Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2011, 12:40   #2341
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

The battery low indicator has come on twice during cold starts on my Scorpio MHawk till date, in less than a month since i got it. On both occasions, it went off immediately after i drove off from standstill.

Something to be bothered about?
On both occasions, i think i had driven the vehicle through rains the previous day.
Old 8th August 2011, 13:25   #2342
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
The battery low indicator...
On the dashboard (is there such a thing)? Or is it the 'magic eye' window you have on the battery itself?
Old 9th August 2011, 09:10   #2343
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
On the dashboard (is there such a thing)? Or is it the 'magic eye' window you have on the battery itself?
This is the indicator i was referring to :

Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-copy-img_1272.jpg

I also noticed today that when i press the horn for an extended beep, the sound is not consistent, and varies. Signs pointing towards a weak battery, perhaps?
Old 9th August 2011, 09:43   #2344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I also noticed today that when i press the horn for an extended beep, the sound is not consistent, and varies. Signs pointing towards a weak battery, perhaps?
Possible, or a loose contact. Open, clean and tighten the battery cables on terminals.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2011, 10:36   #2345
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is the indicator i was referring to :

Attachment 590738
That's the alternator charging indicator.

When you start up first thing in the morning, the alternator doesn't show any output because the rotor isn't energized adequately (doesn't receive enough voltage from the battery to be produce current at the rpm it is spinning, i.e. at idling). Blip the throttle to rev up to perhaps 1200-1300 rpm, and the light should go out as the alternator starts to produce current.

Doesn't indicate a low battery. I have the same 'feature' on my vehicle . IMO the alternator would need a smaller pulley to make it spin faster at idling rpm, to eliminate this issue (but this is not something that would cause any problem though).

And have the horn connections checked for loose contact - or it could be that water splash got into the horns.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2011, 16:29   #2346
Senior - BHPian

The hawk is going for its first paid service tommorow at 20K.
I am sticking to 10K oil change interval,so wont be changing it now,as it was done at 15K kms.
How much does a paid service cost for a Mhawk?
and whats the cost of the fuel filter?
Anything special that i need to take care of?
vehicle has been running fine otherwise.
Old 9th August 2011, 19:47   #2347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
The hawk is going for its first paid service tommorow at 20K.
I am sticking to 10K oil change interval,so wont be changing it now,as it was done at 15K kms.
How much does a paid service cost for a Mhawk?
and whats the cost of the fuel filter?
Anything special that i need to take care of?
vehicle has been running fine otherwise.
Hello Akshay,

My last service bill @ 20k cost me about 7500/- at Bangalore. I havent done anything special other than what was described in the manual.

funny thing happened ... the seats were making some noise so I told them about it before handing over the vehicle. They tightened the nuts and bolts but they charged me (200Rs) for it saying - "since you have put seat covers to your vehicle from outside, the warranty on the seat is void!"

The seatcovers were put without removing the seats.. it was just a plug-n-play however I was in no mood to argue.

That said, they changed the front suspension link rods under warranty (100% FOC) when i dint even say that i had a problem with them. They said, the vehicle was "floating" during the SA's test drive so they changed it.
ak916 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2011, 20:06   #2348
BHPian

Hello Akshay,

i don't think you need to do anything else at 20k service other than asking them to do a general checkup and top up all other oils.

Max bill will be 500rs. , that's it. anything above this will be a rip off. so be careful , the ASC will keep adding this and that into the job card which u have to watch like a hawk and flatly deny it. otherwise the bill is going to be 2 to 3k. if u do the washing , interior cleaning etc.

Ak916,

I think you had been taken for a ride, which ASC are you going for the Service ? seat covers and warranty void !!! whatta conjob !! u should have shouted the hell out of them ... if you simply keep quiet with ASC's , this is what happens !! even with a Oil change which i do every 5k my bill never crossed 3k.

Raghu..

Last edited by vraghuz : 9th August 2011 at 20:10.
vraghuz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2011, 22:14   #2349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak916 View Post
Hello Akshay,

My last service bill @ 20k cost me about 7500/- at Bangalore. I havent done anything special other than what was described in the manual.

funny thing happened ... the seats were making some noise so I told them about it before handing over the vehicle. They tightened the nuts and bolts but they charged me (200Rs) for it saying - "since you have put seat covers to your vehicle from outside, the warranty on the seat is void!"

The seatcovers were put without removing the seats.. it was just a plug-n-play however I was in no mood to argue.

That said, they changed the front suspension link rods under warranty (100% FOC) when i dint even say that i had a problem with them. They said, the vehicle was "floating" during the SA's test drive so they changed it.
7500,that's quite a lot in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vraghuz View Post
Hello Akshay,

i don't think you need to do anything else at 20k service other than asking them to do a general checkup and top up all other oils.

Max bill will be 500rs. , that's it. anything above this will be a rip off. so be careful , the ASC will keep adding this and that into the job card which u have to watch like a hawk and flatly deny it. otherwise the bill is going to be 2 to 3k. if u do the washing , interior cleaning etc.

Ak916,

I think you had been taken for a ride, which ASC are you going for the Service ? seat covers and warranty void !!! whatta conjob !! u should have shouted the hell out of them ... if you simply keep quiet with ASC's , this is what happens !! even with a Oil change which i do every 5k my bill never crossed 3k.

Raghu..
Thanks raghu,apart from topping up and cleaning,diesel filter needs to be changed,how much does it cost?
Old 9th August 2011, 22:58   #2350
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Akshay,

Raghu..
Thats quite true indeed!

Quote:
Hello Akshay,

About the void seat warranty and the seat covers allegedly responsible for this, tomorrow they may say that if non- family members are seated on the seats, the warranty becomes void!
The front suspension link rod change also shows the ASSC's doubtful integrity. It will be better to go to a better outlet the next time!
Old 10th August 2011, 08:27   #2351
BHPian

Akshay,

You don't need to change the diesel filter in 20k, it can be done either on 30k or 40k, the M & M says , change it on 40k. it will cost you around 2.5k.

You can change it if you have done a lot of highway travel and also if u suspect you had done some diesel filling at not so reliable pumps.but 20k is too early to change it. i changed my diesel filter at 40k.

Regds
Raghu.
Old 10th August 2011, 09:32   #2352
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...the seats were making some noise so I told them about it before handing over the vehicle. They tightened the nuts and bolts but they charged me (200Rs) for it...
What rubbish! Raise a complaint on email with the M&M customer care people, asking for your money back.
Quote:
Link rods don't need changing, the bushes wear out and can be changed individually. And that too, not at 20k km (unless you've been constantly off-roading!).

Something very fishy at this ASC.
Old 10th August 2011, 09:35   #2353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks raghu,apart from topping up and cleaning,diesel filter needs to be changed,how much does it cost?
Quote:
Akshay, You don't need to change the diesel filter in 20k, it can be done either on 30k or 40k, the M & M says , change it on 40k. it will cost you around 2.5k.
Umm, actually Akshay is right. The diesel filter does need to be changed at 20k kms. It says so in the service schedule listed in the manual.

@Akshay, I'll look up my 20k kms service bill after reaching home today & tell you how much the filter costs.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 10th August 2011, 11:33   #2354
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Ak, which service center is this? As the others have mentioned, escalate this issue to M&M customer care, you would definitely get your money back. Also, please list the name of the dealer here, so others can be better informed of their practices.
Old 10th August 2011, 11:47   #2355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.How much does a paid service cost for a Mhawk?and whats the cost of the fuel filter?Anything special that i need to take care of? vehicle has been running fine otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
@Akshay, I'll look up my 20k kms service bill after reaching home today & tell you how much the filter costs.
Here you go with the consumables for the 20k paid service.Add the price of 6 ltrs of engine oil also to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
The list of works to be attended to last week when I dropped the car was The bill break up is as below
  • Rubber Stopper = 7.00
  • Tail Lamp Bulb = 12.44
  • Oil Filter Element = 132.38
  • Fuel Filter = 1425.53
  • Washing = 450
  • General Paid Service = 2700.00
  • Engine Flushing = 682.00
  • Fabrication Work = 120.00
==================================
Final Bill + Taxes = 6150/-
==================================
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks