Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2011, 09:04   #2311
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Spike,
Thanks many! Its SLE 2010 model. Here goes the readings...

Front Axle - Camber
left: BEFORE: 1.04 AFTER: 1.05 (Per WA this was the concern)
right: BEFORE: 0.25 AFTER: 0.24
Cross: BEFORE: 0.39 AFTER: 0.41 (Per WA this was the concern)

Caster:
left: BEFORE: 2.30 AFTER: 2.31
right: BEFORE: 2.35 AFTER: 2.35
cross: BEFORE: -0.05 AFTER: -0.04

TOE:
left: BEFORE: 1.00mm AFTER:1.7mm
right: BEFORE: 3.3mm AFTER: 1.7mm
total: BEFORE: 4.3 mm AFTER: 3.3mm

PS: The WA adjusted only the toe settings
Old 19th July 2011, 10:08   #2312
Senior - BHPian

Caster is OK'ish. Camber & Cross camber are out. Your SA was right, ask him to reduce the Camber on the LHS and bring the cross camber within 30 seconds. Toe is slightly out, bring it to under 3 mm and you will be following the specs. Before WA do ensure the other related parameters are OK.

Spike
Old 19th July 2011, 11:58   #2313
BHPian

Spike, thanks many, From what you say the WA folks were right ? I showed the report to the SA @ Sireesh auto and they still claimed that everything is in order . Looks like I need to escalate this

Last edited by chandras1 : 19th July 2011 at 12:00.
Old 19th July 2011, 14:43   #2314
Senior - BHPian

Engine Check Light

While driving (Scorpio Crde 2007, 70Kon the Odo)to Lonavala on 15th for Examm the engine check light suddenly started flashing. Called and went to the Bharuich ASC, they checked it with the lappy, it said a EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) problem, the valve was not closing, a 5 amp fuse under the dash was blowing and the modulator to which 4/5 tubes are connected was acting up.

Changed the fuse, cleaned and refixed all the modulator tubes and the computer showed OK. Took for a test drive in 2 kms, the check light came on again. At the ASC found the fuse blown again, they were closing for lunch time and we were in a hurry to get to Lonavala, already we had lost 3 hours there!!! Checking all the wirings under the dash and tracing that short would take a long time.

The chief guy (was very good and thorough) said this would was OK, we can check it later, only CO2 emission would be greater. As long as there's no compression loss and the temp guage does not climb beyond half way mark, there's nothing to worry.

We drove all the way to Lonavala and back with the light blinking, it's still on.

Is it ok to keep it running till week end, I get time off only then.

What else could be the problem?

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Ramky
======
Old 19th July 2011, 16:20   #2315
Senior - BHPian

You can run the car-- only the emissions will be higher. I think your EGR has packed up. Scorpios have had problems with sticky EGR valves. Does the fuse blow after turbo kick in--> more boost?

Spike
Old 20th July 2011, 10:29   #2316
Senior - BHPian

Further bad experiences at Global Gallarie, Thane, this Monday when I visited them to replace the Clutch Plate.

- The bolts fastening the clutch casing were worn out - they are allen bolts - but the ASC does not have new bolts, so the old ones had to be fitted back. Don't know if it is going to loosen up next time!

- I found my speedo/odo not working after reaching home, realised that they must not have fitted the speedo sensor - which is attached to the gear box, and has to be detached when you change the clutch plate - properly. When I call them up the next day, I am told to come only between 9 am - 6 pm to fix something which is their mistake (and I am at work between 730 am - 730 pm, which means that is impossible). This is a 5 minute job any mechanic can do - and mechanics stay back late for jobs at the ASC - or the least the ASC could have done is to depute a mechanic (and my house is 5 minutes away from the ASC) and get it refitted. But that is the service, the Global Gallarie way. Ultimately, I went under the car myself yesterday evening, removed the speedo sensor, cleaned all the connectors (which were filled with muck, previously the reason for the non-working) and refitted it, it now woks fine. Example of how the part was refitted without even doing the basic cleaning of connectors, something that should be part of the maintenance drill.

- One of the flywheel ring teeth had chipped off and that also had to be changed.

- The clutch plate did not come in M&M packaging although the plate has the VALEO stamping on it (and VALEO is the OEM for M&M), but am unsure if it is the original or some duplicate part. Why is the ASC not stocking parts in M&M wrapping? Do you think this is a duplicate which the ASC is cheating customers with?
Old 20th July 2011, 10:51   #2317
Senior - BHPian

Parts (specially Clutch) must come in a M&M wrapping and must have "Genuine spares" or something similar written on it. Did you see any part nos. marked near the center hole?

Spike
Old 20th July 2011, 11:23   #2318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Parts (specially Clutch) must come in a M&M wrapping and must have "Genuine spares" or something similar written on it. Did you see any part nos. marked near the center hole?

Spike
The pressure plate, clutch plate cover, pilot bearing, clutch release bearing and the flywheel ring came in original M&M packaging, but the clutch plate alone came loose - it had VALEO (the OEM supplier) written on it and also some part number, but the photo I have taken of it is not very good (but is uploaded here nonetheless).

I now apprehend that this ASC is palming off non-genuine parts since they are kn own for sharp practices. I get from the internal grapevine that they "fix" any customer complaints with M&M and ensure that their ratings are not affected. My past experience with M&M is that making complaints to senior personnel is a total waste of time and they are non-responsive and indifferent to customers. Ask me, my SCorpio has run 2.77 lakh kms and you can imagine how many times I must have visited the ASCs in different parts of India and what all problems I must have faced. Obviously, everyone cannot keep changing cars just because the manufacturer or the ASC is bad, one has to suffer it all. Is any one better? Being an activist also comes at a high price.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-18072011003.jpg  

Old 20th July 2011, 12:28   #2319
Senior - BHPian

^^ Don't worry this looks genuine. Clutch when sold as spares may be being sold without the orange-white packing, it is this same way being supplied in production also. Usually, there is a part no. or a dotted marking (green dot, blue dot) on the clutches, although not visible in the pic. So don't worry about the clutch.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2011, 12:40   #2320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^ Don't worry this looks genuine. Clutch when sold as spares may be being sold without the orange-white packing, it is this same way being supplied in production also. Usually, there is a part no. or a dotted marking (green dot, blue dot) on the clutches, although not visible in the pic. So don't worry about the clutch.

Spike
Thanks for the reassurance! I was a little worried when I saw the plate without packing, and at least one insider there cautioned me that it is a "duplicate" but then I decided to let it go, hopefully it will work out OK. The replaced Clutch Plate lasted 1.32 lakh kms, I do hope that I get good life with this one too!
Old 20th July 2011, 12:47   #2321
Senior - BHPian

Do you have the old clutch with you? If yes, can you post pic of that worn out clutch? 1.32L Kms is a very good life.

Spike
Old 20th July 2011, 13:02   #2322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you have the old clutch with you? If yes, can you post pic of that worn out clutch? 1.32L Kms is a very good life.

Spike
Yes, here is the photo of the old clutch plate. I changed it as a preventive maintenance measure, not comfortable with it breaking down. I had no visible symptoms of worn out clutch, but I am going to Ladakh next month and nothing but the best will do. However, both the pilot and clutch release bearings were in a bad shape, so said the mechanic. Moreover, it was good I opened up the clutch now, one of the flywheel ring teeth had broken and the risk of more breakages was high (this is the first time I am changing the ring).

MY earlier experience with clutch plates has been:

- my first change at 95,000 kms, because I was not comfortable in riding it farther, apprehending breakdown, and it was found that the CP could have gone at least 165-20 K kms more

- But the ASC Global Gallarie messed up here big time. Despite my having cross-echecked that all parts were available in store, on -Day, the Clutch Release Bearing was not available and I was loath to keep it there indefinitely for the CRB to arrive. So a used CRB was put in, and that must have contributed to premature wearing out of that CP, I had to change it just 50K kms later at 1.44 lakh kms.

- After that, this is the change at 2.77 lakh kms.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-18072011001.jpg  

Old 29th July 2011, 10:30   #2323
Senior - BHPian

Let me report a wierd call I received on Monday from someone called Sashank (9820110353) claiming to be from M&M enquiring solicitously about the issue about the "duplicate" clutch plates that I had written about above in this Forum. He wanted to know what happened and agreed with me that it was unacceptable and that he will make enquiries and revert within Tuesday evening. He said he will give my car a "check up" (HA HA!). I suspect it to be a hoax call from someone in the dealership Global Gallarie itself because I have heard that they "fix" complaints so that their overall rating does not get affected. The fact that I have not heard form them further reinforces my suspicion. M&M surely is one of the worst of the car companies in India. Needless to say, I have nothing to gain from chasing this guy so I have not called him up after that, although I saved the mobile number he called from.
Old 29th July 2011, 11:19   #2324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Let me report a wierd call I received on Monday from someone called Sashank (9820110353) claiming to be from M&M enquiring solicitously about the issue about the "duplicate" clutch plates that I had written about above in this Forum. He wanted to know what happened and agreed with me that it was unacceptable and that he will make enquiries and revert within Tuesday evening. He said he will give my car a "check up" (HA HA!). I suspect it to be a hoax call from someone in the dealership Global Gallarie itself because I have heard that they "fix" complaints so that their overall rating does not get affected. The fact that I have not heard form them further reinforces my suspicion. M&M surely is one of the worst of the car companies in India. Needless to say, I have nothing to gain from chasing this guy so I have not called him up after that, although I saved the mobile number he called from.
Not necessarily true. I apologise in advance not to offend you but I rode my first Bolero for ten years. I had written stinkers in the M&M web site complaining about how their service really sucked. Often someone from M&M did call and set things write. They also booted the asinine dealership that made me sad. I have had a bit of problem with the servicing of my new Storm but the dealership did the correction when I complained to the GM of the dealership. Today, I also got a call from the dealership inquiring if my vehicle was running fine.
I think the company does listen but I'm sure the bean counters won't let em go all the way. My experience has now convinced me that I must sack of my car within five years. After that maintenance becomes like a black hole.

Warm Regards,

Chaunfa
Old 29th July 2011, 11:33   #2325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaunfa View Post
Not necessarily true. I apologise in advance not to offend you but I rode my first Bolero for ten years. I had written stinkers in the M&M web site complaining about how their service really sucked. Often someone from M&M did call and set things write. They also booted the asinine dealership that made me sad. I have had a bit of problem with the servicing of my new Storm but the dealership did the correction when I complained to the GM of the dealership. Today, I also got a call from the dealership inquiring if my vehicle was running fine.
I think the company does listen but I'm sure the bean counters won't let em go all the way. My experience has now convinced me that I must sack of my car within five years. After that maintenance becomes like a black hole.

Warm Regards,

Chaunfa
I owned a Mahindra Commander (1994-99) and now the Mahindra Scorpio (2005 onwards) - so I guess you can call me a "loyal" M&M customer. Over the 11 years I have owned M&M vehicles, I have reported several problems & issues with dealers both in public forums and also directly, but I have never received a response form the company ever, although some of those problems could have set back any car company a few million dollars, such were the nature of the deficiencies in service or workmanship, some which could have jeopardised my life. I have faced burglary in the M&M-"owned" ASC NBS Automobiles in Bombay and the company cold-shouldered me. Either I am a crank or the company is irreverent and insensitive to its customers!?! BTW, I will check my records over the weekend, but I have spent nearly Rs 7-8 lakhs (or more) in maintaining these 2 M&M cars (all money in only M&M ASCs, and not outside garages), so you can't even say I am a "cheap" customer (the 2 cars have between them run 4 lakh kms).

I do not think it has anything to do with the age of the car, my car is well-maintained and I do not think there is a case for poorer service just because the car is old.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks