Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2009, 15:22   #286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR View Post
SCORPIO A/c issue....
Hi Pradeep,

I own a 2003 Model Scorpio. The sound that you are hearing is of the AC Cutout Switch located Under the Glove Compartment. It was there in older Scorpios, and is pretty annoying. It goes like - Tak Tak
I know this because once this switch in my Scorpio failed on the Highway, and the Compressor wouldnt come on. I took it to a Service Center in Karnal, they didnt have the switch so they removed the faulty switch and put a jump cable to make the AC always on. In Delhi i got a new Switch Installed and it cost me around Rs 700.

Styler

Last edited by khan_sultan : 15th February 2019 at 07:26. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
Old 31st May 2009, 16:42   #287
BHPian

Hi All,

I have a 2003 Non CRDE, Chain Drive Scorpio DX, Done around 59,000/= Km. I am planning to give it for the 60,000 Service tomorrow. The Vehicle has been running without any issues at all, except for some minor regular service issues. I have driven it to LEH twice, and it's been in 3 feet of snow. The Engine is running smoother than ever before and I think my 2.6 Non-CRDE has more power than the CRDE or the Mhawk .

I initially used to get it serviced from the A S S but lately my local mechanics who are very good (A Tamil Mechanic and a Sardar Electrician team, Trained in Nissan, Japan) are doing all the regular jobs for me.

I have listed the following issues for this service. I would appreciate advice from fellow users about these.

1. There is a slight sound like Khach Khach from the front left. It would come in pot-holes, and when the Scorpio takes off in first gear, or when i brake it happens with this slight Khach Sound. Even when the vehicle is on an incline, with the Engine Off and it moves and I brake a slight Khach sound comes. My guess is it is some dry bush or something in the front Right Suspension. Any Ideas ?

2. Today suddenlt while driving, I Once felt that the Brake Pedal Sank in, and the vehicle braked on the second pump of the pedal. It had me scared and I drove back slowly. Once home I checked the Brake Oil and It was full, and I didn't see any leaks.

As with most Scorpios in those years, My Scorpio's Brake Booster and Master Cylender were replaced during Warranty. A Mahindra Engineer had admitted that time that there was a manufacturing defect in the Brake Boosters of Scorpios that time.

This time I don't think it is a brake booster thing, because when the brake booster fails the pedal goes hard (Like when the engine is off) , but the pedal was soft but it just sank in with the vehicle not braking. Any Ideas on this ?

3. I want to get the AC Checked and Gas Recharged. What would be the correct preasuse of the AC Gas ?

Also One issue that has been there from the very begining. The rear AC vents blow cold air only when the AC Cooling Knob is set to maximum cooling. If it is slightly less than the extreme Anticlockwise Position, the front Vents blow out cold air, while the rear ones blow out warm air. Has anybody with a 2003 or around Scorpio noticed this.

A knowledgable AC mechanic told me that we should always leave the Cooling knob to full cooling, as this is not a thermostat switch but it's a Curtain system where the cool air is mixed with warm air if it is set to less than full cooling. Later model scorpios have a thermostat to control the temperature I suppose. Anybody can shed some light on this.

3. Both the rear doors are making some sound when driving over 60, I guess the Door Locks are locking a little loose with a khat sound, and they need to be adjusted.

4. My Clutch pedal occasionally makes a slight grunt like sound when releasing. Would it be the Spring or the bush ....?? (BTW my clutch cylenders were changed by my local mechanics more than a year back, and they did a good job)

4. Has anybody got a teflon coating done over the paint, is it advisable?

I am confused if I should give the car to the A S S or to my trustworth local mechanics. Although the local mechanics are very good it's difficult for them to get the spares sometimes. The only time they goofed up was when they bought Brake Pads which were not good and started heating up the brake cylenders on downhill drives. I got those replaced from original ones bought from the A S S.

I would really appreciate if some of the seniors here.

Styler
Old 31st May 2009, 18:49   #288
BHPian

Update to my long query.

1. Sorry I mentioned wrongly the Khach Khach sound is from the front Right (Driver Side) not the front Left as mentioned earlier.

2. I test drove for the brakes, and they seem to be all fine now. Maybe it was a freak psychological thing that happened in the morning when I felt the Pedal just sunk in.
the Brake oil is full. Still I will get the brake lines checked for any leaks. Cant take any chances as I drive to Leh on the 12th of June.
Old 1st June 2009, 09:51   #289
Senior - BHPian

Styler, you've diagnosed the problems quite well already! You hardly need much help with them.
That Khach sound is almost certainly some bush running dry, or the shock.

As for the rear AC vents, what position are you keeping the vent control knob in?
The 'thermostat' knob mixes warm air with cold even in the newer Scorpios.

I have no clue about the sound from the clutch as I have never encountered such a sound yet in my Scorpio.

I had got this 'teflon' coating done on my car at the time of purchase (August 2006). Then one or two follow-up treatments at subsequent services. All I can say is that no adverse effects have been noticed, LOL!

I found it quite interesting that you feel that your non-CRDe is more powerful than the CRDe or the mHawk!
Without going into the numbers game, I will say it is very likely, in some ways, that the non-CRDe feels more powerful. It has that typical diesel lugging ability which these CRDes lack.
If the old Scorpio does an incline in second gear at a slow speed, the CRDe will require first gear for the same.
Old 1st June 2009, 10:37   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
.. Has anybody got a teflon coating done over the paint, is it advisable?....
1) i have done the teflon coating + underbody anti rust coating on my scorpio. not much difference felt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
I found it quite interesting that you feel that your non-CRDe is more powerful than the CRDe or the mHawk!
Without going into the numbers game, I will say it is very likely, in some ways, that the non-CRDe feels more powerful. It has that typical diesel lugging ability which these CRDes lack.
If the old Scorpio does an incline in second gear at a slow speed, the CRDe will require first gear for the same.
to that...

Last edited by khan_sultan : 15th February 2019 at 07:27. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
Old 1st June 2009, 10:53   #291
Distinguished - BHPian

Its just that the torque kicks in much lower in the RPM band. Can someone post the torque figures at the RPM level for the different classes of Scorpio's over the years? Will be interesting.

BTW, the DI Turbo on the Bolero has by the far the best lugging capability of economical modern engines still being sold. Some 19 kgs of torque at 1400 RPM if I am not mistaken. Evil!
Old 1st June 2009, 11:03   #292

SZ2600 Heating Issues.

Kindly specify the make & model of your scorpio. let me know if it is a SZ2600 Engine. If so your guage is normal. Check the degassing tank for coolant. Open the Radiator Outlet and check the water.
Old 1st June 2009, 11:09   #293
Senior - BHPian

torque figures on red's request:

non-CRDe : 26 kgm @ 1800 rpm
CRDe : 28.3 kgm @ 1800 rpm
mHawk : 28.5 kgm @ 1800 rpm

mahindra's 'sweet spot' seems to be 1800 rpm!
Old 1st June 2009, 11:25   #294
BHPian

Ok,
I just came back from the Bhasin Motors after giving my Scorpio for Service. Fortunately I met some old supervisors I know there.

We did the test drive, and the guys there told me that they also felt the Chain Drive Non-CRDE Scorpio is the most simple and easy to maintain Scorpio. They told me there are absurdly high costs involved if something goes wrong with the Injectors etc of the CRDI Scorpio. Mahindra took out that model because the Non-CRDE would not pass the Pollution Test easily.

Khach Khach Sound - The people there also told me that some bushes require greasing, that's all.

Anup About the AC Vents - If I keep the Thermostat Knob to Full cooling The rear vents blow out cold air, if it is less than full cooling, the rear vents blow out warm air, while the front vents are blowing cold air.

It's a 60,000km service, so I'm changing all oils, & filters, Complete check-up of Suspension, Axel, Brakes. Other minor things.
They are doing Wheel Alignment for free. In fact they gave me a booklet of free coupons worth 5000. It has coupons for things like free Wheel Alignment, Wheel Balancing, AC Checkup, Dry cleaning etc. Once free Coupon can be used with every Paid Service.

Styler
Old 1st June 2009, 11:41   #295

Regarding blower noise

Hi All,

Yesterday I took test drive of new Scorpio 2.2 MHawk LX version. One thing I noticed is that the blower noise is too loud when the fan speed is set at 2 or above.
Just want to know from other Scorpio owners whether the blower noise is more or this is a one off case (since sales person told still PDI is not done, but not sure how noise will get reduced after the PDI).
Please reply with your inputs
Old 1st June 2009, 13:56   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifts View Post
..Yesterday I took test drive of new Scorpio 2.2 MHawk LX version. One thing I noticed is that the blower noise is too loud when the fan speed is set at 2 or above.
how loud is too loud?
yes, its noisy in 3 & 4, but not at 2. i find the most comfortable setting is 2-LO.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 15th February 2019 at 07:27. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
Old 1st June 2009, 14:22   #297

Regarding blower noise

Hi ,
By "too loud" I mean to say that I could not hear the engine running sound when the blower speed was set at 2. Once I switched off the blower then I could hear the engine sound.
Is the blower noise of your Scorpio's also the same, please confirm.

(also, the test drive did not have a music system) .
Old 1st June 2009, 15:00   #298
Senior - BHPian

noise cant get reduced after pdi - the sales chap is just trying to get you off his back.
i find the position of 1 - Lo to be best for my needs
2 - Lo is also fine sometimes. 2 is certainly louder than 1, and yes, the AC blower fan noise of the Scorpio is generally quite loud. It doesnt hiss silently like some of the fancier cars except when placed on 1 - Lo.

The AC noise is less than in the Bolero, but is still quite loud.
Old 1st June 2009, 15:04   #299
Senior - BHPian

Yes, this is absolutely correct, my experience is identical when hill driving. The old scorpio could take a lot of it casually in second gear whereas the new one cannot - one simply has to get into 1st gear - especially on stretches like the Sigur Ghat going to Ooty and some places on the Gudalur - Ooty road too. I also prefer the old Scorpio looks and I appreciate the heavy gauge of metal used, which is definitely of a greater gauge/ thickness than the Crde ones. In may ways, the old Scorpio felt more solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post

Last edited by shankar.balan : 1st June 2009 at 15:05.
Old 1st June 2009, 15:51   #300
Senior - BHPian

Hai Scorpers,

What happens when you press HI and LO on the scorp? Is it connected to the thermostat; the HI would cut off at lower temps and the LO would cut off at high temps? Would be interesting to learn how this works.

Thanks for inputs.

@Wandernomad

Posted my experience on change of A/C vents in another thread here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...liability.html

I'd recommend it highly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderNomad View Post
Hey mate how much did you pay for it. My car is also due for service and I have been thinking about the vents since long.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks