Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2012, 21:11   #3046
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassics45 View Post
...car charger...
You mean the 220V AC converter/inverter, don't you? Been using Belkin for the last 1.5 years, never had a problem. Maybe you need to have the cigarette lighter socket(s) checked/replaced?
Old 21st September 2012, 21:25   #3047
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
You mean the 220V AC converter/inverter, don't you? Been using Belkin for the last 1.5 years, never had a problem. Maybe you need to have the cigarette lighter socket(s) checked/replaced?
Yeah, i have belkin mini charger and couple of others but in both front and back charger dont charge properly. its always has the problem of loose contact.
Old 21st September 2012, 21:45   #3048
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassics45 View Post
...problem of loose contact.
Change the cigarette lighter sockets. Costs Rs.150-200 each, including the lighters. A quick job that any car accessory shop will do for you.
Old 22nd September 2012, 10:27   #3049
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
you are actually expecting the A.S.S. guys to know how to check a battery?
How old is the battery?

In any case, put on the multimeter to a running engine, and see if you get 14V

If you are getting ~ 14V, then switch off engine, and see the voltage. It should be around 12V

Then crank the engine. If voltage falls below 9.5 or so, it means the battery cell may have gone weak.
The battery is as old as the car (4 yrs completed on 19th Sep ).
The issue seems to have been resolved on its own, and the car starts at half the crank. Probably too much rain and the care being idle for almost a week may have been the reason.

Anyhow, I will still check as per your suggestion since I plan to use the car for at least one more year (in the hope that XUV niggles get ironed out during this time or I have enough moolah to go for the Fortuner since Duster is out after having a personal look at it)
Old 22nd September 2012, 18:46   #3050
BHPian

Just a heads up, as my battery grew weaker in the CRDe the starting crank duration kept increasing, until one day the engine refused to crank (at all). A service rep had also informed me about this saying that if the voltage were to drop below a specified voltage the engine would just not crank at all as there was a cut off incorporated.
I had changed the battery around the 4 year Mark.
Off Roadie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2012, 23:27   #3051
BHPian

I have a Scorpio CRDe 2006 model which has done around 73k kms. It's time for its service now. I want to switch to synthetic oil. I've heard that synthetic oil from Mobil 1 is really good. Any other suggestions? Also, my car runs on an RD box. So any speceific things I should look out for? I will mostly be changing the oils (Engine, gearbox, power steering etc) at my local mech.

Also, since the last 1k kms or so, the suspension has started squeaking. Has it aged or will greasing it rectify it?
Old 27th September 2012, 23:05   #3052
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_Octane View Post
I want to switch to synthetic oil. I've heard that synthetic oil from Mobil 1 is really good. Any other suggestions? Also, my car runs on an RD box. So any speceific things I should look out for? I will mostly be changing the oils (Engine, gearbox, power steering etc) at my local mech.

Also, since the last 1k kms or so, the suspension has started squeaking. Has it aged or will greasing it rectify it?
Mobil 1 or Shell Helix Ultra are obviously good oils, but somehow the cost-benefit ratio has not rubbed off on me yet. Suggest you try the new Mahindra Maximile FEO semi-synthetic oil, keeping the same drain interval as you were using for regular mineral oil. Else you could try Shell Helix HX7 Diesel, for better performance.

Suspension squeak is easily sorted out in Scorpios with a change of rubber bushes all round, including those of the antiroll bars, and the damper bush kits.

A point to note for everyone: The lower mounting bush of my front dampers wore out until I was almost on metal. ASC said the bush is not available as a spare, and I would have to replace the whole damper as a solution (though dampers are working perfectly fine). My FNG found that a similar bush for the Premier Padmini's damper mounts is readily available, and is a perfect fit for the Scorpio's damper (lower end). Cost me practically nothing to get the bushes replaced, time taken about 20 minutes each side.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2012, 07:00   #3053
BHPian

Quote:
I have a Scorpio CRDe 2006 model which has done around 73k kms. It's time for its service now. I want to switch to synthetic oil. I've heard that synthetic oil from Mobil 1 is really good. Any other suggestions? Also, my car runs on an RD box. So any speceific things I should look out for? I will mostly be changing the oils (Engine, gearbox, power steering etc) at my local mech.

The synthetic oil that meets the specs needed for your CRDe engine is Mobil Delvac 1 (API CI-4 Plus/SAE 5W-40) and is widely available.Please refrain from using Mobil 1 (which is CF/CF-4) OR Shell Helix Ultra (again CF-4 I think) as they don't meet the requirements for your engine.
Old 28th September 2012, 12:09   #3054

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
The leak, more likely than not, is from some hose connecting the power steering fluid reservoir to its pump and should be easy and cheap to fix. Don't worry.
Hello guys- sorry for the late feedback. I sent the Scorpio over to the Sterling Gurgaon workshop, and got the hose replaced. However, the SA said that the leak will continue and that the whole PS assembly has to be replaced, which will cost around 22K !

So, the leak continues and I continue to replenish the Power Steering fluid after some interval (2-3 weeks). Is their some inexpensive solution to this problem? Is there some other workshop/FNG in NCR that I can take it to for repair? Should I bite the bullet take it to the Mahindra Workshop for repair @ Rs 22K? I may add that I intend to dispose the car in the next six-eight months.

Lastly, I hope that my practice of waiting for the fluid to drain and then replenishing it is not going to cause a problem in running, esp a safety related issue, as the vehicle is used daily for about 70km.

Will be grateful for any help/insights etc from the knowledgeable experts out here. Thanks in advance !
Old 28th September 2012, 17:28   #3055
BHPian

Has the source of the leakage been identified as yet, we can only give suggestions once we know where the leakage is.
Old 28th September 2012, 23:54   #3056
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post

Suspension squeak is easily sorted out in Scorpios with a change of rubber bushes all round, including those of the antiroll bars, and the damper bush kits.
Thank you for your suggestions. Any idea how much it would cost to change all the bushes? Will any mechanic be able to do it or do I have to take it to the A.S.S? This is the first time it's happened so have no clue here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2399 View Post
The synthetic oil that meets the specs needed for your CRDe engine is Mobil Delvac 1 (API CI-4 Plus/SAE 5W-40) and is widely available.Please refrain from using Mobil 1 (which is CF/CF-4) OR Shell Helix Ultra (again CF-4 I think) as they don't meet the requirements for your engine.
Thank you for your inputs. I'll keep these things in mind.
Old 29th September 2012, 10:08   #3057
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for your suggestions. Any idea how much it would cost to change all the bushes? Will any mechanic be able to do it or do I have to take it to the A.S.S? This is the first time it's happened so have no clue here.
With a good independent mechanic, it should cost around 4-5k for a full set (though usually a full set is not required, only worn-out ones are replaced), and around 9-10k if the job is done at ASC. ASCs do the job faster, since they have the full inventory of bushes and know exactly which ones to check and replace (easier to check and replace too, when the car is up on a lift), while for an FNG it is a matter of locating & removing the affected component, taking it to a lathe shop to have the bushes press-fitted, and then replacing the suspension part back in position.

Twice the time or twice the money, your choice.
Old 29th September 2012, 17:51   #3058
BHPian

Thanks again! Appreciate it
Old 4th October 2012, 13:20   #3059
BHPian

OT: Had the first share of the damage to my car yesterday. A 2 wheeler moron did not notice me standing in the signal and hit my LHS tail lamp and it broke. Now the MASS cost is 1700 for a single side(Just for the red light and reverse lamp cluster). Is it better to change them at the MASS or look for local parts? My car is just 3 months old and have driven it for 1300 kms.... Feels bad..

Any contacts for a local shop where I can get it will me of much help. Let me know.

Thx,
Karthik
Old 4th October 2012, 13:35   #3060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm_1973 View Post
Hello guys- SA said that the leak will continue and that the whole PS assembly has to be replaced, which will cost around 22K !
Haven't owned a scorp but similar thing happened to my Indica (now sold). The power steering rack was leaking and the TASSC advised to replace the the entire setup worth Rs. 18k. For an old problematic car, I was in no mood for the replacement and kept it running by adding PS oil everyday. Showed the the problem to many FNG's but most of them raised their hands. One of them said that he could check for the part from a donor vehicle. These parts are taken off from a totaled car and sold off in junk market/kabaadi. There is a big market in Dhanbad and he finally got the PS rack & pinion in Rs. 1600/-. Brought the same and installed it and the PS problem never occurred.

You can check for the Scorpio PS system with several Garages and Junk Dealers. May be they can find a solution similar to that mechanic of mine.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks