Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2012, 07:38   #3031
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Roadie View Post
.... but don't loose your cool and just keep hounding as many people as you can ...
Is that what you spend ten lakh rupees for?!
Let's face it - our Indian companies simply cannot get their act together.
The best policy is not to buy these cars and tell your friends to stay away from them!
anupmathur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2012, 09:52   #3032
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Roadie View Post
Used the key manually until the next service after which it was rectified (took 2 visits).
Hey OffRoadie,

How did it get rectified? I can then educate these useless morons at mahindra as well.

I know it is the service center, but I will keep sayin Mahindra. I dont think I need to distinguish between the company and their A.S.S.
Old 24th August 2012, 17:31   #3033
BHPian

@ Mathur Saab, was quite helpless, just had 2 4wd options available. Chose the Scorpio over the Safari. Our job gives us the liberty to hound the service centre guys and I have the patience to deal with the niggles. I still believe that Mahindra is a tad better.

@AK916
Sorry buddy the first visit when it was rectified I was just told that the buttons had gone bad and it was rectified. Rejoined a ship after that when it reoccured and my father took it up with them, he does not bother with the details as much as I do. I wish I could have helped further.
Old 24th August 2012, 18:22   #3034
BHPian

Hello All,

An update.

As I had said earlier, the guys at Sireesh automobiles told they will come home with the OBD to get it fixed. They turned up today at around 3.45 pm. I explained the issue to them and was pleasantly surprised when he said he will check it. I was half expecting that they would want to tow the car but glad they did not.

So the door was opened with the key after both remotes failed to unlock the car. The bonnet was raised to check if power supply was ok (I guess). Then the mechanic was trying to connect the serial cable to the ecu port and viola.. his hand brushed the underside of the steering column (where all the fuses are) and the alarm went off.

Now i pressed unlock on the remote key and the alarm went away. The immobilizer was disabled and I was able to start the car.
So the guy immediately opened the said fuse box (under the steering column) and Central locking fuse # 2 was bent and not allowing the circuit to complete. I carry spare fuses of all rating in the glove box but I ran out of 5 amp fuses. I gave him a 10a one and he replaced that. I will get it changed on monday to a 5amp fuse.

So this was the issue. A piddly fuse. One service center at pollachi and India garage at Hoody were not able to diagnose this problem after I left the car there for a day and a half. I specifically told them to check the wiring on the central locking and they dint bother (which is quite apparent now)

Warning to all scorpio buyers: If you are buying a 10 lac rupee scorpio, invest another 4 lacs and get a degree in automobile engineering. You will not regret it much. This is cos the fault diagnosis is hit and run with most of these guys. I was extremely lucky that the guys from Sireesh auto was someone who used his brain. Thanks Sireesh auto!!

Here is a picture
Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-wp_000506.jpg

Last edited by ak916 : 24th August 2012 at 18:24.
ak916 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2012, 13:55   #3035
BHPian

I have my own doubts about Scorpio , these are based on news paper reports.
Mahindra tried for last 3-4 years to export Scorpio to US markets, finally gave up because of inability ( or unviability, may be ) to comply with the US regulatory norms. It is common knowledge that Govt. norms are all about basic passenger safety. Having known this that this vehicle cannot even comply with basic safety requirements ( leave aside exceeding it ) how we Indians still buy this car and that too so high sales volume?
Indian law requirement may be less severe but shouldn't a car which is above Rs.10L voluntarily comply with highest available norms in the world ?
Old 25th August 2012, 17:35   #3036
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkingsley View Post
FEO IS tested and recommended for 20000 kms drain interval. Use it along with Maximile Syntec F2 transmission oil and Maximile Elite axle oil - it is expected to give fuel efficiency benefit. Semi-synthetic is a relative term and depends on the additives also.
I would request to kindly share your experiences of using FEO.
thanks,
Old 25th August 2012, 19:45   #3037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramesh View Post
Indian law requirement may be less severe but shouldn't a car which is above Rs.10L voluntarily comply with highest available norms in the world ?
Ramesh.. Other than passenger safety, they have to comply with pedestrian safety requirements too and this car might fail on that aspect, I think.
Old 26th August 2012, 10:46   #3038
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
The best policy is not to buy these cars and tell your friends to stay away from them!
But the Scorpio still sells, and sells very well. Why? Because when compared to its competition, it is reliable, has a good service network and offers a lot of bang for the buck.
Heck, even the 16 lac INR XUV sells like hot cakes inspite of having niggles. Let us face it, in a market which is as price conscious as ours M&M knows exactly how to position and sell its products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramesh View Post
Ideally yes, but let us understand that even vehicles like the Fortuner have miserably failed vehicle safety tests like the "elk test" for example and are sales blockbusters at 28lac INR.

As long as the basic mechanicals of the Scorpio, or any other vehicle for that matter are reliable, it will sell.
Old 26th August 2012, 20:10   #3039
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
But the Scorpio still sells, and sells very well. Why? Because when compared to its competition, it is reliable, has a good service network and offers a lot of bang for the buck.
Heck, even the 16 lac INR XUV sells like hot cakes inspite of having niggles. Let us face it, in a market which is as price conscious as ours M&M knows exactly how to position and sell its products.

Ideally yes, but let us understand that even vehicles like the Fortuner have miserably failed vehicle safety tests like the "elk test" for example and are sales blockbusters at 28lac INR.

As long as the basic mechanicals of the Scorpio, or any other vehicle for that matter are reliable, it will sell.
+1
What matters at the lower end of the market is the price and reliability. Safety both personal as well as the other road users comes a poor second. Unless the legislature intervenes and makes Airbags compulsory for all cars and ABS for the heavier vehicles, the users will normally ignore these features, nor will they take the crash worthiness seriously.

I do not think that the safety tests carried out abroad ever include grossly overloaded vehicle, prevalent in rural India (M800 carrying 10 and an Ambassador 20 people). Nor have they considered potholes, craters and cows & villagers daring from the sides.
Old 2nd September 2012, 11:46   #3040
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav
I would request to kindly share your experiences of using FEO.
thanks,
Could sense a half a km improvement in mileage as well as smoother gear shifts in my 2010 Scorpio.
Old 6th September 2012, 18:48   #3041
Senior - BHPian

I am noticing that for the last few days the engine is not cranking smoothly, though it take only a single turn but the engine does not fire up immediately. The battery and other things were checked a couple of months ago during the routine service and nothing seemed to be wrong.

What could be the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak916 View Post
So the door was opened with the key after both remotes failed to unlock the car. The bonnet was raised to check if power supply was ok (I guess). Then the mechanic was trying to connect the serial cable to the ecu port and viola.. his hand brushed the underside of the steering column (where all the fuses are) and the alarm went off.

So this was the issue. A piddly fuse. One service center at pollachi and India garage at Hoody were not able to diagnose this problem after I left the car there for a day and a half. I specifically told them to check the wiring on the central locking and they dint bother (which is quite apparent now)
I had faced exactly the same issue some 4 years back when I had recent bought my Scorpio. I left office around 11:30 PM and it was raining really heavily, i reached the car, tried to open it with the remote, nothing happened. I opened the car manualy and it would not crank.

I called up the M&M helpline they gave me the number of the nearest dealer, I call them up, and get the reply "Sorry sir, no service available at this time" I had to wade through almost a km. before I could hail an auto and reach home at 1 AM.

But unlike your case, next morning the people from the Dealer turned up (without reminder as I had left my name and number) and did not take much time to diagnose the issue and change the fuse.

So instead of getting an Engineering Degree , I now use the experience to immediately check all the fuses first if anything electronic / electrical wrong now.

Last edited by m_upreti : 6th September 2012 at 18:50.
Old 17th September 2012, 17:57   #3042
Senior - BHPian

Anyone knows how to set the clock timings on the Mhawk dash? It's ticking slow by 15 mts, can't find my manual and don't want to waste time going to ASC, too far. As it's a do it yourself, I just need the sequence of pressing the two knobs on the dash. Thanks in advance.

Ramky
=====
Old 17th September 2012, 18:27   #3043
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
I am noticing that for the last few days the engine is not cranking smoothly, though it take only a single turn but the engine does not fire up immediately. The battery and other things were checked a couple of months ago during the routine service and nothing seemed to be wrong..
you are actually expecting the A.S.S. guys to know how to check a battery?
How old is the battery?

In any case, put on the multimeter to a running engine, and see if you get 14V

If you are getting ~ 14V, then switch off engine, and see the voltage. It should be around 12V

Then crank the engine. If voltage falls below 9.5 or so, it means the battery cell may have gone weak.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2012, 18:50   #3044
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Anyone knows how to set the clock timings on the Mhawk dash? It's ticking slow by 15 mts, can't find my manual and don't want to waste time going to ASC, too far. As it's a do it yourself, I just need the sequence of pressing the two knobs on the dash. Thanks in advance.

Ramky
=====
Engine off, but ignition on. Wait till the TPMS check completes. Press left button for 4-5 seconds. Clock display (HH) will blink. Release left button & short press right button to set (HH-hours). Short press left button to make the (MM-minutes) display blink. Short press right button to set (MM). Wait 20 sec for the blinking to stop on its own. Start car after that.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 17th September 2012 at 18:52.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2012, 14:48   #3045
BHPian

Can anyone help me to find the right car charger for scorpio? i tried a few including belkin micro charger but they all dont fit properly and falls off while driving.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks