Old 14th February 2012, 16:21   #2761
BANNED

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudipta View Post
1. Torsion bar bushes needs replacement
2. UJ Cross (02)
3. Forward lower arm ball joint needs replacement
My car is done 16000 plus kms and would like to know if this is kind of normal. Also would like to know if there is a way to diagnose these problems from driving the car (and not by lifting and manually checking).
If the car has been used on a mix of all kinds of roads, the wear and tear of the above components is pretty normal, however I m surprised that the UJ cross wore out this soon. Did you not have it greased at regular intervals? My UJ cross is 76k kms old and is running fine.
Old 14th February 2012, 16:26   #2762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
If the car has been used on a mix of all kinds of roads, the wear and tear of the above components is pretty normal, however I m surprised that the UJ cross wore out this soon. Did you not have it greased at regular intervals? My UJ cross is 76k kms old and is running fine.
I have been going for regular servicing every 6 months with atleast 1 camp/checkup in between also. I didn't specifically mention myself about the greasing so not sure if that was done everytime. Going forward, I myself will make a note of the same and mention that regularly.

BTW, is there a bush within the cross?
Old 14th February 2012, 16:26   #2763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
2. Also, I'm getting calls from someone claiming to be Mahindra representative for renewal of my insurance. They seem to be pushing for HDFC Ergo insurance. My previous insurance was from Royal Sundaram and according to them Mahindra had lots of complaints about Royal Sundaram in last few years and hence they are not advising for Royal Sundaram. Is the call genuine? I mean, do Mahindra takes such steps or it is some external agency who is actually calling? Also if someone has recently renewed insurance for SLE 2011, then how much was the insurance premium amount you've paid and what was the IDV for your vehicle?
Regards,
Do not worry, this is a standard ploy with some agents.

Some how the database of owners and their renewal time is accessible to most insurance companies. Every time my cars come up for insurance, I get call from quite a few companies soliciting renewal with their company. Of course no one has tried to belittle the existing insurer, but they will try their best to
- Claim that their policy is the best
- Their policy is the cheapest, though most of the time they are quite high as my insurer gives me 20% discount on premium.

The IDV is 95% of the ex-showroom price, and depreciated at around 10-15% every year (you will get the actual figures from you "friendly neighborhood insurance agent"). To that you add the No Claim Bonus to get the final figure.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2012, 17:20   #2764
BANNED

Quote:
BTW, is there a bush within the cross?
There are bearings but no bushes within the cross.
Old 15th February 2012, 08:36   #2765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
There are bearings but no bushes within the cross.
And there is no provision for greasing these needle roller bearings.
Old 15th February 2012, 08:54   #2766
Senior - BHPian

Last Saturday, I trotted across to my neighbourhood ASC because a wheel alignment exercise the previous day had revealed that the RHS wheel bearing was gone, and had to be replaced. I also wanted to change the power steering belt.

The following was the scope of work vs work done:

- RHS wheel bearings, found that it had lived its full life. The first set of bearings issued by the Stores did not fit (!) and this was found when the mechanic at fitment stage. They luckily found the correct bearings in the stores. Does anyone in the ASCs (or perhaps even MM?) know there are some things called Part Numbers???!!

- Power Steering belt was changed, been a long time since I had replaced it and predictably, it had slowly started cracking up

- I had bust the heating coil coolant pipe a couple of months ago and as usual, the ASC did not have it in stock, so a pair (in pipe and out pipe) were ordered for. The pipe was found to be one for some other vehicle (they suspect it is the m2DI) and neither the length nor the adapter fitted. So they have “re-indented” for the coolant pipe again. Why would MM have so many different designs for what is a simple pipe – I can understand that length can differ, but why would anyone not standardise the width? And again, I know the part number for the pipe, but neither the ASC (and by default, MM) does not appear to bother about part numbers!

- Steering rack bushes were found to have play when I did the alignment job, but as expected, ASC said nothing can be done.

- I have never changed the bushes in the lower arm, but again as expected, ASC shrugged and said that it is a 2-day job (i.e. to remove the old bush in a press and re-fit!!). So that job was also scratched

- I have always wanted to change the rubber bushes (never changed) in the rear stabilizer bar (which also has play), but in the last 3 years, ASC has always shrugged when queried for it. So that job was also scratched.

- Hand Brake cable – sorry, no stock

- I have been having this rear brake jam problem thanks to a failed spring in the brake shoe assembly, but as usual ASC had neither a complete brake shoe assembly (with springs) nor the springs themselves (they looked puzzled). The spring I am looking for is the LATCH SPRING RH (Part # 0602BA1990N) and LATCH SPRING LH (Part # 0602BA2000N . This is the spring that is defective and jamming my brakes, which has caused lots of problems with brake failure (and continues to). No prizes for guessing that ASCs do not have a drill to mandatorily replace these springs as per a schedule. MM service schedules remind you of the bullock-car days, so inadequate are their checklists. So I had to scratch this task also, and continue to drive with little or poor brakes

- So I tried something which I thought should be easier – please put on a new main fuse holder since the earlier one broke and is now simply having the ends fitted together and insulation-taped, which is leading to occasional mismatches and power failures. Ah ha, they did not have that also, so it is back to the Lamington Road shops of Bombay to shop for a 80A socket holder! (which I got yesterday)

AH SHAME, Mahindra! (never with you Hamesha!) - it is business as "usual"
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2012, 10:23   #2767
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
And there is no provision for greasing these needle roller bearings.
There is, there are grease nipples provided at the cross for the same.
Old 16th February 2012, 14:01   #2768
Senior - BHPian

My Scorpio has gone for the 20 K servicing today along with the 75 Point free inspection camp by M&M.

Apart from the regular servicing & checkup issues reported by me:

1. Tachometer not working
2. Drivers side seat belt tensioner now working properly
3. Engine is cranking with some delay

Will update on the status and expenses
Old 17th February 2012, 10:49   #2769
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
My Scorpio has gone for the 20 K servicing today along with the 75 Point free inspection camp by M&M.

The vehicle is back with me, running much better. Lesser engine and body noises.

Costs:

25K Servicing : 1912.54
Consumables : 200.00
Oil Filter Change : 134.22
Engine Oil (7 L) : 1664.96
Engine Decarbonising : 1950.00
Brakes Bleeding : 480.00
Battery R&R (?) : 136.00
Washing : 450.00
Suspension R&R (?) : 480.00

Total with Taxes & a discount of 590 Rs. (Mahindra Camp) came out to 7583.00
Old 17th February 2012, 14:27   #2770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The vehicle is back with me, running much better. Lesser engine and body noises.
Forgot to add that there was an issue with the Tachometer so the entire instrument cluster was replaced under extended warrenty, the only downside was that the milage is now restarted from 1.
Old 17th February 2012, 18:42   #2771
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:

Costs:

25K Servicing : 1912.54
Consumables : 200.00
Oil Filter Change : 134.22
Engine Oil (7 L) : 1664.96
Engine Decarbonising : 1950.00
Brakes Bleeding : 480.00
Battery R&R (?) : 136.00
Washing : 450.00
Suspension R&R (?) : 480.00

Total with Taxes & a discount of 590 Rs. (Mahindra Camp) came out to 7583.00
I have booked for the 75 point check up for tomorrow. My Scorp was recently serviced. Any idea how long will the check up last? The dealer was clueless so was M&M customer care about the duration. I can't leave my vehicle the entire day.

If I remember correctly 25K service is the "minor" service. Here at my dealer the fixed labor charge for "minor" service is Rs 600/- and for "major" it is Rs 2700/-

One question: If a part is replaced under first (2 year) warranty and if one has extended warranty, will the replaced part be covered under extended warranty? I can ask this to the dealer but its always better to know the right thing

About R&R (from online sources)
R&R can be Remove and Replace but seeing the cost it is more like Remove & Repair or Remove and Re-install. You might want to check with your service advisor, just in case they have added labor charges, which should not be.
Old 17th February 2012, 20:58   #2772
BHPian

Went for the 75 point nation wide check up today at AMPL motors at Ranigung. The SA assured me that it would not take more than 45 minutes including a body wash.

All I can say is I guess it was only the body wash that was done and few nut and bolts tightened.

Problems Reported:

1) Reported a problem of the window glass on the front 2 doors vibrating a bit and wanted them to fix it and all they said was the person who works on doors is on leave and to come back at the 30K servicing which is due in another 1700K and they would fix it then.

2) Reported that the front tyres are wearing out a little faster than the rear tyres. I was asked whether wheel alignment has been done, so informed the guy that it was done during the last servicing, but not at Mahindra and also reported that the tyres were interchanged placing the front left on the rear right and the front right at the rear left. The mechanic informed me that wheel alignment has to be done properly and asked me to get it done at the next servicing.
Old 18th February 2012, 09:43   #2773
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...the following are the remarks from the 75 point checkup.

1. Torsion bar bushes needs replacement
Is yours a 4wd Scorpio? If not, where did anyone see torsion bars???
Old 18th February 2012, 17:07   #2774
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohi_rao View Post
I have booked for the 75 point check up for tomorrow. My Scorp was recently serviced. Any idea how long will the check up last? The dealer was clueless so was M&M customer care about the duration. I can't leave my vehicle the entire day.

My servicing including the checkup lasted some 3 hours. So in your case should not take more than an hour and a half if you book an early morning slot

If I remember correctly 25K service is the "minor" service. Here at my dealer the fixed labor charge for "minor" service is Rs 600/- and for "major" it is Rs 2700/-

20K Service is an intermediate one so charges gave come to appx. Rs. 2100.00

One question: If a part is replaced under first (2 year) warranty and if one has extended warranty, will the replaced part be covered under extended warranty? I can ask this to the dealer but its always better to know the right thing

As far as I know there is no difference in the terms and conditions of both the warranties. I have had more replacements under extended warrenty then the regular one.

About R&R (from online sources)
R&R can be Remove and Replace but seeing the cost it is more like Remove & Repair or Remove and Re-install. You might want to check with your service advisor, just in case they have added labor charges, which should not be.

Will check this up
Hi my responses inline above.
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2012, 18:50   #2775
BHPian

Got the 75 point (72 on the check list + 3 "general check") check up done today. Had booked for 9-9:30am slot yesterday itself but when I went there it took them half an hour to assign somebody, that too after having a word with the service head. Got my regular service advisor to handle the job. Initially they told I will get back the vehicle by 3pm (5hrs) then after some haggling got it by 1pm. All checks passed and was washed. Vehicle felt better to drive, guess some grease job was done. They send the check list to M&M, so if any related issue comes in my next service which is due shortly I can always point out as to why it was missed

The camp, at least in Bangalore is extended till 22Feb since 19&20 are holiday.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks