Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2011, 17:06   #2641
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
@ Spike Arrestor
I was only trying to clear the misunderstanding that the condenser fan plays some part in radiator (engine) cooling. ------
Ok, now I got your point.

Quote:
I was involved in the technical side of the automotive business but at a certain point in my career realized that dealing with people was equally or perhaps more challenging than dealing with machines. While machines can have a mind of their own atleast they dont have an opinion or talk back ... well with the advent of SIRI theyve already started I suppose. I crossed over to the dark side and am now in the sales & marketing domain
Sometimes, I feel machines are easier to understand and control when compared to people. Good to know about you.

Spike
Old 20th November 2011, 22:21   #2642
Senior - BHPian

Re: Condenser fan failure leads to engine overheating??

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
There is a twist to this, I am eagerly awaiting to see the Compressor drawings before commenting on this any further. Will update once I get concrete info.
Would like confirmation that the AC also cuts out on low head pressure.

Don't have that data, but can manipulate from things available with me. Not needed here anyway.
Spike
Agreed.
Regards
Sutripta
Old 1st December 2011, 20:42   #2643
BHPian

Hi, i am a new Scorpio owner and i have seen that reverse gear is very hard to engage is there any reason for that....i drove it only 144 km as of now.Planning for short trip to Mysore this weekend to get a feel of man and machine
Old 2nd December 2011, 09:26   #2644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supratim07
Hi, i am a new Scorpio owner and i have seen that reverse gear is very hard to engage is there any reason for that....i drove it only 144 km as of now.Planning for short trip to Mysore this weekend to get a feel of man and machine
Hi Supratim, what you are saying is a phenomenon found in bigger vehicles with heavy clutch and constant mesh gears (say, bus). Gear is hard to engage and you may hear the grinding sound as you try to slot it. Issue is due to the gear teeth not aligning correctly during the time it engages.

I encounter it from time to time in my VLX too. You can try the below suggestion:

1. Depress the clutch fully (just in case - if you aren't doing it already) and try to slot reverse
2. If still issues, release clutch in neutral and depress it fully again, try slot reverse now
3. If still issues, engage forward gear, release clutch slowly till vehicle rolls an inch or so and then stop and slot reverse
4. If still issues, then you may slip the clutch a bit while force slotting reverse, but do it at your own risk (you are damaging the gearbox in doing so)

If the issue persists most of the time you slot reverse (say more than 1/3rd), then please take it to the service station for analysis.

Hope this doesn't spoil your new Scorpio experience! Cheers!!
Old 2nd December 2011, 17:55   #2645
BHPian

Thanks GunMO your 2nd option worked and i think i need to re-learn as driving Santro for so many years cris crosses my mind while shifting gears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMo View Post
Hi Supratim, what you are saying is a phenomenon found in bigger vehicles with heavy clutch and constant mesh gears (say, bus). Gear is hard to engage and you may hear the grinding sound as you try to slot it. Issue is due to the gear teeth not aligning correctly during the time it engages.

I encounter it from time to time in my VLX too. You can try the below suggestion:

1. Depress the clutch fully (just in case - if you aren't doing it already) and try to slot reverse
2. If still issues, release clutch in neutral and depress it fully again, try slot reverse now
3. If still issues, engage forward gear, release clutch slowly till vehicle rolls an inch or so and then stop and slot reverse
4. If still issues, then you may slip the clutch a bit while force slotting reverse, but do it at your own risk (you are damaging the gearbox in doing so)

If the issue persists most of the time you slot reverse (say more than 1/3rd), then please take it to the service station for analysis.

Hope this doesn't spoil your new Scorpio experience! Cheers!!
Old 3rd December 2011, 00:40   #2646
BHPian

For last couple of days while driving I saw the 'water in fuel filter' warning light going on for a few seconds. Intially it was remaining on for just few seconds and then totally disappear, but the second day onwards, the light remained on for 10 - 15 minutes disappear and again reappear after 10- 15 minutes.

I was worried and sent my Scorpio SLE mHawk 16K on odo to Authorized Service Station. SA informed that they have checked and drained some water from the fuel filter . Some fine dust that was filtered was also cleared from the collection bowl of fuel filter. Now the warnig light does not stay on during the drives.

During my recent road trips i had refuelled at a couple of small town petrol pumps; impurities in the fuel from these small town pumps could be the culprit for the problem

I was told by SA that In case of severe contamination, they dismount the fuel tank, clean it mechanically and replace the fuel filter too.

The lesson is now learnt. I will now refuel only at reliable pumps

Last edited by Night_Hawk : 3rd December 2011 at 00:45. Reason: Typos
Old 3rd December 2011, 21:07   #2647
BHPian

I heard a metallic sound from the front left suspension on rough incline roads multiple times (just a metallic clank), and it led to worn out bushing in the lower A arm. This is after 55000 km and 5.5 years. Can someone please tell me the expected cost for replacing all front suspension bushes?
Old 5th December 2011, 12:02   #2648
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supratim07 View Post
Don't worry you will get used to the rough gearing with time, try pumping the clutch a few times before slotting the reverse, and yes the clutch needs to be depressed completely.
Old 5th December 2011, 14:56   #2649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Don't worry you will get used to the rough gearing with time, try pumping the clutch a few times before slotting the reverse, and yes the clutch needs to be depressed completely.
Thanks m_upreti...my drive to Mysore was helpful in many ways to know my new buddy.Getting used to 3rd and reverse gear slowly.
Old 5th December 2011, 16:59   #2650
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks GunMO your 2nd option worked and i think i need to re-learn as driving Santro for so many years cris crosses my mind while shifting gears.
Do try out the approach mentioned below by fellow Scorpio owner Vikram. Based on his advice, i have been following these steps, and using the gears is an effortless exercise on my Scorpio.

Link : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2449161
benbsb29 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2011, 17:17   #2651
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks m_upreti...my drive to Mysore was helpful in many ways to know my new buddy.Getting used to 3rd and reverse gear slowly.
These 2 gears will be a perpetual pain but with time you will not even feel the difference ..lucky your 1st is not troubling you.
Old 7th December 2011, 12:28   #2652
Senior - BHPian

6th December, 2011. - 08:00 pm

We scorpio owners are a funny lot. Love our rides & people connected with it more than anybody else. Devdath got married recently and who does he visit with his better (will turn bitter later) half first? No, no; not any of his relatives etc., but to my FNG. And believe you me, it was not to get his truck checked but to show the new accessory... Lol.

There he mentioned to Rakesh about The Bull's new HLs. Rakesh (FNG) called me up, remonstrated with me for not telling about this to him first and said that I must visit him today itself to show the new fitment. So, in the evening while returning home from work I landed up at my FNG. The new HLs were thoroughly inspected, wiring connections checked, light throw observed and the verdict pronounced was - "awesome, I too will fit the same in my Scorpio". With my toungue firmly in cheek, I jovially mentioned - "nazar utaarnee padegi". Little did I know that shortly after the "nazar" would affect The Bull.

After exchanging pleasantries with Rakesh, I headed to the DLF Phase I Market, Gurgaon enroute to home to pick up some stuff, forgetting that being Tuesday it was the weekly off for the market. The normally overcrowded parking space was almost empty and this cockled my heart. I proceeded to park and with the "nazar" working full-time coupled with an error of judgement, I parked in a deep dry nullah with the left rear wheel precariously suspended in air and the right rear wheel barely on the ground. Kicked myself you-know-where and then put on my thinking cap.

Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-06122011021.jpg

Inspected the whole scenario and surmised that with the help of a 4x4 vehicle The Bull could be pulled out. Two people immediately came to my mind - Roshun & Shamindra (SS-Traveller). Both own a 4x4 Scorpio. I also had in the meanwhile mentally shortlisted my known rescue crane operator.

Placed a call to Roshun and luckily for me he had just returned home and was parking. I explained the scene and requested him to come if possible. He readily agreed but said that he didn't have the tow-rope. I told him not to bother as I always carry a 5 ton tow-rope with D-shackles in the boot. I also called up the crane operator to be on stand-by in case The Bull could not be pulled out by Roshun.

At 8:30 pm The DesertFox, with several rescues under its belt, arrived. It was positioned, tow-rope attached, both the engines started, The Bull on 1st gear and the Fox on 1st gear +4L, engines revved to 3k RPM and with the hoot of the Fox both the clutches were released simultaneously. Without even a burp & bump The Bull rode out of the nullah.

A BIG THANK YOU ROSHUN & FOX.

There wasn't any apparent damage to Bull's underbody as I had reversed very slow and the pintle hook took the load and held tight. Relieved Roshun & I left for home.

Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-06122011023.jpg

p.s. The "nazar" also affected my DRLS. They stopped working after the nullah episode. Will have it checked tomorrow.

Last edited by gd1418 : 7th December 2011 at 12:57.
Old 7th December 2011, 12:56   #2653
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Two people immediately came to my mind - Roshun & Shamindra (SS_Traveller). Both own a 4x4 Scorpio.
Hmm... and this was after we spoke on the phone around 6:30 pm, and I was in Sushant Lok till around 7:30 pm.
Old 9th December 2011, 20:25   #2654
Senior - BHPian

Guys need quick help
Last oil change was 9K kms ago and it was not refilled after that.
Today after a 500 km road trip I noticed oil is at low level mark,is it normal for engine to lose some oil?
To be on the safer side I picked up 1L of MAK premium engine oil 15w40 as nothing else was available and added 500 ml and level was normal
Is it fine if I run it with this oil for next 1K s as service is due at 25K mark.
Old 9th December 2011, 23:41   #2655
Distinguished - BHPian

@akshay:

Engines do loose some oil and there is an allowable tolerance set my the manufacturer. 500ml over 9K kilometers should be okay. You can continue with this oil upto next service.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks