Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2012, 15:13   #2701
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

My answers in Bold. Punjab Auto is expensive, Enjoy

Have never used any additives, I know many people who use System D and swear by it. Logically it should clean injectors. There's are also some posts on usage of Acetone to clean the injectors, though not validated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Hi Guys,

Just gave the Scorpio CrdE for service today@76K Kms and here are the estimates:

1) Engine Oil Change: 2400

Looks OK if they put Maximile, I've always put only maximile.

2) Gear Oil Change: 1400

I think I changed it around 50 K, change only if it's mandated. Outside machanic can do it at 700, I think.

3) Diff Oil Change: 1800

Did change it at 50K. Would not need it now.

4) Air Filter Change: 750

Brand new Box and filter, requires only cleaning, it costs 400-500 outside

5) Headlight bulb change: 200

Could be OK.

6) Labour: 850

Tax wold be around 1000/- Enjoy!!

Do these costs look reasonable? I have my doubts. So can anyone of you tell me where these guys seem to be hiking the costs?

Its been given at Punjab Auto@Ahmedabad

Thanks,
Adi

Last edited by ramkya1 : 18th January 2012 at 15:16.
ramkya1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 15:18   #2702
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

I will be going in for 20K Kms. servicing in the next couple of weeks, need pointers / detailed check list on what all things to be taken care, as I dont want to be taken for a ride by the A.S.S. (the vehicle is under extended warrenty).

I have identified some minor niggles:

1. Creaks and squeaks - need to have all the nuts and bolts tightened.
2. The Tachometer is not working - it sometimes works, flickers some times, but most of the time lies dead.
3. One of the footboard bulbs (puddle lamp) or wiring has gone

Rest touch wood is working perfectly
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 15:19   #2703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What should be the typical costs? I don't want to pay seemingly absurd prices when I go to pick it up today evening.

This is a pre-owned Scorpio I picked up from our man Ramkya and out of warranty. I wanted to have it serviced once at the ASC before I look around for a competent mechanic later. On second thoughts, maybe I should have sent it to the guy who does my TCIC Safari. I guess until there's something that requires ECM to be connected, regular oil change etc should be possible anywhere else.

Also, What's the final verdict on fuel additives? I use 1 ml/liter of 2T oil with my TCIC Safari and its made a world of difference to the smoothness and response. Don't think I can do that with the Crde. STP? Wynn? System-D?
Just talked to the SA that I usually interact with during my vehicle's servicing. According to him, these are the approx costs:
Engine oil: 1500 - 1700
Gear oil + diff oil: Not more than 1000 in total [IIRC, Ramkya's steed was 4WD? If yes, then maybe a little more than 1000]
Air filter: Not more than 500
Headlight bulb: Not more than 150
Diesel filter: 1700

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 16:39   #2704
Senior - BHPian

As already mentioned by Ramki, the costs are double of what it is actual
Actual costs are:
Engine Oil - 6 litres about Rs 220/L or Rs.13xx for the 6 litre can. Ask to see the can.
Gear Oil - 1.8 Litres - Rs 513 is what it is on the can
Diff Oil - 0.9 Litres if IIRC and cost less than Rs300
Air Filter - Rs 450~500

The rates are of M&M pacakaged oils. BTW is this an ASC?

Cheers
Quote:
Hi Guys,

Just gave the Scorpio CrdE for service today@76K Kms and here are the estimates:

Do these costs look reasonable? I have my doubts. So can anyone of you tell me where these guys seem to be hiking the costs?

Thanks,
Adi
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 16:54   #2705
AVR
BHPian

Thanks Ramkya, Vikram and MileCruncher,

Surely seem to be trying to take me for a ride here. This is one of the big dealers for MM in Ahmedabad.
Tried talking to him after seeing these posts. About differential oil he's like there are 2 of them in a vehicle so it will cost twice and its a 2wd Scorpio!
Am like *You DO NOT try teaching that to a Jeeper/Offroader* lol

More once I go pick up the vehicle. Let them put what they want on the estimate. Am going to only pay what I see on the box!
Old 18th January 2012, 17:06   #2706
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
need pointers / detailed check list on what all things to be taken care, as I dont want to be taken for a ride by the A.S.S. (the vehicle is under extended warrenty).
Your car's user manual will have a service schedule table, which will tell you the maintenance items to be done in every service. Just ensure that ALL of these are done, and the ASC folks don't take any shortcuts. Also, don't fall for any value added services that they'll try to push like engine flush, glass polishing etc.

Apart from the issues you've written, you can do what I do before every service. Check all typical stuff like cranking, headlight operation, indicators, horns, wiper operation, door locking, door closing, visual inspection of fluids in engine bay, if there's any excess play in the ABC pedals and last but not least a drive at late night/early morning with the windows open and music system turned off to identify any unusual noises either from the body/belts/engine etc. Also, check your parking for any leakages after the vehicle has been parked overnight. If you find anything amiss during this routine, you can get it corrected during the service.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 18th January 2012 at 17:07.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 18:40   #2707
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Your car's user manual will have a service schedule table, which will tell you the maintenance items to be done in every service. Just ensure that ALL of these are done, and the ASC folks don't take any shortcuts. Also, don't fall for any value added services that they'll try to push like engine flush, glass polishing etc.

Apart from the issues you've written, you can do what I do before every service. Check all typical stuff like cranking, headlight operation, indicators, horns, wiper operation, door locking, door closing, visual inspection of fluids in engine bay, if there's any excess play in the ABC pedals and last but not least a drive at late night/early morning with the windows open and music system turned off to identify any unusual noises either from the body/belts/engine etc. Also, check your parking for any leakages after the vehicle has been parked overnight. If you find anything amiss during this routine, you can get it corrected during the service.

Cheers,
Vikram
Sound advise that from Vikram.

Also note down the master odo reading in front of them to let them know you're noting it. This is to prevent some bloke doing a joy ride on the pretex of checking it out.

On my last service of Mhwak I found the truck had done 40 KMs running which was unusual. They explained it as a long drive and thorough check, it was obvious someone had misused the Test Drive for personal reasons, I complained to the manager. At least next time they'd be careful with my truck.

--Ramky
=====
Old 18th January 2012, 20:33   #2708
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Thanks,
Adi
I got my CRDe serviced two weeks back and here is what I paid. All rates are including tax.

1)
Engine Oil Element - Rs.151/-
Engine Oil(Maxilmile Crown, 6Lts) - Rs.1638/-
Labour for oil replacement - Rs.119/-

2)
Maximile Synchro Gear Oil(2 Lts) - Rs.513/-
Labour - Rs.119/-

3)
I think its only topup, this was not completely replaced in my case.
Differential oil(1.8 Lts) - Rs.464/-
Labour - None, probably included in misc charges

4)
Air Filter - Rs.506/-
Labour - Rs.119/-

5) No idea

6)
Fixed labour charges for 35, 45, 55, 65k etc here is Rs.600/-
" " 40k, 50k, 60k etc is Rs.2700/-

The labour charge you mentioned is probably the standard labour for 75k check list service and other rates are including the labour charges for the respective job.
asdfvinay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 12:10   #2709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Your car's user manual will have a service schedule table, which will tell you the maintenance items to be done in every service. J

Just ensure that ALL of these are done, and the ASC folks don't take any shortcuts.

- This is an issue as I would not be able to monitor the servicing on account of no availability of time, so will have to be satisfied with their word that things have been done

Also, don't fall for any value added services that they'll try to push like engine flush, glass polishing etc.

- This is a thumb rule with me, never to fall for these

Apart from the issues you've written, you can do what I do before every service.

Check all typical stuff like
cranking - Might need a check as crank is slightly more these days (may be due to cold)
headlight operation - Working Perfectly
indicators - Working Perfectly
horns - Working Perfectly (got 1 replacement & wiring issues sorted recently)
wiper operation - Working Perfectly
door locking, door closing - Some minor issues are there, may need the Nippon guy to check also.
visual inspection of fluids in engine bay - Almost at the top mark
if there's any excess play in the ABC pedals - Clutch might need an adjustment
and last but not least a drive at late night/early morning with the windows open and music system turned off to identify any unusual noises either from the body/belts/engine etc. - This I will try tonight (if I am able to convince my son not to accompany me for his voice will down everything)
Also, check your parking for any leakages after the vehicle has been parked overnight - None so far
If you find anything amiss during this routine, you can get it corrected during the service.
Thanks for the inputs Vikram, gave a lot of insight on things I might have forgotten.

Add to it the Driver side seat belt tensioner is not working properly.
Old 20th January 2012, 14:49   #2710
Senior - BHPian

My Mhwak VLX, August 2011, 8.5 K done, 4x4, problems:

1. Through the Front Right Doors I can feel air flowing in, winter I feel it more. Can feel the draft clearly when I overtake through the left any heavy vehicle. Not able to make out from where it's coming from.

How to identify the source of the leak? Rather than giving it to the ASC, Punjab Automobiles to experiment and find out, I want to find it out, point it out to them so that it's plugged properly.

2. The 4x4 does not disengage many times. Last week did 2 KM of 4x4 on village roads, came to tarmac, switched to 2x4, the green light went off but I could find the front wheels locked and grinding. Stopped, switched 4x4 on and off slowly twice, reversed and then the truck came back to 2x4. Is this a problem with motor / gears? I haven't exposed my truck to water much, but plan to do that this week end. Do I need to seal the 4x4 electricals on the under-chassis? Which parts and how? Somebody recommended silicone gel, is this OK? Are skid plates mandated?

Thanks for your inputs.

--Ramky
======
Old 20th January 2012, 15:15   #2711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
How to identify the source of the leak? Rather than giving it to the ASC, Punjab Automobiles to experiment and find out, I want to find it out, point it out to them so that it's plugged properly.
======
Is it from both the front doors? May be possible to find the leak using a hair dryer or vacuum cleaner blower. While you are inside, ask someone to blow air into the door lines and you should be able to identify.
Old 20th January 2012, 15:22   #2712
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfvinay View Post
Is it from both the front doors? May be possible to find the leak using a hair dryer or vacuum cleaner blower. While you are inside, ask someone to blow air into the door lines and you should be able to identify.
Good idea, I have noticed it while driving, will now check the co-passengers seat with the blower and report. Thanks for the pointer.

--Ramky
======
Old 20th January 2012, 15:58   #2713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Mhwak VLX, August 2011, 8.5 K done, 4x4, problems:

1. Through the Front Right Doors I can feel air flowing in, winter I feel it more. Can feel the draft clearly when I overtake through the left any heavy vehicle. Not able to make out from where it's coming from.

2. The 4x4 does not disengage many times. Last week did 2 KM of 4x4 on village roads, came to tarmac, switched to 2x4, the green light went off but I could find the front wheels locked and grinding. Stopped, switched 4x4 on and off slowly twice, reversed and then the truck came back to 2x4. Is this a problem with motor / gears? I haven't exposed my truck to water much, but plan to do that this week end. Do I need to seal the 4x4 electricals on the under-chassis? Which parts and how? Somebody recommended silicone gel, is this OK? Are skid plates mandated?

Thanks for your inputs.

--Ramky
======
2 years,and i havent found a solution to it,even i feel the same,everytime i overtake a heavy vehicle,and with temperature around 5 degrees these days,its very prominent
Old 20th January 2012, 16:04   #2714
Team-BHP Support

Interesting. I am posting the same solution I posted on the Safari thread, here in the Scorpio thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Close everything.

A person inside the vehicle has a couple of smoking agarbathi's. Takes them around the vehicle.
Another person watches from outside to spot the place from where the smoke exits the vehicle.

Be careful, you don't want burn marks on your seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
You can also use Uudh*. That stuff women put on hot coals while drying their hair.

In fact anything that smokes a lot but does not have an unpleasant smell.

*English name is agarwood as per Google.
Old 20th January 2012, 19:54   #2715
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...I can feel air flowing in...
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
...i havent found a solution to it,even i feel the same,everytime i overtake a heavy vehicle,and with temperature around 5 degrees these days,its very prominent
There's a rubber grommet on the right top corner of the firewall through which the wiring harness comes into the cabin. See if that grommet is snugly fitted. Also check if the junction between the wires and the hole in the grommet is properly taped up and leakproof.
================================================== ====
Quote:
2. The 4x4 does not disengage many times. Last week did 2 KM of 4x4 on village roads, came to tarmac, switched to 2x4, the green light went off but I could find the front wheels locked and grinding. Stopped, switched 4x4 on and off slowly twice, reversed and then the truck came back to 2x4. Is this a problem with motor / gears?
Just the gearbox being a little sticky - not a problem. After you bring the shifter switch back to 2H, rock the car gently alternately in 1st & reverse gears. Also rolling the car very slowly in neutral helps the gearbox to shift back from 4L / 4H to 2H.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks