Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2011, 08:05   #2386
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Hawk View Post
Couple of days ago, while negotiating a sharp curve on NH-219, i experienced a scary understeering effect. I failed to negotiate the curve as intended. I was not overspeeding and IMHO my effort on the steering was adequate but the scorpio didnt respond as it should. I drive mHawk SLE (2011)

Suggestions from Gurus will be helpful
What you experienced is the front end of the vehicle slipping in a turn. Was it a real tight turn ?I have experienced this twice and it felt like the Scorp wasn't ready to take the turn how I wanted it to. It was a real tight turn and had a plowing feel though.The front of the Scorp is real heavy and am speculating this could have led to the understeer on the front tires.

From what I know it's mostly is due to bald tires/bad suspension, in my case both can be ruled out coz I know the turn was the culprit.
Old 18th August 2011, 09:40   #2387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
What you experienced is the front end of the vehicle slipping in a turn. Was it a real tight turn ?I have experienced this twice and it felt like the Scorp wasn't ready to take the turn how I wanted it to. It was a real tight turn and had a plowing feel though.The front of the Scorp is real heavy and am speculating this could have led to the understeer on the front tires.

From what I know it's mostly is due to bald tires/bad suspension, in my case both can be ruled out coz I know the turn was the culprit.
Thanks rjstyles69.

Tires are fine because only 10K run and i dont think there is any issue with the suspension either.

Yes ! the turn was tight; and in my case too i think the turn could be the culprit.

NH

Last edited by Night_Hawk : 18th August 2011 at 09:41.
Old 18th August 2011, 09:52   #2388
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Hawk View Post
...IMHO my effort on the steering was adequate but the scorpio didnt respond as it should.
Were your tyre pressures accurate? Sounds like you had understeer due to variance of tyre pressure between the front & rear axle.
Old 18th August 2011, 10:29   #2389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Were your tyre pressures accurate? Sounds like you had understeer due to variance of tyre pressure between the front & rear axle.
Different/lesser tire pressure means more sidewall flex,I quite don't think sidewall flex could cause understeer. I could be wrong though.
Old 18th August 2011, 10:42   #2390
Distinguished - BHPian

Some related info about the role of tyre pressure in oversteer / understeer...
Tire Tech Information - Air Pressure for Competition Tires
Understeer - playing with tyre pressures
Understeer
Front tyre pressures/understeer? - Club Cobra
Old 18th August 2011, 13:48   #2391
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
After a drive this afternoon,i found this in the driver side footwell.
Tried,to look around,but was not able to find a place for this.
can anyone tell what is it,and where to fit it back?
AFAIK, this is a rubber stopper on the holes. I think this has come from door bottom or from under the seat.
Old 18th August 2011, 14:32   #2392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's a rubber stopper that's used as a brake switch and is fitted behind the brake pedal. If you check, now that this widget has come off, your brake light must be always remaining on when the engine is running. Once this rubber stopper is fixed again, it'll start working as expected, i.e. only on pressing the brakes .

Alert: Please, please check the working of your brakes properly once this stopper is fixed again. I had faced the same problem, and got it corrected from the ASC. But the first time around, they didn't fix it at the proper position, resulting in reducing the play of the brakes. This led to the brakes being always engaged very slightly, and I could feel that vehicle wasn't running as freely as before. This was confirmed when I touched the brake discs and found them hot to the touch [not warm]. Gave them a royal rocket, had it removed and fixed again, and made a mental note to take a test ride whenever anything to do with the brakes was done at the ASC.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 18th August 2011 at 14:36.
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2011, 14:47   #2393
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Vikram
At the recent service last week the stopper was replaced so may it's the old one and mech forgot to pick it up.
Brake lights are functioning normally.
So it might be the old one then.
Old 20th August 2011, 21:00   #2394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Akshay,
Appears this is the rubber stopper from the break assembly. This I guess is supposed to sit at the middle of the pedal assembly and depress the break switch when the pedal is released cutting off the brake light etc.
Could you please check if your break lights are perpetually on even after releasing the brake pedal - with the key in the 'ON' position or engine idling/running ? Simple task to push it back with the stem of the button going into the hole and the head facing the break switch button.
Check and do let us know !

Edit: Oops...saw other response/s a little late.

Last edited by Guderian : 20th August 2011 at 21:04.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2011, 08:20   #2395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_anurag View Post
The fan belt did not break but had come off. Nothing was changed. Only the belt was put on again.

I faced something similar problem yesterday. To my luck the problem did not happen while I was driving.

There was new M&M service station opened very close to my house. They called up couple of times to come and visit the place and get the service done. I had my second free service for 10K coming. Though these guys were close by, I dint wanted to take chance, and gave it to a well known M&M guy Sireesh auto. Though not impressive the service was done fine.

I drove about 1K km after the free service. I get a call again from this new M&M service "Chrome motors" guy saying they are running a free check up camp and invited me for the same. I thought it would be a chance to know these guys for future services.

In less than 15 mins the guy had a 75 point checklist ticked and said everything is checked and is fine. Strangely I had noticed belt noise the previous night, I suddenly recalled and mentioned the same to the SA. When observed the power steering and power brake belt had worn out and was almost in the verge of getting cut.

1. Now, how did this guy tick the 75 points checklist without noticing this?
2. Can the belt get to this state in 1K km drive? As my previous service was done at 10K km reading. So its hardly less than a month or 1K km driven after the service. The previous service guy at "Sireesh auto" dint notice the faulty belt.

Like you all said, it is unlikely for a belt to get worn out so soon. Not atleast for 10K km. I argued this point. They took photos and took about 1/2 an hour to come back and say "Ok it will be replaced with warranty".

While this was going on, another service guy looks at it and says. "You got to replace the tensioner too, as the faulty belt would have damaged it. The service manager disagreed to it and said only belt needs to be changed. He then calls this mechanic and thats it, that mechanic did not come close to my vehicle after that.

Now these service guy are running service station without the spare parts. For every part they need, they run around 10KM to get it. On any given day, 10 km travel in bangalore is 45 mins to 1 Hour. I get the belt after 1 and 1/2 hour and to realize that the belt was smaller.

3. How? I mean they don't know what is the size of the belt?

Ok, they took another 1 and 1/2 hour to get another belt. And guess what, they get the same size belt this time too.

It was already 5 hours passed and I was really impatient. I had no choice but to wait. I could not use the old belt and go, I would never know when it will get cut.

After another 1 and 1/2 hour another belt was received and this time it did fit well. The size was 1170 for others to know. They too the old faulty belt along to get the right size.

About the tensioner I don't know what made service manager feel otherwise. He replaced the tensioner too.

I gave my feedback about all the hungama they did to get the belt replaced. I drove back home thinking all problem solved. All this was just yesterday

I had to pick my wife from station early morning today at 6.30. When I started the engine I realized that power steering and power breaks are not working. I opened up the hood and saw that the belt has come out..

4. What the heck is happening here? I have called the help line and informed. May be they will come at 9 am today and rectify it. Even if they do I'm not sure if I can drive my vehicle without any fear of breakdown.

How can I trust these guys. I dint go to some local mechanic for the problem. They are authorized M&M service stations.

New service guys went up and down to just fix the belt which dint even last 5 km. Old service guys dint even check the fault. What kind of service is M&M providing? M&M need to really look at these and review their process man.

I'll update more about these again. Hoping I do get a satisfied resolution to this problem.
Old 28th August 2011, 13:50   #2396
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abacusv View Post
I faced something similar problem yesterday. To my luck the problem did not happen while I was driving.
Please send a stinker email to M&M customer care [email id can be found on the Scorpio website or in your user manual] about your experience and make sure that you put the word "COMPLAINT" in your email subject line. They do respond to customer complaints.

If you're in Bangalore, then I'd suggest that henceforth you stick to SKS for all your servicing needs. The general impression I've got till now, after reading feedback on various Scorpio ownership threads on this and other online forums, is that SKS is the best of the ASCs in B'lore w.r.t general servicing, repairs, troubleshooting and availability of spare parts.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 29th August 2011, 10:56   #2397
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure, If I should open another thread for this.
My Scorpio is nearing 30000 kms. Apart from the checks to made as per the the service booklet, Should I add anything further?

I want to change the Oil to Synthetic oil, any brand recommendation?

Thank you.
Old 30th August 2011, 10:47   #2398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Please send a stinker email to M&M customer care [email id can be found on the Scorpio website or in your user manual] about your experience and make sure that you put the word "COMPLAINT" in your email subject line. They do respond to customer complaints.
I did send a mail to them and got a call today from M&M Manager Mr Senthil. I told him the problem. Like I said before, the problem is not about fixing it when it occurs but ensuring that the problem does not happen. Not atleast after we get it serviced through the M&M A.S.C's.

Last edited by bblost : 30th August 2011 at 11:01. Reason: fixed quotes. thanks.
Old 30th August 2011, 11:45   #2399
BHPian

I had to pick my wife from station early morning today at 6.30. When I started the engine I realized that power steering and power breaks are not working. I opened up the hood and saw that the belt has come out..

[/quote]

I'm keeping a close watch on this thread and hope I don't face the same situation again.
Old 30th August 2011, 14:41   #2400
BHPian

What would be the overall height increase after installing a rooftop carrier (say Hiker). Why I am asking this is there is a height limitation in the parking slot (81 inches /206cms, ie 3 inches extra over the Scorpio height)

Already posted this in another thread, but did not got any replies.. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post2486546

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks