Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2012, 12:04   #2986
BANNED

Break failure - Happened second ! Help please.

Ok, This is the second time I face situation, its weird, frustrating and the cause is unknown.

Within this last 3 months, a sudden break failure happened the second time. When I drive back home, all of a sudden, when I try to reduce speed at a junction, when I pressed, I realized the break pedal went lifeless. Fortunately the road was clear, I was at a speed of 50 KM, and reduced the speed further, the after running few hundred meters I found there was a little life in the break, and it helped me to halt. After a complete halt, I again found the break is completely dead.

This was only till I restart the engine. When I stopped, and restarted the engine, I found the life has come back to the break and it was normal and as usual.

I totally do not understand what happened. Last time, when I explained this to A.S.S they couldn't understand it fully - they found everything was very fine. But I am 100% sure that there is something very wrong with the vechicle, and I do not want to take chances again. After this inceident, I lost my peace of mind, and I couldn't drive normally.

Is this any particular reason for this "temporary-death" of break? What should I check now?, as I do not want A.S.S say again, that everything is normal and I am only a paranoid. Can experts help?

Thanks a lot in advance.

PS: This was my first post regarding the same issue: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2714615

Last edited by agbenny : 1st August 2012 at 12:20.
Old 1st August 2012, 14:12   #2987
BANNED

Re: Break failure - Happened second ! Help please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
Is this any particular reason for this "temporary-death" of break? What should I check now?, as I do not want A.S.S say again, that everything is normal and I am only a paranoid.
Benny, your brake system has a leak somewhere and loses pressure over time. When you turn off the engine, the leak is arrested, and when you crank the engine back to life, that 'arrest' helps to hold the pressure for sometime.

But when there is continuous pressure, it begins to leak again. Get all your brake components like the linings and cylinders checked thoroughly, this problem is dangerous.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2012, 15:30   #2988
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Benny, your brake system has a leak somewhere and loses pressure over time. When you turn off the engine, the leak is arrested, and when you crank the engine back to life, that 'arrest' helps to hold the pressure for sometime.

But when there is continuous pressure, it begins to leak again. Get all your brake components like the linings and cylinders checked thoroughly, this problem is dangerous.
I will do.
I have asked local A.S.S service manager, they are yet to come and pick up the vehicle.
I also wrote to Mahindra customer care, no response from them yet. I know they do not have an acknowledgement system which generates auto acknowledgement with tracking number. (which even a tiny local stores does now a days). I remember this was never changed since 2009 when I wrote them 2-3 times. I do not know if they take care the complaints at their level or simply escalate to A.S.S.

Anyhow, when they do the service, I will ask them to check. But Is there any why I can check assure that they fixed the issue after the service? Also, do A.S.S provide "what has been done" as a written record? As the problem is very serious, I would like to ensure it.
Old 1st August 2012, 15:38   #2989
BANNED

Quote:
Anyhow, when they do the service, I will ask them to check. But Is there any why I can check assure that they fixed the issue after the service? Also, do A.S.S provide "what has been done" as a written record? As the problem is very serious, I would like to ensure it.
I would recommend your personal presence at the ASC with your vehicle when it goes there so that you know what has been done. Also, follow a process of elimination when troubleshooting such "unreplicable" issues.

With an experienced technician, you should be able to solve it.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2012, 15:55   #2990
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

The leakage issue can also be checked by checking the brake oil level.
In the event of a minor leak pumping the brakes vigorously will help in generating braking pressure.
If you have ABS, this could also be an ABS issue that corrects itself on restarting the car.
Off Roadie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2012, 16:40   #2991
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok, This is the second time I face situation, its weird, frustrating and the cause is unknown.

Within this last 3 months, a sudden break failure happened the second time. When I drive back home, all of a sudden, when I try to reduce speed at a junction, when I pressed, I realized the break pedal went lifeless. Fortunately the road was clear, I was at a speed of 50 KM, and reduced the speed further, the after running few hundred meters I found there was a little life in the break, and it helped me to halt. After a complete halt, I again found the break is completely dead.
I am not an scorpio owner, but on the other hand, when you encounter such brake failure again, try not to panic, check your RVM's, use engine braking to slow the vehicle down(switch on your hazards), and try to steer to the side of the road and use handbrakes for emergency situations/to come to a full complete stop.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-brakes-6.html

Drive safe! Wish your A.S.S rectifies your problem asap.
AlphaKilo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2012, 21:16   #2992
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I totally do not understand what happened. Last time, when I explained this to A.S.S they couldn't understand it fully - they found everything was very fine. But I am 100% sure that there is something very wrong with the vechicle, and I do not want to take chances again. After this inceident, I lost my peace of mind, and I couldn't drive normally.
hi Benny,

My Scorpio had a similiar issue and it was rooted to be the problem with the vaccum chamber. They replaced that black box with a new one and it was fine after that. But do that, after eliminating other defects.
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2012, 10:10   #2993
BANNED

Today I have given the vehicle to inspect and fix the issue, I have also given a letter to the Service Manager, with the summery of what team-bhp friends recommend to check, as,

1. Vacuum chamber
2. Brake oil leakage and level check
3. ABS
4. Booster system of the brakes, Master Cylinder, Vacuum pump & vacuum pipes etc

I will keep you posted after I get the vehicle back.

BTW, I got the response late evening from Mahindra Customer care stating that the issue has been escalated to Tamilnadu Service head in Chennai. Also, the local dealer CAI Mahindra understood the seriousness and promised to fix the issue to my satisfaction.
Old 2nd August 2012, 10:50   #2994
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today I have given the vehicle to inspect and fix the issue, I have also given a letter to the Service Manager, with the summery of what team-bhp friends recommend to check, as,

1. Vacuum chamber
2. Brake oil leakage and level check
3. ABS
4. Booster system of the brakes, Master Cylinder, Vacuum pump & vacuum pipes etc
From your description to me it looks like a MC failure. If its a Master Cylinder failure then the pedal goes all the way to the floor with little or no braking power.

The refresh models of the MHawk has a history with the brakes. My advise , do a thorough road test for about 30-40kms and tell them you need a weeks time to check and let know if the problem has ceased.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2012, 11:04   #2995
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
From your description to me it looks like a MC failure. If its a Master Cylinder failure then the pedal goes all the way to the floor with little or no braking power.

The refresh models of the MHawk has a history with the brakes. My advise , do a thorough road test for about 30-40kms and tell them you need a weeks time to check and let know if the problem has ceased.
I will go do the test drive and take the vehicle. But do you say that I need to tell them that I will take a week of test drive and give them feedback? I can do that very well.
Old 2nd August 2012, 11:10   #2996
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But do you say that I need to tell them that I will take a week of test drive and give them feedback? I can do that very well.
Yeah exactly what I meant in my previous post.The Scorpio is notorious for its self healing tactics and hence suggested that you drive around for a week before you confirm to M&M or the service center that the problem has ceased.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2012, 12:50   #2997
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Yeah exactly what I meant in my previous post.The Scorpio is notorious for its self healing tactics and hence suggested that you drive around for a week before you confirm to M&M or the service center that the problem has ceased.
I agree, Scorpio is notorious for its self healing tactics!!. I've realized it at several occasions. I will do my feedback to M&M only after testing it well.
Old 2nd August 2012, 13:47   #2998
Senior - BHPian

Faced another issue with the Scorpio a couple of days back.

I started normally for office in the morning, and about a km from my place I got a call from a friend who wanted a drop on the way, so I had to reverse about 500 mts since there was no U turn in close vicinity (early morning no traffic). I picked him up and suddenly dense blue smoke with burning smell
came from the AC vents (only the fan was on), I immediately switched the fan off and shut down the engine.

After a couple of minutes I restarted, everything back to normal, all electronics working, no smoke, a bit of residual burning smell though.

I checked the bonnet & whatever I could see by removing the glove compartment nothing is seen as burnt. I have spoken to the A.S.S. and would be giving the car over the weekend for opening the dashboard and getting a thorough checkup.

Any ideas what could have happened (to add there was some water leakage in the car some time back on account of leakage from the glass / antenna).
Old 2nd August 2012, 16:50   #2999
BHPian

@ag benny & m upreti
Do let us know the final diagnosis,

the AC thing is really strange, the burning smell, was it rubber, could also have been some wet insulating foam and live wire shorting issue. Post the fire the moisture may have evaporated and whatever was shorting may be ok.
Old 2nd August 2012, 17:03   #3000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Roadie View Post
@ag benny & m upreti
Do let us know the final diagnosis,

the AC thing is really strange, the burning smell, was it rubber, could also have been some wet insulating foam and live wire shorting issue. Post the fire the moisture may have evaporated and whatever was shorting may be ok.
You could be right, it was clearly electrical, as I could smell insulation and wires (lots of experience in shorting thing since childhood indulgance in electronics ).
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks