Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2011, 14:56   #2401
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
What would be the overall height increase after installing a rooftop carrier (say Hiker). Why I am asking this is there is a height limitation in the parking slot (81 inches /206cms, ie 3 inches extra over the Scorpio height)
If you mean something like the one shown below, then I'd guess that the height increase is definitely more than 3 inches.

Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-classique.jpg

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2011, 17:55   #2402
BHPian

Hi,

Need help here. I did PDI of my allotted vehicle in the dealer location. The vehicle is in excellent condition. Checked the VIN and it is July 2011 manufactured.

On the M&M metal panel below the bonnet; I observed that it is printed as SLE 2WD BS4 7SF.
But, the vehicle I did the PDI was 8 seater. So, it should have been 8FF.
My vehicle is going for registration on Friday. But, I am confused because of this difference.

Should I go ahead with the registration?
Will there any problem with RTO in the future?
Should I ask for other new vehicle?
whats the possibility of this difference?

Please advice.
Old 31st August 2011, 08:52   #2403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion76 View Post
Hi,

Need help here. I did PDI of my allotted vehicle in the dealer location. The vehicle is in excellent condition. Checked the VIN and it is July 2011 manufactured.

On the M&M metal panel below the bonnet; I observed that it is printed as SLE 2WD BS4 7SF.
But, the vehicle I did the PDI was 8 seater. So, it should have been 8FF.
My vehicle is going for registration on Friday. But, I am confused because of this difference.

Should I go ahead with the registration?
Will there any problem with RTO in the future?
Should I ask for other new vehicle?
whats the possibility of this difference?

Please advice.
Looks like the change has happened at the dealer end. If the original vehicle invoice says 7 seater, it will get registered as 7 seater. I would suggest insisting on a 8 seater vehicle.
Old 31st August 2011, 11:42   #2404
Senior - BHPian

Does the description on the plate match the seat configuration, that is the 7SF a seven seater, or is an 8 seater.

If the plate is correct then you can insist on an 8 seater vehicle.

If the plate is not correct then, you have to take it up with M&M, as this is a serious flaw.
Old 1st September 2011, 16:17   #2405
BHPian

Hi Everybody,

I bought my Scorpio in last April, it has run almost 8200Kms now. Recently I have noticed a problem with gear shift from 4th to 3rd. When I shift to 3rd from 4th, the it tends to slip to the 1st and it often needs one more try to to put into 3rd.

Has anybody experienced the same? Any clues?
Old 3rd September 2011, 16:16   #2406
BHPian

Hi All,
Hoping that Scorpio veterans can help me here. I have a 2009 Scorpio VLX, about to complete 2 years and run 26000 Km. Recently I noticed that random warning lights in dash board started flashing, headlights getting fried, horn sound change, blower speed variation event at same setting, changes in headlight beam intensity and most alarmingly the handbrake and ABS warning glowing together randomly and I think I heard ABS chatter once. Visited the Wakad workshop who gave all clear twice but the problem persisted so now the vehicle is at milestone. Since last 2 days. What I am being told is that the alternator is the culprit. There is some problem with it and hence the voltage regulation and hence all the issues with warning lights, headlights etc. I would be in workshop for 4 days.
The question I have are:
1. Am I the only one with the 'alternator' issues in Scorpio VLX micro hybreed?
2. Vehicle is still under 2 year warranty but they say alternator is not covered ? am I being taken for ride ? I have contacted Mahindra Help but no response yet.
3. How much should I expect to pay to repair or replace the alternator ?
4. Would the low brake fluid cause issues with ABS chatter ?

Looking forward to you help
Regards

Last edited by ScorpWarp : 3rd September 2011 at 16:19.
Old 3rd September 2011, 16:36   #2407
Senior - BHPian

@ScorpWarp: It seems to me the battery issue. Either the battery terminals are loose or the ground on the vehicle needs tobe checked. Alternator is covered under warranty (I don't own a Scorpio but Alternator is not a regular wear and tear part).

Don't pay a penny to replace or anything, they must do it free of cost.
mercedised is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2011, 17:27   #2408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
@ScorpWarp: It seems to me the battery issue. Either the battery terminals are loose or the ground on the vehicle needs tobe checked. Alternator is covered under warranty (I don't own a Scorpio but Alternator is not a regular wear and tear part).

Don't pay a penny to replace or anything, they must do it free of cost.
Thanks Mercedised, Just got an update from Milestone.

The alternator is TVS Lucas, one bearing and the oil seal is gone. Total cost to repair the alternator is approx 5K.

They still are not ready to cover it under warranty. Time to speak to the sales dealer I think.

The ABS issues is due to low brake fluid.
Old 3rd September 2011, 20:13   #2409
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpWarp View Post
2. Vehicle is still under 2 year warranty but they say alternator is not covered ? am I being taken for ride ?
Oh yes you are! Make sure you register a written complaint with M&M (on email) before the 2year warranty expires. If your vehicle is of October 2009 registration, IIRC M&M was offering a free 4-year extended warranty package for that month to Scorpio buyers (which otherwise cost Rs.9999). You might want to follow up on this issue too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudheermenon View Post
...a problem with gear shift from 4th to 3rd. When I shift to 3rd from 4th, the it tends to slip to the 1st and it often needs one more try to to put into 3rd. ...Any clues?
Looks like a gearshift linkage issue requiring some adjustment of the linkages.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 3rd September 2011 at 20:16.
Old 3rd September 2011, 20:19   #2410
BHPian

In my safari the alternator is TVS Lucas I guess.

I got it serviced at a roadside shop as a preventive maintenance. They changed the brush (although it was not required), rewired the armature etc. and replaced some parts, and the total cost was less than Rs. 2000.

You could also take it to a TVS Lucas shop.

But as mercedised suggested, this seems to be a problem with circuit and not alternator.

Last edited by sumannandy : 3rd September 2011 at 20:20.
Old 3rd September 2011, 20:23   #2411
BANNED

Friends,

I have this two issues repeatedly,both are electrical related:
1. Break lamp goes off only after 3 minutes after the car stops (engine off, keys out and even the doors locked centrally). I can't enjoy this as a feature.
2. Rear door is disconnected from the central locking. No warning in voice or with sirens. Resulted twice I ws running the vehicle with the read door opened dangerously. This is the 5th time in my 2 years, no permanent solution.

Also, going for the 30k kms service. I need your advice/ checklist for servicing. I also like to change oil and move to synthetic. Your support is highly appreciated.
Old 3rd September 2011, 20:32   #2412
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
1. Break lamp goes off only after 3 minutes after the car stops (engine off, keys out and even the doors locked centrally).
There's a little rubber pad on the brake pedal that wears out, and the brake light switch remains actuated even when the brake pedal is not pressed. Takes 2 minutes to change, costs about Rs.7, is an idiotic design in all Scorpios, and you learn to live with it after a while, replacing them as you go.
Quote:
2. Rear door is disconnected from the central locking. No warning in voice or with sirens.
Your door switch is not working. Needs to be opened and the contacts cleaned. Again, a five minute job.
Quote:
I also like to change oil and move to synthetic.
You might want to read this (The difference between synthetic and mineral motor oil) before wanting to spend the extra amount on synthetic engine oil.
Quote:
Misconceptions
One of the biggest misconceptions in the synthetic vs. mineral debate is that synthetic oil lasts longer. While the synthetic lubricant is of higher quality and may last longer, the additives in synthetic oil are essentially the same as in mineral oil and will degrade at the same rate. As a result, oil changes should be performed just as often.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2011, 20:35   #2413
BANNED

I want to understand one thing, i made my cousin buy the Automatic Scorpio 2011. Its done 6000 odd kms, but every odd months it has this failure with the transmission. Is this an inherent issue with the Scorp or what, he's fed up of it right now since it spends more time at the A.S.S than at his parking lot. And lot was written about re-done suspension on the newer Scorpio's, but his Scorp bounces and jumps just like his old one (2007).He cant live without an SUV.

BTW, you guys might find it on the T-BHP Classifieds very soon. Time to say TATA.

Last edited by EARTHed : 3rd September 2011 at 20:37.
Old 3rd September 2011, 21:01   #2414
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHed View Post
...Automatic Scorpio 2011. Its done 6000 odd kms, but every odd months it has this failure with the transmission. Is this an inherent issue with the Scorp or what...
What kind of failures? Could you please elaborate about the diagnosis and repairs undertaken? We did hear a few horror stories about the Scorpio Automatic earlier too.
Old 3rd September 2011, 21:34   #2415
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
What kind of failures? Could you please elaborate about the diagnosis and repairs undertaken? We did hear a few horror stories about the Scorpio Automatic earlier too.
Its too much to explain

1) Fluid leakage
2) Gear shifting never happens
3) Shifting happens but car does not move forward
4) Shuddering

I am not too much of a technical guy, but many of us too are not too technically sound regarding machines, What i want is peace of mind. For the money paid the feature has to work. Why add all the features when it does not work. the 4x4 too was a huge failure (Not that my cousin does not know about 4WD, he's an avid gypsy 4WD guy) 10/10 times the 4WD has failed, most of it due to unwarranted clutch failure i have read similar stories on many Bangy OTR's where my fellow BHPíans have witnessed how sloppy the Scorpio's were, infact i've read, the Scorpio 4WD is the most UNRELIABLE of the lot.

What prompted me to make my cousin buy the Scorpio was, HVK-D-BHPían with his Scorp. Now seems its just one off Scorpio, Anyways the decision is made to say TATA Atleast their 4WD are RELIABLE.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks