Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2011, 12:20   #2266
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Loosen the screws, put some silicon sealant under the antenna base and re tighten it. This should keep the water out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@dr_anurag: small addition to the above point by @4x4addict: fix /tighten the antenna when the sealant is still wet. Dries quite quickly.

You can use Anabond. M-Seal also has a similar product, should be available in most hardware stores.
The antenna has a single screw on the side which merely joins the antenna to the base. I could not loosen the base itself.
Old 7th June 2011, 12:25   #2267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_anurag View Post
... I could not loosen the base itself.
This has to be loosened from inside the cabin after removing the false ceiling from the front portion.
Old 10th June 2011, 16:42   #2268
BHPian

Gave my Scorpio SLE 2010 model for the 1st paid service today and the service advisor (Sireesh Auto) says that the front suspension link rod bush needs to be changed. I am really surprised as the vehicle has just done around 13000 kms or so mainly in the city. Can someone more knowlegeable throw more light on this ? Is this a part that gives away so easily or is it a QC issue or am I simply taken for a ride ?
Old 10th June 2011, 21:14   #2269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandras1 View Post
Gave my Scorpio SLE 2010 model for the 1st paid service today and the service advisor (Sireesh Auto) says that the front suspension link rod bush needs to be changed. I am really surprised as the vehicle has just done around 13000 kms or so mainly in the city. Can someone more knowlegeable throw more light on this ? Is this a part that gives away so easily or is it a QC issue or am I simply taken for a ride ?
I don't think they should wear out so fast. Just before my Scorp's 1st paid service [at 20k kms], I used to hear a "clunk" noise when it went over a speed breaker or thru a pothole at slow speeds; not everytime, but once in a while. The technician tightened the link rod, and the noise went away. I asked him to check the condition of the bushes as the vehicle was on the ramp anyway, and he opined that they looked absolutely okay.

Also, not many folks on this thread have reported this issue. So, if it's possible for you to get a 2nd opinion from an independent garage, I'd suggest you get it before acting on the SA's advice.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 10th June 2011, 22:56   #2270
BHPian

Vikram,
Thanks, Btw, it was rear suspension link rod bush, a rubber part. As I have a long drive ahead didn't want to take a chance and gave go ahead for the work. Total bill 8000/. Around 1000 for this job. Based on my past experience with hyundai (santro) and maruti (baleno), this looked lot higher and never had any suspension related issues at all. However SA did claim that in the older crde models they used to change this every 5000 kms or so and in the mhawks, it's changed around 15000 kms and this bush part is now out of warranty as well.

I did shell out my hard earned money, but wasn't a happy customer when I walked out of their service center. Also getting serious doubts about their QC practices... :-(
Old 12th June 2011, 08:41   #2271
BHPian

Hi all,

So finally I leave for Trip to Kinnaur, Spiti, Lahaul, Manali on Friday the 17th June.
I have a Non CRDE Scorpio done about 82,000 kms in fine shape.

In the past few months, as a preventive maintainence I had got the front suspension done, replacing all bushes and ball joints, shockers. The 2 Crosses of the Shaft were also replaced.

I had also got all rubber hoses of the cooling system, turbo changed. All fuel pipes also got replaced.

Yesterday my local trusted mechaninc yesterday tightened all the nut bolts of the chassis, sideboards etc. A lot of them were loose.

My mechanic advised me that I should get the shaft (I suppose he means the Cross etc) greased. He advised that the trucks etc regularly get this done.
His view was that the shaft is running very dry at cross etc, and the vehicle will become smoother once the greasing is done. It is hardly a 10 min job and doesn't cost anything.

I have never got greasing of the shaft done before, is it advisable ?

Also I have an almost 3 year old Amaron 65 AH Battery right now. It seems to be working just fine in the summer of Delhi. I am just thinking if I should replace it before I go with a 80 AH battery.

Styler

Last edited by Styler : 12th June 2011 at 08:56.
Old 12th June 2011, 10:13   #2272
Senior - BHPian

Styler, the sliding yoke end needs to be greased, get it done. It is not even a 10 min job. Get the battery checked through a competent electrician (specific gravity, individual cell conditions etc).

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2011, 20:52   #2273
Senior - BHPian

It is always a good idea to grease the universal joints and all those points where grease can be pumped to. First of all the pressure greasing gets rid of old grease. Secondly you have fresh grease which does no harm (unless it is a lighter one).

If you have an old battery, I would advise you to change it. Even though it may last, there is no sense it taking a risk.
Old 12th June 2011, 21:17   #2274
Senior - BHPian

^^ There is a limitation on how much grease needs to be pumped into, excess grease must be avoided. Generally, while greasing only that amount of grease is pushed into the grease nipple such that the grease slightly pops out. Any excess grease MUST BE AVOIDED!

Spike
Old 12th June 2011, 21:35   #2275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
^^ There is a limitation on how much grease needs to be pumped into, excess grease must be avoided. Generally, while greasing only that amount of grease is pushed into the grease nipple such that the grease slightly pops out. Any excess grease MUST BE AVOIDED!

Spike
I agree. But what I forgot to say, is that all the grease popped out should be wiped clean. As most of users do not grease regularly, it is a good practice to pop out all the old grease, especially if it has dried out, so that the bearings have fresh grease with no dirt embedded. In fact during my ambassador days, service meant greasing and then washing, ensuring all the excess grease is washed away and the nipples clean.
Old 13th June 2011, 07:06   #2276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^ There is a limitation on how much grease needs to be pumped into, excess grease must be avoided. Generally, while greasing only that amount of grease is pushed into the grease nipple such that the grease slightly pops out. Any excess grease MUST BE AVOIDED!...
I'm not sure I understand this.
If grease 'pops out' it means the bearing/grease-cup is full to capacity.
Where is the scope for excess? This is the 'overflow' method of greasing, and it is the correct way where thus specified.
There are other places where a measured quantity is pushed/pumped in, by volume or weight, as specified in the instructions.
Old 13th June 2011, 08:35   #2277
Senior - BHPian

^^ Anup, sometimes the grease gun is still pressed on to the nipple even though grease starts overflowing, which is not recommended. Hope it is clear now.

Spike
Old 13th June 2011, 08:43   #2278
Senior - BHPian

Thanks, Spike.
How does one control the overflow? People will pump till they see an overflow.
Also, what about 'replenishing' old grease by forcing out all the old grease?
Would that be a valid procedure?
Old 13th June 2011, 10:02   #2279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Styler, the sliding yoke end needs to be greased, get it done. It is not even a 10 min job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
It is always a good idea to grease the universal joints and all those points where grease can be pumped to. First of all the pressure greasing gets rid of old grease. Secondly you have fresh grease which does no harm (unless it is a lighter one).
I have a Feb 2010 mHawk SLE, but the maintenance schedule chart in the service booklet & user manual doesn't list any item related to greasing. Is greasing not required for a mHawk Scorpio? If it is required, at what km intervals should it be done and at what places?

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 13th June 2011 at 10:03.
Old 13th June 2011, 10:18   #2280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
I have a Feb 2010 mHawk SLE, but the maintenance schedule chart in the service booklet & user manual doesn't list any item related to greasing. Is greasing not required for a mHawk Scorpio? If it is required, at what km intervals should it be done and at what places?

Cheers,
Vikram
Not much idea of the interval and points in a Scorpio, but definitely there are grease points in the Universal Joints - "Cross". Others who have the mHawk can chip in. I have found the pumps where trucks are serviced to be knowledgeable in greasing locations of various trucks and SUV.

In general unless you have gone through water (or water has splashed a lot), the interval should not be less than 20k km, or two years. In case there is water ingress, it is better to grease ASAP to get rid of contaminants which may have got in.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks