Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2011, 13:01   #2371
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUNKWN View Post
Hi guys, can anyone let me know how to adjust the engine idle speed of a Scorpio. Is it a DIY job.

Thanks
It is not DIY, as far as I know. The service center need to have the diagnostic laptop to hook up to your car.
Old 11th August 2011, 13:06   #2372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUNKWN View Post
Hi guys, can anyone let me know how to adjust the engine idle speed of a Scorpio. Is it a DIY job.

Thanks
Depends whether you have a CRDe or Turbo Diesel. But in either case its better to get it done at the service station.
Old 11th August 2011, 13:14   #2373
Senior - BHPian

I still don't get it, why such huge variations in the paid service costs?
In Punjab they are doing it for 800 bucks
Down south it's like 2700 bucks
Why so?
Can anyone shed some light?
Old 11th August 2011, 13:40   #2374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Why so?
And this seems to be the standard rate. But the GPS does include a whole lot of things like brake liner cleaning, hub greasing et al. These items ideally shouldn't be part of the service but atleast the Hyderabad Dealer M/s Automotive Manufacturers do that. As a matter of fact they do all that in the free service as well. The 15K service is 2700 for labour and 5k service labour is 600.

But am sure M&M has some explaining to do.
Old 12th August 2011, 06:33   #2375
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

last wednesday my 3.4 year old scorpio started overheating terribly so I checked the coolant and the inlet tube to the radiator. turned out the coolant was leaking and the tube was broken. so I filled it up with water and sent it off to the garage.
there was also a slight rusting problem which popped up on the right hand side ski rack towards the edge. this was sorted under warranty since I ve got the 4 year extended warranty on my vehicle.
the rest of the jobs including a complete interior shampoo cleaning and ac refresh, brake cleaning etc plus the normal 45000km service cost me around 5000Rs.
typically ive been observing the Scorpio costs around 18000 per annum to keep in perfect maintained order.
this might be considered expensive by some, but I dont mind the spend because I get superb reliability in return.
Old 12th August 2011, 06:37   #2376
Senior - BHPian

this is absolutely right. i find that rotating all 5 tyres every 5000 km ensures that they are kept in good nick overall. every 10000 km I flip the tyres around on their wheels, to give an even wear and tear - they are not unidirectional tyres so this is not a problem. my tyres came with the vehicle and are now 3.4 years old and have run 45000 kms. last week the man from the service centre asked me whether I had changed my tyres because they still look pretty brand new. says a lot for timely and regular alignment, balancing and wheel rotation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@chandras:

Scorpio looses it's alignment pretty easily. I found out the hard way after a tire was chewed up. Now, I religiously check it every 2500 kms.
Old 12th August 2011, 06:46   #2377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
typically ive been observing the Scorpio costs around 18000 per annum to keep in perfect maintained order.
this might be considered expensive by some, but I dont mind the spend because I get superb reliability in return.
Is this including accidental repair, accessoriesor just service and repair If its just service then its quite high considering its more than Re1/km for a vehicle not even done 50K.
Old 12th August 2011, 06:51   #2378
Senior - BHPian

service, repairs if when and where necessary, minor accidental repairs when required, oil changes (which I do as per recommendation) and regular brake checks, interiors cleaning, ac refresh etc.
the AC refresh costs about 600 bucks, the inside shampoo cleaning costs about 1000 bucks. brakes checking and cleaning brake pads including labour comes to 1000 bucks. hence every time I give it for servicing - which is around 3 times a year approx, this 2600 bucks is a given expense.
the rest of it is the other stuff. that is how 18 grand. But at least the car is in top condition and I dont hesitate before leaping into it and buzzing off to the wilds anytime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Is this including accidental repair, accessoriesor just service and repair If its just service then its quite high considering its more than Re1/km for a vehicle not even done 50K.
Old 12th August 2011, 07:55   #2379
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
...brakes checking and cleaning brake pads including labour comes to 1000 bucks.
A routine brake check costs you Rs.1000/-??? Why would you want to clean pads at every service?
Old 12th August 2011, 09:44   #2380
Senior - BHPian

990 including labour
and i check them because I like them properly cleaned and adjusted since the roads where I live are practically non existent - full of mud, dirt, water, muck etc and I like to be absolutely sure that my brakes are pucca all the time. so far with this diligence I ve been able to prevent scratched discs, proper maintenance of the pads and removal of any deposits lurking inside. maybe it is not strictly necessary but like I said im a bit obsessive that my vehicle should be absolutely tip top at all times. I guess the fact that I service it only at the Authorized Centre must be adding something in terms of costs. But I feel more satisfied if it is looked after by proper authorized chaps rather than the road side mechanics. The vehicle is still under extended warranty so thats another contributing factor.
further - I forgot that the 18grand per annum also included the regular tyre balancing and alignment - this typically costs me around 1000 bucks each time I get it done approx thrice a year.
all this buzz around my vehicle keeps me in a peaceful mental state about its overall reliability anytime.
whatever it is, whoever buys my vehicle in the used market will at least be happy with it - hopefully I shall build up some good karma this way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
A routine brake check costs you Rs.1000/-??? Why would you want to clean pads at every service?

Last edited by shankar.balan : 12th August 2011 at 09:46.
Old 13th August 2011, 16:23   #2381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Why so?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
And this seems to be the standard rate. But the GPS does include a whole lot of things like brake liner cleaning, hub greasing et al. These items ideally shouldn't be part of the service but atleast the Hyderabad Dealer M/s Automotive Manufacturers do that. As a matter of fact they do all that in the free service as well. The 15K service is 2700 for labour and 5k service labour is 600.

But am sure M&M has some explaining to do.
I spoke to M&M about General paid service charges. They say that in Tier 1 cities, the 20k service cost is 2700 rupees as opposed to 1800Rs in Tier 2 cities. The works manager is going to call me from the dealer and explain the exact work carried out during these services. Plus, 2700/- doesnt include car wash. So that charge seems normal in Bangalore.

Regarding the seat warranty being void due to seat covers being put, they havent told me why they did this but they will look into it. Just to refresh, I was charged 360 rupees to tighten the seats when the vehicle is under warranty.

The engine flushing is another matter as now we are going into semantics of what mahindra recommended, authorized and optional mean. This will not be resolved, by the looks of it.

All in all, the routine service and maintance cost of a Scorpio in BLR is definitely 1 Re/KM. Whoever said it was cheap to maintain can go fly a kite. lol.

It will cost me 25 - 30k a year in maintanence since I routinely do 2k-2.5k KMs atleast every month. (I have done 24k Kms in 9 months or so)

It is reliable though, I have no complaints since I dont mind taking my car to the middle of nowhere at night and I know the car wont quit on me.
Old 15th August 2011, 10:39   #2382
Senior - BHPian

scorpio is reasonable to maintain - lets say one spends around 100 litres-125 litres of Diesel per month - around 5 grand. then around 1500 per month (more or less as per my experience) on maintenance. running costs come to around 78000 per annum.
say one typically does around 1200-1500 kms per month - lets say 15000 km per annum pretty much.
effectively the vehicle costs me around 5Rs per km including both Fuel plus maintenance.
Maintenance alone will be Re1 - 1.25 per km approx and diesel another Rs4/- per km, going by the above set of numbers.
This is not bad really.
I will endorse what you say about reliability - all M&M vehicles are usually reliable - they wont die on you in the middle of nowhere provided you care for them reasonably well with preventive maintenance and servicing.
but regarding comfort, ergonomics, safety features, modernity etc they are abysmal beasts. M&M really need to get their act together on these fronts instead of focussing on the cosmetic aspects like they are currently doing. This is what get my goat - because these vehicles are by no means cheap to buy in my opinion, given what they have to offer.
as of this moment the M&M chaps are busily milking their products and making hay while the sun shines.
soon they will get some rude shocks hopefully, in the form of things like the Duster etc which are likely to offer a far better overall all round package for the money one pays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak916 View Post
The engine flushing is another matter as now we are going into semantics of what mahindra recommended, authorized and optional mean. This will not be resolved, by the looks of it.

All in all, the routine service and maintance cost of a Scorpio in BLR is definitely 1 Re/KM. Whoever said it was cheap to maintain can go fly a kite. lol.

It will cost me 25 - 30k a year in maintanence since I routinely do 2k-2.5k KMs atleast every month. (I have done 24k Kms in 9 months or so)

It is reliable though, I have no complaints since I dont mind taking my car to the middle of nowhere at night and I know the car wont quit on me.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 15th August 2011 at 10:42.
Old 16th August 2011, 12:50   #2383
BHPian

Couple of days ago, while negotiating a sharp curve on NH-219, i experienced a scary understeering effect. I failed to negotiate the curve as intended. I was not overspeeding and IMHO my effort on the steering was adequate but the scorpio didnt respond as it should. I drive mHawk SLE (2011)

I dont call it a near miss but it was a close call with a Road transport bus coming from the oppsoite direction. I had to step on the brakes and ABS perfomed well and an undesirable event was evaded.

Suggestions from Gurus will be helpful
Old 16th August 2011, 13:19   #2384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
this is absolutely right. i find that rotating all 5 tyres every 5000 km ensures that they are kept in good nick overall. every 10000 km I flip the tyres around on their wheels, to give an even wear and tear - they are not unidirectional tyres so this is not a problem. my tyres came with the vehicle and are now 3.4 years old and have run 45000 kms. last week the man from the service centre asked me whether I had changed my tyres because they still look pretty brand new. says a lot for timely and regular alignment, balancing and wheel rotation!
Completely agree with Shankar! I also do the same every 5k km and my car has done ~52000 and the tyres look pretty sharp still!
Old 17th August 2011, 22:38   #2385
Senior - BHPian

After a drive this afternoon,i found this in the driver side footwell.
Tried,to look around,but was not able to find a place for this.
can anyone tell what is it,and where to fit it back?
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-img_0921.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-img_0924.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks