awkward vibration and noise. This was easily noticeable to all mu family members inside cabin. And as i said, it occurred once i keep ignition in ON position after i switch off engine from running. And it lasts for around 20 secs. Once it happens and if i try to reproduce, it doesnt come. I need to start engine, switch off and again it comes once.
Old 4th November 2012, 18:55   #3103
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya

Thanks for your input.
So this means in both modes AC HI & LO, the temperature controller knob is bypassed ? I doubt. Then why would M&M give the knob at all - only for switching from cooling to Heating?

For the engines, the Thar has a CRDe but the cubic capacity is 2498cc. Does that mean its equipped with MEagle?
In any HVAC units, the temperature is achieved by mixing cold air and hot air from heater! The temperature control knob controls the flap whose position decides how much will mix. When you turn the knob towards red, it is directing more hot air to mix making the temperature to rise. Hence, under such circumstances, it is wise to use the AC LO switch to save on fuel. This is not specific to any OEM. However, some vehicles have the smart AC LO switch which saves fuel..

The Bolero or Thar does not have HVAC system and hence has a temperature cotrol knob.

Yes mEagle and Thar CRDe are mechanically same.

Last edited by aah78 : 11th November 2012 at 23:57. Reason: Typo corrected. "blue" changed to "red" on request.
Old 5th November 2012, 17:10   #3104
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Past the recent rains/cyclone, I see water in my carpet. This is in the driver side foot well.
I found the carpet wet from the accelerator pedal till the window sill. lifted the mat and found that the water has been absorbed by the carpet.

Took it to the service center to understand the root cause of water entering the footwell area, They claim to say that the water could be from the cooling coil pipe. The water is due to condensation of the AC pipe and is dripping inside.

I'm still not convinced. The Service technician covered the pipe with the thermocol and asked to bring back if it reoccurs. Need your help/suggestions.

Thx,
Karthik

EDIT: Does anyone have experience with MPL at OMR in Chennai? The Service center does not have much space and I'm worried about giving it to service.

Last edited by Jack Sparrow : 5th November 2012 at 17:19.
Old 5th November 2012, 21:37   #3105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Took it to the service center to understand the root cause of water entering the footwell area, They claim to say that the water could be from the cooling coil pipe. The water is due to condensation of the AC pipe and is dripping inside.
Hi Karthik,

Most of such cases in Scorpio, this is true. The cooling coil is the culprit and a simple foam pads around the tubing does the trick! I had it for both the rides I owned and the second one was addressed before it sprang a surprise on me

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks