Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2011, 12:22   #2431
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

The brake light switch stopper was replaced(dont know why) at the 20K service,though it was working fine.
Few days later i found it lying in the driver side footwell.
Took it to my local mech,to get it fixed and he gave it a permanent fix by removing that rubber stopper.
All is well now
Old 5th September 2011, 12:30   #2432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
Thanks friends. My Scorpio is still under extended warrenty, and A.S.S do not have synthetic oil with them. I can buy and provide them, But Will changing it to Synthetic void the warranty? I need confirmation before I do to.
I haven't faced any issues with the ASC about warranty when I provide the oil [Delvac MX] during an oil change, but that's because it's of the same grade & specs that are given in the mHawk user manual. If the synth oil that you are planning to use is not of these specs, then it'll be better if you get this question answered by emailing M&M Cust Care or calling your regional M&M Cust Care manager.

Just curious, what is the reason for you to use synth oil in your Scorpio? Does your driving really warrant using a synth oil? Yes, a synth oil enables you to follow a 15k kms oil change interval against that of 10k kms if you use a non-OE mineral oil, but it also costs almost thrice that of a good mineral oil.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 5th September 2011 at 12:31.
Old 5th September 2011, 14:11   #2433

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
The cooled (pressure) air from the intercooler should be going to the engine!
The route of the air is airfilter to turbo to intercooler to engine...right ?

Thanks Guderian...time to get the hands dirty !!!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 6th September 2011 at 14:38.
Old 6th September 2011, 00:05   #2434
BHPian

Hello All,
Here is an update to the alternator issue with my Scorpio VLX.

As mentioned earlier workshop people insisted that it is not covered under warranty. Yesterday I spoke to dealer and the dealer to workshop people but still no change. So, upon the advice of fellow bhpians I wrote to customercare@mahindra.com. It indeed has worked. I wrote the mail yesterday (had also logged in complaint over phone yesterday afternoon).

Today morning I got a call from Mr. Rohit who is the Pune Customer Care manager, explained him the situation and expressed strong dis-pleasure over the alternator issue and the inconvenience it had caused. He did listen and promised to look in to the issue. Got a call after half an hour around 10 am, he promised to speak to the dealer and workshop people, got an update after an hour, the issue had been taken care of :-) It seems there was 'mis-understanding' at workshop - the repair should have been done under warranty, although it is a third party part. He had spoken to the workshop supervisor as well as manager and the resolution was agreed.

Also, got a reply to my mail in the afternoon, pleasant surprise.

The alternator repair was completed by afternoon, they had also topped up the break fluid and fixed other minor issue. The car was washed and delivered to my house in the evening. They also sent the broken alternator bearing and other parts in a separate bag, may as well keep them as a reminedr of first issue :-) I did not have to pay a single penny !

Did a short test drive - truck felt smoother (could be because I indeed missed my Scorpio over past 4 days). No flashing of dashboard lights yet, would have to observe it for 3/4 days given erratic nature of the original issue. But so far I am extremely pleased with Mahindra Customer care, I must thank and applaud Mr. Rohit for promptly resolving the matter.

Happy that Mahindra Customer Care has so far not let me down. Must applaud the Mahindra Customer Care and Mr Rohit. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images...s/Clapping.gif

Finally thanks to fello bhp'ians comfortablynumb, mercedised, SS-Traveller,Red Liner, MileCruncher for inputs on this issue.

Hoping that I won't have to bother Mahindra Customer Care again, let's see, till then I would continue recommending Scorpio and Mahindra Customer Care :-).

Last edited by ScorpWarp : 6th September 2011 at 00:12. Reason: correction
Old 6th September 2011, 09:14   #2435
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srirajkota View Post
Thanks SS !! any good place you can kindly let me know where (in delhi) I can get this diagnosed without getting ripped off ?
PM me if you haven't got it done already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Took it to my local mech,to get it fixed and he gave it a permanent fix by removing that rubber stopper.
A permanent fix sounds interesting (and tempting!). How did he do it? What did he replace the rubber stopper with?
Old 6th September 2011, 09:25   #2436
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpWarp View Post
The alternator repair was completed by afternoon, they had also topped up the break fluid and fixed other minor issue. The car was washed and delivered to my house in the evening. They also sent the broken alternator bearing and other parts in a separate bag, may as well keep them as a reminedr of first issue :-) I did not have to pay a single penny!
Excellent! Thanks for the update. Did the folks at the ASC tell you the cause of the alternator bearing and oil seal going kaput so soon at 26k kms?

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 6th September 2011, 13:14   #2437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
PM me if you haven't got it done already.

A permanent fix sounds interesting (and tempting!). How did he do it? What did he replace the rubber stopper with?
i am not really sure,as my bro got it done.
Will confirm and revert ASAP.
Old 6th September 2011, 13:51   #2438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
The cooled (pressure) air from the intercooler should be going to the engine!
My mistake sire. Should have read - Especially the red hose (at least that was the colour in my Scorp) that brings the air to the intercooler from the turbo.
Isn't that right - the red hose part ?
Old 6th September 2011, 13:59   #2439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
My mistake sire. Should have read - Especially the red hose (at least that was the colour in my Scorp) that brings the air to the intercooler from the turbo.
Isn't that right - the red hose part ?
Also the intake pipe to an intercooler will always be Red. Its there to denote hot surface and caution for touching!
Old 6th September 2011, 14:06   #2440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Hi SS-T,
I should think not !
Normally they replace the rubber stopper with a hard plastic button one of those flat head fastner types - grey in colour. I had that done once on my Scorp - worked well for sometime - but the problem arose after about a year. What happens is that the brake switch (like the clutch swith) has a plastic (?) plunger which is pushed by the rubber stopper and in due course of time the rubber stopper wears out. With the plastic/hard stopper the plastic (?) plunger of the switch slowly gets deformed and starts getting stuck in the body and doesn't engage or disengage properly.
Had this issue once and the brake switch had to be replaced again - thankfully though under warranty.
I think the rubber stopper is the ideal replacement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Also the intake pipe to an intercooler will always be Red. Its there to denote hot surface and caution for touching!
In my Scorp that red hose had turned grey-black thanks to all the oil wicking/seepage and attendant muck sticking to it. It used to cheer up after the oil separator change/s and the engine bay spray wash and go back to its black mood again after some time !

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 6th September 2011 at 14:41.
Old 6th September 2011, 21:38   #2441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Not necessary, color can be anything, whats important is the hose material and its properties. But yes, red acts as a deterrent. Either ways, you are not supposed to tinker around in that area.

Spike
Old 7th September 2011, 10:10   #2442
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi SS-T,
I should think not !
Normally they replace the rubber stopper with a hard plastic button...
You're right - I wouldn't want a hard metal or plastic replacement there. I was wondering whether a tear-resistant silicone material could be used for a more durable result, and whether such a thing is available.
Old 7th September 2011, 13:08   #2443
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions - Use of spurious/ defective Clutch parts

You may recall that I had changed the Clutch Plate assembly in my Scorpio last month in preparation for my Ladakh trip. I had also reported my apprehensions that the parts used by the M&M ASC Global Gallarie, Thane, were suspected to be non-genuine and based on my report here in this forum, a M&M person stepped in and assured me that the parts used were genuine.

Let me give you the shocking update now!

I completed my 24-day Ladakh trip 2 days ago. While returning from Ladakh, before Pathankot I realised that the engine was "racing" - meaning that the rev was going flat in the 3-5th gears momentarily. I called on M&M ASC Krishna Autoworld at Pathankot and based on their recommendation, the entire clytch plate assembly was dismounted and checked. The results were:

- Clutch Plate was OK, but apparently "sticky"

Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-07092011008.jpg

- Clutch Pressure Plate was OK, but there were unusual abrasion marks where the Clutch Release Bearing engaged

Notice the wear-out marks in teh brand-new Cltch Pressure Plate where the CRB engages
Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-07092011006.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-07092011007.jpg

- But the Clutch Release Bearing showed unusual abrasion - in fact, there were deep score marks on the CRB, something which should not happen, it being a heat-treated component. Very clearly, the CRB metal was soft and was getting prematurely worn out. I was shocked to see it so - even the old CRB I had discarded last month after 1.35 lakh kms of use did not have a single score mark in it.

Notice how deeply grooved is the CRB where it engages with the CPressure Plate
Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-07092011.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-07092011004.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-07092011005.jpg

IN any case, the CRB is the hardest and longest-lasting component in the whole assembly and there is no way it should have got so deformed in under 8,000 kms! Please remember that my clutch plates have lasted very long - really very long - and in my 2.87 lakh kms of driving, I have changed the CP at 95,000, 140,000 and 275,000 kms.

This episode blows the lid off the rot at M&M ASCs - and maybe at M&M itself - of selling shoddy sub-standard non-spec components to unsuspecting customers. Had my Scorpio broken down in any of the high passes in Ladakh, you can imagine my plight. But luckily, the sturdy Scorpio made it well, my good luck.

I am uploading photos here of the various components - I replaced the entire Clutch Plate assembly at Pathankot since I lost total confidence in the parts fitted by Global Gallarie, the so-called "best" dealer of M&M.

BTW, the M&M guy who contacted me after the last problem refused to respond to my SMS - sent from Pathankot - and his phone is not responding. Mahindra attitudes hamesha!!!!

Last edited by hvkumar : 7th September 2011 at 13:10.
Old 7th September 2011, 13:18   #2444
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ This is indeed shocking. You had replaced everything including CP, pressure plate and CRB IIRC, before you left.

Check the manufacturing date on the bearing if it's still legible (not likely given the kind of abrasion shown in your pic).

Abrasion marks on the pressure plate fingers appears to be one-sided. Poor alignment and fitment when the job was carried out? The pressure plate fingers were apparently not being released completely, resulting in clutch slippage.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 7th September 2011 at 13:20.
Old 7th September 2011, 13:21   #2445
Senior - BHPian

@HVK: Did the Pathankot dealer offer warranty on the part or did you have to pay for the whole clutch kit again? I remember M&M offers 6 month warranty on spare parts.

I also feel you need to raise a stink about this to the senior guys in M&M.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks