Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2011, 21:55   #2251
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Just wondering if anyone faced this issue- I have an mhawk vlx 4X4 about 5 months old. It experienced its first rain, or rather a drizzle a couple of days back and I was surprised to see a few drops of water coming in through the bluetooth mic on the roof just under the antenna. I wonder what would happen in heavy rain. Any fixes please?
Old 5th June 2011, 00:05   #2252
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_anurag View Post
It experienced its first rain, or rather a drizzle a couple of days back and I was surprised to see a few drops of water coming in through the bluetooth mic on the roof just under the antenna. I wonder what would happen in heavy rain. Any fixes please?
Loosen the screws, put some silicon sealant under the antenna base and re tighten it. This should keep the water out.
Old 5th June 2011, 08:48   #2253
Distinguished - BHPian

@dr_anurag: small addition to the above point by @4x4addict: fix /tighten the antenna when the sealant is still wet. Dries quite quickly.

You can use Anabond. M-Seal also has a similar product, should be available in most hardware stores.
Old 5th June 2011, 15:25   #2254
BHPian

I have one question related to the central locking system. Mine is 2010 SLe, is it possible to configure the locking system so that the doors are locked automatically and can not be opened by other passengers from inside except the driver?.
With the current configuration I have, the doors get locked automatically after some time once the car starts moving but can be opened from inside by all the passengers and driver. I could not find this in the Nippon user manual. Thanks in advance for you reply.
Old 5th June 2011, 16:01   #2255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivapsreddy View Post
I have one question related to the central locking system. Mine is 2010 SLe, is it possible to configure the locking system so that the doors are locked automatically and can not be opened by other passengers from inside except the driver?.
With the current configuration I have, the doors get locked automatically after some time once the car starts moving but can be opened from inside by all the passengers and driver. I could not find this in the Nippon user manual. Thanks in advance for you reply.
Hi Shiva,
In nippon manual there is a setting by which all doors gets locked after switching on the ignition in 30 sec. Another setting is there by which it gets unlocked once to swtich off the ignition. If I understand you correctly, I think the first one is already active in your case.
But if the passenger wants, he can unlock individual door by the small lever on each door / lock. This is true with all central locking [nippon / autocop etc]
Scorpio Fan
Old 5th June 2011, 18:30   #2256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_fan View Post
But if the passenger wants, he can unlock individual door by the small lever on each door / lock. This is true with all central locking [nippon / autocop etc]
Except if the child lock is on for the rear doors, correct?

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 5th June 2011, 19:08   #2257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... is it possible to configure the locking system so that the doors are locked automatically and can not be opened by other passengers from inside except the driver?....
Shiva, this can only be done for the two rear doors and the tailgate. These three doors have a child lock feature - a little red knob on the door edge, can be seen with the door open, which has to be turned about a quarter turn to engage this feature.
This has nothing to do with the Nippon remote/central locking system.
Once the child lock is enabled the affected doors can only be opened from outside, if in unlocked condition.

Last edited by anupmathur : 5th June 2011 at 19:09.
anupmathur is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2011, 20:20   #2258
BHPian

Thanks for the replies but I am not talking about child locks, but with the nippon locking system. One of my friends has 2011 vlx and he told that in his scorpio all the doors are locked and can not be opened by passengers from inside unless the driver unlocks. I will check with him again.
Old 5th June 2011, 20:44   #2259
BHPian

most of the time the wire snaps due to Connecters hanging loose. Or it is pulled by some part . It may also happen while cleaning engine compartment . I suggest to always to check engine bay once in a week.
Old 5th June 2011, 21:44   #2260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Except if the child lock is on for the rear doors, correct?

Cheers,
Vikram
Correct Vikram, that is what I meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Shiva, this can only be done for the two rear doors and the tailgate. These three doors have a child lock feature - a little red knob on the door edge, can be seen with the door open, which has to be turned about a quarter turn to engage this feature.
This has nothing to do with the Nippon remote/central locking system.
Once the child lock is enabled the affected doors can only be opened from outside, if in unlocked condition.
But in this case even if the passenger wants he cannot open the door, only driver and too he has to come out of the car and open the door for the rear passengers.

Quote:
Thanks for the replies but I am not talking about child locks, but with the nippon locking system. One of my friends has 2011 vlx and he told that in his scorpio all the doors are locked and can not be opened by passengers from inside unless the driver unlocks. I will check with him again.
This I am not sure, I own a SLE. But to my understanding both VLX and SLE has the same central locking system. Even in my old vehicle, it was working the same way. When vehicle started all door gets locked, can be unloked [unlock all] by driver. But if a individual passenger wants he can turn the knob and unlock that specific door.

Regards,
Scorpio Fan
Old 5th June 2011, 21:50   #2261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.... I will check with him again.
No need to do that.
I'm certain he's got it wrong!
Old 6th June 2011, 07:56   #2262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_fan View Post
Hi Shiva,
In nippon manual there is a setting by which all doors gets locked after switching on the ignition in 30 sec. Another setting is there by which it gets unlocked once to swtich off the ignition. If I understand you correctly, I think the first one is already active in your case.
But if the passenger wants, he can unlock individual door by the small lever on each door / lock. This is true with all central locking [nippon / autocop etc] Scorpio Fan
The setting is indeed there both after switching on the engine and after taking off the key (I have got these set), the only issue is that there is no seperate locking mechanism in the vehicle (the additional knob like the old gen cars) as a result any door can be opened from inside with a double pull (except when child locked for rear doors)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
I was wondering if there was a recall of sorts for our vehicles. Good to know things have improved since the parts have been replaced.

This is interesting, because when I drove the 2010 Scorpio, I could swear that there was a drastic difference in the shift quality. The gears were slotting well and there was no rubbery feeling usually associated with gear shifting in the Scorpio.
Recall by M&M may be they will think about that in another 50 years or more. For every issue you have to convince and prove to the A.S.S. and M&M that the issue exists, else everything is as per the functionality of the vehicle. I have had to eacalate couple of issues right up to Pawan Goenka to get resolutions.

You are right there is a drastic difference in the pre 2010 Scorpio and the later ones, but no where near a silk smooth feel. But I guess we all know that when we buy a Mahindra, it is the hulk and bulk and not the finess of the vehicle.
Old 6th June 2011, 10:43   #2263
BHPian

I n complete agreement. Many a times, I felt my SLE was their Gini pig!
As if the rattling noise under the steering console and real bumper was not enough(reported earlier on this thread, and for both A.S.S has no solution) now it is the left side low beam leadlight that is playing the hide and seek game. The bulb is fine, but only works occasionally. Seem pretty much a loose connection, but cant find the location after trying for a week. Every time I take it to A.S.S, I return with a new problem, so I’m trying to live with the problems and solve myself than creating more.
Old 6th June 2011, 13:35   #2264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Recall by M&M may be they will think about that in another 50 years or more. For every issue you have to convince and prove to the A.S.S. and M&M that the issue exists, else everything is as per the functionality of the vehicle. I have had to eacalate couple of issues right up to Pawan Goenka to get resolutions.

You are right there is a drastic difference in the pre 2010 Scorpio and the later ones, but no where near a silk smooth feel. But I guess we all know that when we buy a Mahindra, it is the hulk and bulk and not the finess of the vehicle.
Yeah, I agree. There isn't much one can do. Sadly, I think that is the case with all companies in India and wouldn't single out M&M specifically. n.devdath's comment talked about clutch slave cylinder replacement for the early Scorps, which is why I was wondering if there was any recall of sorts. Maybe I have it confused with the Punto's clutch slave cylinder replacement. :(
I think Spike_Arrestor can clear the air on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Clutch slave cylinders and release bearings were replaced in a few batches of the initial MHawks. You could check it with your dealer.
Old 6th June 2011, 19:30   #2265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@dr_anurag: small addition to the above point by @4x4addict: fix /tighten the antenna when the sealant is still wet. Dries quite quickly.

You can use Anabond. M-Seal also has a similar product, should be available in most hardware stores.
I seem to have missed this post earlier.
I hope these glues being mentioned are not cyanoacrylate glue, or super glue in popular parlance!
Anabond is a company and it makes all types of adhesives.
Please exercise great caution if using cyanoacrylate glue; it bonds (human) skin within seconds! It can get painful and bloody!

The best bet is to use a rubber based adhesive (Fevibond) for this job, or silicone sealant. These are safe, will work well and they never harden, which is ideal for repairs on surfaces that have vibration that can break stiff-setting adhesives.

Last edited by anupmathur : 6th June 2011 at 19:31.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks